JVC and Sony 4K Projector Expo / Shootout Thread, April 26 -28 2019 Colorado Springs - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 759Likes

post #391 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 07:56 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked: 3353
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Better than going on a superman ride and then say it's like being superman!
That's pretty damn funny coming from a guy who believes he owns a magic screen! Blacks blacker and whites whiter all at the same time!!! LMAO. One of the funniest things I've EVER read on this forum in all the years I've been here. Thank you for the entertainment!
mikela, Craig Peer, Krak66 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Someone should tell Arrow to stop measuring contrast above 1.5% ADL. Apparently anything above 1.5% doesn't matter at all and he's just wasting his time.
post #393 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
That's pretty damn funny coming from a guy who believes he owns a magic screen! Blacks blacker and whites whiter all at the same time!!! LMAO. One of the funniest things I've EVER read on this forum in all the years I've been here. Thank you for the entertainment!
Never said it was magic.. that's what you said.. lolz! you're just become a comedian... i suppose you're the first man on the moon now that you have played with rockets as a kid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6462 Post(s)
Liked: 7467
Quote:
Sounds like a Tide laundry soap commercial.
Toe, Jive Turkey, mikela and 4 others like this.
post #395 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 08:05 AM
Toe

Quote:
Never said it was magic..
You might as well have when you said it made blacks blacker and whites whiter all at the same time! Classic. I can find your quote if you dont believe you said this?
wombats likes this.
post #396 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You might as well have when you said it made blacks blacker and whites whiter all at the same time! Classic. I can find your quote if you dont believe you said this?
That's what's called our perception... our perception of the world isn't the same as any objective truth... and you obviously don't even understand that.. perhaps back to kindergarten for some basic science lessons?

oh, hows that giant grizzly that attacked you feel like? Exactly like that teddy bear you have?
post #397 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I'll be happy to get some royalty for it...
Craig Peer likes this.
post #398 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 11446 Post(s)
Liked: 9045
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark View Post
Someone should tell Arrow to stop measuring contrast above 1.5% ADL. Apparently anything above 1.5% doesn't matter at all and he's just wasting his time.
No, I would say it is relevant from 15% and down, but the importance increases as you go from 15% to 0%
wombats likes this.
post #399 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 08:19 AM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Exactly! I think the same marketing department that did those Tide commercials is marketing for coolgeeks screen.....and he believes it!

Ok, I'm done having fun with coolgeek. Sorry I sunk to his level for a moment, but that was too much fun.
mikela, Craig Peer and wombats like this.
post #400 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
No, I would say it is relevant from 15% and down, but the importance increases as you go from 15% to 0%
Of course I was being sarcastic. But even if contrast only matters below 15% that still favors the Sonys on a lot of material. I certainly notice darker blacks and better pop on my Sony than my JVC on many bright and mixed scenes (certainly not all, since the way a scene is mastered is hugely important).
Aztar35 likes this.
post #401 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 11446 Post(s)
Liked: 9045
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark View Post
Of course I was being sarcastic. But even if contrast only matters below 15% that still favors the Sonys on a lot of material. I certainly notice darker blacks and better pop on my Sony than my JVC on many bright and mixed scenes (certainly not all, since the way a scene is mastered is hugely important).
If they were both calibrated, then the differences are small. As I have always said, the good projectors look a lot more alike than they do different. It is usually only until you get to the very low ADL scenes that you can see any difference.
GregCh and wombats like this.
post #402 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 622
How cool, one of my posts is being misrepresented.

For the record coolgeek, I found the JVCs produced the best images for the overall content we saw and with material I am more familiar with appeared better balanced. If I recall correctly the JVCs color volume capabilities are more robust than the Sonys as well, or the very least one of them. We did some back and forth comparisons and the Sonys were bright but lacked the color depth of the JVCs. Now without the direct comparisons the color differences are not dramatic enough to declare the Sony(s) are grossly inadequate but to my novice to projectors eyes I prefer color, shadow detail, black levels, and native contrast over sheer light output.
-I believe to recall that the auto-iris was disabled for all the projectors and assuming so the raw black level reproduction abilities of the JVCs were very evident.

If there had been more time it would have been interesting to see how the Sonys performed with external tone mapping processed by a player instead of the Sony's raw tone mapping abilities.

Again as it stands I felt the JVCs provided a nice balance in performance and the Sonys produce a nice image as well, factoring out certain issues that were present during the shootout, and those that have made that purchase still have good projectors.

At least in my opinion as someone who does not own a projector nor will not in the near future; so I give zero figs about any given brand and price is not a factor since I am not in the market.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.

Last edited by KMFDMvsEnya; 05-14-2019 at 09:47 AM.
post #403 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Here are some quotes I can find...

How important is it to you that a majority of members here recognize your belief that Sony is the leader in home theater front projection? And why is that?
smitty and wombats like this.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
post #404 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 385 Post(s)
Quoted: 5421 Post(s)
Liked: 5212
Quote:
Still doesn't change the fact you're comparing Friend Chicken with Sushi!
No one is asking CG the most important question... What is friend chicken and please tell me more about it!!!
Toe, mikela, Mike Garrett and 1 others like this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #405 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
No one is asking CG the most important question... What is friend chicken and please tell me more about it!!!
Haha, when your friends never return from Los Pollos Hermanos!
wombats and JohnnyWilkinson like this.
post #406 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
If they were both calibrated, then the differences are small. As I have always said, the good projectors look a lot more alike than they do different. It is usually only until you get to the very low ADL scenes that you can see any difference.
Contrast differences in bright scenes are certainly less obvious than contrast differences in dark scenes, so overall low ADL contrast is more important. If I could only have one projector it would be a JVC. There, that should make the experts here happy.
post #407 of 407 Old 05-14-2019, 05:10 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 6197 Post(s)
Liked: 6213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
How important is it to you that a majority of members here recognize your belief that Sony is the leader in home theater front projection? And why is that?
The leader is always decided by the owner, everyone picks what is best in there mind but it does not make it so for the next guy.....Chevy VS Ford for example......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page