Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-01-2019, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 406
JVC DLA - dim picture

Hi all!

I have a JVC DLA RS-67 with about 1800 hours on the original lamp, always on low other than the handful of 3D movies I have watched. Lately I feel like the image is noticeably dimmer than I think it should be. I tried setting the lamp to High but that didn't help much.

In your experience, is this just a case of the bulb wearing out? JVC claims 4500 hours and 1800 seems awfully short of that. How often do you replace JVC bulbs?

How often (if ever) do you clean the lens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-01-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11817 Post(s)
Liked: 9352
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwaggs View Post
Hi all!

I have a JVC DLA RS-67 with about 1800 hours on the original lamp, always on low other than the handful of 3D movies I have watched. Lately I feel like the image is noticeably dimmer than I think it should be. I tried setting the lamp to High but that didn't help much.

In your experience, is this just a case of the bulb wearing out? JVC claims 4500 hours and 1800 seems awfully short of that. How often do you replace JVC bulbs?

The RS67 lamp was rated for 3,000 in high and 4,000 in low. That is to half life. What size is your screen, aspect ratio and gain? Number of lamp strikes can make a difference also. What I mean, turn on projector and run it one hour, turn off and then turn on for another hour, turn off and then turn on for another hour. That would be three hours of use, but it puts more wear on the lamp than turning the projector on for three hours.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-01-2019, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The RS67 lamp was rated for 3,000 in high and 4,000 in low. That is to half life. What size is your screen, aspect ratio and gain? Number of lamp strikes can make a difference also. What I mean, turn on projector and run it one hour, turn off and then turn on for another hour, turn off and then turn on for another hour. That would be three hours of use, but it puts more wear on the lamp than turning the projector on for three hours.
JVC rep told me they had one customer burn out 3 bulbs in 6 months. JVC sent someone to his house to look at the unit as they thought it may be defective. Turned out the customer was turning the unit off every time anyone left the room to "save the bulb time". The constant on/off killed the bulb in a couple of months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-01-2019, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks Mike! Its a light controlled, darkly decorated, dedicated theater. 120" unity gain screen.

The lamp strikes is something I didn't consider. I would say that on average, I watch for 3-4 hours per session. Some longer, some shorter but I would say 3 on average. Its almost exclusivly movie watching.

3 hours average would be 600 lamp strikes making my total hours 1800 + 600 = 2400 hours on low.

So 4000 hours to half life means what? Lamp burns out or brightness is reduced to XX% of original brightness?

Is the light path sealed on the JVC PJ? Is there a possibility of airborne particles dirtying up the internal optics?
post #5 of 12 Old 03-01-2019, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff60 View Post
JVC rep told me they had one customer burn out 3 bulbs in 6 months. JVC sent someone to his house to look at the unit as they thought it may be defective. Turned out the customer was turning the unit off every time anyone left the room to "save the bulb time". The constant on/off killed the bulb in a couple of months.

Wow. That sounds painful considering the time it takes the PJ to turn off and on!
post #6 of 12 Old 03-01-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Is the light path sealed on the JVC PJ? Is there a possibility of airborne particles dirtying up the internal optics?
This webpage shows how much dust can get inside the light path:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/jvc...block.2126897/

I don't think the design has changed much on your model, but other people here probably know better.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-01-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11817 Post(s)
Liked: 9352
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Thanks Mike! Its a light controlled, darkly decorated, dedicated theater. 120" unity gain screen.

The lamp strikes is something I didn't consider. I would say that on average, I watch for 3-4 hours per session. Some longer, some shorter but I would say 3 on average. Its almost exclusivly movie watching.

3 hours average would be 600 lamp strikes making my total hours 1800 + 600 = 2400 hours on low.

So 4000 hours to half life means what? Lamp burns out or brightness is reduced to XX% of original brightness?

If you are at the short end of the throw, you would get around 900 lumens (high lamp iris fully open) out of the RS67. At half live we would be looking at around 450 lumens. That would give you 10.5FL. I did not ask your throw distance, if it is longer than minimum, then you will have even less brightness. So I could see where at 1,800 lumens, you could be on the dim side.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-01-2019, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:
Hi all!

You'll never get 4500 hours. I remember my x500r (same basic series as your RS6710), bulbs would get put on high at 1000 hours and replaced around 1500 hours. New bulb brightens it back to where it was. You should just get a new bulb and see.

The newer series starting with RS500 seemed to about double the usable life of the bulb. I hit 3200 hours on my last RS500 bulb before even having to go to high.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-01-2019, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you are at the short end of the throw, you would get around 900 lumens (high lamp iris fully open) out of the RS67. At half live we would be looking at around 450 lumens. That would give you 10.5FL. I did not ask your throw distance, if it is longer than minimum, then you will have even less brightness. So I could see where at 1,800 lumens, you could be on the dim side.
Thanks agian Mike,

My throw is around 14 feet, if I remember correctly. I've never used the dynamic or static iris.

Regardless of how bright it could be, my question is around the fact that I thought the brightness was good when I first setup the PJ 30 months ago and today it looks noticeably dimmer with crushed blacks at less than 1/2 the advertised bulb life.

I have no problem trying a new bulb, I'm just wondering if less than 1/2 the advertised life is normal. After all, nobody ever gets the EPA estimated mileage out of a new car!
post #10 of 12 Old 03-01-2019, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
You'll never get 4500 hours. I remember my x500r (same basic series as your RS6710), bulbs would get put on high at 1000 hours and replaced around 1500 hours. New bulb brightens it back to where it was. You should just get a new bulb and see.

The newer series starting with RS500 seemed to about double the usable life of the bulb. I hit 3200 hours on my last RS500 bulb before even having to go to high.
Thanks @markmon1 ! This is the feedback I was looking for. I received an extra bulb with the JVC when I bought it so I can easily give that a try. I didn't want to try the new bulb if I was way out of range of normal life of a bulb.

BTW - You wouldn't happen to have pinball machines at your place, would you?
post #11 of 12 Old 03-01-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:
Thanks @markmon1 ! This is the feedback I was looking for. I received an extra bulb with the JVC when I bought it so I can easily give that a try. I didn't want to try the new bulb if I was way out of range of normal life of a bulb.

BTW - You wouldn't happen to have pinball machines at your place, would you?
Yes, a bunch, lol Why?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-01-2019, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Yes, a bunch, lol Why?

I recognized your name from Pinside. Small world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page