• 1 Post By ultra 150 pilot

post #1 of 24 Old 04-16-2019, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 217
JVC NX5 setting tread

Not sure why we don't have one because the owners tread just too big & really need to be split into setting tread also. We had this with other JVC models(Rant over)...But my question is,just got my NX5 & i have it paired with Panasonic UB820 can someone direct to me where to start with setting, been reading this owners tread for hour can't seem to find it.

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-17-2019, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Not sure why we don't have one because the owners tread just too big & really need to be split into setting tread also. We had this with other JVC models(Rant over)...But my question is,just got my NX5 & i have it paired with Panasonic UB820 can someone direct to me where to start with setting, been reading this owners tread for hour can't seem to find it.
Just got my RS1000 yesterday, and I also am looking for some settings advice. I read through the owners a whole bunch trying to decide to buy or not. Now, i dont have the patience to go through it again to look for some good tips. Hoping some stuff lands in this thread

Daniel Wander
post #3 of 24 Old 04-17-2019, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwander View Post
Just got my RS1000 yesterday, and I also am looking for some settings advice. I read through the owners a whole bunch trying to decide to buy or not. Now, i dont have the patience to go through it again to look for some good tips. Hoping some stuff lands in this thread

Its sad that owner's tread has gotten so far off topic it's ridiculous. Asking for help has gotten drowned out. I inbox a friend of mines that close hopeful he will give me a starting point. I will let you know asap when i hear back from him.
smitty likes this.

Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 04-17-2019, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 352
The NX5 works great out of the box with default settings so even scouring the owner's thread you're not going to find much beyond that. If you have a small or high-gain screen you may want to close the iris some for SDR. You may also want to adjust the Brightness setting to -2 or -3 if your black level is too high (common on these).
post #5 of 24 Old 04-17-2019, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
The NX5 works great out of the box with default settings so even scouring the owner's thread you're not going to find much beyond that. If you have a small or high-gain screen you may want to close the iris some for SDR. You may also want to adjust the Brightness setting to -2 or -3 if your black level is too high (common on these).
What do i need to set on the JVC if i want it to handle all the tone mapping ?

post #6 of 24 Old 04-17-2019, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
What do i need to set on the JVC if i want it to handle all the tone mapping ?
Tone mapping is automatically enabled for any HDR source with metadata. You may want to adjust the "Mapping Level" slider if the overall image is too dim when watching HDR.

When the HDR source does not contain metadata then you'll have to experiment with the manual gamma controls to get best results. The manual contains a reasonable description of these.
Nexgen76 likes this.

Last edited by mattztt; 04-17-2019 at 04:06 PM.
post #7 of 24 Old 04-17-2019, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tone mapping is automatically enabled for any HDR source with metadata. You may want to adjust the "Mapping Level" slider if the overall image is too dim when watching HDR.

When the HDR source does not contain metadata the automatic tone mapping then you'll have to experiment with the manual gamma controls to get best results. The manual contains a reasonable description of these.
Okay that's been my issue the picture was too dim, Plus picture looked kinda washed out.

post #8 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Are there any other settings? Right now I haven't really touched any of the settings, but I want to make sure it is where it all should be for the best picture.

FAMILY ROOM - Totem Tribe II LCR, JL Audio E-112, Anthem MRX 720, Apple TV, WD HDTV, Panasonic 55" Plasma
BASEMENT THEATRE - Paradigm Studio 100 v5, 690 v5, 10x4 v5, Anthem AVM 60, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7125, 2x JTR Captivator S2s, X-Box One, Apple TV, HTPC, Ben-Q W1070, 106" screen
post #9 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
Are there any other settings? Right now I haven't really touched any of the settings, but I want to make sure it is where it all should be for the best picture.
I’ve been messing with my NX5 for the last couple weeks and I think I finally got my settings to where I like.

For HDR:
High Lamp Mode
Iris: -1
MPC: Hi Res Enhance 3
Contrast: 3
Brightness: 1
Color: 4
Gamma: HDR

For SDR:
Low lamp mode
Iris: -3
MPC: Hi Res Enhance 1
Brightness: 3
Gamma: 2.3

My blacks are slightly elevated but I like my picture to have some pop so I’ll take a brighter image with a little less black.
Nexgen76 likes this.
post #10 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub90 View Post
I’ve been messing with my NX5 for the last couple weeks and I think I finally got my settings to where I like.

