Major HT Upgrade Sony 295ES vs JVC NX5 and other components Please help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 04-19-2019, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Major HT Upgrade Sony 295ES vs JVC NX5 and other components Please help

I need some help from all you wonderful people.

My HT is now almost 10 yrs old (yeah, I know). Been watching stuff in the den upstairs for a while now, lately on the Sony A9G OLED 65". Last weekend went down to the basement to watch GOT on the big screen and realized need to upgrade the system, the visual experience was very disappointing compared to the big Sony in the Den. Obvious I guess. was holding off waiting for more 4K content to become available and now that it has, would like to upgrade.

My present system in the HT is as follows (backwards in the chain):

Screen: Carada Brilliant White 128" 2.35:1 - this offers a gain in brightness of 1.4

Speakers: Definitive Mythos STS towers and Mythos 9 center with 2 surrounds at the back (Gem)

Projector: Panasonic AE4000U

AV processor: Integra 40.1

Amp: Anthem PV-5

Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-93

Other sources: Roku Ultra - streaming Netflix and others. We cut the cord from cable a while ago.

My main interests are movies and shows, almost never watch sports. I love a high-contrast, colorful picture. The HT is in the basement and ambient light is usually not an issue even in the daytime.

I am happy with the sound and only want to upgrade the video segment to 4K and possibly IMAX enhanced since one of my major passions is watching nature documentaries e.g. Planet Earth. From what little I have read it seems to be quite impressive and I would like the components to have this capability if possible but experts here may differ in their opinion as to the value of this feature and if is just hype.

My budget is a max of $10K delivered and setup.

My choice of projector is the Sony VPLVW295ES. I realize I will need to upgrade the AV processor too since it is only HD in resolution. Also need to upgrade the BD player for same reason.

My local dealer (I like to support the local brick and mortar shop) agrees the Sony projector is a good choice, but since I have a 2.35 screen (the basement ceiling is low) he recommended the JVC NX5 instead since it has a lens memory and is able to work with many different aspect ratios. However, I am told (browsing here) that the Sony can also work with the 2.35 screen though the zoom will need to be manually set (through the remote).

So his recommended system is:

JVC NX5
Anthem AVM 60 processor
Sony UBPX700 BD player (he said the UBPX1000 is coming soon).

My questions to the experts here are:

Projector - Sony vs JVC: Latter would cost an extra $1000 he says - I am not sure just for the lens memory it is worth it. It is also a heavier unit (though once mounted should not be an issue). The blacks are said to be deeper, the brightness is higher and the bulb lasts longer. Somewhere else (perhaps in the review here) I had read that for movies it is better than the Sony. I actually did demo both units in the store watching the Martian and I am not sure I see much difference in the short time I compared the two. JVC does not have IMAX.

Processor - Anthem AVM 60: No IMAX. Second problem I have with the Anthem is it only has balanced XLR speaker outputs which will not work with my current PVA-5 amp which only takes the good old unbalanced banana plugs. Finally it has 11 channel sound whereas my amp is 5.1 and I only have 5 speakers (woofers are built into the STS towers). However, they claim the ARC is top of the line. Is that worth so much that all the other features can be ignored? If I were to go for other options, I believe these have IMAX capability and have banana outputs for speakers - the Denon X6500 or the Marantz SR7013 (both are receivers) or the Marantz 7705 which is a pre-amp processor. They all feature the Audyssey sound balancing system vs the Anthem's ARC which is said to be superior. I confess I am a newbie at this because I never used it with the present Integra I have! There are also Sony receivers but will need firmware upgrades for IMAX capability.

BD player: This particular Sony unit (X700) does not mention IMAX capability. I am not sure the player needs to have it or not, I am assuming it does.

Lots of questions and I thank you all in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 04-19-2019, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Major HT Upgrade Sony 295ES vs JVC NX5 and other components Please help

I can totally recommend Anthem over Denon etc. ARC is really really good.

Have you considered MRX1120 receiver? It will do 11 channels and has pre out that can feed your amp for LCR and surround

For NX5 and 295 it is a difficult choice. I have a NX7 and it is excellent as long as you don't use the dynamic Iris.

