What should I (a non-"purist") get? (a 295? an NX5? Neither) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #1 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 47
What should I (a non-"purist") get? (a 295? an NX5? Neither)

Ok, first the disclaimer: Purists need not reply. (Skip the next paragraph unless you want to know why)…..
I may own some moderately decent equipment from time to time but a purist I am not. My first projector was a Sony vpl-vw40 way back when. I had it calibrated (by AVS), hated it. Ended up pumping up that contrast and brightness. My second projector was a JVC DLA-RS45, had it calibrated, same result. Now, I have a Sony vw600es, didn’t bother with calibration, just set it up till I loved it. I am way more likely to be watching Infinity War or Mission Impossible Fallout than I am Eternal Sunshine or One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Don’t get me wrong, those are great but Im an effects junkie), and when I watch them, I want them to look “ugly” to a purist. I want too much color and a bit too bright. Sorry.

Long story short, I am looking to replace my vw600es with something a bit more modern. My watching habits are probably 30% Movies, 20% Sports, 50% Gaming (and of that, 40% is on a top end PC, the other 10% on modern consoles). Obviously anything newer than what I have now will have HDR so, don’t really need to request that. But, 18gbps and 10bit would be….nice seeing as I can max that out easy from the PC while gaming (and the banding can be a bit noticeable on the current projo). Question is, would the vw295es fit the bill here? I am certainly not big on the whole “mystery contrast” (will surely be lower than what I have now) and brightness drops off as well. If not that, then is it worth it to jump to an NX5 (if I can ever actually find one). Or should I look for s decent used vw665 or maybe vw675 and go with that (granted, no 18gbps there). Whatever I get, I do like more “color” than the purists and like it bright as well….its mainly gaming anyway and purists don’t game…right? So, any suggestions or should I leave now before I get banned for not calibrating properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11809 Post(s)
Liked: 9346
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Gates View Post
Ok, first the disclaimer: Purists need not reply. (Skip the next paragraph unless you want to know why)…..
I may own some moderately decent equipment from time to time but a purist I am not. My first projector was a Sony vpl-vw40 way back when. I had it calibrated (by AVS), hated it. Ended up pumping up that contrast and brightness. My second projector was a JVC DLA-RS45, had it calibrated, same result. Now, I have a Sony vw600es, didn’t bother with calibration, just set it up till I loved it. I am way more likely to be watching Infinity War or Mission Impossible Fallout than I am Eternal Sunshine or One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Don’t get me wrong, those are great but Im an effects junkie), and when I watch them, I want them to look “ugly” to a purist. I want too much color and a bit too bright. Sorry.

Long story short, I am looking to replace my vw600es with something a bit more modern. My watching habits are probably 30% Movies, 20% Sports, 50% Gaming (and of that, 40% is on a top end PC, the other 10% on modern consoles). Obviously anything newer than what I have now will have HDR so, don’t really need to request that. But, 18gbps and 10bit would be….nice seeing as I can max that out easy from the PC while gaming (and the banding can be a bit noticeable on the current projo). Question is, would the vw295es fit the bill here? I am certainly not big on the whole “mystery contrast” (will surely be lower than what I have now) and brightness drops off as well. If not that, then is it worth it to jump to an NX5 (if I can ever actually find one). Or should I look for s decent used vw665 or maybe vw675 and go with that (granted, no 18gbps there). Whatever I get, I do like more “color” than the purists and like it bright as well….its mainly gaming anyway and purists don’t game…right? So, any suggestions or should I leave now before I get banned for not calibrating properly?
Between the 295 and the RS1000/NX5, I would pick the RS1000. It is brighter than the Sony, higher contrast, lens memory, better lens and auto tone mapping. But it is also more expensive than the Sony.
post #3 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
So I don't know for sure, but you may want to look into an Optoma UHZ65. This will give you good brightness, it's laser, etc. I dont know how well it works for gaming, or what your needs are with gaming... i.e. are you playing where a slight lag may affect you?

