AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Epson Officially Unveils Pro Cinema 6050UB Pro-UHD Projector, (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3066304-epson-officially-unveils-pro-cinema-6050ub-pro-uhd-projector.html)

imagic 05-07-2019 04:09 AM

Epson Officially Unveils Pro Cinema 6050UB Pro-UHD Projector,
 
Today, Epson has officially announced the Pro Cinema 6050UB 4K PRO-UHD Projector ($3999). This model is aimed squarely at the custom integrator channel and comes supplied with a spare bulb, a ceiling mount kit, and a longer (three year) warranty than what's offered with the consumer model, the 5050UB.

While not a native 4K projector, this model accepts 4K content, including HDR and 4K/60. It uses Epson's 1080p LCD imagers and pixel-shift technology to both increase apparent resolution on screen, and to make the pixel grid invisible. This projector largely shares the feature set of the Pro-UHD 5050UB, including advanced HDR processing and a highly flexible motorized lenses that can precisely zoom and position and focus the image on screen.

This projector is able to reproduce the P3 color gamut (used in commercial cinema) in its entirety when deploying its cinema filter—with some loss of peak brightness. With more lumens are needed, it can produce highly saturated color with full light output. Furthermore, Epson says that it’s UltraBlack Contrast tech allows for a dynamic contrast ratio of 1,200,000:1 (in a lab or ideal room, typical real-life contrast numbers are lower).

Full-bandwidth HDMI 2.0 (18GHz) allows for 4K/60 playback, which is great for streaming 4K and gaming. The Home Cinema 5050UBe comes equipped with a Epson WirelessHD transmitter with 4K/30 support and four inputs.

jaychatbonneau 05-08-2019 02:30 PM

If nothing else gets announced at that event, i will be very disappointed. Where is the Epson's first native 4K projector for the home theater market. I would pay $$$$$ for a successor to the ls10500.

Friendly Fire 05-08-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaychatbonneau (Post 58019006)
If nothing else gets announced at that event, i will be very disappointed. Where is the Epson's first native 4K projector for the home theater market. I would pay $$$$$ for a successor to the ls10500.


I agree -- native 4K shall inherit the earth, or at least dominate the home theater market.

aaranddeeman 05-08-2019 04:12 PM

This is a DOA, IMHO.
What is the great difference between 6040UB and this? zip!! Zero!! Nada!! (I don't buy the contrast numbers. I have 6040 and it shines in my cave)
Unless Epson comes out with native 4k, it's a nose dive... Again it's just my opinion.

Theheadsn 05-08-2019 09:34 PM

I cant wait for native 4k projectors to become more of a norm. Itll mean projectors like these and lower will be sold at a steal

Maestrosc 05-08-2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaranddeeman (Post 58019496)
This is a DOA, IMHO.
What is the great difference between 6040UB and this? zip!! Zero!! Nada!! (I don't buy the contrast numbers. I have 6040 and it shines in my cave)
Unless Epson comes out with native 4k, it's a nose dive... Again it's just my opinion.

Pretty sure Epson sells more projectors in this price range than any other company and has been repeatedly outselling from the 5020-5040 and wouldnt bet against that happening again with the 5050 and 6050

Brian Hampton 05-09-2019 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theheadsn (Post 58020632)
I cant wait for native 4k projectors to become more of a norm. Itll mean projectors like these and lower will be sold at a steal

When 4K projector are common will you want E-shift at a lower price? ...

I do have a 720p Plasma from Black Friday so I guess sure... maybe for outdoor movies anyway. I've borrowed a 1080p Epson for my pool side dive in movies. I need to get a budget Epson Projector for outdoor movies.

In my limited experience I would have to say Epson is the king of reliable when it comes to projectors. I've never had a problem with one. My church uses one I purchased for them.

m0j0 05-09-2019 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 58010662)
Today, Epson has officially announced the Pro Cinema 6050UB 4K PRO-UHD Projector ($3999). This model is aimed squarely at the custom integrator channel and comes supplied with a spare bulb, a ceiling mount kit, and a longer (three year) warranty than what's offered with the consumer model, the 5050UB.