I would personally pick NX5 for better contrast, lens memory (esp switching between scope and ever more popular IMAX format movies), better warranty (advance replacement), brighter and longer lasting lamp.... and most importantly Auto Tone Mapping of HDR content ... This is a must for watching HDR on a projector IMO

Plus if you buy now (before April 30)you get a free lamp worth~500 so your real difference is only 500 dollars

For Blu-ray players the only one that I can recommend is Panasonic 820 or UB9000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Retina likes this.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #3 of 37 Old 04-19-2019, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 500
You would have to move to the Sony 695es to compete with the NX5 and even then, the JVC has an all glass lens that can better the 695es in resolving a good 4K source.
Despite what you saw in the demo, I believe the JVC looks better then the Sony when it comes to the small details.
If you watched The Martian up to where the captain is inside the space ship _ start looking at the fine details in the equipment, look at the vent grill holes in the Captains monitor, I'm betting that the JVC resolves that better with the 4K version of that movie.

Although Sony has never admitted to the contrast degradation problem, apparently they have taken steps to remedy this, with that said, certain reliable sources have reported the problem to still exist and then you have to prove to Sony that it's affecting your unit, that in itself is a royal PITA !

Another option, although a high maintenance one is an HTPC with MadVR for your UHD discs, although a bit involved to set up, once done, it apparently betters the Panasonics ub820 and ub9000 when it comes to HDR and video processing.
An HTPC will also allow you to split the audio and video, so you may still use your out of date receiver, that's what I'm doing now.
You will also need a UHD friendly drive for your HTPC, there is a fairly simple way to deal with that.

Here are some links to mull through and in there it gives steps to set it up with Kodi Player, although you may use what any player you want as long as it can accept external filters, like MadVR, and that's what you want.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...tpc-madvr.html

A link to downgrade the firmware to make it UHD friendly.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/down...afe-way.76551/

Maybe a bit more information then you need right now, but there it is.
tommarra and Retina like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 04-20-2019, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Tom and Jeff.

So IMAX is not that important then? What about Dolby Vision HDR?

I guess it will have to be the JVC. Strangely, my dealer told me it is $1000 more expensive than Sony although on Amazon it is listed at $5495. That is the lowest price I am seeing around. I did manage to find the promo offer for the free lamp, thanks for that info.

I don't know if my dealer carries Panasonic or Pioneer, for now I will get the Sony UBPX700 - he says it is better than the PX800 and cheaper. Will upgrade to the PX1000 when it is released and move this one to the Den. The PX700 does do Dolby Vision although not sure the JVC is compatible, but its own HDR tone-mapping should be superior.

Re processor: Thanks Jeff, but I think the HTPC route would be too complicated for me. I did try it initially when I had first set up the HT 10 yrs ago with a Mac Mini but life is too busy right now for me to be tinkering with all this :-)

I may go the Anthem MRX1120 route although it seems overkill to have a receiver and then only use its pre-out for sound. Would be better to spend that much money on just a processor, but is there anything else in that price range ($2500-$3000) that would do as good a job as the Anthem ARC? Reviewing Audyssey vs ARC, the latter is superior, but I am not sure by how much. Denon's X6500 may work, but lacks Dolby Vision and of course has Audyssey.

The processor choice is what's going to be difficult I can see.
post #5 of 37 Old 04-20-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retina View Post
Thanks Tom and Jeff.

So IMAX is not that important then? What about Dolby Vision HDR?

I guess it will have to be the JVC. Strangely, my dealer told me it is $1000 more expensive than Sony although on Amazon it is listed at $5495. That is the lowest price I am seeing around. I did manage to find the promo offer for the free lamp, thanks for that info.

I don't know if my dealer carries Panasonic or Pioneer, for now I will get the Sony UBPX700 - he says it is better than the PX800 and cheaper. Will upgrade to the PX1000 when it is released and move this one to the Den. The PX700 does do Dolby Vision although not sure the JVC is compatible, but its own HDR tone-mapping should be superior.

Re processor: Thanks Jeff, but I think the HTPC route would be too complicated for me. I did try it initially when I had first set up the HT 10 yrs ago with a Mac Mini but life is too busy right now for me to be tinkering with all this :-)

I may go the Anthem MRX1120 route although it seems overkill to have a receiver and then only use its pre-out for sound. Would be better to spend that much money on just a processor, but is there anything else in that price range ($2500-$3000) that would do as good a job as the Anthem ARC? Reviewing Audyssey vs ARC, the latter is superior, but I am not sure by how much. Denon's X6500 may work, but lacks Dolby Vision and of course has Audyssey.