Other than that, maybe look into some big tvs. There are some 82-85"out there .. you can put it in whatever mode you like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post
So I don't know for sure, but you may want to look into an Optoma UHZ65. This will give you good brightness, it's laser, etc. I dont know how well it works for gaming, or what your needs are with gaming... i.e. are you playing where a slight lag may affect you?

Other than that, maybe look into some big tvs. There are some 82-85"out there .. you can put it in whatever mode you like.
He is replacing a VW600. I doubt he would want to go to a TV or the UHZ65.
post #5 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 983
I second the NX-5. Should give you what you want.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #6 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

I guess mainly, will I notice a difference between a 295 and an NX5...obviously the NX5 is superior in every way but price......

And with a current screen size of 110", and 85" TV isnt gonna cut it.

(And I know of course that is a bit of a subjective question since everyone is different, just trying to see if its worth it to go to the NX5 for me)
post #7 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I guess mainly, will I notice a difference between a 295 and an NX5...obviously the NX5 is superior in every way but price......

(And I know of course that is a bit of a subjective question since everyone is different, just trying to see if its worth it to go to the NX5 for me)
Both are good projectors. The RS1000/NX5 is the better performing projector. You have to decide if is enough better to pick it over the 295. But I will tell you this, Your VW600 has pretty good contrast, partly because of the dynamic iris. The 295 does not have a dynamic iris. To me the decision between those two projectors, based on what you own now, would be pretty simple.
post #8 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2282 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:

Unless you're watching still pictures...I haven't seen the NX5 in person but Sony's "True Cinema" motion and processor are outstanding.

Going by specs and reports, I would conclude the NX5 will be brighter and have better blacks due to its dynamic iris (DI) whereas the 295 does not have a DI. I expect that ANSI contrast will be better on the 295. The lens on 295 is an improved platform since your 600 series. Also, look at the Sony 295 owners' thread and the new JVC series threads to see what the owners are reporting. As far as price, street price on the JVC NX5 will be closer to the 295's and maybe cheaper than you think if you shop around.

For a 110 inch screen, the 295 will be plenty bright, but you can always use more with HDR. If you want great motion and an all around solid performer, go with the Sony. If you want a brighter image and the deeper blacks out of the two, go for the NX5.

Lastly, someone on this forum is selling his 695ES for around high sixes low sevens, if I recall. You may want to factor that into the mix. Good luck.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #9 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

I liked the tone mapping and overall image character of that projector more than any of the JVCs I've owned. And yes, it's laser, but the rainbow effect I was seeing on the UHZ65 kept me from going back to it.

Last edited by Aztar35; 02-21-2019 at 06:22 PM.
post #10 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Unless you're watching still pictures...I haven't seen the NX5 in person but Sony's "True Cinema" motion and processor are outstanding.

Going by specs and reports, I would conclude the NX5 will be brighter and have better blacks due to its dynamic iris (DI) whereas the 295 does not have a DI. I expect that ANSI contrast will be better on the 295. The lens on 295 is an improved platform since your 600 series. Also, look at the Sony 295 owners' thread and the new JVC series threads to see what the owners are reporting. As far as price, street price on the JVC NX5 will be closer to the 295's and maybe cheaper than you think if you shop around.

For a 110 inch screen, the 295 will be plenty bright, but you can always use more with HDR. If you want great motion and an all around solid performer, go with the Sony. If you want a brighter image and the deeper blacks out of the two, go for the NX5.

Lastly, someone on this forum is selling his 695ES for around high sixes low sevens, if I recall. You may want to factor that into the mix. Good luck.
If it is the poster I am thinking of, he sold his 695, bought an RS2000. The lens on the JVC is slightly sharper and the JVC has auto tone mapping for HDR.
post #11 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post

Awesome post thx for the tips!....As for price concerns, I am certainly not in a huge rush and more than willing to wiat a while if an NX could be had close to the 5-5500 realm
post #12 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome post thx for the tips!....As for price concerns, I am certainly not in a huge rush and more than willing to wiat a while if an NX could be had close to the 5-5500 realm
No problem. If I recall it was even less than that for the NX5, but I don't recall if that was for pre-order pricing at the time. Anyway, shop around.
post #13 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
You just knew I was coming...........

