Is the JVC DLA-X790 the right one for me? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By JonnyFive54950
  • 1 Post By Mike Garrett

post #1 of 21 Old 03-26-2019, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is the JVC DLA-X790 the right one for me?

Hello All,

Apologies in advance if this post is pretty long, I just want to cover all the basics to make sure I get this right.

Moving into a new house soon with a dedicated media room, so thinking about going all out for it. At this time I'm considering a JVC DLA-x790 as everyone says they are the leader in black levels. The room is 22’ by 12’. It has one window, but will be covered up by an acoustic panel to help block outside noise and noise leaving the room. Fully light controlled and will put velvet on the walls for best black levels.

The screen size would be either 120” or 135” 16:9 screen. Thought about going 2.35:1 CIH, but width is a limitation and can't really afford an anamorphic lens at the moment. Are those screen sizes too large for the JVC? I have a growing collection of 4k blurays and would like it to me pretty bright for the HDR. I'm coming from an LG OLED B6,  and realize I won't get that bright, but I don't want a super dim picture either. The screen will be on a false wall and will be acoustically transparent and have speakers behind it. Would that type of screen also decrease the brightness? I have my eyes set on a SilverTicket woven screen since they seem to be pretty bang for buck to start with.

On the topic of HDR, I have been reading on the Panasonic UB-820 for a Blu-ray player since it can do the auto tone-mapping. Is that the best combo right now for this projector in regards to getting the best HDR performance? I know MadVR is also very popular, but would rather have the simplicity of just a regular Blu-ray player instead of HTPC.

Also, how is the gaming performance/input lag? I will be using a PS4 Pro with this projector. I don't do competitive online multiplayer, mainly just single player games so super duper low latency isn't a necessity, just don't want to be able to notice it. Gaming on the OLED had been great, so that can be a comparison if anyone has used both.

Not sure if I should ask this in this post, but I'm also looking to still use the OLED in the same room, and have an idea to mount the TV to the side wall on a pull out mount, and pull the TV out from the wall when we want to use the TV. Is that a good idea? I've racked my brain on different ideas. Thought about a motorized screen, but afraid of warping and curling at the bottom and the screen itself shaking either the speakers being behind it. And if I did do this, what would be a good 4k HDMI splitter? I've seen lots, but people say they can use the PS4 pro on them.

I appreciate you taking the time to read all this, I realize it is kind of lengthy. Will greatly appreciate any help on this matter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-26-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11828 Post(s)
Liked: 9358
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbean7077 View Post
Hello All,

Apologies in advance if this post is pretty long, I just want to cover all the basics to make sure I get this right.

Moving into a new house soon with a dedicated media room, so thinking about going all out for it. At this time I'm considering a JVC DLA-x790 as everyone says they are the leader in black levels. The room is 22’ by 12’. It has one window, but will be covered up by an acoustic panel to help block outside noise and noise leaving the room. Fully light controlled and will put velvet on the walls for best black levels.

The screen size would be either 120” or 135” 16:9 screen. Thought about going 2.35:1 CIH, but width is a limitation and can't really afford an anamorphic lens at the moment. Are those screen sizes too large for the JVC? I have a growing collection of 4k blurays and would like it to me pretty bright for the HDR. I'm coming from an LG OLED B6,  and realize I won't get that bright, but I don't want a super dim picture either. The screen will be on a false wall and will be acoustically transparent and have speakers behind it. Would that type of screen also decrease the brightness? I have my eyes set on a SilverTicket woven screen since they seem to be pretty bang for buck to start with.

On the topic of HDR, I have been reading on the Panasonic UB-820 for a Blu-ray player since it can do the auto tone-mapping. Is that the best combo right now for this projector in regards to getting the best HDR performance? I know MadVR is also very popular, but would rather have the simplicity of just a regular Blu-ray player instead of HTPC.

Also, how is the gaming performance/input lag? I will be using a PS4 Pro with this projector. I don't do competitive online multiplayer, mainly just single player games so super duper low latency isn't a necessity, just don't want to be able to notice it. Gaming on the OLED had been great, so that can be a comparison if anyone has used both.

Not sure if I should ask this in this post, but I'm also looking to still use the OLED in the same room, and have an idea to mount the TV to the side wall on a pull out mount, and pull the TV out from the wall when we want to use the TV. Is that a good idea? I've racked my brain on different ideas. Thought about a motorized screen, but afraid of warping and curling at the bottom and the screen itself shaking either the speakers being behind it. And if I did do this, what would be a good 4k HDMI splitter? I've seen lots, but people say they can use the PS4 pro on them.

I appreciate you taking the time to read all this, I realize it is kind of lengthy. Will greatly appreciate any help on this matter.