The processor choice is what's going to be difficult I can see.

Dolby Vision for projector doesn't exist. The closest you can come to that is by using MadVR on a HTPC. So I wouldn't focus on Dolby Vision for a projector based home theatre.

The Amazon price is that from Amazon directly? I know JVC doesn't allow internet sales make sure you are covered with warranty. If you shop around you can find good deals ... Ask Mike Garett at AVscience, or Abt.com ... And see if they will give you a 10 or 15 percent discount.

I would not buy the Sony Blu-ray but go for the Panasonic 820 or UB9000.

Projectors don't have enough light output to do HDR justice. The only way to get good HDR is by doing tone mapping. JVC and Panny have worked together to optimize tone mapping for their products and take full advantage of each other's capabilities. With Sony I don't know how much your HDR will pop.

I personally use HTPC and MadVR so don't have personal experience with the Panny so best ask in Official owners forum to get inputs.

Anthem MRX1120 and AVM 60 are essentially the same thing - except the processor has balanced output. I had a Denon receiver with Audessey XT32 and ARC on my Anthem totally blows it away - they are not even close .

Also if you are upgrading your HT have you considered going for Atmos height speakers and go for 5.2.4? You can use the preout from MRX1120 for the LCR, Surroumds and then use the in built amps for the heights.

Retina likes this.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #6 of 37 Old 04-20-2019, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Even with your screen (you don't say what your projector throw distance would be) and its published gain spec, the Sony 295ES may struggle to throw enough light. The JVC NX5 (RS1000) will be noticeably brighter (with its additional 300 lumens), offer better contrast, and likely throw a somewhat sharper image with its all-glass lens array.

As I stated in another member's "suggestion" thread, I just removed a Sony 385ES from service and installed a JVC RS2000 (NX7) in its place. The 385ES is a fine projector as the 295ES will be. The Sony 295ES and 385ES are pretty similar--the 385ES has a dynamic iris (the 295ES does not) while the 295ES has 18 Gbps inputs (versus the 385's 13.5 Gbps inputs) along with some other goodies. Both projectors have the same 1500 lumens spec.

I have a 1.3 gain screen (see sig) and throw 15' to the screen (the Sony was 14'-4" from the screen and sometimes struggled to throw enough light in low lamp mode). With mostly out of the box settings (low lamp, iris engaged on Auto 1, Cinema mode) the RS2000 throws a much brighter image with much better sharpness and contrast. Note that the brighter, sharper image was more obvious than contrast, but these three aspects of the RS2000 are noticeably better than the 385ES--everyone in my house noticed. All that said, I think the RS1000 (NX5) will perform in a similar fashion when compared to the 295ES.

If you're serious about purchasing either of these projectors, seek some of the dealers from this forum in addition to your local source. You'll likely get more competitive pricing. In the end, it's your money...but why spend an extra $500 (at least) if you don't have to. And if you feel you can't buy elsewhere, see if your local source will come closer to matching the price of someone else.

Best of luck with your upgrade project. Have fun with it and enjoy the results!
Retina likes this.

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000, 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers

Last edited by Todd G.; 04-20-2019 at 07:10 AM.
post #7 of 37 Old 04-20-2019, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Dolby Vision for projector doesn't exist. The closest you can come to that is by using MadVR on a HTPC. So I wouldn't focus on Dolby Vision for a projector based home theatre.

The Amazon price is that from Amazon directly? I know JVC doesn't allow internet sales make sure you are covered with warranty. If you shop around you can find good deals ... Ask Mike Garett at AVscience, or Abt.com ... And see if they will give you a 10 or 15 percent discount.
Thanks Tom. The Amazon price is through Prime but it is sold by Hatchfield, here: https://www.amazon.com/JVC-DLA-NX5-4...r=8-1-fkmrnull

I prefer the local dealer and I am sure I can get a bit of a discount from him but would still pay the full price for the comfort of customer service afterwards. Plus, on JVC's own site they have a warning about fake products being sold.

Quote:
I would not buy the Sony Blu-ray but go for the Panasonic 820 or UB9000.
OK, will see if I can get that one.

Quote:
Projectors don't have enough light output to do HDR justice. The only way to get good HDR is by doing tone mapping. JVC and Panny have worked together to optimize tone mapping for their products and take full advantage of each other's capabilities. With Sony I don't know how much your HDR will pop.