If you want brightness and punch and detail, and sharpness and shadow detail and depth out the wazoo, then you owe it to yourself to consider and demo the BenQ LK970 or just released LK990.

If you’re a total black level freak and care about nothing else, then look elsewhere. The real and perceived blacks on the BenQ are more than respectable and for HDR actually appear pretty damn good (brightness clamping down your eye’s iris).

One thing I can’t really comment on is gaming since I don’t do that.......at all. I think owner and user @tnaik4 does though so maybe he can comment on that?
Archibald1 likes this.
post #14 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4632 Post(s)
Liked: 2939
Quote:

I think a 295ES is a step down from your 600ES to be honest. It's dimmer, it has no iris and pretty poor black floor. If you're looking at 295ES, I'd just keep the 600ES in that case. The RS1000 / N5 should be a step up. The BenQ 990 sounds interesting also, but I'm not sure what its gaming lag specs are, its black floor will be poor, and I think it's double the cost of an RS1000.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #15 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
If you want brightness and punch and detail, and sharpness and shadow detail and depth out the wazoo, then you owe it to yourself to consider and demo the BenQ LK970 or just released LK990.

If you’re a total black level freak and care about nothing else, then look elsewhere.
You are funny, dude.
Dave Harper and Archibald1 like this.
post #16 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
You are funny, dude.

I know, but why is that particular quote funny?
post #17 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I think a 295ES is a step down from your 600ES to be honest. It's dimmer, it has no iris and pretty poor black floor. If you're looking at 295ES, I'd just keep the 600ES in that case. The RS1000 / N5 should be a step up. The BenQ 990 sounds interesting also, but I'm not sure what its gaming lag specs are, its black floor will be poor, and I think it's double the cost of an RS1000.

I think if he doesn’t care about 3D then the LK970 can be had much less and closer to the RS1000. My settings take care of HDR support and I think once calibrated the extra 1,000 lumens on the LK990 “may” not be realized.
post #18 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think if he doesn’t care about 3D then the LK970 can be had much less and closer to the RS1000. My settings take care of HDR support and I think once calibrated the extra 1,000 lumens on the LK990 “may” not be realized.
So what's the input lag for gaming?

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #19 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
So what's the input lag for gaming?

Like I alluded to in my original post, I don’t game and I have no idea. That’s why I mentioned @tnaik4 since I think he does.

It certainly could be a show stopper. I guess it all depends on how serious of a gamer the OP is.
post #20 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Like I alluded to in my original post, I don’t game and I have no idea. That’s why I mentioned @tnaik4 since I think he does.

It certainly could be a show stopper. I guess it all depends on how serious of a gamer the OP is.
Well he said 50% gaming - and that was the single largest activity cited for his new projector. I think it should be considered the #1 priority in that case.

post #21 of 93 Old 02-21-2019, 11:50 PM

What should I (a non-"purist") get? (a 295? an NX5? Neither)

Quote:
Well he said 50% gaming - and that was the single largest activity cited for his new projector. I think it should be considered the #1 priority in that case.

True, but is it more for fun on the big screen like my son who never mentions anything about lag times when he’s playing on any of my various displays and the LK970, or is the OP a serious competitive gamer where that really matters?

The “50%” he’s talking about appears to be merely the amount of time spent on said subject, so you could be right, but I don’t think we know yet until he confirms one way or the other.

By this logic, he also said “bright”, so that would leave out all the other options as far as I’m concerned.
post #22 of 93 Old 02-22-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:

What size and aspect ratio is your screen and what fabric in your screen? Also, throw distance?

