Projector Advice - JVC or BenQ - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
  • 4 Post By dkersten
  • 2 Post By noah katz
  • 1 Post By Craig Peer
  • 2 Post By Dave Harper
  • 2 Post By dkersten
  • 1 Post By mattztt
  • 1 Post By Shan87
  • 1 Post By jbn008
  • 1 Post By Dave Harper
  • 1 Post By Dave Harper
  • 1 Post By markmon1

post #1 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Projector Advice - JVC or BenQ

I'm much more of a layman than most on this forum. I bought an Optoma UHD50 a few months back as place holder until i was ready to get the projector i would really be happy with. After a lot of reading i was pretty much settled on JVC RS1000, which would be a significant budget stretch, but I figured it was worth the commitment. Then started reading about BenQ HT5550 yesterday which does seem like a decent more budget conscious option. I understand they are very different in the chips they use, and the JVC is True 4K. Both would be a an improvement on what ive been using, but i guess im looking for a quick explanation on what I would be giving up with the BenQ, and whether its worth it for someone like me to go for the higher end projector.

106" 16:9 Screen.
Mostly used for movies and Cable. Some sports, but not enough to be a deciding factor.
Room is light controlled but walls are still painted white for now.
Some pictures attached towards the end of my build.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	549.0 KB
ID:	2551248   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1014.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	2551250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1012.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	495.8 KB
ID:	2551252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0989.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	470.1 KB
ID:	2551254  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Why do you feel the BenQ HT5550 would be a worthy improvement over the Optoma UHD50?

They are both extremely similar spec projectors with the exact same DLP chip.
post #3 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
These two projectors use very different technology and there are pros and cons to each. The JVC uses a version of LCoS, or liquid crystal on silicon, in a three chip array that converges together to form the full RGB image. The main advantages are a drastic increase in native contrast and an image that is more similar to what you would get on a conventional television or monitor. The disadvantages are you are in convergence and the amount of light you can get out of the technology. The BenQ uses DLP technology, which uses millions of tiny mirrors to point the light to the right place on the screen. It can do this very fast, so it can handle a lot of different frames per second, allowing for a color wheel to be used to flash the different colors up on the screen in rapid succession to achieve the full RGB spectrum. The main advantage is there is no convergence required, so it can have an impressively sharp image, and the light path is simplified and allows for much more light to be passed through the system. Also due to how fast the DLP mirrors can move, you can get impressive motion interpolation or processing, making sports games look better. The main disadvantages are severely low native contrast, lack of color accuracy and color gamut, and because it flashes the different colors at different times between each frame, some people can see what flashes of rainbow colors if their eye flicks fast enough across the screen. This is referred to as "RBE" or Rainbow Effect. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.

Typically DLP projectors under $10k don't have a lot of the same features as the higher end LCoS, such as a large amount of lens shifting, powered lens shift, focus, and zoom, and a host of other small features. This is probably to keep costs down, as some of the new BenQ models I have seen have more lens shift, and adding power features would be relatively easy, they just don't seem to offer them.

Bottom line, is how each would fit your needs. Since your theater is not "blacked out", you wouldn't get the full benefit of JVC's very low black floor, but that isn't to say that the improved native contrast wouldn't be a huge benefit. If you are used to watching OLED TV's and like the deep rich blacks, then you would probably prefer the JVC over the BenQ. However, if sports is one of your main priorities, then the DLP's extra lumen output and the sharp image with good motion might give the edge to the BenQ. It looks like you have a 16:9 screen, so you don't need to power zoom and shift to go from 16:9 to scope format, so a lot of the little features of the JVC might be lost on you. If you game a lot, it is a mixed bag, as 4k gaming on the JVC will give you the best image quality (being native 4k and able to resolve pixel details better), but the BenQ may have lower latency by about 10-20ms.