I personally use HTPC and MadVR so don't have personal experience with the Panny so best ask in Official owners forum to get inputs.
I've pretty much decided on the JVC now. It seems like their HDR tone-mapping is very good plus I like the native contrast and the lens memory will certainly be very helpful.

Quote:
Anthem MRX1120 and AVM 60 are essentially the same thing - except the processor has balanced output. I had a Denon receiver with Audessey XT32 and ARC on my Anthem totally blows it away - they are not even close .
OK, that's great info. It would be a pain to convert balanced to unbalanced, so this will really help. Even though I have not used room correction before, I can see how it would be a very useful feature as my HT is in an open basement in our ranch, one side is the wall the other side is the open space extending for another 30 feet or more. There is little or no acoustic shielding.

Quote:
Also if you are upgrading your HT have you considered going for Atmos height speakers and go for 5.2.4? You can use the preout from MRX1120 for the LCR, Surroumds and then use the in built amps for the heights.
I will have to feed the pre-out from the MRX1120 to my PVA-5, would I still be able to do this? Sorry, but not very familiar with all this. I have Definitive Gems as my rear surround speakers, mounted at about 6 feet height.

Thanks so much Tom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
post #8 of 37 Old 04-20-2019, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd G. View Post
Even with your screen (you don't say what your projector throw distance would be) and its published gain spec, the Sony 295ES may struggle to throw enough light. The JVC NX5 (RS1000) will be noticeably brighter (with its additional 300 lumens), offer better contrast, and likely throw a somewhat sharper image with its all-glass lens array.

As I stated in another member's "suggestion" thread, I just removed a Sony 385ES from service and installed a JVC RS2000 (NX7) in its place. The 385ES is a fine projector as the 295ES will be. The Sony 295ES and 385ES are pretty similar--the 385ES has a dynamic iris (the 295ES does not) while the 295ES has 18 Gbps inputs (versus the 385's 13.5 Gbps inputs) along with some other goodies. Both projectors have the same 1500 lumens spec.

I have a 1.3 gain screen (see sig) and throw 15' to the screen (the Sony was 14'-4" from the screen and sometimes struggled to throw enough light in low lamp mode). With mostly out of the box settings (low lamp, iris engaged on Auto 1, Cinema mode) the RS2000 throws a much brighter image with much better sharpness and contrast. Note that the brighter, sharper image was more obvious than contrast, but these three aspects of the RS2000 are noticeably better than the 385ES--everyone in my house noticed. All that said, I think the RS1000 (NX5) will perform in a similar fashion when compared to the 295ES.

If you're serious about purchasing either of these projectors, seek some of the dealers from this forum in addition to your local source. You'll likely get more competitive pricing. In the end, it's your money...but why spend an extra $500 (at least) if you don't have to. And if you feel you can't buy elsewhere, see if your local source will come closer to matching the price of someone else.

Best of luck with your upgrade project. Have fun with it and enjoy the results!
Thanks Todd. I sit about 13ft from the screen and the projector is 14 ft from it. The HT can become completely dark as it is in the basement so that helps, but I agree, a brighter and sharper picture is very important. See below, settled for the JVC. Could not afford the NX7 at this time, so the NX5 will have to do.

I went back to the dealer this morning and reviewed the two projectors again. This time it was definitely noticeable that the JVC had more contrast and deeper blacks, plus was brighter too.

I finalized the system today. JVC NX5, Anthem AVM60 and the Sony X-700 BD player, he does not carry the Panasonic BD and I figure the next model (X1100ES) will be out in a few weeks, will upgrade then. He gave me a couple of hundred off the JVC, $500 off the Anthem and the Sony for close to Amazon price.

I decided on the Anthem because I can feed my current PVA-5 with RCA output from the processor and in the future add another amp for more channels, it appears that the AVM60 with separate amps is a better option than the MRX1120 running both the processing and the amplification.

Have brought home the big JVC and the BD player, need to mount it up - that's another task since the HDMI cabling is all 1.1, will have to run it through the walls and ceiling again :-( . BUT, it is all for a good cause!

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions, as always you've all been very helpful.
post #9 of 37 Old 04-20-2019, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Thanks Todd. I sit about 13ft from the screen and the projector is 14 ft from it. The HT can become completely dark as it is in the basement so that helps, but I agree, a brighter and sharper picture is very important. See below, settled for the JVC. Could not afford the NX7 at this time, so the NX5 will have to do.