While not a native 4K projector, this model accepts 4K content, including HDR and 4K/60. It uses Epson's 1080p LCD imagers and pixel-shift technology to both increase apparent resolution on screen, and to make the pixel grid invisible. This projector largely shares the feature set of the Pro-UHD 5050UB, including advanced HDR processing and a highly flexible motorized lenses that can precisely zoom and position and focus the image on screen.

This projector is able to reproduce the P3 color gamut (used in commercial cinema) in its entirety when deploying its cinema filter—with some loss of peak brightness. With more lumens are needed, it can produce highly saturated color with full light output. Furthermore, Epson says that it’s UltraBlack Contrast tech allows for a dynamic contrast ratio of 1,200,000:1 (in a lab or ideal room, typical real-life contrast numbers are lower).

Full-bandwidth HDMI 2.0 (18GHz) allows for 4K/60 playback, which is great for streaming 4K and gaming. The Home Cinema 5050UBe comes equipped with a Epson WirelessHD transmitter with 4K/30 support and four inputs.


So, what's the differences between this and the 5050, besides the extra bulb, longer warranty and mount kit, or is that the difference?

imagic 05-09-2019 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0j0 (Post 58021162)
So, what's the differences between this and the 5050, besides the extra bulb, longer warranty and mount kit, or is that the difference?

Those are the fundamental differences. Beyond that, the company's slightly higher dynamic contrast number is a reflection of the fact that while the 5050UB and 6050UB contain the same internal parts, the 6050UB gets the components that spec the best, with a slight boost in overall performance being the consequence. I gather the variation here is not very large, so the differences might not even be visible. Regardless, that was mentioned during the event. The other thing is that these 6050 will have some calibration patterns built-in, although I have not had a chance to check that out.

But if the question is whether the 5050UB delivers fundamentally the same viewing experience, the answer is yes.

biliam1982 05-09-2019 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 58021324)
Those are the fundamental differences. Beyond that, the company's slightly higher dynamic contrast number is a reflection of the fact that while the 5050UB and 6050UB contain the same internal parts, the 6050UB gets the components that spec the best, with a slight boost in overall performance being the consequence. I gather the variation here is not very large, so the differences might not even be visible. Regardless, that was mentioned during the event. The other thing is that these 6050 will have some calibration patterns built-in, although I have not had a chance to check that out.

But if the question is whether the 5050UB delivers fundamentally the same viewing experience, the answer is yes.


So they're trying to do what JVC used to do with the 5 and 6 series?


Also, the 60X0 Epson's used to have the Anamorphic Modes enabled vs the 50X0. Is that still the case?

Mike Garrett 05-09-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biliam1982 (Post 58021828)
So they're trying to do what JVC used to do with the 5 and 6 series?


Also, the 60X0 Epson's used to have the Anamorphic Modes enabled vs the 50X0. Is that still the case?

Yes, 6050 has A-lens functions and 5050 does not. You would need to use a lens based on 1.33, not the new Paladin DCR lens.

imagic 05-09-2019 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biliam1982 (Post 58021828)
So they're trying to do what JVC used to do with the 5 and 6 series?


Also, the 60X0 Epson's used to have the Anamorphic Modes enabled vs the 50X0. Is that still the case?

Yes, that is another difference, 6050UB supports "Anamorphic Wide" and "Horizontal Squeeze"

thunderbird1100 05-09-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestrosc (Post 58020736)
Pretty sure Epson sells more projectors in this price range than any other company and has been repeatedly outselling from the 5020-5040 and wouldnt bet against that happening again with the 5050 and 6050

Does anyone really compete with them in this space? Most other manufacturers seems to have stuff that's $2k or less and then $4k-$5k or more. Seems like Epson is the only ones competing in the $2500-$3500 market really. I guess this is starting at $4000 for now, which is impeding on JVC territory a bit. Was the 6040ub also $4k at launch?

I guess Benq is starting to with the HT5500 which is $2500, but the 5050ub is still another $500 for now at $3k.

