Best native 4K projector for gaming? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Kris Deering
  • 1 Post By sage11x
  • 1 Post By Kris Deering
  • 1 Post By coderguy
  • 1 Post By sage11x
  • 1 Post By DunMunro

post #1 of 26 Old 05-11-2019, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Best native 4K projector for gaming?

What are the best 2019 full-4K options in terms of input lag? I was considering something like the BenQ HT9060 but can't find any information on lag.

I'm much more familiar with TV tech and am just looking into projectors for the first time. But, because I'm looking at the 85"+ range of 2019 televisions, I'm constantly being told to look at projectors as well.Brightness/contrast is also a big concern for me as I'd like it to be as usable as possible in an imperfectly darkened space...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-11-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areth View Post
What are the best 2019 full-4K options in terms of input lag? I was considering something like the BenQ HT9060 but can't find any information on lag.

I'm much more familiar with TV tech and am just looking into projectors for the first time. But, because I'm looking at the 85"+ range of 2019 televisions, I'm constantly being told to look at projectors as well.Brightness/contrast is also a big concern for me as I'd like it to be as usable as possible in an imperfectly darkened space...
I haven't seen any lag measurements for the HT9060 but my guess is it will be in the 60-80ms range. Just an FYI: all of the DLP XPR (4K) projectors are north of 40ms. The quickest are the budget models which sit in the 40-60ms range.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #3 of 26 Old 05-11-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3712 Post(s)
Liked: 6308
The DLP projectors are not native 4K, they are eShift. They are individually addressed pixels, but they overlap. So if you are looking for an actual NATIVE 4K projector, your options are Sony and JVC. Both have low input lag modes that work very well for gaming.
wombats likes this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 05-11-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
The DLP projectors are not native 4K, they are eShift. They are individually addressed pixels, but they overlap. So if you are looking for an actual NATIVE 4K projector, your options are Sony and JVC. Both have low input lag modes that work very well for gaming.
This is very helpful, thanks. I'm just getting up to speed on the 4k vs. faux-k debate in the projector world.

I think I'd rather err on the side of safety and stick with a native 4K device and avoid the debate. So which of the Sony and JVC 2019 offerings have the best input lag, is my next question?

There aren't great comparison resources on input lag. Projector Central's reviews largely don't acknowledge the concept of gaming at all.
post #5 of 26 Old 05-11-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is very helpful, thanks. I'm just getting up to speed on the 4k vs. faux-k debate in the projector world.

I think I'd rather err on the side of safety and stick with a native 4K device and avoid the debate. So which of the Sony and JVC 2019 offerings have the best input lag, is my next question?

There aren't great comparison resources on input lag. Projector Central's reviews largely don't acknowledge the concept of gaming at all.

DLP is not “faux K” and it’s not the same as E-shift. It’s 4K albeit pixel shifted. “Faux K” refers to systems such as Epson’s ‘Enhanced 4K’ and JVC’s ‘E-shift’ that take a native 1080p display and double the pixel count to around 4 million pixels to approximate a true 4K image. FYI, 4K has around 8.3 million pixels.

But, yes, in this case if you’re looking for the lowest possible lag in a 4K projector I believe that honor belongs to the Sony’s starting with the 295ES.
DunMunro likes this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #6 of 26 Old 05-11-2019, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
On of the best options would be JVCs nx7. Great blacks and contrast, 4K image, amazing contrast or if you have the money you can not go wrong with the nx9. That’s one for best out there. I’m not well versed on the laser projectors or their pros and cons enough to recommend one of those.
post #7 of 26 Old 05-11-2019, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3712 Post(s)
Liked: 6308
Quote:
Quote:

All the native 4K models in the Sony and JVC lines are the same for lag within their respective line. Sony vs JVC I’m not sure on. I believe they are very close and both very low.
wombats likes this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #8 of 26 Old 05-11-2019, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:

Viewsonic claims that they will have a low lag 4K laser PJ on the market this year:

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/ls700-4k.html

It is also very bright
post #9 of 26 Old 05-11-2019, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:

Getting projectors optimized in an "imperfectly darkened space" is a lot of work. It means velvet wall treatments around the image area, directional lighting pointing away from the screen, as well as special ALR or gray screens all combined is how you will get the best results. Just throwing more and more lumens helps for the bright scenes, but the dark scenes are going to look 'unwatchable' even with a small amount of ambient light, unless you do a ton of stuff to make it bearable + get high lumens.

