Crazy Notion...Concerns ALL projectors!!!! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #1 of 60 Old 05-03-2019, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 2061
Crazy Notion...Concerns ALL projectors!!!!

As of late Browsing / Reading the many, many, many, differing opinions on what constitutes a "Good" projector can be frustrating and tiring ....

How about being very " Daring" and taking some time to sit down in your own environment with "Whatever" projector you have and just ENJOY a good movie!!

I know , iknow .....its a CRAZY notion.....but ya never know......you just might like it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2018 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
I liked the humor to your post as true as it is. It is just not projectors it is also screen and sound systems we scrutinize endlessly. I have been a member here for a long time as I see you have also, so I’m sure you experience what I once did and that is analyzing the presentation to the point of missing the movie. About 10 years ago I left the forum for that same reason for 6 years. I found my guests were enjoying my movies more than I was. The constant study of black bars and visually comparing CR watching a small light reflection in the room and wondering its impact on PQ.

The way to enjoy a theater is to get a bunch of kids in there and play a movie they are interested in. Don’t watch the movie watch the kids. That’s the simple pleasure of drifting deep into the movie without a care how it is getting up there. That became my goal.

The surprising part is when that happens good, great or fantastic PQ and AQ don’t make that big of a difference. I started being a late adopter of technology as hindsight is 20/20 and I don’t worry about the latest thing as I know I don’t have it or wont need it until everyone else has moved past it. I also would note I have saved countless amounts of time and money enjoying movies more and worrying about equipment less.

I now am back to reading again but not with the fever of thinking what’s next all the time. When the lights go down and the movie rolls the last thing I want to think about is the presentation.
dan webster, mhutchins and Todd G. like this.

Bud
post #3 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Everything both of you said is so true. I admit i am guilty of waiting for the next new thing. Funny thing is that most of the inexpensive projectors receivers and speakers available today are leaps and bounds better than much more expensive components of a decade ago. I often have guests in my theater and i dont think many of them notice any difference when i upgrade a piece of equipment. This really is a great time to be participating in this hobby. There is such a big selection of great equipment at very nice affordable prices. I have installed many complete theater systems for family and friends . Its not difficult to do a full projector system with good surround sound and all other components and accessories for less than a 50 inch plasma cost 10 years ago. Lets all enjoy our great systems.
Todd G. likes this.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Yamaha CX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 panasonic ub820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS520 projector
silver ticket 125 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Emotiva T1 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub SVS PC13 ultra sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 761
These days watching movies is becoming a skill.

I don't know many people who can resist checking a phone for 2 hours.

If I can see something wrong with my system then I'm all for looking into improving the experience. And, if I get to the point where I have to learn to watch better or pay more attention I'll work on that also.
post #5 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
How about being very " Daring" and taking some time to sit down in your own environment with "Whatever" projector you have and just ENJOY a good movie!!

I know , iknow .....its a CRAZY notion.....but ya never know......you just might like it!!!
Easy for you to say. I have neither of these things yet

---------------

My build thread
post #6 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
"Whatever" projector you have and just ENJOY a good movie!!
I saw the Avenger's End Game at a local independant theater. There were dead pixels in the middle of the screen, the left hand border was flush at the bottom and maybe 8-10 inches at the top, black floor and contrast were horrible and I have a DLP projector. I pointed this all out to the family and they all told me to keep it to myself, eat my popcorn, and enjoy the movie. After the movie got going I forgot about the "issues". Now to learn to do that at home...
woofer, bud16415, Todd G. and 2 others like this.
post #7 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
As of late Browsing / Reading the many, many, many, differing opinions on what constitutes a "Good" projector can be frustrating and tiring ....

Come on now, the forum wouldn't feel like home with out the bickering and what grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
These days watching movies is becoming a skill.

I don't know many people who can resist checking a phone for 2 hours.

If I can see something wrong with my system then I'm all for looking into improving the experience. And, if I get to the point where I have to learn to watch better or pay more attention I'll work on that also.
I don't have a cell phone !
K9woofer likes this.
post #8 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
Everything both of you said is so true. I admit i am guilty of waiting for the next new thing. Funny thing is that most of the inexpensive projectors receivers and speakers available today are leaps and bounds better than much more expensive components of a decade ago. I often have guests in my theater and i dont think many of them notice any difference when i upgrade a piece of equipment. This really is a great time to be participating in this hobby. There is such a big selection of great equipment at very nice affordable prices. I have installed many complete theater systems for family and friends . Its not difficult to do a full projector system with good surround sound and all other components and accessories for less than a 50 inch plasma cost 10 years ago. Lets all enjoy our great systems.
I mostly participate in the <3000 forum as that is the equipment I mostly have had. What you say is very true the time is now or has been now for people to realize their HT dreams at an everyman’s budget. What I find in that forum is many first time projector buyers attracted by the price and fueled by the dream of something spectacular at home. Marketing is leading them to believe it can happen in a bright white room with a wall of south facing windows. 4k is luring them in when what they really should be thinking about is dark colors and BOC window treatments. They believe there are magic ALR screens that will take care of the rest.