Overall, the biggest thing people notice is that DLP's throw a bright and sharp image, while the LCoS's throw a rich, colorful image with great contrast that tends to be closer to "looking through a window" rather than looking at a screen. Most people on this sub-forum would tell you without a doubt to go with the JVC, but there are some holdouts who would say to give the DLP a try. They each have their strengths, and about all I can say is I went the JVC direction, mostly because of features, even though I have a very large screen and would benefit greatly from the brighter DLP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
These two projectors use very different technology and there are pros and cons to each. The JVC uses a version of LCoS, or liquid crystal on silicon, in a three chip array that converges together to form the full RGB image. The main advantages are a drastic increase in native contrast and an image that is more similar to what you would get on a conventional television or monitor. The disadvantages are you are in convergence and the amount of light you can get out of the technology. The BenQ uses DLP technology, which uses millions of tiny mirrors to point the light to the right place on the screen. It can do this very fast, so it can handle a lot of different frames per second, allowing for a color wheel to be used to flash the different colors up on the screen in rapid succession to achieve the full RGB spectrum. The main advantage is there is no convergence required, so it can have an impressively sharp image, and the light path is simplified and allows for much more light to be passed through the system. Also due to how fast the DLP mirrors can move, you can get impressive motion interpolation or processing, making sports games look better. The main disadvantages are severely low native contrast, lack of color accuracy and color gamut, and because it flashes the different colors at different times between each frame, some people can see what flashes of rainbow colors if their eye flicks fast enough across the screen. This is referred to as "RBE" or Rainbow Effect. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.

Typically DLP projectors under $10k don't have a lot of the same features as the higher end LCoS, such as a large amount of lens shifting, powered lens shift, focus, and zoom, and a host of other small features. This is probably to keep costs down, as some of the new BenQ models I have seen have more lens shift, and adding power features would be relatively easy, they just don't seem to offer them.

Bottom line, is how each would fit your needs. Since your theater is not "blacked out", you wouldn't get the full benefit of JVC's very low black floor, but that isn't to say that the improved native contrast wouldn't be a huge benefit. If you are used to watching OLED TV's and like the deep rich blacks, then you would probably prefer the JVC over the BenQ. However, if sports is one of your main priorities, then the DLP's extra lumen output and the sharp image with good motion might give the edge to the BenQ. It looks like you have a 16:9 screen, so you don't need to power zoom and shift to go from 16:9 to scope format, so a lot of the little features of the JVC might be lost on you. If you game a lot, it is a mixed bag, as 4k gaming on the JVC will give you the best image quality (being native 4k and able to resolve pixel details better), but the BenQ may have lower latency by about 10-20ms.

Overall, the biggest thing people notice is that DLP's throw a bright and sharp image, while the LCoS's throw a rich, colorful image with great contrast that tends to be closer to "looking through a window" rather than looking at a screen. Most people on this sub-forum would tell you without a doubt to go with the JVC, but there are some holdouts who would say to give the DLP a try. They each have their strengths, and about all I can say is I went the JVC direction, mostly because of features, even though I have a very large screen and would benefit greatly from the brighter DLP.
Yea, i guess the better question, as SirMaster stated above, is would the BenQ be a significant improvement over what i have now. So assuming the answer is not so clear then if I'm gonna do this then go for the higher end projector and leave little doubt that im getting something i will be impressed by and happy with.

Daniel Wander
post #5 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6612 Post(s)
Liked: 7678
That 106" screen won't be hard to light up, so whatever you get, a manual iris might be helpful. Also, please paint those white walls / ceiling at least gray. You'll be glad you did !
post #6 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwander View Post
Yea, i guess the better question, as SirMaster stated above, is would the BenQ be a significant improvement over what i have now. So assuming the answer is not so clear then if I'm gonna do this then go for the higher end projector and leave little doubt that im getting something i will be impressed by and happy with.
I appreciate the response. I have very little experience with higher end OLED tvs besides what ive seen in stores so i wouldnt be comparing it to anything really. Gaming is a non factor for me as well. If the differences lie in the native contrast and accurate color and they would be noticeable I assume that should be a driving factor. I just dont know if i would prefer the brighter image or not. I kind of assumed on the smaller screen i have it wouldnt be an issue

Daniel Wander
post #7 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
That 106" screen won't be hard to light up, so whatever you get, a manual iris might be helpful. Also, please paint those white walls / ceiling at least gray. You'll be glad you did !
will do! i had so much fun and put all my free time into building the room and installing all the molding and wiring, but when i got to pre-paint phase i slowed down. Calking and spackling is not as much fun as working with the Miter saw and nail gun. So, as i inch closer to finishing the prep work Im getting closer to painting and being done with it all

