Benq LK952 - 4k laser, 5000 lumens - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #31 of 71 Old 11-21-2019, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 82
@645824

Is it the "Dynamic Dimming" actually called that or Smarteco? Have you found it to improve the black levels? Also can "Dynamic Dimming" be enabled with the custom laser light setting?

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 Old 11-28-2019, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
@645824

Is it the "Dynamic Dimming" actually called that or Smarteco? Have you found it to improve the black levels? Also can "Dynamic Dimming" be enabled with the custom laser light setting?
Sorry for the late reply -- I didn't see this question since it was on page 2

I have turned off SmartEco since it washes out the colors.

The Light Source choices are:
  • Normal
  • Economic
  • Dimming
  • Custom

I have it set to Normal and it looks fine to me. Dimming looks washed out. I haven't played with the Custom settings yet and I haven't really had the need to.

For me, watching Passengers looks great. Colors are vibrant and the black of space is black. If I had the ability to A/B, then I think that I would be better able to utilize Custom. HDR seems to be working fine and I haven't really had the need to diddle.

The LK952 doesn't have the depth that an OLED screen has, nor the black-level of a dedicated home theater projector. However, it was the 5,000 lumen brightness that drew me to it (from the half-dozen projectors that I was considering). Being able to watch during the day for non-critical viewing without having to lower the black-out blinds is a big plus. So this morning we watched the Macy's parade with the blinds up and things looked fine; the picture was bright, the colors were vivid, and the contrast was fine for this show.

If you have a blackened Bat Cave, then there are probably better choices of projectors. But if you have a window-centric house like mine, then this projector makes a lot of sense (and the similar Optima unit). I'm stepping up from 1,800 lumens, so these 5,000 lumen units are like night-and-day.

Hope this helps.

Scott
MJ DOOM likes this.

Last edited by 645824; 11-28-2019 at 06:58 PM.
post #33 of 71 Old 11-29-2019, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi
I have a similar setup and got the lk952. I do have about 3 inch light leak around. So you also have a similar problem. Wondering if I should send back for replacement.
Thanks

shiv
Lexington, KY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 71 Old 11-29-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Either of you own calibration gear to post CIE diagrams after calibration?

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #35 of 71 Old 11-30-2019, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
Either of you own calibration gear to post CIE diagrams after calibration?
I don't have calibration gear.

I do have the Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark (UHD Blu-ray Disc) disk, but I got it mainly as a dependable source of 4K info and single-dot projection (for zoom/focus reasons). It doesn't even come with the color-filters that it refers to, so I couldn't do the color calibration.

So I'm running the colors, contrast, black, etc. as-is out-of-the-box. My problem is that it is so much better than what I had before (1800 lumen 3LCD Panasonic 8000), that the BenQ LK952 looks great to me (i.e. the new car smell factor). It is significantly brighter, and HDR is very noticeable.

Scott
post #36 of 71 Old 12-01-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will be joining you guys as an owner of a LK952. I was waiting on a refurbished LK990 to appear on the Benq site but one hasn't in a while. I am scheduled to receive the projector around Tue thru Friday sometime depending on processing. I also have some calibration Equipment and I need to get some screenpaint from @MississippiMan . I may purchase a ND filter as this thing will have plenty of Lumens to tweak with. Looks like I will be preparing my wall and smoothing it it out with a nice skimcoat then painting it. I may get an ALR screen but that's down the road after I figure out if I am even able to calibrate this to an acceptable picture for myself.

Anyway, looks like we are a very small group. Hopefully thats just an anomaly lol.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #37 of 71 Old 12-02-2019, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 5452 Post(s)
Liked: 3566
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
I have a 124" screen, and even standing a foot away from my Stewart Filmscreen Grayhawk screen, I can't see an individual pixel from the BenQ LK952. The 0.66" chip (2x) should be sharper than the 0.47" chip (4x). But with a screen this (small) size, I doubt if I would be able to see the difference between 2x and 4x.
I believe the reason you cannot see individual pixels is because the pixel shifting in the projector blurs the pixel grid. It's not because pixels are too small. On my RS4500 native 4K, I can see the pixel grid 1-3 feet away from the screen. On my friend's LK970 we cannot. It's the pixel shifting. Not a measure of extra sharpness that you can't notice.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #38 of 71 Old 12-02-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the lens size of 952? Both the actual lens size and the size of the ring? Just curious I was thinking about buying a Anamorphot lens on sale today at B&H but I can't find in the specs the size of the lens, the ring, the setback of the lens from the front of the ring. I did get get the Aperture requirements of the 40/50 Anamorphot and unfortuntately it sounds like we would have to go with the larger 65 size Anamorphot due to the 4k image size.

post #39 of 71 Old 12-02-2019, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the lens size of 952? Both the actual lens size and the size of the ring? Just curious I was thinking about buying a Anamorphot lens on sale today at B&H but I can't find in the specs the size of the lens, the ring, the setback of the lens from the front of the ring. I did get get the Aperture requirements of the 40/50 Anamorphot and unfortuntately it sounds like we would have to go with the larger 65 size Anamorphot due to the 4k image size.
Thought you had an Epson?