Prices have come down and quality has gone up. But the basics of FP haven’t changed much. That’s the part of the hobby I love to help people understand. A dad can set something up in the basement these days for a couple grand and really have something his kids will never forget, and something his buddies will want to come over and watch sports on.

We have had numerous friends and families come over to watch something and these same people have state of the art 55-75” TV at home. They are always impressed with the theater experience of sight and sound, and often say that they are going home and do the same thing. I always offer my help with getting them going and so far after hearing this dozens of times only one person has actually done it. There is some fear of the unknown in this hobby and getting started is a big hurdle. I never saw it that way 16 years ago on a whim I dropped 800 bucks on a DLP XGA projector Sharp XR10X with no idea what I was doing. Set it on a box in the basement and tacked a bed sheet up for a screen. we used an old stereo receiver and two old speakers and were off and running watching tapes and DVD and cable TV sitting in lawn chairs on a 120” screen. Things kept evolving and changing but I can honestly say we never had anymore fun than with that first setup. That’s the feeling I like to see people have today still.
dan webster and JeffR1 like this.

Bud
post #9 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post

In that case you are welcome to come watch movies anytime.
woofer, ManMower, JeffR1 and 1 others like this.

Bud
post #10 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6613 Post(s)
Liked: 7688
Quote:

I watch 3 - 5 movies a week right now. I'm watching as many as I can. With an RS4500 and a Denon X8500H and a 9.4.4 Martin Logan ( SVS subs ) Atmos system, there's nowhere left to upgrade right now. Just buying more movies. " Black Hawk Down " in 4K - hurry up and ship !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3416_DxO.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	864.6 KB
ID:	2562690  
woofer and SteveFred like this.
post #11 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You have just restored my faith in Humanity ! .
Jive Turkey and JeffR1 like this.
post #12 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
sound systems we scrutinize endlessly.
OHHH!! Most definitely !!! I have been an "Audiophile" ( i hate the term) for MANY MANY years....have exhausted VAST sums of money chasing the elusive "perfect/correct" sound.....then one day i finally realised its a goal i could never achieve as there are just to many variables with component combinations and media.

Forever analysing the equipment was my priority, to some degree i forgot about listening to the actual music..

Now days ....i just enjoy the music...
post #13 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil393 View Post
I saw the Avenger's End Game at a local independant theater. There were dead pixels in the middle of the screen, the left hand border was flush at the bottom and maybe 8-10 inches at the top, black floor and contrast were horrible and I have a DLP projector. I pointed this all out to the family and they all told me to keep it to myself, eat my popcorn, and enjoy the movie. After the movie got going I forgot about the "issues". Now to learn to do that at home...
Years ago I remember my goal was to produce as good a presentation at home as our best theater in town. That took a little doing at first, but it didn’t take too long and my home theater got better and met the commercial theaters on the way down. Something happened when projectionists went away and a minimum wage kid was put in charge of pushing a button at the correct time.

I get literally forced to go to a commercial movie once or twice a year and it is not the movie cost or the popcorn and drink price or the less than stellar movie presentation that really make me want to stay home and wait a week or two to see the movie. It is the people. Last few times I went it was cell phones getting checked every few minutes and texts returned or ringing and people having conversations or making calls during the movie. If it wouldn’t have been for the death grip on my forearm and the don’t do it look she gave me last time I was about to go full on Rambo on some kid the last time we went to the theater. My older sister has been begging us to go to some simulcasts of the opera at our Tinsel Town and as much as that sounds like torture it might be worth it just to watch something where I doubt the cell folks would show up.

Of the million things I like about HT the one I like the best is the pause button.
Jive Turkey and K9woofer like this.

Bud
post #14 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
You have just restored my faith in Humanity ! .
I had one when I was working so my boss could get me while I was out delivering furniture, but I don't do that anymore.
Even then, I only used it for work, I shut it off at the end of the day.

Now I'm not really working any more so it sat in the cupboard and literately collected dust, so I cancelled the contract and that was that.

I just don't have the need for it while I'm out on the trail, biking, swimming or working out.
I even disconnect the land line when I don't want to be interrupted ! Sleeping and watching movies are way more important !

