JVC NX series HDR image artifact? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By SirMaster
  • 1 Post By Manni01
  • 1 Post By Manni01

post #1 of 20 Old 04-16-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 391
*SOLVED* JVC NX series HDR image artifact?

This was caused by motion enhance low setting, creating a ghosting artifact from the panel overdrive.

Hey all. I have what I believe to be a new NX series image artifact that I would like to report and perhaps have others check out to confirm / diagnose / etc.

I noticed that on a particular scene in X-Men Apocalypse that there is a very noticeable yellow "ghosting" artifact in the image on the JVC NX when it is in either HDR color profile or BT2020 color profile (NX7).

I have confirmed that this image artifact happens both on my NX5 in HDR color profile and in a friends NX7 in BT2020 color profile. Switching the projector to rec709 color profile makes this image artifact go away. Iris is completely open and set to manual.

Here are video clips demonstrating this artifact.

HDR / BT2020 artifact:

In case you can’t tell, the artifact is the yellow spots all over his face, chin, and neck as his head moves up the screen.

rec709 no artifact:

I have recorded the scene on my camera in slo-mo to more easily demonstrate the artifact, but I can assure you its easily visible in full-speed playback too. This artifact happens all over in numerous scenes in this whole section of the film where quicksilver is rescuing people from the explosion.

Here is the source scene clip for you to try yourself:

https://nicko88.com/misc/projector_t...ifact_Test.mkv

It appears that this artifact happens in between frames, so you cannot see it on any single paused frame. If you step through the video frame-by-frame however, you can see the artifact, but only as the frame transitions to the next frame. Once the frame has been advanced and is at rest, there is no artifact any longer.

This may be something we need to send to JVC to look into.

Thanks
SOWK likes this.

Last edited by SirMaster; 04-16-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-16-2019, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 340
I have the exact same thing. Whenever there is yellow or orange content or if there is very high contrast then there is this streaking or ghosting on my NX7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #3 of 20 Old 04-16-2019, 10:46 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 2131
Same issue here on that scene.

JVC needs to fix yet ANOTHER bug!

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-16-2019, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I noticed a similar issue on The Hitman's Body Guard when the asian guy is about to board the plane and he and Ryan Renolds have a bow with each other. I played around with settings and found that the issue for me was fixed with reducing the contrast and color settings.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
post #5 of 20 Old 04-16-2019, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
I noticed a similar issue on The Hitman's Body Guard when the asian guy is about to board the plane and he and Ryan Renolds have a bow with each other. I played around with settings and found that the issue for me was fixed with reducing the contrast and color settings.

My contrast is zero -interestingly this doesn’t happen using Shield. Only using HTPC. Maybe something to do with color space or color levels.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #6 of 20 Old 04-16-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 5412
I replied in the owners' thread before finding this thread. Couldn't reproduce, so I'm not sure it's a JVC bug, or if it is it doesn't seem to affect everyone.

JVC Autocal Software V11 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
post #7 of 20 Old 04-16-2019, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I posted it in the owner’s thread but just to add it here, I can see this in madVR when using hdr passthrough option but not when tone mapping in madVR.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-16-2019, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Solved

Well I can confirm what I speculated in the owners thread. The case can be closed on this one.

It's simply motion enhance ghosting artifact. When I set Motion Enhance to Off, the artifact completely goes away.

Simply a common artifact when you overdrive a display panel. Same sort of thing happens to a LCD monitor when you use pixel overdrive feature.

Last edited by SirMaster; 04-16-2019 at 07:08 PM.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-16-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Well I can confirm what I speculated in the owners thread. The case can be closed on this one.

It's simply motion enhance ghosting artifact. When I set Motion Enhance to Off, the artifact completely goes away.

Simply a common artifact when you overdrive a display panel. Same sort of thing happens to a LCD monitor when you use pixel overdrive feature.
You may consider editing the first post to indicate its solved.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-17-2019, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What you speculated?

Glad to hear it solved your issue, but it might not be the only reason for everyone, as it's one of the first things I checked and it didn't cause that artifact here.

CMD and Motion Enhance should be avoided precisely for these reasons for critical watching. It's fine to use them for sports if it improves the picture more than it hurts it, but I really suggest to set low latency on and disable everything else in the CMD menu. That is unless you're a fan of SOE with movies of course.

