JVC and Sony 4K Projector Expo / Shootout Thread, April 26 -28 2019 Colorado Springs - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 793Likes

post #91 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 401 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5654 Post(s)
Liked: 5515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Your welcome
You're
Dave Harper likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12687 Post(s)
Liked: 10317
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
You're
I can picture you teaching English class.
Reddig and beastaudio like this.
post #93 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7104 Post(s)
Liked: 8433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Geez what's with all the sarcasm and negativity? 2 comparison threads and both are bringing up this "cult of JVC". Yeah we all spent money on brand X because it gets us points on an Internet forum. Has nothing to do with objective comparisons.

I bought an RS520 because when compared to the Sony 4K offerings the differences in detail weren't huge, but the contrast and brightness were noticeably better. I'm sure others made the same comparison and preferred Sony's picture enhancements and motion handling.

I'll be interested to see how this shakes out. If Sony comes out on top, kudos to them. Same if it's JVC.

I'll be curious to see how the optics compare. The uniformity and detail of the lens on previous Sony 4Ks I evaluated wasn't stellar. The lens on the NX7 is very sharp and uniform. If Sony has upped their game here, they deserve a lot of credit. I'm not particularly sensitive to motion, so this is another area I will be interested to see where people land.

And yes low light scenes are going to be compared because they are the hardest for any front projector to reproduce and do comprise a fair amount of what we watch. It's not a tactic to favor any one brand.
I've had a JVC and a Sony stacked in my theater before ( the RS600 and VW600 ). For 15 1/2 months. They both can produce nice pictures. It was fun doing blind tests on people !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2436_DxO.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1,023.7 KB
ID:	2560470   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2445_DxO.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	710.1 KB
ID:	2560472   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2451_DxO.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	651.5 KB
ID:	2560474  
Reddig likes this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 680
I myself am more interested in the value proposition than pay any money just to get everything perfect. If I wanted that then I would be buying the Sony 5000.

I think that many people on here are similar to me where IN THE US Sony just screws us and they throw themselves out of the value proposition. Why would I pay $2,000 more for a 695 than a RS2000?? Even if the picture was just a little sharper??? When Sony quits their Mafia pricing scheme I will be the first to throw them back in the mix. I like the motion and I like the picture a little better, but not $2000 better. Until then I would go with a BenQ laser with all it's warts vs a 2X to 3X Sony and oh just to be straight up that includes the JVC 4500 which I am not paying $35,000 for.

Same reason I went with a RS2000 with a DCR lens vs paying the money for a RS3000 by itself. The value proposition of the RS3000 is not there.

Yes I have a dog in the hunt but I have owned, Sony, Epson, Optoma and JVC.

Back on topic, that is what I hope to hear from the group. What is the best picture AND what was the best value proposition when seeing them all.
Craig Peer, mutiger and Reddig like this.

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
post #95 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
You're
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I can picture you teaching English class.
Hey, weren't you accused of typing with an accents just a few days ago. Guess no mulligans for you this weekend...and you know what I am talking about (even thought nobody else does)

See Mike gets it!!!!
post #96 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 11:09 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked: 3611
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
I myself am more interested in the value proposition than pay any money just to get everything perfect. If I wanted that then I would be buying the Sony 5000.

I think that many people on here are similar to me where IN THE US Sony just screws us and they throw themselves out of the value proposition. Why would I pay $2,000 more for a 695 than a RS2000?? Even if the picture was just a little sharper??? When Sony quits their Mafia pricing scheme I will be the first to throw them back in the mix. I like the motion and I like the picture a little better, but not $2000 better. Until then I would go with a BenQ laser with all it's warts vs a 2X to 3X Sony and oh just to be straight up that includes the JVC 4500 which I am not paying $35,000 for.

Same reason I went with a RS2000 with a DCR lens vs paying the money for a RS3000 by itself. The value proposition of the RS3000 is not there.

Yes I have a dog in the hunt but I have owned, Sony, Epson, Optoma and JVC.

Back on topic, that is what I hope to hear from the group. What is the best picture AND what was the best value proposition when seeing them all.

It has to be the RS2000 as far as value proposition. No way the 3000 would be worth an extra 10k (right?) MSRP going off just what I saw last year with the 640 vs 4500 at the shootout. The 4500 was better, but nowhere near the price difference better IMO and there should be an even smaller gap with the 2000 vs 3000.