I see people with their noses buried in their phones while out in the woods when they should be enjoying the trees and the sound of the river; but what ever...
K9woofer likes this.
post #15 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OHHH!! Most definitely !!! I have been an "Audiophile" ( i hate the term) for MANY MANY years....have exhausted VAST sums of money chasing the elusive "perfect/correct" sound.....then one day i finally realised its a goal i could never achieve as there are just to many variables with component combinations and media.

Forever analysing the equipment was my priority, to some degree i forgot about listening to the actual music..

Now days ....i just enjoy the music...
It’s nice to have some high quality sound and fill the room, but I have always enjoyed live music best of all types and when I would think about it live music is filled with distractions and often played over equipment made for volume over quality. We learn to filter out a lot.

Both audio and video I now enjoy it as I get it. If I have a great BD that’s wonderful but if I’m streaming it I just enjoy it as good as it is.

I see @Craig Peer posted his UHD BD collection. I have slowed down on collecting I look at the 3000 DVDs I have and still watch and have been trying to figure out if I want to upgrade any of them to BD let alone UHD BD. I just zoom them about .8 immersive as I would view a BD and say good enough for the once a year I might play it. Kind of like moving from the front 1/3 of the theater to the back 1/3. It is still great.

Bud
post #16 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had one when I was working so my boss could get me while I was out delivering furniture, but I don't do that anymore.
Even then, I only used it for work, I shut it off at the end of the day.

Now I'm not really working any more so it sat in the cupboard and literately collected dust, so I cancelled the contract and that was that.

I just don't have the need for it while I'm out on the trail, biking, swimming or working out.
I even disconnect the land line when I don't want to be interrupted ! Sleeping and watching movies are way more important !

I see people with their noses buried in their phones while out in the woods when they should be enjoying the trees and the sound of the river; but what ever...
As a kid all we had were landlines and only one rotary phone in the house connected to the wall in the kitchen it was a party line with a couple neighbors. The phone would ring and my dad sitting next to it and my mother would tell him to answer it. He would say I had the phone put in for my benefit not whoever is calling us benefit.
JeffR1 likes this.

Bud
post #17 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yep!!! 100% agree..... People have become so dependant/obsessed with mobile phones they have forgotten what "Life" is about!!

Short story......

I live in a remote area, so mobile phone coverage is problematic .

I was sitting at the local town Bakery having lunch one weekend and some "Tourist,s " pulled up in their car.....the diver got out and was looking rather distressed and flustered ...
I noticed his distressed state and was about to ask if he needed any help.
At that moment i noticed he had a mobile phone in his hand and heard him comment to his wife,

"There is no coverage.....we will have to turn around and go back!! "

WTF!!!! i thought to myself....... they all got back in the car a precoded to go BACK the way they came!!!! just because there was NO MOBILE COVERAGE!!

My God!!!! we used to drive without ANY form of phone coverage.... whether it be local OR into the outback!!!!

OH how times have changed..
JeffR1 likes this.
post #18 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
WTF!!!! i thought to myself....... they all got back in the car a precoded to go BACK the way they came!!!! just because there was NO MOBILE COVERAGE!!

My God!!!! we used to drive without ANY form of phone coverage.... whether it be local OR into the outback!!!!

OH how times have changed..
He could have been 'on-call', I am usually on-call and have to keep in cell range generally speaking.
Believe me, I'd like to get rid of the cell phone (especially turn it off at night), but I have no choice.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #19 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
It’s nice to have some high quality sound and fill the room, but I have always enjoyed live music best of all types and when I would think about it live music is filled with distractions and often played over equipment made for volume over quality. We learn to filter out a lot.

Both audio and video I now enjoy it as I get it. If I have a great BD that’s wonderful but if I’m streaming it I just enjoy it as good as it is.

I see @Craig Peer posted his UHD BD collection. I have slowed down on collecting I look at the 3000 DVDs I have and still watch and have been trying to figure out if I want to upgrade any of them to BD let alone UHD BD. I just zoom them about .8 immersive as I would view a BD and say good enough for the once a year I might play it. Kind of like moving from the front 1/3 of the theater to the back 1/3. It is still great.
I upgraded all my favorite movies from DVD - HD DVD - Blu-ray ( via " Red to Blue " trade in ), and now slowly am picking up new 4K Blu-rays and new 4K remastered catalog titles. 4K discs have better audio and picture. For me it's definitely worth the trouble and cost. But I don't have 3000 discs. More like 625. I only collect movies I really like or absolutely love. Upgrading 3000 DVD's would be pretty expensive. If they are all even on Blu - ray / 4K.

