New HT build: 180" 1.5 gain screen, which projector (nx5,nx7,695es) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 05-15-2019, 04:04 PM
aka: HarperVision

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tddk View Post
The lk990 though is getting dinged pretty hard for color accuracy in the other threads. Most of the data I read in that thread highlights issues with that projector in terms of accuracy, which as primarily movies, is something I care about.

I plan on using madvr for tone mapping, shouldn't that help improve the HDR performance?

I did some preliminary measurements last night and it’s not as bad as has been initially reported, at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 05-15-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Quote:
The lk990 though is getting dinged pretty hard for color accuracy in the other threads. Most of the data I read in that thread highlights issues with that projector in terms of accuracy, which as primarily movies, is something I care about.

I plan on using madvr for tone mapping, shouldn't that help improve the HDR performance?
You can't have it all unless you are willing to shell out BIG bucks

The LK990 is in your budget, and will light up your screen - while also supporting 4K HDR & 3D. There really isn't much else out there that compares. The color gamut isn't as wide as some of the less bright options, but that will be a whole lot less noticeable than a dark picture in HDR.

If you like the idea of 180" and don't want to spend a small fortune, the LK990 is bar none your best bet.
Dave Harper and Maestrosc like this.
post #33 of 39 Old 05-15-2019, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
You can't have it all unless you are willing to shell out BIG bucks

The LK990 is in your budget, and will light up your screen - while also supporting 4K HDR & 3D. There really isn't much else out there that compares. The color gamut isn't as wide as some of the less bright options, but that will be a whole lot less noticeable than a dark picture in HDR.

If you like the idea of 180" and don't want to spend a small fortune, the LK990 is bar none your best bet.
Starting to see that as a lead option, just now debating if i should back off hdr until ceida this year to see what may come out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 05-15-2019, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I did some preliminary measurements last night and it’s not as bad as has been initially reported, at all.
good to hear, looking forward to seeing your data dave, appreciate the help as always!
Dave Harper likes this.
post #35 of 39 Old 05-16-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 4220 Post(s)
Liked: 2648
Quote:
Hi All,

I dont want to repeat too much in this forum, as this is mainly to get projector advice or potentially projector/screen advice.

A friend gave me his old Elite Screens ezFrame CineGray 5D 180". I have a 22x16 room with 12' ceiling (schematics can be seen in new build thread linked below).

I am debating which projector to get and am torn. I am hoping the 1.5x gain will assit with brightness given the screen size.

Between an Nx5, 695es, or lk990, which would be the best option.

Some friends are stating it may be necessary to ditch the screen and get a different one for 4k UHD at this time due to brightness.

I appreciate your input!

edit: added benq's to the list. Removed nx7, added lk990.

New build thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...icated-ht.html
I'm a big fan of JVC projectors especially for their black levels. But for your screen size, I'd be going LK970 or LK990. The contrast levels won't be nearly as good as what you get on JVC, but those JVC and that Sony (which is dimmer than JVC even) won't do the job of lighting that size screen at all. My friend has had an RS500 on his 186" screen and it was ok but not great. He just upgraded to an LK970 and is quite thrilled.

Based on the feedback between LK970 and LK990, it's not clear but the 970 may be a better deal if you can find one. Sounds like the 990 has some sort of "brilliant color" mode that can't be disabled without losing 60% of the rated lumens and the 970 does not have this problem.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #36 of 39 Old 05-16-2019, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 286
FWIW as far as the math goes. An NX5 at close throw would produce 25fL (85nits) in high bulb mode on a 180" 16:9 1.5 gain screen.

After 30% bulb loss that would be down to 17.5fL (60nits).

This is based on 1600 lumens which is about what my NX5 did at close throw on my screen after calibration.

IMO this is more than enough as I run my NX5 on a 1.0 gain screen at 20fL (70nits) and find it plenty bright for SDR and HDR (with madVR).

But of course that is just my opinion. It's more than bright enough, but more brightness of course wouldn't be bad. But personally I could never deal with rainbow effect if that was the alternative.
Craig Peer likes this.

My apartment Home Theater
Upgrades coming soon!
post #37 of 39 Old 05-16-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I'm a big fan of JVC projectors especially for their black levels. But for your screen size, I'd be going LK970 or LK990. The contrast levels won't be nearly as good as what you get on JVC, but those JVC and that Sony (which is dimmer than JVC even) won't do the job of lighting that size screen at all. My friend has had an RS500 on his 186" screen and it was ok but not great. He just upgraded to an LK970 and is quite thrilled.

Based on the feedback between LK970 and LK990, it's not clear but the 970 may be a better deal if you can find one. Sounds like the 990 has some sort of "brilliant color" mode that can't be disabled without losing 60% of the rated lumens and the 970 does not have this problem.

This shouldn’t be an issue after taking some preliminary measurements with it on the other night. I’m sure this was also exaggerated by Javs’ meter’s inability to measure laser phosphor properly.
post #38 of 39 Old 05-16-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2148 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
FWIW as far as the math goes. An NX5 at close throw would produce 25fL (85nits) in high bulb mode on a 180" 16:9 1.5 gain screen.

After 30% bulb loss that would be down to 17.5fL (60nits).

This is based on 1600 lumens which is about what my NX5 did at close throw on my screen after calibration.

IMO this is more than enough as I run my NX5 on a 1.0 gain screen at 20fL (70nits) and find it plenty bright for SDR and HDR (with madVR).

But of course that is just my opinion. It's more than bright enough, but more brightness of course wouldn't be bad. But personally I could never deal with rainbow effect if that was the alternative.
It's still BARELY enough (borderline), will work ok in a batcave, but the question becomes how many hours will he put on it, and how often does someone want to change the bulb.
When you run a bulb in high, it will last about 1/4th to 1/6th as long in my experience (not 1/2 as long), but these JVC bulbs are supposedly pretty good so who knows.

Of course there is always the double stack option (though there are a lot of issues with it IMO, but it can be done).

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #39 of 39 Old 05-16-2019, 07:54 PM

I don’t think everyone should be short changing @DavidHir ’s suggestion of the new laser Epson light cannon too. I’d love to get hold of one to see what it can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page