AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Please just tell me what projector to buy (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3055454-please-just-tell-me-what-projector-buy.html)

paulkorb 03-09-2019 01:10 PM

Please just tell me what projector to buy
 
The discussions on here are far too technical for me. Given the below facts, I hope someone can make a recommendation. Much appreciated!


  1. Room is completely dark
  2. 120" screen size (need to buy)
  3. Viewing distance: 12'.
  4. Projector distance from lens to screen: 14'
  5. Source material: almost all 1080p (blu ray, sports, streaming)
  6. Projector price: <= $10,000, screen: <=$3000
  7. Time frame: now and 7/2020 so I can wait to see if Epson has a new cool projector
  8. Prefer a low fan noise (who doesn't)
  9. "Best" picture possible


I am grateful for any and all insights.

dbpaddler 03-09-2019 01:20 PM

If you're happy with 1080p, wouldn't an old JVC do the trick. What was once over 3k can be had used under a grand easy. Have 1080 projectors improved much since my RS45?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Mike Garrett 03-09-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulkorb (Post 57720394)
The discussions on here are far too technical for me. Given the below facts, I hope someone can make a recommendation. Much appreciated!


  1. Room is completely dark
  2. 120" screen size (need to buy)
  3. Viewing distance: 12'.
  4. Projector distance from lens to screen: 14'
  5. Source material: almost all 1080p (blu ray, sports, streaming)
  6. Projector price: <= $10,000, screen: <=$3000
  7. Time frame: now and 7/2020 so I can wait to see if Epson has a new cool projector
  8. Prefer a low fan noise (who doesn't)
  9. "Best" picture possible


I am grateful for any and all insights.

Two that I would look at are JVC RS2000 and Sony VW695.

Doran 03-09-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Garrett (Post 57721486)
Two that I would look at are JVC RS2000 and Sony VW695.

I would like to piggy back off this for anyone generous enough to weigh in. I've been following the forum for some time but am a novice so after hours of reading I'm still trying to figure out the best option for me (have not been able to compare in person).

Budget: $5-10k
ceiling mounted projector is 14.5' from screen (seating is about the same)
Thinking about 115-120" diagonal screen but open to other suggestions
35% tv (youtube tv/apple tv/netflix), 20% sports, 30% movies, 15% xbox
Dark walls and ceiling, wall windows on far side of room (10-15 ft from screen) can be blacked out or allow in non-direct sunlight
*while I will black out for movies, I want to be able to play sports and tv with dimmed overhead light or ambient light from windows

Given my preference for the ability to use in ambient light, would the JVC 2000 be bright enough? Or should I go for the BenQ 990 for the brightness, etc.? Also, given I'll be watching majority tv and sports, is the Sony's motion so appreciably better that I should choose over the JVC.

Also, as for screen I was considering the .9 Seymour MBw or the 1.3 Seymour SE silver screen.

I was hoping to wait on further comparisons by Arrow, etc. but as that has continued to be pushed out, ready to go ahead and order with a little faith and expert advice from you guys.

Thanks and also interested for and dealers that want to reach out for the purchase. I don't have a dealer lined up.

paulkorb 03-10-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Garrett (Post 57721486)
Two that I would look at are JVC RS2000 and Sony VW695.

Thanks. I had a couple of concerns on the 2000:

- lower contrast level than 7900

- they don't publish fan noise levels. I called JVC and the said it's the same as their other projectors. I don't believe them though until they are published. Fan noise is not a hard thing to measure after all.

I hadn't checked into the 695 yet other than their contrast is not as good as the JVC and it is apparently not as bright.

I am leaning toward the JVC 7900 but the eshift audible noise would bother me. I assume I can turn eshift off and the noise goes away? I mostly watch blu ray and TV so unless someone opens up a 4K disc rental operation, it will probably stay that way as I don't want to spend $30 on a movie I might not even like. Most of the stuff that Amazon and Netflix stream in 4K are what I would consider B-level productions with respect to their theatrical quality and an improved screen resolution is not going to make the story smarter or the direction any better.

Why is this so hard?

ScottAvery 03-11-2019 08:00 AM

Even with a bluray source the 7900 looks better with eShift on.

If your purchase is a year away you are shopping way too soon.

pjp 03-11-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doran (Post 57721670)
I would like to piggy back off this for anyone generous enough to weigh in. I've been following the forum for some time but am a novice so after hours of reading I'm still trying to figure out the best option for me (have not been able to compare in person).