Last edited by Craig Peer; 05-05-2019 at 05:12 PM.
post #20 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I upgraded all my favorite movies from DVD - HD DVD - Blu-ray ( via " Red to Blue " trade in ), and now slowly am picking up new 4K Blu-rays and new 4K remastered catalog titles. 4K discs have better audio and picture. For me it's definitely worth the trouble and cost. But I don't have 3000 discs. More like 625. I only collect movies I really like or absolutely love. Upgrading 3000 DVD's would be pretty expensive. If they are all even on Blu - ray / 4K.
The 3000 95% of them came from a friend that owned a rental place. For quite a few years new releases within a couple weeks lost demand. He would sell them to me ten for ten. So they were all pretty well known movies and what we would normally watch and the deal was too good to pass up. It’s nice when someone came over and would ask if I had something and I would check my computer and say yep.

The new generation doesn’t even own a player anymore. They just stream this and that. I still like owning it and the quality is the best you are right.

Bud
post #21 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:

that's heresy! We do not enjoy the projector we constantly worry about getting the slightest detail right.

Jokes aside couldn't agree more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #22 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 07:27 PM

They should make more Sci Fi movies, seems like not many good ones lately.
I tend to avoid horror based Sci Fi, but maybe I'll have to stretch my viewing.

I watch all different genres, but there seems to just be a lack of Sci Fi lately at Redbox

post #23 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
They should make more Sci Fi movies, seems like not many good ones lately.
I tend to avoid horror based Sci Fi, but maybe I'll have to stretch my viewing.

I watch all different genres, but there seems to just be a lack of Sci Fi lately at Redbox
More Sci-Fi is always good!
post #24 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 07:45 PM

I literally run out of stuff to watch, that's usually when I come back to the forums.
Sometimes I take breaks from this place for 6-12 months, because it is so argumentative.

post #25 of 60 Old 05-05-2019, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sometimes I take breaks from this place for 6-12 months, because it is so argumentative.
Yeah!! I think to many times people 'forget" this is all supposed to be "FUN" and "ENJOYABLE" .. Life,s far to short!!!
Archibald1 likes this.
post #26 of 60 Old 05-06-2019, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3057 Post(s)
Liked: 2006
I did a Home Theatre to enjoy a movie every night get away from the rat race that consumes our everyday life Thats my relaxation time. Tonight time to visit a classic on 4K UHD Rambo First Blood.
woofer and Archibald1 like this.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #27 of 60 Old 05-06-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
We're in an era where "continuous improvement" is the manta of business, and that's not a bad strategy for our personal lives either. However, it might be good to add "within reason" to that. It's unreasonable to live in a state of continuous unhappiness from not being able to enjoy what we already have due to obsessive lusting after something better. While I appreciate that there are always better things available that I can aspire to I never lose sight of taking time to thoroughly enjoy what I already have.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #28 of 60 Old 05-06-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

In all sincerity, there are participants here (and in all hobbyist forums) who lose perspective. THIS is where we come to become informed. Most of the sharing and learning is about nuance. Some is about that "shiny new object". And so forth.

Identifying reliable sources and keeping all of the discussion in perspective is essential.

The most informed hobbyists are satisfied with their achievements, but remain open to new ideas and will periodically entertain upgrades. We should all be learning from others and sharing what we've learned with others.
Mike Garrett and Archibald1 like this.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
post #29 of 60 Old 05-06-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Lots of people still enjoying many a crt projector....

Lots of people also not getting anything remotely close in performance out of their projector, that it is capable of.
And that often isn't very far away, upgrade dollar-wise...

You see this with speaker churn too, where maybe some acoustical treatments would yield far better results.

I personally don't mind the churn... It sure saves me a lot of money. I enjoy some insanely crazy deals and even some DIY projects, that bargains inspire.
Instead of being at work, a nice productive day outside, in my one car garage shop, is a good day.

There's also been more then a few recent instances where all I can think is I am glad I didn't take the depreciation hit, and kind of feel outright guilty buying something.
I also can't fathom how something that was $6400 can sit six days on the Internet, and buyer be really happy to get $300 back, to have it gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MA Credenza rack.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	2563082  
post #30 of 60 Old 05-06-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I literally run out of stuff to watch, that's usually when I come back to the forums.
I never run out of stuff to watch. Tonight " Mission Impossible Mondays " start in my theater, with MI1 on 4K Blu-ray. Going to watch each one in order on 4K every Monday. Got friends coming to watch Prometheus on 4K Wed. And End Of Watch on Blu-ray Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page