I went back to the dealer this morning and reviewed the two projectors again. This time it was definitely noticeable that the JVC had more contrast and deeper blacks, plus was brighter too.

I finalized the system today. JVC NX5, Anthem AVM60 and the Sony X-700 BD player, he does not carry the Panasonic BD and I figure the next model (X1100ES) will be out in a few weeks, will upgrade then. He gave me a couple of hundred off the JVC, $500 off the Anthem and the Sony for close to Amazon price.

I decided on the Anthem because I can feed my current PVA-5 with RCA output from the processor and in the future add another amp for more channels, it appears that the AVM60 with separate amps is a better option than the MRX1120 running both the processing and the amplification.

Have brought home the big JVC and the BD player, need to mount it up - that's another task since the HDMI cabling is all 1.1, will have to run it through the walls and ceiling again :-( . BUT, it is all for a good cause!

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions, as always you've all been very helpful.
You need to shop around, couple of hundred off is not a great deal btw. Several reputable dealers on these forums.
post #10 of 37 Old 04-20-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks Tom. The Amazon price is through Prime but it is sold by Hatchfield, here: https://www.amazon.com/JVC-DLA-NX5-4...r=8-1-fkmrnull

I prefer the local dealer and I am sure I can get a bit of a discount from him but would still pay the full price for the comfort of customer service afterwards. Plus, on JVC's own site they have a warning about fake products being sold.

OK, will see if I can get that one.

I've pretty much decided on the JVC now. It seems like their HDR tone-mapping is very good plus I like the native contrast and the lens memory will certainly be very helpful.

OK, that's great info. It would be a pain to convert balanced to unbalanced, so this will really help. Even though I have not used room correction before, I can see how it would be a very useful feature as my HT is in an open basement in our ranch, one side is the wall the other side is the open space extending for another 30 feet or more. There is little or no acoustic shielding.

I will have to feed the pre-out from the MRX1120 to my PVA-5, would I still be able to do this? Sorry, but not very familiar with all this. I have Definitive Gems as my rear surround speakers, mounted at about 6 feet height.

Thanks so much Tom.

[/QUOTE]

Yes the good thing about Anthem is that they have pre-out for every channel.

Btw Anthem amps are really really good - both in terms on Fidelity and power - continuous 140W for each of the LCR amd Surrounds and 60W into the remaining backs and heights.
I don't know about your other amps or setup but for my HT that is more than enough power and I don't go over -20 at anytime.

post #11 of 37 Old 04-20-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:

You're welcome. It sounds like you are on your way to completing the system.

How are you installing the projector--shelf or ceiling?

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000, 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers
post #12 of 37 Old 04-20-2019, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
You need to shop around, couple of hundred off is not a great deal btw. Several reputable dealers on these forums.

I agree, there probably are. My aim is to support the local guy I've been going to for over 10 yrs. I could search online and have it shipped for a price that would be lower - or ask the dealers on this forum, but a few more hundred dollars of savings is not what I am looking for. Yes, if my dealer was charging me a lot more than most others (Best Buy, Amazon) then it would be a different matter.

I guess we all have a different comfort level for these things.
post #13 of 37 Old 04-20-2019, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes the good thing about Anthem is that they have pre-out for every channel.

Btw Anthem amps are really really good - both in terms on Fidelity and power - continuous 140W for each of the LCR amd Surrounds and 60W into the remaining backs and heights.
I don't know about your other amps or setup but for my HT that is more than enough power and I don't go over -20 at anytime.
Tom, I do have a PVA-5 and may just add another amp later to drive the fronts, the AVM-60 should give me that flexibility.

Todd, the projector goes on the ceiling, replacing the old Panny. I have a Chief mount so that should not be a problem except for running the cables through the walls again, bought a Ruipro fiber HDMI from Amazon for this.
post #14 of 37 Old 04-20-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Todd, the projector goes on the ceiling, replacing the old Panny. I have a Chief mount.
If you have the RPAU mount already, you may have to get the plate (SLB281) that bolts to the mount. If you need the whole assembly (mount and plate), the RPA281 includes the mount and plate that connects to the projector.
Retina likes this.

post #15 of 37 Old 04-21-2019, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd G. View Post
If you have the RPAU mount already, you may have to get the plate (SLB281) that bolts to the mount. If you need the whole assembly (mount and plate), the RPA281 includes the mount and plate that connects to the projector.

