JVC NX5 vs NX7 on 80" - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 03-12-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
But he said he’s putting it in a custom library. Doesn’t sound like a dark man cave theater space.

You are saying 36 fL will be too bright with an 80” screen. Will that also be too bright for say a 77” OLED? Because a TV will be above 36.

16 is ideal for a theater, but is not enough once you start getting ambient light. 36 is hardly enough. He will be fine with either projector.
There's a big difference between an OLED TV that can dim any pixel to zero and a projector with a fixed light source relying solely on an iris and the LCD panels to dim the image.

That OLED will have a sensor for adjusting the output as the room gets darker and will be easily capable of dimming down to a comfortable setting without sacrificing color or contrast. The NX5 will already be at the dimmest setting possible, so there is no protection there and no way to even manually make it dimmer as the lights go down in the room.

Sure, when the room is fully lit up, that projector will look better with 36 or even 60 fL, although without a nice ALR screen the contrast will be horrifically bad. Chances are, he watches it at night with the lights down, in which case it will be too bright in some cases with no option to dim it down. And with lights up, goodbye contrast again. It's still a lose/lose situation. You don't buy a projector to watch TV in a bright room, and if you do, you don't do it with a white vinyl 1.3 gain screen, you use ALR screens, most likely with a gray or slate colored material.

Personally I wouldn't spend $5k+ on a video display that will only work under certain conditions, but to each their own. You are welcome to your opinion on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 03-12-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Which is the first thing I turned off on all 3 of my OLEDs

To be clear, anytime someone wants an 80” screen when TVs are hitting those sizes, most times I agree TV is the best option. He’s already said the TV is out.

Really we are all guessing. Without knowing how many foot candles of light are hitting the screen area during viewing, this is all guesswork and kind of moot.

NX5 / Panamorph / SI Slate Zero Edge Pro / Salamander Designs / AQ Niagra
AV8805 / UB9000 / AppleTV 4K / PS4 Pro / Connect / Node 2i / RPM-10 C
C1100 / D1100 / MC303s / 800D3 / HTM1D3 / 702 S2 / CCM7.3 / PC4000s

Last edited by RaceCarDriver; 03-12-2019 at 01:20 PM.
post #33 of 40 Old 03-12-2019, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
I think this may be the answer you're looking for....

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED65R...ure-oled-4k-tv
I'm just going to slide this in here again.... it might not be the size you want but it sounds like the compromise you *need*......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 03-12-2019, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Related question

I am in a similar situation, trying to decide between the NX5 and NX7 for use with a 110" Stewart firehawk screen with a 1.3 gain.
This is in a dark basement room (no windows). Is there enough benefit in visual difference to justify the increased cost?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
post #35 of 40 Old 03-12-2019, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I HAVE the same screen size, thats not puny, its already very impressive especially when paired with a 0.95 DMD DLP or an older JVC. The beauty of this size is that the poster NEED not go after the latest or the greatest, he will saved a lot of money by going for the older JVCs, ideally models from 2015 and onwards. I also owned a Sony AF8-65" but a TV, even an OLED, just don't cut it for film viewing in nine out of 10 opportune time. A screen - even a cute 80" - will retain still all the cinematic magic that I cannot part with since 2004....
post #36 of 40 Old 03-13-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrausher View Post
I am in a similar situation, trying to decide between the NX5 and NX7 for use with a 110" Stewart firehawk screen with a 1.3 gain.
This is in a dark basement room (no windows). Is there enough benefit in visual difference to justify the increased cost?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Frankly, either one will give you an amazing image. The NX7's extra iris gives it significantly more contrast, and in the dark basement on that size and gain of screen, this would be very noticeable, particularly on darker scenes. With your size of screen you can take advantage of the P3 color filter and get the full P3 range and still have more than enough light to make both SDR and HDR pop. So basically if you want better contrast and color, go with the NX7. Otherwise either one would do just fine for you.

Keep in mind, the NX5 will still have better contrast than a Sony or Epson, and neither of these is a slouch in terms of contrast. Some people put a lot of weight behind contrast though, and if you are one of them, then you would probably be far happier with the NX7.

You have a tough choice there because $2k is a big difference for some added contrast and color. Either one will work for your setup. It's like choosing between a top end LCD and an OLED TV, both are pretty great, but it's a question of how much that added pop of better contrast and color is worth to you. Frankly if I had a "normal" sized screen I would have had a tough choice between the two. I went with the NX7/RS2000 because I needed the most possible light I could get. I also figured if I were going to drop a big pile of cash, I wanted the best I could get. If the NX9 had been about $3k cheaper, I would have gone that route just because the bigger lens got more light to the screen. Everyone has their budget limit.

One more thing, if you wanted an NX5 right now and are in the U.S., dealers have them in stock on the shelves ready to ship today. I'm still weeks out on my RS2000/NX7 that I ordered back in early November, and without a pre-order, it could be June before you could get one.
post #37 of 40 Old 03-25-2019, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Though I have a separate home theater room with a 100" screen and I very recently bought a 65" OLED for the front room, when you are only talking of 80" you owe it to yourself to go look at an OLED in this size bracket because no matter the projector it can't approach the level of blacks an OLED offers plus they can be used to great effect with ambient light. All this before you factor in what's already built in like Amazon prime, Netflix etc.

I genuinely wouldn't even consider a projector if I were limited to this size of screen simply because TVs tech has moved to the point where this size isn't that expensive when compared to a decent high end PJ.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #38 of 40 Old 03-25-2019, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
Why not just buy a LG 77" Oled???
I Also Love the NAS quote
post #39 of 40 Old 03-30-2019, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks all.

In fact I already have a 77" LG OLED in my family room (and love it!).

I remeasured my screen size and it is a 120".

I am now waiting for my NX7 to arrive. I appreciate the advice above.

DBR
post #40 of 40 Old 04-01-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6401 Post(s)
Liked: 6397
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCapitalism View Post
Wall Real estate. I have an electric drop down screen. The screen blocks windows actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCapitalism View Post
I have this whole custom library & cabinets. I just don't have any where to put the lift. It's a beautiful room just not so big ass tv friendly. For that matter not acoustically friendly either.
Makes sense on why you have to go with a projector. Don't let your dealer pressure you into something you do not want, what is good for your dealer "may" not be what is good for you Would be nice to get a head to head on these though....
avsBuddy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page