HT3000E Fan Failure - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-02-2019, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HT3000E Fan Failure

I have a Sim2 HT3000E, which was new to me in 2007. The projector performance is great, however heat shutdown was a problem early on. The dealer and (I was told) factory were also involved in resolving the problem. The projector has worked fine since that time with only two bulb changes in the interim.

A couple of months ago I noticed the fan was getting noisey, and the noise very evident before the audio speakers come on. Recently I starting getting an occasional OSD message: "Fan Failure". Then the kicker. In the middle of the big GOT episode, with family and friends watching on the big screen, the "Fan Failure" message appears followed by a overheat shutdown. How embarrassing. Move to the room with a regular TV.

Next day I pulled the projector onto the work bench and removed the case to discover, (surprise): 5 fans. One of them was obviously the noise culprit, so I removed it and using manufacture markings sourced a replacement. The replacement was installed (more about that later) and the noise was now gone. It runs very quiet, just like it did when new.

Unfortunately, the "Fan Failure" message still comes up. I made a video to be sure this observation is correct: The message appears every 3 minutes 30 seconds and stays on screen 10 seconds. This happens regardless of the temperature. With an ambient temp of 72 dF and the exhaust air temp of 108 dF the message appears. The message frequency and duration remain unchanged as the bulb heats up and the exhaust temp reaches 130 dF.

Now back to the fan that was removed. This fan is clearly not the original. the replacement I bought comes with a nice three wire connector. The one I removed had its leads spliced into the projector harness.

The final bit of background before the questions: when powering off the blue and red LEDs do blink in unison until the cool down period is complete.

So appreciate any input to these or other questions raised:

1. Where can I find a spec on all of the fans to make sure the one that was replaced is correct.
2. Is there a fault reading mechanism so that I could determine which fan is sending the message?
3. Are the air temps I reported out of line for this projector?

Thanks again for your help and hopefully for answers anyone else that has a similar problem might find beneficial.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-23-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Test post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0476.jpg