The 695 is priced to high as you mention, so that won't be the bang/buck champ.
BondDonBond likes this.
post #97 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I've had a JVC and a Sony stacked in my theater before ( the RS600 and VW600 ). For 15 1/2 months. They both can produce nice pictures. It was fun doing blind tests on people !
They're both good products. I keep seeing these posts about JVC owners ganging up on brand Y or brand X owners and honestly I see more people with different brands suffering from some sort of persecution complex.

Are there a lot of JVC owners on here? Yes. Do I believe this is because of some sort of group think cult mentality? No. Every local JVC owner I know has owned other projector brands. If a brand comes along that fits their needs better at a competitive price point, they'll buy it. People come to this forum to ask questions. Should we not all express our opinions? That's all I see going on. If a lot of those opinions end up pro JVC there just might be a reason other than we're all mindless sheep looking for positive reinforcement from the rest of the flock.

Last edited by jeahrens; 04-30-2019 at 11:13 AM.
post #98 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
The Sony's have some great lenses and resolved detail well and can produce a nice bright image.
Depending on the scene with HDR content the Sony's rendered highlights/whites better than the JVCs.
However the Sonys require proactively adjusting certain picture settings to get the best tone mapping performance on a given HDR title.

It was not wholly clear if this particular 995 unit at the shootout was perhaps slightly defective or the ambient room temperature was affecting it or all the other projectors for that matter. Kris mentioned that with the 995s he has worked on they exhibit some banding but the first day was likely an outlier which was moderately corrected for by simply turning it off and on again. The theory was potentially HDMI handshake issues and Kris did some further calibration for the second day and the 995 looked much better. With a particular JVC UHD demo the Sonys can really shine.

Other impressions:
Sonys are nice and sharp.

On the second day I actually saw the difference in sharpness between the JVC 3000 and 2000. Not a dramatic difference and highly dependent on seating distance but it is there.
If I were purchasing a Sony projector right now I would probably lean more towards the 695. The 995 is cool but if the banding is present in all units I could never be satisfied with that.
Color space reproduction is indeed very important but without direct comparison reference models with lesser capability will still produce a nice image.

Hopefully the experts will provide their knowledgeable comments soon and correct any of my mistakes or potential misrepresentations found in my impressions.

That is interesting that banding/posterization is still prevalent on the Sony line......no matter whether it is the top of the line 5000es or now the 995es....or the 695es and lower.

As far as I can see Kris Deering did not mention that it was a problem in his review of the 995es for S&V.(Kris can correct me on this)

I have said it before and I will say it again......Sony needs to remedy this one area more than any other.
Most likely they will always be second to JVC when it comes to contrast...….but I know Sony can get close......because I have a Sony1000es which can certainly give my JVC rs600 a good run for it's money in the contrast stakes.

But there is nothing more detrimental in my mind to an image than color banding or posterization.

Sony take heed.
post #99 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Now I feel my JVC purchase so many years ago is tainted since I based it on all I read on here.

Would love to have one of these shootouts in the Philly area.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Dave Harper and Craig Peer like this.
post #100 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
[QUOTE=KMFDMvsEnya;57975030]I will try to keep it succinct.

At the end of the second day the group humored me and my friend in watching various scenes from the new Alien TC 4K UHD. That was awesome as well and thanks for letting us watch a few scenes.

/QUOTE]

Alien is one of my favorite movies since I first saw it in the theater 40 years ago. I just watched the UHD version Saturday.

Of the scenes you viewed, were any really low ADL, and, if so, were the black levels noticeably different between projectors?

Thanks for your impressions.

Rex

Last edited by jencas; 04-30-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spellingerror
post #101 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Todd, I think it is time for you to weigh in here with your thoughts re: day 1. The masses cannot wait for Kris and John to stop their day jobs long enough to do a full writeup!
post #102 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
They're both good products. I keep seeing these posts about JVC owners ganging up on brand Y or brand X owners and honestly I see more people with different brands suffering from some sort of persecution complex.
Indeed, the level of paranoia and the persecution complexes evidenced by a couple of guys is truly bizarre. I assume most folks who are well off enough to own these projectors are in the 40's or 50's or later. But some act like 12-year olds.