The X790/RS540 is a nice projector. Gaming on it should be good, with low lag on. You do not say what fabric in your screen, but if you go 135", then a little gain would be nice, for HDR.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-26-2019, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The X790/RS540 is a nice projector. Gaming on it should be good, with low lag on. You do not say what fabric in your screen, but if you go 135", then a little gain would be nice, for HDR.
Thank you for the reply! The gain listed for the screen is 1.1. Would that be sufficient for 135"? Or do you think I should stick to 120"? The room will have two rows of seats, and with being 16:9 not sure if the screen will be too low for the back row to see comfortably when reclined.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-26-2019, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 59
You can still do 2.35:1 without an anamorphic lens. The 790 has generous zoom, lens shift, and most importantly, motorized lens memory. So you could simply zoom between 16:9 and 2.35:1 (and any ratio inbetween) as long as you can mount your projector at the right throw distance to support the zoom/shift CIH method. And if you decide you still want an A lens, you can save up and do that later.

I am DanLW.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...103-danlw.html
post #5 of 21 Old 03-26-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the reply! The gain listed for the screen is 1.1. Would that be sufficient for 135"? Or do you think I should stick to 120"? The room will have two rows of seats, and with being 16:9 not sure if the screen will be too low for the back row to see comfortably when reclined.

For 135" 1.3 gain would be a better choice. 120" would give you better highlights, but 135" 1.1 gain using UB820 and the JVC would give good results.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-26-2019, 11:36 AM

Liked: 5
I can answer a few of these questions for you as I have the same projector.

Gaming is fine. No noticeable input lag at all.

I went with a 120" 2.35:1 screen with my setup and just use lens memory (no anamorphic lens).

HDR could be better; I currently use MadVR and an HTPC. I have Chad B scheduled to come out and optimize my picture which will help.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-26-2019, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For 135" 1.3 gain would be a better choice. 120" would give you better highlights, but 135" 1.1 gain using UB820 and the JVC would give good results.
Thank you for the suggestions! I'll put them into consideration.

post #8 of 21 Old 03-26-2019, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Sherman View Post
I can answer a few of these questions for you as I have the same projector.

Gaming is fine. No noticeable input lag at all.

I went with a 120" 2.35:1 screen with my setup and just use lens memory (no anamorphic lens).

HDR could be better; I currently use MadVR and an HTPC. I have Chad B scheduled to come out and optimize my picture which will help.
Thank you, those answered two important ones for me. I think I should be fine on both fronts of gaming and screen size. I appreciate your input!

post #9 of 21 Old 03-27-2019, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I just upgraded to this projector from a Benq W6000 DLP projector and its pretty incredible all around. I game also and haven't noticed a single downside to this projector. The Benq may be just a little bit sharper overall but everything else goes to the JVC hands down. This is all with 1080p content as I haven't even hooked up 4k yet.

I'm on a 120" 1.1 gain(advertised) screen and in ECO mode its plenty bright even in ambient light since this projector is in my living room.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-27-2019, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hello All...

Did you pull the trigger? Particularly interested in the performance of the acoustic screen with this projector. How is the image? Also, how was the 820 in terms of accuracy with HDR sources?

Am thinking of a very similar setup, but a few vendors have advised me to stay away from acoustic screens...
post #11 of 21 Old 06-27-2019, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Bernard View Post
Did you pull the trigger? Particularly interested in the performance of the acoustic screen with this projector. How is the image? Also, how was the 820 in terms of accuracy with HDR sources?

Am thinking of a very similar setup, but a few vendors have advised me to stay away from acoustic screens...
I use my X790 on a 126" AT screen at around 12ft. Material is Seymour Center Stage XD and I have no issues whatsoever. I have the 820 as well and looks pretty great. I am not sure what you mean by accuracy.
From my understanding X790 is not available to order new anymore.
What was the rationale from the vendors for staying away from AT screens. I am pretty sure there are many members in here who have a similar setup.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-27-2019, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've had the X790 for over a year now. Using 10' wide 16:9 for gaming and Netflix, Carls blackout temp screen (~1.0 gain), throw distance ~20 ft, seated ~11 ft.

-Great projector overall.
-No problems for gaming provided you aren't a twitch/competitive gamer. Playing Borderlands 2 First Person Shooter 10' wide, I can't imagine twitch gaming. I would get nauseous on a picture this large.
-HDR could be better as some have commented. I have not bothered with a pro calibration, as I hope to swap this one out for 1) brighter 2) laser 3) professional glass lens in the near future.
-I have dynamic iris turned off as the pumping was visible/annoying to me.
-For the price it's probably hard to do better.
post #13 of 21 Old 06-27-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyFive54950 View Post
I've had the X790 for over a year now. Using 10' wide 16:9 for gaming and Netflix, Carls blackout temp screen (~1.0 gain), throw distance ~20 ft, seated ~11 ft.

-Great projector overall.
-No problems for gaming provided you aren't a twitch/competitive gamer. Playing Borderlands 2 First Person Shooter 10' wide, I can't imagine twitch gaming. I would get nauseous on a picture this large.
-HDR could be better as some have commented. I have not bothered with a pro calibration, as I hope to swap this one out for 1) brighter 2) laser 3) professional glass lens in the near future.
-I have dynamic iris turned off as the pumping was visible/annoying to me.
-For the price it's probably hard to do better.
JVC has been using an all glass lens for as long as I can remember. I don't think JVC has ever used plastic lens elements.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-27-2019, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
JVC has been using an all glass lens for as long as I can remember. I don't think JVC has ever used plastic lens elements.