For HDR:
High Lamp Mode

For SDR:
Low lamp mode

My blacks are slightly elevated but I like my picture to have some pop so I’ll take a brighter image with a little less black.

Nice, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. So I assume when the projector detects HDR, it will automatically go to those settings once I input them, then everything else will be SDR? Did you select a specific picture mode like User 1 or cinema? Lastly, for the motion, CMD and Lag one, I have read to leave the lag one on, then everything else off.

I appreciate your help. Thank you.

FAMILY ROOM - Totem Tribe II LCR, JL Audio E-112, Anthem MRX 720, Apple TV, WD HDTV, Panasonic 55" Plasma
BASEMENT THEATRE - Paradigm Studio 100 v5, 690 v5, 10x4 v5, Anthem AVM 60, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7125, 2x JTR Captivator S2s, X-Box One, Apple TV, HTPC, Ben-Q W1070, 106" screen
post #11 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:

For HDR:
High Lamp Mode

For SDR:
Low lamp mode

Nice, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. So I assume when the projector detects HDR, it will automatically go to those settings once I input them, then everything else will be SDR? Did you select a specific picture mode like User 1 or cinema? Lastly, for the motion, CMD and Lag one, I have read to leave the lag one on, then everything else off.

I appreciate your help. Thank you.
No problem at all! For HDR I’m using the HDR mode and for regular Blu rays I’m using Cinema and then just adjusted from there.

The projector should automatically switch settings depending on the input signal. I’ve noticed a couple of times it didn’t though so it’s kind of a pain.

As far as motion goes I’m using low Latency on, clear motion drive off and motion enhance to low and it seems to be pretty clean.
post #12 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No problem at all! For HDR I’m using the HDR mode and for regular Blu rays I’m using Cinema and then just adjusted from there.

The projector should automatically switch settings depending on the input signal. I’ve noticed a couple of times it didn’t though so it’s kind of a pain.

As far as motion goes I’m using low Latency on, clear motion drive off and motion enhance to low and it seems to be pretty clean.

Thanks again. I will try those settings out then adjust then if need be.

post #13 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks again. I will try those settings out then adjust then if need be.
No problem at all. Let me know if you end up finding better settings from there. I would love to tweak them a little more. Thanks!
post #14 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No problem at all. Let me know if you end up finding better settings from there. I would love to tweak them a little more. Thanks!
Will do. I will update this thread accordingly. Hopefully other owners can do the same thing.

post #15 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For HDR:
High Lamp Mode

For SDR:
Low lamp mode

If I understand what you're trying to do for "pop", you'd want to adjust brightness for the best black level and then use contrast to boost the luminance of brighter content. Brightness uniformly raises the luminance of all content but its most pronounced affect is on the darkest content. It'll noticeably raise your black floor and less significantly raise the brightness of all other content, effectively decreasing the contrast of the image. Contrast is a major factor in "pop" so that's not generally a desired outcome.

"Brightness" is better thought of as a black level adjustment than a brightness adjustment. The contrast setting on the other hand only affects brighter content and has no effect on black level. These projectors are fairy accurate out of the box so if you adjust contrast for your personal preferences keep in mind that you'll be getting a non-reference image as a result. If you ever have your projector calibrated the first thing they will do is to zero out the contrast.

You shouldn't need to trade contrast for brightness. The brightness and contrast settings are digital adjustments, not mechanical ones so it should be possible to get the best possible black level while still getting as much brightness as you desire for brighter content. The only settings where you have to sacrifice black level to get more brightness above black are high/low lamp and the manual iris setting.

https://poynton.ca/notes/brightness_...ast/index.html

Last edited by mattztt; 05-16-2019 at 02:19 PM.
post #16 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Great idea starting this thread!
Nexgen76 likes this.
post #17 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 233
I noticed when I put in a 4K Blu-ray in my oppo 205 set to auto, I have had some discs not have the hdr brightness slider pop up. Does it depend on the metadata on the disc? Actually the only disc that the slider is available is oblivian.

Lucy, gotg 2, the Martian and Star Wars the last Jedi does not.

What are others seeing?

Thx. Bob
post #18 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
If I understand what you're trying to do for "pop", you'd want to adjust brightness for the best black level and then use contrast to boost the luminance of brighter content. Brightness uniformly raises the luminance of all content but its most pronounced affect is on the darkest content. It'll noticeably raise your black floor and less significantly raise the brightness of all other content, effectively decreasing the contrast of the image. Contrast is a major factor in "pop" so that's not generally a desired outcome.