Budget: $5-10k
ceiling mounted projector is 14.5' from screen (seating is about the same)
Thinking about 115-120" diagonal screen but open to other suggestions
35% tv (youtube tv/apple tv/netflix), 20% sports, 30% movies, 15% xbox
Dark walls and ceiling, wall windows on far side of room (10-15 ft from screen) can be blacked out or allow in non-direct sunlight
*while I will black out for movies, I want to be able to play sports and tv with dimmed overhead light or ambient light from windows

Given my preference for the ability to use in ambient light, would the JVC 2000 be bright enough? Or should I go for the BenQ 990 for the brightness, etc.? Also, given I'll be watching majority tv and sports, is the Sony's motion so appreciably better that I should choose over the JVC.

Also, as for screen I was considering the .9 Seymour MBw or the 1.3 Seymour SE silver screen.

I was hoping to wait on further comparisons by Arrow, etc. but as that has continued to be pushed out, ready to go ahead and order with a little faith and expert advice from you guys.

Thanks and also interested for and dealers that want to reach out for the purchase. I don't have a dealer lined up.

???????????????

Seems like either you should just watch this thread to get feedback on OP's requirements or start your own thread if you want suggestions specific to your requirements. To intermix your requirements with the OP's before feedback has even started detracts heavily from the quality of the discussion in my opinion.

paulkorb 03-11-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottAvery (Post 57727712)
Even with a bluray source the 7900 looks better with eShift on.

If your purchase is a year away you are shopping way too soon.


Thanks ... I am ready to purchase now but can wait until 7-2020 which is when my bulb will need replacing. (I don't want to spend money on a new bulb for an old projector).


Is the eShift audible noise still occurring? I am sure I would not like a high-pitched noise interfering with the sound, even if it is not that loud.

ScottAvery 03-11-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulkorb (Post 57728260)
Thanks ... I am ready to purchase now but can wait until 7-2020 which is when my bulb will need replacing. (I don't want to spend money on a new bulb for an old projector).


Is the eShift audible noise still occurring? I am sure I would not like a high-pitched noise interfering with the sound, even if it is not that loud.

eShift noise seems to be problematic on only a few machines but seems to vary. Those who have had replacements often comment that it is more or less bothersome on the new device. It is quieter than the fan on mine. There are options to control any projector noise, from absorption panels to full hush boxes.

Projector pricing and technology growth change at a considerable rate. I would only buy now for that 2020 bulb deadline if I was ready to use it immediately and live with it for some time. If you are happy with what you have then you are guaranteed to get a better deal next year. If you want to go now, the 790/7900 is the best deal in AV, and you'll save $6k for room treatment.

paulkorb 03-11-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottAvery (Post 57728598)
eShift noise seems to be problematic on only a few machines but seems to vary. Those who have had replacements often comment that it is more or less bothersome on the new device. It is quieter than the fan on mine. There are options to control any projector noise, from absorption panels to full hush boxes.

Projector pricing and technology growth change at a considerable rate. I would only buy now for that 2020 bulb deadline if I was ready to use it immediately and live with it for some time. If you are happy with what you have then you are guaranteed to get a better deal next year. If you want to go now, the 790/7900 is the best deal in AV, and you'll save $6k for room treatment.


Thanks!


You mentioned absorption panels. I am curious to know more about that because I was wondering about some kind of hush-box-lite that would not use ventilation. Something like a drape or an enclosure around the projector that had sound absorption materials but that still met the manufacturer's requirements for air space. Like maybe a drape that went 12" around the unit (except the front of course). Or a shelf that had the interior treated for sound and that had a good 12" all around it for air.


Any thoughts on that idea or is it better not to mess with air flow at all unless one goes the whole hush-box route?

ScottAvery 03-11-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulkorb (Post 57729444)
Thanks!


You mentioned absorption panels. I am curious to know more about that because I was wondering about some kind of hush-box-lite that would not use ventilation. Something like a drape or an enclosure around the projector that had sound absorption materials but that still met the manufacturer's requirements for air space. Like maybe a drape that went 12" around the unit (except the front of course). Or a shelf that had the interior treated for sound and that had a good 12" all around it for air.


Any thoughts on that idea or is it better not to mess with air flow at all unless one goes the whole hush-box route?

Absorption above the projector will reduce the sound measurably without interfering at all with air flow, at negligible cost. For Atmos you are supposed to treat the ceiling anyway. A hush box will reduce sound 90+% but is crazy expensive to do correctly. I have every intention of building a shelf with insulation (duct liner at a mimimium) just as you describe. I have seen it in high end designs so I have to assume it has been tested to perform favorably.

