• 1 Post By DCSmith1239
  • 1 Post By JeffR1

post #1 of 8 Old 03-01-2019, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sony vpl-w50 yellow image

I'm looking to rebuild a vw50 for a friend and looking into where to start. The unit works great except a sepia tone to everything. I am trying to rebuild the lens assembly and sxrd panels. Most likely need to replace the blue one. As well as the associated filter. Has anyone done this before and do they have any advice. Also thinking of removing all lenses and cleaning them in an ultrasonic washer.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-01-2019, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSmith1239 View Post
I'm looking to rebuild a vw50 for a friend and looking into where to start. The unit works great except a sepia tone to everything. I am trying to rebuild the lens assembly and sxrd panels. Most likely need to replace the blue one. As well as the associated filter. Has anyone done this before and do they have any advice. Also thinking of removing all lenses and cleaning them in an ultrasonic washer.

Thoughts?
Hi,

why do you want to go through all that trouble for a 10-12 years old projector? Replacing the SXRD panel + its polarizer filter will cost more than actually buying a whole VW50 on the used market. Why do you think the yellowing is caused by the panel and not just by the polarizer filter? As with most LCD-based projectors, The SXRD panels are probably glued and tightly screwed in place. Removing one is hardwork, and then aligning the new one to the smallest fraction of a millimeter is a nearly impossible task if you don't have specialized equipment. Finally, what do you mean by "removing all lenses"? You mean all the ones inside the light path, or the frontal lens too? If you don't find much dust inside the projector, it's unlikely there will be dust inside the light path. I have no idea about the ultrasonic washer, but once I tried distilled water on an polarizer and it took the coating away, so that's something not to try again. Usually, to clean these elements (not the frontal lens), compressed air is good, but make sure you remove each glass one by one and blow the air far away from the opened projector, and also make sure you blow the air in a tangential direction to the surface you're cleaning; make sure you don't change the placement and/or position of the glass you're cleaning. And don't do it unless it's necessary. If it looks clean, then it's clean enough. I don't want to discourage you, it should be a fun experiment, but it will be a lot of work without guarantee of great results.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-02-2019, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Ok so I can see leaving the lense assembly alone. I already have to projector. It was actually below 100.00$ shipped. I'm more interested in this as an experiment in can I do it.i realize alignment is critical and the results wont be 100% perfect. I have managed to find an sxrd221 panel for about 95.00US and a filter for around 25.00US. So I figure sub 300.00 all in it could be a good learning experiance.
Archibald1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-02-2019, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Just yesterday I saw one on eBay for 150$, fully functional (or so te seller said...). I agree with you in that it should be a fun experience. Just know that the slightest misalignment will cause severe convergence problem of the blue color. I would even suggest you only replace the polarizer for a start. Posting a picture of the issue may help us helping you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 Old 05-08-2019, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Ok so I'll try and get images up later. The entire screen has a yellow hue/tint to it. No amount of adjustments seems to make a difference. Is there anything special I need to know in regards to the blue polarizing filters? Is there a known good source anyone can recommend?
post #6 of 8 Old 05-11-2019, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSmith1239 View Post
Ok so I'll try and get images up later. The entire screen has a yellow hue/tint to it. No amount of adjustments seems to make a difference. Is there anything special I need to know in regards to the blue polarizing filters? Is there a known good source anyone can recommend?
In case we're talking about a completely uniform yellow hue, then it may have more to do with the blue LCD (yeah, I know they call it SXRD) connection. Indeed we need pictures.

As for sources of polarizing filters, usually they're chinese. The polarizing filter should come properly framed and ready to install, so nothing much to know about it.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-11-2019, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 19
There was a case with x9000 jvc, that the whole picture had a yellow color. I advised to check the optics. It turned out you just need to clean the lens. Everything became ok, the yellowness passed.

Отправить отзыв

Last edited by Slonopot; 05-11-2019 at 08:45 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-11-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonopot View Post
There was a case with x9000 jvc, that the whole picture had a yellow color. I advised to check the optics. It turned out you just need to clean the lens. Everything became ok, the yellowness passed.

Отправить отзыв
That projector must have been in the house where someone smoked, burned candles, burned wood in a fireplace and or used the deep fryer a lot.

It sounds like the VW50 is suffering from the typical contrast degradation problem where one or more of the polarizers are making things appear sepia.
The polarizers in many of the Sony models from that era were very fragile, things like to much humidity and temperature changes from poor storage and even not enough use would deteriorate them.

Wish I had the time to play around on an aging projector like that...
Archibald1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page