It's just a thing, people! Whether yours is better or worse than someone else's with whatever picture attribute is being discussed does not impact your self-worth. And if someone likes JVC better than Sony, or vice-versa, or BenQ better than JVC, who cares? For crying out loud, everybody on these "comparison" threads needs to chill, and engage one another in a courteous and friendly manner that reflects that we're all in some sense "brothers" in this fun hobby.
mikela, jeahrens, mattztt and 4 others like this.
post #103 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
That is interesting that banding/posterization is still prevalent on the Sony line......no matter whether it is the top of the line 5000es or now the 995es....or the 695es and lower.

As far as I can see Kris Deering did not mention that it was a problem in his review of the 995es for S&V.(Kris can correct me on this)

I have said it before and I will say it again......Sony needs to remedy this one area more than any other.
Most likely they will always be second to JVC when it comes to contrast...….but I know Sony can get close......because I have a Sony1000es which can certainly give my JVC rs600 a good run for it's money in the contrast stakes.

But there is nothing more detrimental in my mind to an image than color banding or posterization.

Sony take heed.
I don’t think he means the “normally” Sony posterization - he is talking about something abnormally on the VW995 that is not on the VW695.
The normal Sony posterization is very mild, not many is annoyed about it.
post #104 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirodk View Post
I don’t think he means the “normally” Sony posterization - he is talking about something abnormally on the VW995 that is not on the VW695.

Ahh....ok.

I have a 7 year old 1000es and the posterization can be quite strong.
My assumption is that later models like the 5000es and now the 995es have mitigated the posterization.

That is a good thing.

I am hoping that posterization is one of the factors that was covered in this shoot out.
post #105 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Ahh....ok.

My assumption is that later models like the 5000es and now the 995es have mitigated the posterization.

That is a good thing.

I am hoping that posterization is one of the factors that was covered in this shoot out.
Yes there are less on the newer models but still there - to get totally rid of it I think Sony must develop new panels.
Reddig likes this.
post #106 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked: 2277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
It has to be the RS2000 as far as value proposition. No way the 3000 would be worth an extra 10k (right?) MSRP going off just what I saw last year with the 640 vs 4500 at the shootout. The 4500 was better, but nowhere near the price difference better IMO and there should be an even smaller gap with the 2000 vs 3000.

The 695 is priced to high as you mention, so that won't be the bang/buck champ.
I think Sony is going to have to release and/or price drop something next year that more closely matches the RS1000 and RS2000 in terms of price and features (i.e. overall bang for the buck).
Spizz, Toe and Frohlich like this.
post #107 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I think Sony is going to have to release and/or price drop something next year that more closely matches the RS1000 and RS2000 in terms of price and features (i.e. overall bang for the buck).
Would have thought that would have happened this year since here in the US, JVC pricing was released a day ahead of Sony pricing.
Spizz, Toe, Frohlich and 1 others like this.
post #108 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Yes you are right, the VW285 should get an iris and the VW695 should get better native contrast

I forgot to ad the prices I Europe is the same as JVC, RS1000 the same as VW285 and the RS2000 is the same as VW695.
So should it also be in US.

Last edited by mirodk; 04-30-2019 at 12:42 PM.
post #109 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Would have thought that would have happened this year since here in the US, JVC pricing was released a day ahead of Sony pricing.
Do you feel they need to, I am not saying they shouldn't as we all want lower prices but it seems from reading the forums here and just going out to stores when I visit places it seems Sony is pushed a lot more or sold at a lot more places. So are they trying to ensure they are priced closed to JVC or do they just ship enough volume that the will just adjust pricing as they see fit?
post #110 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 401 Post(s)
Quoted: 5654 Post(s)
Liked: 5515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Hey, weren't you accused of typing with an accents just a few days ago. Guess no mulligans for you this weekend...and you know what I am talking about (even thought nobody else does)

See Mike gets it!!!!
After close to 100 holes of golf over the next several days and hours in the golf cart, I'll have you speakin' right. The southern twang infiltrates even the strongest of northern accents... at least temporarily.
Frohlich likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #111 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
Indeed, the level of paranoia and the persecution complexes evidenced by a couple of guys is truly bizarre. I assume most folks who are well off enough to own these projectors are in the 40's or 50's or later. But some act like 12-year olds.