Going back to 5040/6040 was the 6040 a $1k price premium? Seems like a lot of extra money...

ricwhite 05-09-2019 08:26 AM

There is no difference in dynamic contrast between the 5050 and the 6050. That must be an error. Those two versions have always been exactly the same internally. The only difference is that the 6000 series comes with a black case, extra bulb, mount, and extra year on the warranty. I've had both versions of a previous series and they are exactly the same in terms of performance.

imagic 05-09-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricwhite (Post 58022190)
There is no difference in dynamic contrast between the 5050 and the 6050. That must be an error. Those two versions have always been exactly the same internally. The only difference is that the 6000 series comes with a black case, extra bulb, mount, and extra year on the warranty. I've had both versions of a previous series and they are exactly the same in terms of performance.

It's not an error, the explanation is that the parts chosen for the 6050UB (light engine, lens) are the ones that measure best and that collectively that results in a tiny bit more contrast which is expressed as the slightly higher dynamic contrast spec.

It's statistically insignificant, regardless. But there is reasoning behind it. I had joked that it represents the difference in reflected light between the white case and the black case, but the other answer (same parts, tighter tolerances) was the answer.

Had I not had this information presented to me, I was going to ask about it. But I didn't have to.

Luminated67 05-09-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaranddeeman (Post 58019496)
This is a DOA, IMHO.
What is the great difference between 6040UB and this? zip!! Zero!! Nada!! (I don't buy the contrast numbers. I have 6040 and it shines in my cave)
Unless Epson comes out with native 4k, it's a nose dive... Again it's just my opinion.

If you watch 4K HDR discs, stream etc then the difference is quite a bit visually.

Very happy that on this very rare occasion us in the UK are seeming to get a better deal than those in America, especially us that ordered when the TW9400 was first released as we got an extended 5yr warranty free.

Blitzdog 05-09-2019 11:20 AM

Thank you to all of the AVS Forum members that attended the unveiling in Manhattan. It was nice to meet all of you in person. The Epson team put on a great event in the perfect venue and all of your feedback was appreciated. Special congratulations to Dante for walking away with the grand prize!

aaranddeeman 05-09-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminated67 (Post 58022672)
If you watch 4K HDR discs, stream etc then the difference is quite a bit visually.

I don't know what you are referring to. I am comparing 6050 with the 6040 and don't see anything that stands out.

danlw2 05-09-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 (Post 58022154)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestrosc (Post 58020736)
Pretty sure Epson sells more projectors in this price range than any other company and has been repeatedly outselling from the 5020-5040 and wouldnt bet against that happening again with the 5050 and 6050

Does anyone really compete with them in this space? Most other manufacturers seems to have stuff that's $2k or less and then $4k-$5k or more. Seems like Epson is the only ones competing in the $2500-$3500 market really. I guess this is starting at $4000 for now, which is impeding on JVC territory a bit. Was the 6040ub also $4k at launch?

I guess Benq is starting to with the HT5500 which is $2500, but the 5050ub is still another $500 for now at $3k.

Going back to 5040/6040 was the 6040 a $1k price premium? Seems like a lot of extra money...

There is the JVC X790 which now MSRPs for $4K. Doesn't come with an extra lamp and mount, though. Still, I'd love to see somebody do a 6050 vs X790 comparison. Does newer processing beat out what used to be a much more expensive projector? (I dont recall if the original X790 MSRP was $6k or $7k)

fierce_gt 05-09-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaranddeeman (Post 58019496)
This is a DOA, IMHO.
What is the great difference between 6040UB and this? zip!! Zero!! Nada!! (I don't buy the contrast numbers. I have 6040 and it shines in my cave)
Unless Epson comes out with native 4k, it's a nose dive... Again it's just my opinion.

while it's certainly a nice thing when a new projector makes some leaps forward from last year's model, i don't really think they NEED to be to stay competitive. That is, i doubt the major market for the 6050UB is going to be somebody who bought a brand new projector last year. It's more likely somebody that hasn't bought a projector yet, or has one that is a few generations old. So it's more about providing a product that competes with other brands.

I can tell you, it's equally frustrating when manufacturers DON'T replace old models. I'm extremely happy with the JVC x35 i have, at least i was when i first got it and used it on a 120" or smaller screen(i had two). I've since gone to a larger screen, and with approaching 2000hrs on the bulb, i've had to open up the iris considerably, resulting in far less impressive ansi contrast. Bottom line, i would consider a new model with a little more lumens and similar performance for the same amount of money i paid for the x35. but they no longer make an lcos projector, of any kind, for the same kind of money as i paid for the x35.

so, sure, it would have been nice to see a 'real' 4k projector, or some other significant improvement over the 6040, but that likely would have come at a hefty cost increase.