Daniel Wander
post #8 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
I'm much more of a layman than most on this forum. I bought an Optoma UHD50 a few months back as place holder until i was ready to get the projector i would really be happy with. After a lot of reading i was pretty much settled on JVC RS1000, which would be a significant budget stretch, but I figured it was worth the commitment. Then started reading about BenQ HT5550 yesterday which does seem like a decent more budget conscious option. I understand they are very different in the chips they use, and the JVC is True 4K. Both would be a an improvement on what ive been using, but i guess im looking for a quick explanation on what I would be giving up with the BenQ, and whether its worth it for someone like me to go for the higher end projector.

106" 16:9 Screen.
Mostly used for movies and Cable. Some sports, but not enough to be a deciding factor.
Room is light controlled but walls are still painted white for now.
Some pictures attached towards the end of my build.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Either the BenQ HT8060 or HT9060 would be a better choice than the HT5550, both would be more noticeable upgrades since both use the 0.66 DMD and have reference quality lenses - especially the HT9060 which also adds super bright HLD LED and full DCI-P3 coverage with no light loss. If you keep an eye on the benq direct refurb site you can get one that will actually will fit in your budget, too.

Last edited by Ruined; 04-10-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #9 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Either the BenQ HT8060 or HT9060 would be a better choice than the HT5550, both would be more noticeable upgrades since both use the 0.66 DMD and have reference quality lenses - especially the HT9060 which also adds super bright HLD LED and full DCI-P3 coverage with no light loss. If you keep an eye on the benq direct refurb site you can get one that will actually will fit in your budget, too.
Thanks. I see the 8050 and 9050 on their now. Ill keep an eye on it

Daniel Wander
post #10 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1817 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Since budget is an issue, I'd ask yourself if you might not be better off with an eshift JVC.

Are you sitting close enough to discern the difference from true 4k?
JohnnyWilkinson and brazensol like this.

Noah
post #11 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6612 Post(s)
Liked: 7678
Quote:
will do! i had so much fun and put all my free time into building the room and installing all the molding and wiring, but when i got to pre-paint phase i slowed down. Calking and spackling is not as much fun as working with the Miter saw and nail gun. So, as i inch closer to finishing the prep work Im getting closer to painting and being done with it all
I like the painting phase because it means I'm nearly finished ! And it can make a big change -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0890.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	857.4 KB
ID:	2551282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0777.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	2551284  
Aztar35 likes this.
post #12 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Thanks. I see the 8050 and 9050 on their now. Ill keep an eye on it
Those are both actually not a good idea. The 8050/9050 are very old & were the very first consumer 4k DLPs released. Both were rushed & unfinished with numerous problems.

The recently released HT8060/HT9060 on the other hand are excellent and refurbs of them from benq direct can be gotten in your price range if you give them a call.
post #13 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 238
If I were you, I would look at the Sony vw295 for sale in the classifieds.

Can probably get one of them, with almost no hours for around $3000.

I know its not the JVC or BenQ, but if one of my friends approached me with your exact setup, this or even the Epson 5050ub would be among my suggestions.

I wont get into a EpsonvsJVCvsBenQ fight on this thread, but there is a reason the Epson 5020/30/40 were all probably the best sellers in their price range for the past 5 years. They are SOLID all around projectors, where they wont do anything the best, but they also wont do anything the worst.

If you havent figured out your preferences yet in terms of "Do I need darker blacks, or Do i need brighter colors? Or do I need a really sharp projector, do I care about RBE potential..." The Epsons are rock solid in terms of plug and play, and I have never talked to anyone who when they first got their Epson werent happy with it.
post #14 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Those are both actually not a good idea. The 8050/9050 are very old & were the very first consumer 4k DLPs released. Both were rushed & unfinished with numerous problems.

The recently released HT8060/HT9060 on the other hand are excellent and refurbs of them from benq direct can be gotten in your price range if you give them a call.
Yea, i wasnt considering those. I meant ill keep an eye on the refurb availability for the newer models. But i appreciate it bc i was wondering what the differences were.

Daniel Wander
post #15 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
If I were you, I would look at the Sony vw295 for sale in the classifieds.

Can probably get one of them, with almost no hours for around $3000.