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
post #40 of 71 Old 12-03-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
lens ssize is 1.5 inches and ring is 5.5 inches. I have a panamorph and it works but issue i am having is that the projector does not have support for 2.35:1 ratio. I can use aspect ratio change in MPC to watch movies but dont know how to adjust on my apple tv for netflix and prime shows. Most scalers or oppo I look at are very expensive. Any suggestions on how you plan to do the anamorphic squeeze

shiv
Lexington, KY
post #41 of 71 Old 12-03-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
lens size is 1.5 inches and ring is 5.5 inches. I have a panamorph and it works but issue i am having is that the projector does not have support for 2.35:1 ratio. I can use aspect ratio change in MPC to watch movies but dont know how to adjust on my apple tv for netflix and prime shows. Most scalers or oppo I look at are very expensive. Any suggestions on how you plan to do the anamorphic squeeze

shiv
Lexington, KY
post #42 of 71 Old 12-03-2019, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I will be joining you guys as an owner of a LK952. I was waiting on a refurbished LK990 to appear on the Benq site but one hasn't in a while. I am scheduled to receive the projector around Tue thru Friday sometime depending on processing. I also have some calibration Equipment and I need to get some screenpaint from @MississippiMan . I may purchase a ND filter as this thing will have plenty of Lumens to tweak with. Looks like I will be preparing my wall and smoothing it it out with a nice skimcoat then painting it. I may get an ALR screen but that's down the road after I figure out if I am even able to calibrate this to an acceptable picture for myself.

Anyway, looks like we are a very small group. Hopefully thats just an anomaly lol.
Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the projector and appreciate your time. Maybe this thing will be a poor man’s version of the lk970. The ability to have a giant screen is certainly appealing to me. What other projectors have you seen in your home or otherwise?
post #43 of 71 Old 12-03-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post

Thought you had an Epson?
I couldn't pull the trigger. While it had great blacks it just couldn't manage the horsepower for the living room ambient light conditions. It was on the low end of acceptable lumens but then decreased in claibration and then dropped off unacceptably steeply after 250 hours use. I dont think I will ever want a lamp based projector for my application.

post #44 of 71 Old 12-03-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Benq LK952 Projector has arrived 1 day ahead of schedule and nothing is ready lol.
No screen
No claibration disc.
No claibration equipment etc

But here is a pic from a blue-ish grey wall next to my Sony A1E OLED it most likely will be replacing. I have only adjusted basic color and contrast brightness settings by eyeball.

Tomorrow begins the grey scale calibration. OLED on right 65"

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191203_190755_1575422231756.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2649022  
MJ DOOM and Aztar35 like this.

Last edited by TimHuey; 12-03-2019 at 06:22 PM.
post #45 of 71 Old 12-04-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone know where Benq list the current Firmware version for the projectors. My LK952 says it has ver 1.0.2

post #46 of 71 Old 12-04-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv View Post
lens size is 1.5 inches and ring is 5.5 inches. I have a panamorph and it works but issue i am having is that the projector does not have support for 2.35:1 ratio. I can use aspect ratio change in MPC to watch movies but dont know how to adjust on my apple tv for netflix and prime shows. Most scalers or oppo I look at are very expensive. Any suggestions on how you plan to do the anamorphic squeeze
I was actually looking at a Anamorphot 65mm lens from B&H. But I didn't have the vertical stretch worked out yet nor the extra $1000 for the lens. So for now I'm just doing the Zoom method which Benq has made fairly easy on this projector with the Digital Shrink .750 is my 16:9 and 1.00 is 2:39. Now I just got to figure out how to send the command to shrink or unshrink to the projector. Using the remote is clunky as you have to hold it for about a minute to get it to shrink all the way.

post #47 of 71 Old 12-04-2019, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

I can see the signature .47" DLP light border there. This was my biggest concern with the LK952 over the LK970.

Cinematographer | Educator | Entrepreneur
tonyreale.com
post #48 of 71 Old 12-04-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Uncalibrated Test Results (brightness and contrast set with Clipping charts eyeballing it)
I am at 11ft Projector to wall and a 92" image.