AV_Integrated 03-11-2019 03:26 PM

I think anyone with a truly dark theater needs to be in the JVC camp pretty heavily. The DLA-X790, last years model, delivers in spades with top tier contrast and it is a native 1080p projector which can pixel shift 4K content very well, at times appearing sharper than the native Sony models.

I wouldn't want you to waste money on more projector than you need. Instead, consider how 'dark' your dark theater is. Is it painted truly dark? Can you make it darker? Can you add accent lighting to improve the space? Do you need it all installed? Do you need a really good remote to run the show reliably?

For a screen, in a dark theater space, I would be looking at the DaLite HD Progressive materials pretty firmly. The minimal gain models are ideal for dark theater viewing.

Your budget is certainly nice, but if you have a local expert who can come by your home theater space, then maybe they can give you some recommendations that are tough to get online.

DunMunro 03-11-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

The BenQ CinePro HT9060 DLP LED PROJECTOR is in many ways the best projector I’ve ever reviewed. It isn’t cheap, but I think it’s worth every penny.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/
Seems to be worth considering.

paulkorb 03-12-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AV_Integrated (Post 57730334)
I think anyone with a truly dark theater needs to be in the JVC camp pretty heavily. The DLA-X790, last years model, delivers in spades with top tier contrast and it is a native 1080p projector which can pixel shift 4K content very well, at times appearing sharper than the native Sony models.

I wouldn't want you to waste money on more projector than you need. Instead, consider how 'dark' your dark theater is. Is it painted truly dark? Can you make it darker? Can you add accent lighting to improve the space? Do you need it all installed? Do you need a really good remote to run the show reliably?

For a screen, in a dark theater space, I would be looking at the DaLite HD Progressive materials pretty firmly. The minimal gain models are ideal for dark theater viewing.

Your budget is certainly nice, but if you have a local expert who can come by your home theater space, then maybe they can give you some recommendations that are tough to get online.


Thanks for the response. Yes, the room is entirely dark and is painted dark grey and black. The carpet is black also.



"Local experts" are a bit hard to come by these days it seems. The guys who did it 18 and 11 years ago are long out of business. I live in St. Louis, so if you know of someone, would appreciate the info. Thanks again!

paulkorb 03-12-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottAvery (Post 57729854)
Absorption above the projector will reduce the sound measurably without interfering at all with air flow, at negligible cost. For Atmos you are supposed to treat the ceiling anyway. A hush box will reduce sound 90+% but is crazy expensive to do correctly. I have every intention of building a shelf with insulation (duct liner at a mimimium) just as you describe. I have seen it in high end designs so I have to assume it has been tested to perform favorably.


Great, thanks. Any idea on what to use for sound absorption on the ceiling?

dbpaddler 03-12-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulkorb (Post 57734210)
Thanks for the response. Yes, the room is entirely dark and is painted dark grey and black. The carpet is black also.



"Local experts" are a bit hard to come by these days it seems. The guys who did it 18 and 11 years ago are long out of business. I live in St. Louis, so if you know of someone, would appreciate the info. Thanks again!

Funny enough, some end up at Magnolia. Was talking to one guy who worked for a company that folded. When he was talking to management at Best Buy, he pretty much said you guys couldn't afford me. Well apparently they made him an offer that proved him wrong. I know a few at Magnolias around me that used to work for small shops that closed. And I'm sure they wouldn't mind paying a visit off the Best Buy books.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

paulkorb 03-12-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DunMunro (Post 57730396)
The BenQ CinePro HT9060 DLP LED PROJECTOR is in many ways the best projector I’ve ever reviewed. It isn’t cheap, but I think it’s worth every penny.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/



Seems to be worth considering.


Thanks, wow, that sounds like quite the beast. I had never thought of a BenQ ... I always thought JVC, Sony and Epson were the top ones but that sounds impressive.

Dave Harper 03-13-2019 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulkorb (Post 57734298)
Thanks, wow, that sounds like quite the beast. I had never thought of a BenQ ... I always thought JVC, Sony and Epson were the top ones but that sounds impressive.


The BenQ LK970 and 990 are arguably (not to me) even better overall. If you watch mostly TV and sports, even better.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57737608

m0j0 03-13-2019 04:26 AM

Maybe save your money and wait for the JVC DLA-NX9 to come down to under 10k.

paulkorb 03-13-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Harper (Post 57737648)
The BenQ LK970 and 990 are arguably (not to me) even better overall. If you watch mostly TV and sports, even better.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57737608


Thanks ... I will add those to the trade space. So many options ... I guess that's a good thing!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.