Sorry, I meant the professional level lens as in the NX-9.
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #15 of 21 Old 06-27-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash220 View Post
Quote:

I use my X790 on a 126" AT screen at around 12ft. Material is Seymour Center Stage XD and I have no issues whatsoever. I have the 820 as well and looks pretty great. I am not sure what you mean by accuracy.

From my understanding X790 is not available to order new anymore.
What was the rationale from the vendors for staying away from AT screens. I am pretty sure there are many members in here who have a similar setup.
They said you would notice degraded frequency response from the speakers, poor gain for HDR, difficulty seeing the improvement in resolution/sharpness of faux-K, poor color temperature, possibly moiré effect, and potential double imaging. Since I have not been able to evaluate a woven screen personally, I'm not sure how realistic these concerns are.

Thanks for the response!
post #16 of 21 Old 06-27-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
They said you would notice degraded frequency response from the speakers, poor gain for HDR, difficulty seeing the improvement in resolution/sharpness of faux-K, poor color temperature, possibly moiré effect, and potential double imaging. Since I have not been able to evaluate a woven screen personally, I'm not sure how realistic these concerns are.

Thanks for the response!
While there is a grain of truth in some of that, the majority sounds like a BS scare tactic.
Willie likes this.
post #17 of 21 Old 06-27-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the response!
While there is a grain of truth in some of that, the majority sounds like a BS scare tactic.
That's what I was hoping to hear, because an acoustic screen would solve a lot of speaker placement hassles... still not sure how to get them far enough away from the wall though...
post #18 of 21 Old 07-01-2019, 08:53 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6416 Post(s)
Liked: 6406
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions! I'll put them into consideration.
So, what did you end up buying? What else is in the running?
post #19 of 21 Old 07-01-2019, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I did pull the trigger on the projector, but decided to stick with the screen I already had, 120 inch Silverticket 16:9 screen with 1.1 gain. I put all three speakers underneath the screen at a slight angle pointing up. I know this isn't the ideal way to do things, but it was just simpler and it sounds great to my ears. If I went acoustic screen I would have had to build a false wall which would've stuck out in front of the door to the room slightly. If I had the room and time to build the wall I probably would've, but I don't regret going the route I did. And I ended up getting lots of triple Black Velvet from Amazon and put it on the walls, ceiling and floor about 8 feet out from the projector and it made loads of improvement. Highly recommend that if you are looking into this projector.

As for the HDR performance with the 820, coming from a B6 OLED, it obviously doesn't get as bright nit/lumen number wise, but on a screen that big it gets plenty bright when it calls for it. I'm not sure of the "accuracy" of the HDR, but to my eyes it looks stellar with the right content. I sit about 9 feet from the screen, so a bit close, and have had to squint a few times so far from my testing because it went bright after a darker scene. I've tried custom curves, the 820 in SDR to HDR conversion, and the regular HDR mode without the HDR optimizer, and I believe the 820 provides the best picture. I need to play with the HDR optimizer just directly spitting out the HDR signal without converting to SDR and test that as well. I've only done basic calibration, getting brightness and contrast dialed in but not much else. Don't have the equipment to do a true calibration at this time. Maybe in the future.

Gaming on this to me in regards to input lag is on par with my OLED, but I will admit I don't notice as much as some of the "hardcore" gamers. Mind you this is with low latency turned on. Haven't tried with it turned off. But I don't use the other motion settings like frame interpolation or anything, so just leave low latency on. I did notice that HDR gaming on the projector wasn't very up to snuff in the one game I've tried so far, Final Fantasy XV on PS4 Pro. I used the custom curves and tried the regular HDR mode and felt like it was overly bright and losing details in places compared to the OLED, even after turning down in game brightness. Maybe I need to tinker with the settings on the projector more.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm not the most knowledgeable on this subject, but I'm learning as I'm going, like most people are.

post #20 of 21 Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
So, what did you end up buying? What else is in the running?
I ended up going with the x790. See my response to another user for a more in depth "analysis" with having it for a little over a month so far. Not sure if I can call it an analysis though since I'm still learning the ins and outs with this thing lol. If you have any other questions I didn't answer, feel free to ask and I'll answer them the best I can.

post #21 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I ended up going with the x790. See my response to another user for a more in depth "analysis" with having it for a little over a month so far. Not sure if I can call it an analysis though since I'm still learning the ins and outs with this thing lol. If you have any other questions I didn't answer, feel free to ask and I'll answer them the best I can.

Nice, I just hooked my X790 up and realized that I need to set the output of my UB820 to 1080P since the PJ does the e-shift, otherwise for 1080P content I cannot select to turn off E-shift. I feel like the picture is very grainy on 1080P content with 4k eshift on. Any recommendations for other PJ/ UB 820 picture settings? I left the optimizer on for the BD- Player, and seems like HDR gets picked up automatically BY the PJ from the source material even when it is set to 1080P and puts the picture in HDR mode. Hope I am doing things correctly, need to test some more 4K content to confirm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page