Thanks Todd, will check it out. My dealer has most of these mounts in stock.
Todd G. likes this.
post #16 of 37 Old 05-01-2019, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked: 6210
Quote:

That system all in, what do you think?
post #17 of 37 Old 05-02-2019, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
That system all in, what do you think?
Just waiting for my handyman to come in to help strengthen the ceiling mount before I install it. My dealer gave me the Chief custom mounting plate for free. I have the older Chief universal mount which will work with this.

The picture as expected is phenomenal. Got a few UHD blu-ray titles to try it out. What is amazing is how good the streaming stuff from Netflix and other services looks (using a Roku Ultra for this). I have a Sony 65" OLED TV up in the Den and the JVC is almost as good in contrast and brightness, a huge difference from my older Panasonic AE4000U. Watched the GOT episode this week, many people said it was 'too dark'. I found it perfectly watchable in my HT with the JVC. The Anthem is also better than my older Integra in terms of options and audio quality.

My only criticism of the JVC is the terrible remote - you keep pressing the wrong buttons as there is no tactile feedback anywhere, the interface is not intuitive. Furthermore, the manual is terribly short of information. I had to watch the online videos on YT to figure out that I can adjust the JVC to my Carada Brilliant white (1.4 gain) screen. Have not yet calibrated the image, happy with it as as present.

Also realized that the minimum throw distance is longer for my HT. I have a 128" 2.35:1 screen and the mount is just a few inches short from the screen. The JVC needs 168 inches and I am at 165, but it is adequate, don't mind the slight gap.

Overall, very pleased. Still deciding if the Panasonic BD UBP9000 will add more quality instead of the Sony (said to be custom matched with the JVC for tone-mapping) - it is quite pricey.
Dirk504 likes this.
post #18 of 37 Old 05-02-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Overall, very pleased. Still deciding if the Panasonic BD UBP9000 will add more quality instead of the Sony (said to be custom matched with the JVC for tone-mapping) - it is quite pricey.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the projector thus far. I've been throwing all kinds of material at my RS2000 (NX7) and it just looks great (calibrated last week).

If the UB9000 is beyond your budget, the Panasonic UB820 would be the logical alternative at half the price. IIRC, the Panasonic players were co-developed with the new JVC 4K projectors.
Retina likes this.

post #19 of 37 Old 05-02-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just waiting for my handyman to come in to help strengthen the ceiling mount before I install it. My dealer gave me the Chief custom mounting plate for free. I have the older Chief universal mount which will work with this.

The picture as expected is phenomenal. Got a few UHD blu-ray titles to try it out. What is amazing is how good the streaming stuff from Netflix and other services looks (using a Roku Ultra for this). I have a Sony 65" OLED TV up in the Den and the JVC is almost as good in contrast and brightness, a huge difference from my older Panasonic AE4000U. Watched the GOT episode this week, many people said it was 'too dark'. I found it perfectly watchable in my HT with the JVC. The Anthem is also better than my older Integra in terms of options and audio quality.

My only criticism of the JVC is the terrible remote - you keep pressing the wrong buttons as there is no tactile feedback anywhere, the interface is not intuitive. Furthermore, the manual is terribly short of information. I had to watch the online videos on YT to figure out that I can adjust the JVC to my Carada Brilliant white (1.4 gain) screen. Have not yet calibrated the image, happy with it as as present.

Also realized that the minimum throw distance is longer for my HT. I have a 128" 2.35:1 screen and the mount is just a few inches short from the screen. The JVC needs 168 inches and I am at 165, but it is adequate, don't mind the slight gap.

My first experience with a JVC remote _ I find myself having to use the back light button a lot so I can see what I'm doing.
The on-line manual is pretty complete, I don't know why JVC even bothered with the incomplete paper one ???

AFAIK, the difference between the UB9000 and the UB820 when it comes to the auto tone mapping is that the UB9000 has 2 nit values, 350 and 500.
The UB820 has only the 500nit value, so it can cause high-light blow out on bright's.
Keep in mind that one or two here reported that the 500nit setting provides more "pop" so the two settings could be subjective.