I know its not the JVC or BenQ, but if one of my friends approached me with your exact setup, this or even the Epson 5050ub would be among my suggestions.

I wont get into a EpsonvsJVCvsBenQ fight on this thread, but there is a reason the Epson 5020/30/40 were all probably the best sellers in their price range for the past 5 years. They are SOLID all around projectors, where they wont do anything the best, but they also wont do anything the worst.

If you havent figured out your preferences yet in terms of "Do I need darker blacks, or Do i need brighter colors? Or do I need a really sharp projector, do I care about RBE potential..." The Epsons are rock solid in terms of plug and play, and I have never talked to anyone who when they first got their Epson werent happy with it.
Theres probably no logical reason, but i crossed the Epsons off the list a while ago. I do understand that the 3 LCD chip will do some things better than the single DLP but i guess i wanted to focus on True 4K. Even though i know the single chip DLP is argued not to be True 4K by many.

I did consider the Sony 295. After a lot of reading it seemed the JVC would probably be a little better, so figured if i was going to pay in the range of these two then go with the JVC. I wanted to try and buy new with warranty to avoid any unfix-able issues or remorse. The last few weeks has been about crossing models off the list and zeroing in to make the order this friday. More difficult than expected, especially with these forums. So much information, reported issues, debate, and things i don't even understand mixed in. Getting closer though

Daniel Wander
post #16 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723

Quote:

............Overall, the biggest thing people notice is that DLP's throw a bright and sharp image, while the LCoS's throw a rich, colorful image with great contrast that tends to be closer to "looking through a window" rather than looking at a screen.........

Funny, that’s the one thing that I noticed more on the BenQ LK970/990 DLPs with incredible ANSI contrast, than all the other many techs I’ve had through here in 25+ years

Quote:
.........Most people on this sub-forum would tell you without a doubt to go with the JVC, but there are some holdouts who would say to give the DLP a try. ...................
Holdouts? That was good for a real belly laugh. Interesting choice of words.
Maestrosc and jherring69 like this.
post #17 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Funny, that’s the one thing that I noticed more on the BenQ LK970/990 DLPs with incredible ANSI contrast, than all the other many techs I’ve had through here in 25+ years
You are one of the few who I have ever seen who say that, yet so many more JVC owners say it about the new JVC projectors and the RS4500, at least when projecting on a "normal sized" screen (100-130").

When it comes down to it, I don't have the luxury of viewing all these projectors in person, so I have to go on what I read, and overwhelmingly I read more about the new JVC's having some of the most realistic images available under $25k than I do about any DLP projector short of the Christie. You are certainly the loudest voice when it comes to defending the BenQ DLP's.
Quote:
Holdouts? That was good for a real belly laugh. Interesting choice of words.
When you have a few people pushing back against overwhelming opinion of the masses, what do you call those people? The fact is, MOST people in this subforum won't even consider DLP unless you are talking about a 6 figure Christie projector. I don't think that is blind brand loyalty, it comes from something based in reality. But hey, I really don't care how you label this small crowd, they are still in the minority in this subforum. I also have no doubt that the lk970/990 is as impressive as you say on some types of media and is a spectacular value for the money. It doesn't change the fact that only a few people in this subforum would say it is superior to the new JVC line.

I have a ton of respect for the regulars in this forum, particularly for those who have been around a long time and are icons in the industry. In fact I use a variation of your "Harpervision" settings on my current Epson 5040 (at least until tomorrow when my new RS2000 arrives), and I was thrilled to unlock the potential of that projector's HDR abilities at a point I was about to give up on 4k altogether. When I see a post by you, I pay close attention because I am inclined to believe that you know what you are talking about. But recently you have been a bit... rude to people who don't see eye to eye with you. Please don't assume that everyone who disagrees with you is attacking you, it's a quick way to turn toxic in social media settings.
Javs and Craig Peer like this.
post #18 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Most of the DLP advocates are folks who have moved on from lamp projectors. We're not married to any technology.