"Brightness" is better thought of as a black level adjustment than a brightness adjustment. The contrast setting on the other hand only affects brighter content and has no effect on black level. These projectors are fairy accurate out of the box so if you adjust contrast for your personal preferences keep in mind that you'll be getting a non-reference image as a result. If you ever have your projector calibrated the first thing they will do is to zero out the contrast.

You shouldn't need to trade contrast for brightness. The brightness and contrast settings are digital adjustments, not mechanical ones so it should be possible to get the best possible black level while still getting as much brightness as you desire for brighter content. The only settings where you have to sacrifice black level to get more brightness above black are high/low lamp and the manual iris setting.

Good point, typically there should be no need to mess with the picture settings (brightness, contrast, hue, tint). But I have several people set brightness at -3 with the new JVCs, I am guessing to lower the black floor. I personally did not find it made a huge difference.
post #19 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
But I have several people set brightness at -3 with the new JVCs, I am guessing to lower the black floor. I personally did not find it made a huge difference.
I didn't find that it made much difference until I got to -5. After going back and forth a little bit using various "calibration" disks and looking at content, I ended up at -2. But I could easily live with it at 0, which is where I have everything else.
post #20 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

For HDR:
High Lamp Mode

For SDR:
Low lamp mode

Would you recommend a different setting then? I know if it also probably dependent on unit and room, but just to get an idea.

post #21 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Would you recommend a different setting then? I know if it also probably dependent on unit and room, but just to get an idea.
It will depend on the unit and environment but from default settings I'd start by projecting a black image - or at least a mostly black image like a space scene - and adjusting brightness until the black part of the image does not go any darker. For most people that seems to be a brightness level of -2 or -3. Some people find that they lose some shadow detail at minimum black level so they will adjust one level higher (i.e. maximum black is -3 so they use -2). Use SDR content for this as HDR content will often have an elevated black level or the projector will itself may push the black level up when tone mapping.

The iris setting is entirely determined by your environment - how large your screen is and what it's gain is, whether you have any ambient light, and even what color the walls are. It's what determines your maximum possible brightness for a given lamp mode. In a very dark room on an average size screen it's not uncommon for people to close the iris down to -10 or even lower with low lamp for SDR content. With HDR you will typically want the iris fully open and at high lamp if the fan noise doesn't bother you.

The contrast and color settings are very much going to be a matter of personal preference. Out of the box the default settings on the JVCs are going to be fairly close to reference so in that sense the ideal settings are the defaults but you can tweak contrast and color a bit if your personal preference is for something a bit different. On my projector I have brightness set to -3 and contrast at 0.

Last edited by mattztt; 05-16-2019 at 05:33 PM.
post #22 of 24 Old 05-26-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks for starting this thread.

Just setting up my new NX5 and will use some of the settings mentioned above. By and large it seems, unlike other projectors, these JVCs are pretty good out of the box and won't need much settings configuration.

Thanks!

7.1.4: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center, Klipsch R-14M Front Height & Rear Height + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
JVC NX5 True 4K HDR Projector / Denon X6300H AVR
Intel Broadwell-E 6 Core (H2O) / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid (H2O) HTPC
LG UBK80 UHD Blu-ray / XBOX One X
post #23 of 24 Old 05-28-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 37
For SDR, are you guys leaving the Color profile at the default BT.709? I see a few others in there, but don't know what they mean.

Out of the box, the settings are working pretty damn good for me. Really, the only thing I changed was color +4. Everything else is great. HDR switches automatically when detected.

Only other thing I found sightly different for my experience from the posts above, I preferred Clear Motion Drive at Low instead Off. Otherwise I was seeing jerk in fast motion over large landscape.

Thanks!

7.1.4: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center, Klipsch R-14M Front Height & Rear Height + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
JVC NX5 True 4K HDR Projector / Denon X6300H AVR
Intel Broadwell-E 6 Core (H2O) / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid (H2O) HTPC
LG UBK80 UHD Blu-ray / XBOX One X
post #24 of 24 Old 05-28-2019, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 137
My NX5 is coming this week so I’m going to be following this thread closely. I’m also looking to get the 820 soon as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000 (atmos), (2) GoldenEar SuperSat 50’s, (2) GoldenEar Triton 7 (rears), Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), JVC NX5, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Panasonic BP - UB 820, Marantz 8805, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 9 (gen 3) Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite, 4K Apple TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page