So, what am I risking? (Denver + No High Altitude Mode) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-27-2019, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 48
So, what am I risking? (Denver + No High Altitude Mode)

I live in Denver and I own a JVC NX5. My dedicated theater room is generally in the 65-70F range with some occasional jumps up to 75F. I don;t plan to use the high altitude mode, just a bit to loud for me. Were the room hot, I might reconsider but its really not (Its a smallish basement room with the other primary heat providers (Ultra HTPC and Receiver) in another room).

So, what am I risking? Is sub-optimal bulb life about it or am I really taking a bigger risk than I imagine?

(Ran my RS45 and my vw600es without High Altitude mode and never had any discernible issues, but, new tech, may as well ask around)

Last edited by Kyle_Gates; 03-27-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-27-2019, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Gates View Post
I live in Denver and I own a JVC NX5. My dedicated theater room is generally in the 65-70F range with some occasional jumps up to 75F. I don;t plan to use the high altitude mode, just a bit to loud for me. Were the room hot, I might reconsider but its really not (Its a smallish basement room with the other primary heat providers (Ultra HTPC and Receiver) in another room).

So, what am I risking? Is sub-optimal bulb life about it or am I really taking a bigger risk than I imagine?
I don't think anyone can tell you exactly what's going to happen. The air at high altitudes is less dense than at low altitudes so it takes more air to remove the same amount of heat, hence high altitude mode. It is recommended for altitudes above 3000' and the specs even list 5000' as the "maximum installation height." Certainly there's a margin of safety built in but I do think you'll be pressing your luck by not running in high altitude mode at an altitude that is technically beyond spec.

The projector does have internal temperature sensors and will shut itself down if it gets overheated but even if you don't trip that protection you may be running at temperatures that will over time shorten bulb life or cause degradation of electronic or optical components. Or maybe you'll be fine.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-27-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
The projector might ice up at 5000 feet then explode in a fiery iceball and kill everyone in the room.
Your risking nothing, it will be fine, projectors are designed to run in different environments.
If there is no high altitude mode, it usually means they didn't add it because the extra high fan speed wasn't needed.
They may have also changed to an auto-variable sensor fan that changes speed based on temp.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-27-2019, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I live in Boulder and run in normal fan mode with the RS540. The air here is ~10% less dense than at sea level so I figured I'd chance it and it's been fine. It'd be a different story if you're up in the mountains.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-27-2019, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephatness View Post
I live in Boulder and run in normal fan mode with the RS540. The air here is ~10% less dense than at sea level so I figured I'd chance it and it's been fine. It'd be a different story if you're up in the mountains.
The difference is closer to 20%, all things being equal (temperature, humidity, barometric pressure). It just seems strange to me that they would even have an HA mode if it's really not necessary. It's not like it's in any way a selling point. It does no good for JVC when a portion of its customers are subjected to more fan noise for no benefit.

The only explanation I can imagine for it not being necessary in many cases is that it's meant to support operation in the worst extremes of its permitted operating parameters; that is temperatures up to 95F and humidity down to 20%. If you can keep humidity up and ambient temperature down in the vicinity of the projector then I suspect that buys you more margin for lower fan speeds.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-27-2019, 11:42 PM

Adding humidity lowers air density. And yes I've seen the 18% figure but things aren't the same here compared to, say NYC where I'm from. If you run your AC here to keep room temp cool which also reduces humidity in an already dry climate, then I don't think there's a huge concern. Having said that, feel free to be on the safe side and tolerate the HA fan noise if you can.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-28-2019, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Adding humidity lowers air density. And yes I've seen the 18% figure but things aren't the same here compared to, say NYC where I'm from. If you run your AC here to keep room temp cool which also reduces humidity in an already dry climate, then I don't think there's a huge concern. Having said that, feel free to be on the safe side and tolerate the HA fan noise if you can.
Humidity does indeed lower air density, but water has a much higher heat capacity than either oxygen or nitrogen, and, in fact, more humid air transfers heat better than the same temperature dry air. Kind of a moot point in Denver.

Rex
post #8 of 14 Old 03-28-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
Yah, but at high altitudes you are a bit closer to space which might make being hit by a meteor slightly more likely which could affect the projector...

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #9 of 14 Old 03-28-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencas View Post
Humidity does indeed lower air density, but water has a much higher heat capacity than either oxygen or nitrogen, and, in fact, more humid air transfers heat better than the same temperature dry air. Kind of a moot point in Denver.

Thermal conductivity actually takes a hit as humidity increases above 40c but I take your point that it's moot in Denver.
https://www.electronics-cooling.com/...-of-moist-air/
post #10 of 14 Old 03-28-2019, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Put your home theater in a pressure vessel with an acclimation chamber for entry and exit. Then you can open the service menu and enable the secret below-sea-level mode.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-28-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Thermal conductivity actually takes a hit as humidity increases above 40c but I take your point that it's moot in Denver.
https://www.electronics-cooling.com/...-of-moist-air/

Thanks for the interesting link. I sincerely hope that above 40° C is a moot point for where I live also, unless I decide to put a home theater in a sauna.

Rex
post #12 of 14 Old 03-28-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the interesting link. I sincerely hope that above 40° C is a moot point for where I live also, unless I decide to put a home theater in a sauna.

I was thinking more about how hot ambient temps gets inside a projector and what the heat sinks are doing. But yeah, I've gone through this research exercise when I was debating myself whether to go HA mode or not and got overly sciencey about it. I'd rather focus on keeping the air filter clean, crank the AC and deal with that fan noise over the projector fan noise.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-28-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I was thinking more about how hot ambient temps gets inside a projector and what the heat sinks are doing. But yeah, I've gone through this research exercise when I was debating myself whether to go HA mode or not and got overly sciencey about it. I'd rather focus on keeping the air filter clean, crank the AC and deal with that fan noise over the projector fan noise.
Have you or the OP considered a hush box with forced, filtered air ventilation? This is what I intend to do in my future home theater, just as much for dust minimization in my case as well as for noise and heat.

Rex
post #14 of 14 Old 03-28-2019, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Have you or the OP considered a hush box with forced, filtered air ventilation? This is what I intend to do in my future home theater, just as much for dust minimization in my case as well as for noise and heat.
One day in a bigger house sure......but in my lil HT with a 7ft ceiling AND 3 rows of stadium-style seating.....no room!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page