Picture Mode Bright, Color mode Normal, Light Source mode Normal, Brightness 51, Contrast 50

The other color Modes (cool, Lamp Native, Warm) were all way off. I have the charts but I won't post unless someone request them.

What I'm going to do now is attempt to calibrate the greyscale in the Normal Color Mode and the color saturation. But I have no idea what I'm doing. So it will be slow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	target white CIE Bright  mode Normal Color uncalibrated.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	2649456   Click image for larger version

Name:	target white and gamma Bright  mode Normal Color uncalibrated.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	2649458   Click image for larger version

Name:	RGB Levels Bright  mode Normal Color uncalibrated.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	2649460   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIE Diagram Bright  mode Normal Color uncalibrated.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	2649478  

Last edited by TimHuey; 12-04-2019 at 05:35 PM.
post #49 of 71 Old 12-04-2019, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Aaaaaarrrggghhhh!

post #50 of 71 Old 12-05-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can't seem to get the CMS (Color Management System) to affect anything. I have moved to RGB Picture mode and Normal Color mode. Does anyone know how to measure Lumens, do I use the 100% white pattern in a window or full screen? I have no clue on how to read lumens. I can read fL's on my Painted blueish grey wall.

Sadly, my 150 inch screen size is pushing the Projector to it's limits in my ambient light conditions. i had to lower the Sheer White blinds which helped a little and turning off the lights in the house. But Movies are hard to watch however CNN/FOX/MSNBC Weather cHannel, Big Bang THeory is fine.

post #51 of 71 Old 12-06-2019, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

The other color Modes (cool, Lamp Native, Warm) were all way off. I have the charts but I won't post unless someone request them.
This mode also looks like it is all over the place. I mean you can't really tell which color is which to make any adjustments?

JVC DLA-RS500
post #52 of 71 Old 12-06-2019, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Does anyone know how to measure Lumens, do I use the 100% white pattern in a window or full screen? I have no clue on how to read lumens. I can read fL's on my Painted blueish grey wall.
Use the "Convert"-tab in this calculator to convert fL to Lumens. First enter your screen size and gain. https://webprojectorcalculator.com/

JVC DLA-RS500
post #53 of 71 Old 12-06-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 498 Post(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6643
Quote:
Uncalibrated Test Results (brightness and contrast set with Clipping charts eyeballing it)

I am at 11ft Projector to wall and a 92" image.

What I'm going to do now is attempt to calibrate the greyscale in the Normal Color Mode and the color saturation. But I have no idea what I'm doing. So it will be slow.
Can you post saturation tracking?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #54 of 71 Old 12-06-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Can you post saturation tracking?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Let me check if I collected that data. I followed the grey scale for dummies instructions. Stndby

post #55 of 71 Old 12-06-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Let me check if I collected that data. I followed the grey scale for dummies instructions. Stndby
This is my latest run. I think I was in RGB picture mode and Normal color selection.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	saturation lumaninace.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	2650360  

post #56 of 71 Old 12-06-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
These buttons will do it.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #57 of 71 Old 12-06-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
These buttons will do it.

Well crap. Hold on. I guess i got the wrong thing.

post #58 of 71 Old 12-06-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well crap. Hold on. I guess i got the wrong thing.
You may need to turn them on for easy access to the buttons.

Otherwise they are kinda buried in the menu

-
post #59 of 71 Old 12-06-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You may need to turn them on for easy access to the buttons.

Otherwise they are kinda buried in the menu
Yeah I hunted around and found them. But unfortunately since the instructions didn't mention that I didn't perform it. I will do it now. BUTTTTTTTTTTT......

I started doing color calibration last 2 nights and had to stop because my controls didn't seem to be impacting the measurements. Even if I moved the Color setting up or down and also the CMS controls didn't see to do anything. I've got to figure out why those controls aren't responding. It was about the same time I threw my hands up and dove into a bowl of chocolate ice cream to ease my pain.

post #60 of 71 Old 12-06-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I hunted around and found them. But unfortunately since the instructions didn't mention that I didn't perform it. I will do it now. BUTTTTTTTTTTT......

I started doing color calibration last 2 nights and had to stop because my controls didn't seem to be impacting the measurements. Even if I moved the Color setting up or down and also the CMS controls didn't see to do anything. I've got to figure out why those controls aren't responding. It was about the same time I threw my hands up and dove into a bowl of chocolate ice cream to ease my pain.
I'm going to use the AVSCH 709 patterns. I bought the Spears and Munsil HDR disc but it's basically useless, no slides no window patterns no greyscale clips. Total waste of money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page