It's just a thing, people! Whether yours is better or worse than someone else's with whatever picture attribute is being discussed does not impact your self-worth. And if someone likes JVC better than Sony, or vice-versa, or BenQ better than JVC, who cares? For crying out loud, everybody on these "comparison" threads needs to chill, and engage one another in a courteous and friendly manner that reflects that we're all in some sense "brothers" in this fun hobby.
Sometimes people try to 'hide' or 'misinform' or 'downplay' an attribute, so all the newb lurkers that are making decisions get misinformed.
Some may even have ulterior motives (such as being a dealer of only certain brands), which creates bias automatically because its human nature, and they really shouldn't even be pushing a certain viewpoint so hard.

This kind of defeats the point of the forum when this happens. However, usually there are enough 'corrections' to peoples statements to counterbalance it.
Its the corrections that usually cause the arguments.
Frohlich, MovieRAV and Maestrosc like this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #112 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Sony take heed.
We need JVC to have competition, competition is healthy.
Sony has stronger dealer relationships and a better reseller program I believe, so that's why they get away with more than some other companies.
llang269 likes this.

Last edited by coderguy; 04-30-2019 at 01:07 PM.
post #113 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post

Smitty, thanks for the reminder that this is an interest/hobby each person should enjoy based on their tastes and goals. From the bare-bones budget hobbyist to industry professionals (and all budgets and tastes in between), forum members are passionate about all things related to sight and sound in their homes. One would think that's enough for each of us to stay level-headed and understand other points of view without being argumentative and/or rude.

Back to the thread.

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000, 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers

Last edited by Todd G.; 04-30-2019 at 04:34 PM.
post #114 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 01:25 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 4117 Post(s)
Liked: 6655
Quote:
Quote:
Ahh....ok.

That is a good thing.

Quote:
Yes there are less on the newer models but still there - to get totally rid of it I think Sony must develop new panels.
SONY's Smooth Gradiation does a pretty good job of either eliminating or at the very least minimizing the 'SONY-induced-posterization', albeit at the expense of slightly softening the image and losing some fine detail

post #115 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post
Do you feel they need to, I am not saying they shouldn't as we all want lower prices but it seems from reading the forums here and just going out to stores when I visit places it seems Sony is pushed a lot more or sold at a lot more places. So are they trying to ensure they are priced closed to JVC or do they just ship enough volume that the will just adjust pricing as they see fit?
A 25% difference in MSRP between an RS2000 and a VW695 is a pretty healthy amount.
post #116 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Sometimes people try to 'hide' or 'misinform' or 'downplay' an attribute, so all the newb lurkers that are making decisions get misinformed.
Some may even have ulterior motives (such as being a dealer of only certain brands), which creates bias automatically because its human nature, and they really shouldn't even be pushing a certain viewpoint so hard.

This kind of defeats the point of the forum when this happens. However, usually there are enough 'corrections' to peoples statements to counterbalance it.
Its the corrections that usually cause the arguments.
When talking Sony, JVC, Epson and BenQ, most dealers have access to all of those brands. Now a dealer may have higher profit on one brand vs another, so that could influence their recommendation.
post #117 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
When talking Sony, JVC, Epson and BenQ, most dealers have access to all of those brands. Now a dealer may have higher profit on one brand vs another, so that could influence their recommendation.
That is true, and I've considered that, but there are some that are only targeting a specific segment of the forum and trying to make it 'their own'.

post #118 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Funny how this thread keeps churning on but with no reports from the actual participants LOL

Must be a gag order
Mike Butny and rjmcinnis like this.
post #119 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Funny how this thread keeps churning on but with no reports from the actual participants LOL

Must be a gag order
They probably all fell into the trap of the Fat Tire Brewery patio. We almost didn't go to Estes Park on our last visit because of that place! Cheap, very good, beer and a grill that was always going. A deadly threat to motivation

post #120 of 409 Old 04-30-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
They probably all fell into the trap of the Fat Tire Brewery patio. We almost didn't go to Estes Park on our last visit because of that place! Cheap, very good, beer and a grill that was always going. A deadly threat to motivation
Denver also has some of the best Vietnamese food on the planet, and some of the best smoked chicken wings at some of the bars (oh my).
I had the best chicken wings on earth at some place in Denver, cannot remember the name unless I looked it up, but it was on south side.
Denver is a culinary exception compared to most cities of similar sizes, there is no shortage of reasonably priced world-class places to eat.

There are about a thousand things that could have distracted them, maybe they went to Arapahoe Basin to get in some late-season skiing
Craig Peer likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page