It would be good if you posted this in the owners' thread and edited your original post as well, to make it clear it was a settings issue and not a JVC bug. There are enough things to solve in the new models to not add non-existent issues to the list, as people read this and will think "one more issue for the JVCs"
ultra 150 pilot likes this.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 04-17-2019 at 08:22 AM.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-17-2019, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Let me try tonight on my NX7 and confirm as well

post #12 of 20 Old 04-17-2019, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
CMD and Motion Enhance should be avoided precisely for these reasons for critical watching. It's fine to use them for sports if it improves the picture more than it hurts it, but I really suggest to set low latency on and disable everything else in the CMD menu. That is unless you're a fan of SOE with movies of course.

It would be good if you posted this in the owners' thread and edited your original post as well, to make it clear it was a settings issue and not a JVC bug. There are enough things to solve in the new models to not add non-existent issues to the list, as people read this and will think "one more issue for the JVCs"
Is this the first time JVC have shipped with Motion Enhance enabled by default? I don't recall it being on with my RS600, but it was set to Low on my RS3000. First thing I disabled
post #13 of 20 Old 04-17-2019, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
What you speculated?

Glad to hear it solved your issue, but it might not be the only reason for everyone, as it's one of the first things I checked and it didn't cause that artifact here.

Why are you suggesting to let low latency on? I mean on movies, i think this control is for game.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-17-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
Why are you suggesting to let low latency on? I mean on movies, i think this control is for game.
Low latency has no effect re latency on the new models, but it disables all unnecessary processing, including CMD. Hence switching it on reduces the risk of having some processing enabled that can be detrimental to picture quality. It might also help getting a slightly faster HDMI sync, but I haven't timed this.

post #15 of 20 Old 04-17-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
Is this the first time JVC have shipped with Motion Enhance enabled by default? I don't recall it being on with my RS600, but it was set to Low on my RS3000. First thing I disabled
Not sure how it shipped on my rs500, but it's the first thing I disabled too on the RS200, along with the excessive MPC settings

I never saw any visible motion improvement using it, but I could see a few picture artifacts so I never used it.

post #16 of 20 Old 04-18-2019, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Confirmed. It was motion enhance setting. I tested this with How to train your dragon : Hidden World ship battle scene, and with MMFR, night scene. Both have significant artifacts with the low latency on.

Given that this mode is essentially 'defective', why would JVC ship with such a mode at all. All it causes is pain for the user.

post #17 of 20 Old 04-18-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Confirmed. It was motion enhance setting. I tested this with How to train your dragon : Hidden World ship battle scene, and with MMFR, night scene. Both have significant artifacts with the low latency on.

Given that this mode is essentially 'defective', why would JVC ship with such a mode at all. All it causes is pain for the user.
It's not defective, like all processing it does some good (possibly) and some bad (definitely). That's why I keep all processing off. That way I'm not wondering...
tommarra likes this.

post #18 of 20 Old 04-18-2019, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, it's not defective. This is what happens when you overdrive someting. They are literally pushing the panels out of spec, beyond their normal capabilities. The same sorts of artifacts happen on LCD monitors when you enable pixel overdrive to reduce the response time.

The tradeoff is less motion blur in all scenes with it on, but ghosting artifacts like this in a couple scenes here and there.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-18-2019, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's not defective, like all processing it does some good (possibly) and some bad (definitely). That's why I keep all processing off. That way I'm not wondering...
Quote:
Yeah, it's not defective. This is what happens when you overdrive someting. They are literally pushing the panels out of spec, beyond their normal capabilities. The same sorts of artifacts happen on LCD monitors when you enable pixel overdrive to reduce the response time.

The tradeoff is less motion blur in all scenes with it on, but ghosting artifacts like this in a couple scenes here and there.
I was being flippant, i didn't mean it to be a defect like the Yellow DI.

For me if a setting causes the basic function of the projector, to show picture without artifacts, then it should either not exist, or provide a big caveat in the manual. A number of us spent hours troubleshooting this issue. My first thought was that it was something to do with my HTPC drivers (because this doesnt happen with Nvidia Shield), then MadVR, then the movie file itself, contrast settings, brightness settings, etc etc.

Before you two provided the solution here!

Imagine NX7 being on demo somewhere with these settings being on ... a casual buyer would this ... whoaa this JVC throws a bad image.

post #20 of 20 Old 04-21-2019, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 47
So far, I dont seem to get that artifact? (NX5/RS1000)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page