MadVR is the way to go once you get through the learning curve, but it's only good for actual media and that media has to be decrypted.
Madshi is working on a plug and play box "Envy", so there is that in the works as well.
Retina likes this.
post #20 of 37 Old 05-03-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Madshi is working on a plug and play box "Envy", so there is that in the works as well.
Can't wait for Envy to come out. If it can do the magic my HTPC does for blu-ray HDR rips, for every content, incl. Netflix, Amazon, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Provided it doesnt cost more than my projector!

post #21 of 37 Old 05-03-2019, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Jeff and others, your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

I do have another query. I am trying to mount the JVC using a custom plate from Chief which fits the projector perfectly. It will then attach to the RPAu which then connects to the rod mounted to the ceiling. Problem is, my dealer gave me this custom plate for free from a set he had, but he did not have the bolts for it.

The bolts I need to attach the JVC to the plate are the ones that go into the four holes where the leveling screws are (which of course come out once it is ceiling mounted).

I am taking one of these leveling screws with me to Home Depot today and will try to measure out and get the same size bolts, but was wondering if anybody had any input on the size and length that is required. They will need to fit exactly without any play or lag.

Thanks again.
post #22 of 37 Old 05-03-2019, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
The bolts i need to attach the jvc to the plate are the ones that go into the four holes where the leveling screws are (which of course come out once it is ceiling mounted).

I am taking one of these leveling screws with me to home depot today and will try to measure out and get the same size bolts, but was wondering if anybody had any input on the size and length that is required. They will need to fit exactly without any play or lag.
M5 25mm
post #23 of 37 Old 05-03-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
M5 25mm
Great. Thanks Matt.
post #24 of 37 Old 05-03-2019, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Follow-up Question Please

I asked this in another Thread...maybe I can get it answered here. I am moving up from my Epson 5040UB.....Looking at the Sony 295ES and the JVC NX5. The JVC is 1k more than the Sony....my question, is the JVC worth 1k more over the Sony?

Thoughts Please? I have attached a pic of the room it will be going into. it is a small theater room with 6 seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Movie Room.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	784.5 KB
ID:	2562116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar 6.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2562118  
post #25 of 37 Old 05-04-2019, 12:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnupe View Post
I asked this in another Thread...maybe I can get it answered here. I am moving up from my Epson 5040UB.....Looking at the Sony 295ES and the JVC NX5. The JVC is 1k more than the Sony....my question, is the JVC worth 1k more over the Sony?

Thoughts Please? I have attached a pic of the room it will be going into. it is a small theater room with 6 seats.
Yes...Very much so.

Read this thread, the NX7/RS2000 has the same lens as the NX5.
You would have to move to the 696es to get comparable performance.
Your room looks dedicated, so the better contrast of the JVC will make use of that.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...o-springs.html
hnupe likes this.

Last edited by JeffR1; 05-04-2019 at 12:45 AM.
post #26 of 37 Old 05-04-2019, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 11442 Post(s)
Liked: 9043
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Yes...Very much so.

Read this thread, the NX7/RS2000 has the same lens as the NX5.
You would have to move to the 696es to get comparable performance.
Your room looks dedicated, so the better contrast of the JVC will make use of that.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...o-springs.html
I agree. Also the HDR tone mapping of the JVC is much better, you gain 300 lumens and lens memory.
post #27 of 37 Old 05-04-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:

It’s not even a contest between the two. NX5 hands down.

JeffR1 likes this.

post #28 of 37 Old 05-04-2019, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

I’m in the market too and I’m leaning towards the NX5. Does your name HNUPE mean anything in particular?
hnupe likes this.

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000 (atmos), (2) GoldenEar SuperSat 50’s, (2) GoldenEar Triton 7 (rears), Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Marantz 8805, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 9 (gen 3) Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite, 4K Apple TV
post #29 of 37 Old 05-07-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 9
The NX5 is $6k MSRP what prices are people actually paying? I am also currently using an AE4000 I had hoped by now we'd have 4k with lens memory for half to 2/3's that price.
post #30 of 37 Old 05-07-2019, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 11442 Post(s)
Liked: 9043
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stcode2nd2 View Post
The NX5 is $6k MSRP what prices are people actually paying? I am also currently using an AE4000 I had hoped by now we'd have 4k with lens memory for half to 2/3's that price.
You can get in trouble for posting street prices, so I doubt anyone answers you on what they actually paid. Also you can get lens memory for half of MSRP of an RS1000 (NX5). Buy an Epson 5050. The 5050 has lens memory and MSRP is $2,999.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page