I'm very intrigued by the 9060 and 990 but I would never steer the OP in this thread to the 5500 over the RS1000. Although which JVC he should buy might be up for debate.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #19 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 355
If you are watching mostly movies or TV with little sports and no gaming, I would really take a close look at the RS540. It'll have superior contrast to the RS1000 or any Benq and with a 106" screen it'll have plenty of light and I doubt you could discern any difference in sharpness from your seating position compared to a native 4K model. You also won't have to worry about the possibility of RBE.
CoreyM likes this.
post #20 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
If you are watching mostly movies or TV with little sports and no gaming, I would really take a close look at the RS540. It'll have superior contrast to the RS1000 or any Benq and with a 106" screen it'll have plenty of light and I doubt you could discern any difference in sharpness from your seating position compared to a native 4K model. You also won't have to worry about the possibility of RBE.
I just recently upgraded from a Benq w6000 to a JVC DLA-X790 and would agree with this. I use this projector in my living room so not really light controlled at all and the contrast difference is incredible. I was worried about the native motion as everyone says the DLP does so much better but I honestly can't see any difference between the two.

I'm using it on a 120" screen running in low lamp with brightness to spare.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #21 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Last two posts very helpful. I’ll look into some of the other JVCs but knowing myself I’ll probaly opt for the new true 4K model in the end. You look at the different models and see they all have so many similar features and specs (at least the ones I understand or convinced myself I want), and it’s hard to understand why am I paying a good amount more when they do the same thing for the most part. I guess I needed a little reassurance that the difference is significant enough to go for it should I land on that option.
Thanks

Daniel Wander
post #22 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Last two posts very helpful. I’ll look into some of the other JVCs but knowing myself I’ll probaly opt for the new true 4K model in the end. You look at the different models and see they all have so many similar features and specs (at least the ones I understand or convinced myself I want), and it’s hard to understand why am I paying a good amount more when they do the same thing for the most part. I guess I needed a little reassurance that the difference is significant enough to go for it should I land on that option.
Thanks
If you really want the native 4k save for the RS2000. That's normally the sweet spot in the JVC line, they typically have 3 models each year and the one in the middle is the one to buy for about 3/4s of that market. Otherwise you can probably get a steal on a 540 and it likely outperforms the 1000 in most measures.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #23 of 30 Old 04-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
If you really want the native 4k save for the RS2000. That's normally the sweet spot in the JVC line, they typically have 3 models each year and the one in the middle is the one to buy for about 3/4s of that market. Otherwise you can probably get a steal on a 540 and it likely outperforms the 1000 in most measures.
As a former RS500 and RS520 owner, I can say for certain that I prefer the image of the RS1000. While the contrast is better on the former, the clarity (and calmness/ film-like) image on the new JVC is a sight to behold. I personally wouldn't be able to go back to a eshift image after what I've seen from the RS1000. Of course it's up to the buyer if the cost is worth the extra money, but in my opinion the RS540 is inferior to the RS1000 in overall picture quality.

That being said, you can't beat the RS540 in price performance imo.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #24 of 30 Old 04-11-2019, 01:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
I weigh in into the discussion because it describes my own predicament rather well.

To cut a long story short: Because of many unexpected expenses at the start of 2019 I won't be able to afford a 4K JVC.

I have therefore been closely following the BenQ HT5550 (W5700 in Europe) developments as a possible, lower budget alternative (which would nevertheless keep me in the DLP camp as I'm still using an Optoma HD 8300).

Once you saw a JVC and its superior black level and contrast reproduction (which gives projected images an unparalleled depth, quite in contrast to the greyish blacks of DLP technology which don't come close), it's quite difficult to hold on to DLP.

Since current 4K DLP projectors use a much smaller Digital Micromirror Device (DMD) than the previous ones, contrast and black levels have supposedly suffered because of the DMD size reduction - and in the particular case of the latest BenQ models a mechanical, dynamic iris has been implemented to overcome these deficiencies.

Personally, I still have to see the BenQ HT5550 with my own eyes to determine whether its black level and contrast performance is something I can live with (has to be better than my HD 8300 or I'll forget about the whole thing) or rather wait and save up money for a JVC instead.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #25 of 30 Old 04-11-2019, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
I weigh in into the discussion because it describes my own predicament rather well.

To cut a long story short: Because of many unexpected expenses at the start of 2019 I won't be able to afford a 4K JVC.

I have therefore been closely following the BenQ HT5550 (W5700 in Europe) developments as a possible, lower budget alternative (which would nevertheless keep me in the DLP camp as I'm still using an Optoma HD 8300).