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 02-22-2019 at 08:35 AM.
post #23 of 93 Old 02-22-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
True, but is it more for fun on the big screen like my son who never mentions anything about lag times when he’s playing on any of my various displays and the LK970, or is the OP a serious competitive gamer where that really matters?

The “50%” he’s talking about appears to be merely the amount of time spent on said subject, so you could be right, but I don’t think we know yet until he confirms one way or the other.

By this logic, he also said “bright”, so that would leave out all the other options as far as I’m concerned.
How can you say that without knowing anything about his screen or throw? He could have a 92" 2.8 gain HP screen for all we know.
Reddig likes this.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 02-22-2019 at 08:37 AM.
post #24 of 93 Old 02-22-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know, but why is that particular quote funny?
Because it's so categorical and over-the-top. I thought you were engaging in obvious hyperbole to be funny.
Reddig and Archibald1 like this.
post #25 of 93 Old 02-22-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
How can you say that without knowing anything about his screen or throw? He could have a 92" 2.8 gain HP screen for all we know.

True, but either way it’s still brighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
Because it's so categorical and over-the-top. I thought you were engaging in obvious hyperbole to be funny.

Well yeah, it was kind of meant to be a little over the top, but the adjectives are still accurate.

Why are people so tightly wound around here? Loosen up and enjoy this stuff!

I wonder if folks who own and are passionate about their pools have a forum where they argue back and forth about pH levels and stuff?
Archibald1 likes this.
post #26 of 93 Old 02-22-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why are people so tightly wound around here? Loosen up and enjoy this stuff!
Agree 100%. I've said this exact thing several times on various threads. At the same time, when people who are not as invested in the hobby or not as knowledgeable ask for advice, like in the situation with the OP, I think it's important to provide good advice that has a measure of perspective and balance, as opposed to statements that are dogmatic or exaggerated.
post #27 of 93 Old 02-22-2019, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

I was basically in the same position about 6 months ago. I'm not a purist and didn't even have any experience personally with modern projectors - my projector at the time was a Panasonic AE7000U. In terms of hours I'm sure I'm over 50% gaming though I still want a great image for movies. My only firm requirements were native 4K and acceptable input lag.

I ultimately pre-ordered with the RS2000 which arrived last week and I couldn't be more happy with it. If I had to cut the budget the RS1000 would have been my second choice. You should be able to find one in your price range if you talk to a dealer or two.
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #28 of 93 Old 02-22-2019, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ok ok, so yeah guess i left out some key details. Screen is a 16x9 110" (actually, maybe its a 106"...Ill measure). Projector lens is 14' from the screen. The screen is a 10 year old Da-Lite that I got from AVS, the specs of said screen are probably NOT what anyone here would recommend (and I dont know the gain actually), but after the projector, there will be a screen update at some point down the line.

As for use, yep about 50% gaming and currently I have very little issues with noticing input lag with my vw600es so Ill wager most newer projectors will be just fine in that regard (yeah sure playing NBA or Forza and its a bit noticeable but.....not a deal breaker). As for my "to bright to much contrast" settings, Ill see about grabbing a pic of my current settings and posting them here for all to point and laugh at.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #29 of 93 Old 02-22-2019, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wonder if folks who own and are passionate about their pools have a forum where they argue back and forth about pH levels and stuff?
I dont have a pool, but I DO have a saltwater fishtank and the answer Id wager is YES, because man, the fishtank people can be just as "tightly wound" as some Home Theater folks. To me, its always just been something fun to have and if I like it, and the family likes it, little else really matters. When it comes to the fish.....wrong Nitrate levels and...things begin to DIE so that is a tad more important I suppose.
Dave Harper and Archibald1 like this.
post #30 of 93 Old 02-22-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The screen is a 10 year old Da-Lite that I got from AVS, the specs of said screen are probably NOT what anyone here would recommend (and I dont know the gain actually), but after the projector, there will be a screen update at some point down the line.
Is the screen a Da-Lite High Power screen, by chance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page