Luminated67 05-10-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaranddeeman (Post 58024068)
I don't know what you are referring to. I am comparing 6050 with the 6040 and don't see anything that stands out.

Ok, correct me if wrong here because I’m from the UK and not America so these model names are foreign to me but I believe the 6040 is based directly on the 5040with the same HDR setup?

If it is the same then stop looking at spec sheets and go demo one because the new HDR setup is way superior and probably as good as currently available at the present.

But don’t just take my word for it speak to fellow members who have made the switch from 5040 to the 5050 and say it’s night and day.

descalabro 05-11-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Hampton (Post 58021088)
When 4K projector are common will you want E-shift at a lower price? ...

I do have a 720p Plasma from Black Friday so I guess sure... maybe for outdoor movies anyway. I've borrowed a 1080p Epson for my pool side dive in movies. I need to get a budget Epson Projector for outdoor movies.

In my limited experience I would have to say Epson is the king of reliable when it comes to projectors. I've never had a problem with one. My church uses one I purchased for them.

Yep, why not? I would even dismiss the e-shift entirely and enjoy those beautiful 1080p.

talon95 05-11-2019 02:05 PM

These still seem like a good deal. The 5050 in particular. e-shift provides decent sharpness. You've got to move all the way up to the $5k Sony or the $6k JVC to get true 4k and high contrast. The 5050/6050 fix the one glaring problem with the previous gen. Full bandwidth HDMI.

netwebber 05-12-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descalabro (Post 58031818)
Yep, why not? I would even dismiss the e-shift entirely and enjoy those beautiful 1080p.

E-shift completely eliminates SDE.

Mike Garrett 05-13-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talon95 (Post 58033218)
These still seem like a good deal. The 5050 in particular. e-shift provides decent sharpness. You've got to move all the way up to the $5k Sony or the $6k JVC to get true 4k and high contrast. The 5050/6050 fix the one glaring problem with the previous gen. Full bandwidth HDMI.

At the $3,000 price point, I do not think the 5050 has any competition, if looking at new projectors.

Daniel Chaves 05-13-2019 08:30 AM

I mean since this is just pro version of the other model and for the most part is the same projector, that said I have to say unless you are sensitive to rainbow effect I think the latest BenQ offerings are a bit better. I saw a person do a side by side video review and the Epson had more punch but the BenQ had more accuracy but this was an out of the box comparison so take that with a grain of salt. I look forward to more head to head with these two companies.

descalabro 05-13-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netwebber (Post 58038534)
E-shift completely eliminates SDE.


That was never a problem for me.
I guess I’m lucky for not being sensitive to any of the issues of neither LCD nor DLP


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luminated67 05-13-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves (Post 58040258)
I mean since this is just pro version of the other model and for the most part is the same projector, that said I have to say unless you are sensitive to rainbow effect I think the latest BenQ offerings are a bit better. I saw a person do a side by side video review and the Epson had more punch but the BenQ had more accuracy but this was an out of the box comparison so take that with a grain of salt. I look forward to more head to head with these two companies.

The BenQ is a decent enough projector but without knowing whether the correct colour mode to use correctly then it’s understandable to have to opinion the Epson isn’t as accurate of colours but the reality is that it’s extremely accurate right out of the box.

I got my TW9400 calibrated and was shocked just how little colour adjustment he made to achieve 100% colour accuracy. Then there’s other benefits the Epson has that makes it the machine to have in this price bracket.

paindonthurt 05-13-2019 02:17 PM

I wish Epson would sell the consumer models 5040 & 5050 in black cases. I’ve been stuck paying more for the pro with the extras that I don’t really need.

netwebber 05-13-2019 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by paindonthurt (Post 58042364)
I wish Epson would sell the consumer models 5040 & 5050 in black cases. I’ve been stuck paying more for the pro with the extras that I don’t really need.

Me too. A white projector would look really ugly in my theater.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.