Once you saw a JVC and its superior black level and contrast reproduction (which gives projected images an unparalleled depth, quite in contrast to the greyish blacks of DLP technology which don't come close), it's quite difficult to hold on to DLP.

Since current 4K DLP projectors use a much smaller Digital Micromirror Device (DMD) than the previous ones, contrast and black levels have supposedly suffered because of the DMD size reduction - and in the particular case of the latest BenQ models a mechanical, dynamic iris has been implemented to overcome these deficiencies.

Personally, I still have to see the BenQ HT5550 with my own eyes to determine whether its black level and contrast performance is something I can live with (has to be better than my HD 8300 or I'll forget about the whole thing) or rather wait and save up money for a JVC instead.

Yea, thats exactly where i am and why i started this thread. Although i could buy the 4K JVC, and im just trying to decide on which one. Dont want to buy the BenQ and then constantly be thinking i should have gotten the JVC. I see a lot of people saying to spring for the NX7. I just am not going to put that much money into a projector, so if that is the case I could also stick with the DLP and wait it out a while until things change a little.
post #26 of 30 Old 04-11-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4633 Post(s)
Liked: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
They are SOLID all around projectors, where they wont do anything the best, but they also wont do anything the worst.
This is a very accurate description of Epson.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #27 of 30 Old 04-12-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 527
With a 106" screen I'd go JVC RS-540 all day long. I use one on a 135" 2.40:1 white on black spandex (~0.8 gain) and it is right on the edge of needing to be brighter in low lamp mode. At 106" brightness won't be an issue. It is not true 4k but I do not find myself wanting to upgrade on that aspect alone.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #28 of 30 Old 04-12-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You are one of the few who I have ever seen who say that, yet so many more JVC owners say it about the new JVC projectors and the RS4500, at least when projecting on a "normal sized" screen (100-130").

When it comes down to it, I don't have the luxury of viewing all these projectors in person, so I have to go on what I read, and overwhelmingly I read more about the new JVC's having some of the most realistic images available under $25k than I do about any DLP projector short of the Christie. You are certainly the loudest voice when it comes to defending the BenQ DLP's.

When you have a few people pushing back against overwhelming opinion of the masses, what do you call those people? The fact is, MOST people in this subforum won't even consider DLP unless you are talking about a 6 figure Christie projector. I don't think that is blind brand loyalty, it comes from something based in reality. But hey, I really don't care how you label this small crowd, they are still in the minority in this subforum. I also have no doubt that the lk970/990 is as impressive as you say on some types of media and is a spectacular value for the money. It doesn't change the fact that only a few people in this subforum would say it is superior to the new JVC line.

I have a ton of respect for the regulars in this forum, particularly for those who have been around a long time and are icons in the industry. In fact I use a variation of your "Harpervision" settings on my current Epson 5040 (at least until tomorrow when my new RS2000 arrives), and I was thrilled to unlock the potential of that projector's HDR abilities at a point I was about to give up on 4k altogether. When I see a post by you, I pay close attention because I am inclined to believe that you know what you are talking about. But recently you have been a bit... rude to people who don't see eye to eye with you. Please don't assume that everyone who disagrees with you is attacking you, it's a quick way to turn toxic in social media settings.

I am far from the only person to say that. To get that “looking out the window” effect, which is what was contested, you need things like sharpness, detail, great lens, high ANSI contrast, high brightness to simulate sunlight if there, etc. all of these the LKs have in spades over the others. That is why they’re better for that attribute someone is looking for. I know this for a fact because I’ve had them all, and pretty recently too (have you?), and the LKs easily have that MUCH better than the others.

You’re using the term “holdout” as some sort of resistance, which is utter BS! It’s a choice!
jherring69 likes this.
post #29 of 30 Old 04-12-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
.........You are certainly the loudest voice when it comes to defending the BenQ DLP's.

When you have a few people pushing back against overwhelming opinion of the masses, what do you call those people?.......

I call them “not sheep blindly following their sheep dogs”.
Maestrosc likes this.
post #30 of 30 Old 04-12-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4633 Post(s)
Liked: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
This time around I think the RS1000 might be good enough.
SirMaster likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page