So you have to decide, how much light do you want to run the image in?

I would buy a cheap 1080p projector and experiment first before you jump whole heartedly into this.

You can buy a 1080p Viewsonic refurb light canon for $380 and use it as a backup after you buy your 'real' projector,
or return it after you play around for a couple hours, or just sell it on Ebay later.

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/outlet/...px700hd-s.html
https://www.viewsonic.com/us/outlet/...o7827hd-s.html

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/outlet/...rder=price&p=2
DunMunro likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 05-11-2019 at 12:05 PM.
post #10 of 26 Old 05-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
All the native 4K models in the Sony and JVC lines are the same for lag within their respective line. Sony vs JVC I’m not sure on. I believe they are very close and both very low.
Tests show a range of 30-60msec for Sony and JVC 4K PJs. This is not considered low in gaming circles. The best 1080p DLP PJs can now do ~9msec with ~16 being common. The low end of current 4K DLP overlaps with the input lag for 4K Sony and JVC at around ~45msec.
post #11 of 26 Old 05-11-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Tests show a range of 30-60msec for Sony and JVC 4K PJs. This is not considered low in gaming circles. The best 1080p DLP PJs can now do ~9msec with ~16 being common. The low end of current 4K DLP overlaps with the input lag for 4K Sony and JVC at around ~45msec.

I think the 295es can do under 30ms. Actually, in the middle of writing this I looked it up on PJC. They measured 27ms. Anything under 34ms is pretty good in my opinion. But, for sure, if you’re looking at the best projectors out there it would be one of the HD DLPs at 16ms.

Of course, and I think you’ve mentioned this before too, one of the cool things about projectors is you can have two pointed at the same screen— get one for movie picture quality and another one specifically for gaming! In the sub $3k forum this is usually not an option by in this price range...
DunMunro likes this.

post #12 of 26 Old 05-12-2019, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Viewsonic claims their 4K laser PJ will have 16msec input lag:

Quote:
REDUCED INPUT LATENCY
This projector delivers smooth images without delay. Its ultra-low 16ms input latency provides faster frame-by-frame action.
https://www.viewsonic.com/us/project.../ls700-4k.html
post #13 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Viewsonic claims their 4K laser PJ will have 16msec input lag:
Yeah, I'm very dubious about that claim. The lag that 4K DLPs experience is specifically tied to the TI chipset and the XPR process itself. Unless Viewsonic is debuting a new generation of XPR...

post #14 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Sony 295 is probably best 4K gaming projector.

My apartment Home Theater
Upgrades coming soon!
post #15 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Yeah, I'm very dubious about that claim. The lag that 4K DLPs experience is specifically tied to the TI chipset and the XPR process itself. Unless Viewsonic is debuting a new generation of XPR...
VS states that it will be released 1 June, so we'll know soon. I speculate that the low lag might be achieved by disabling XPR or by a very high frame rate in XPR.
sage11x likes this.
post #16 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 59
One possible advantage the HT9060 might have is if the pixel shifting can be turned off. From the manual, it looks like it is possible, but I have yet to see it confirmed by an owner.

The reason this could be an advantage is the projector's native resolution is 2716x1528. So while it is not true 4K, it is finer than 1080, and depending on your screen size, it could work well. The big advantage with this resolution is that instead of pushing 8M pixels, you are pushing 4M pixels. (For reference, 1080p is 2M pixels) This means you will have higher framerates (since the GPU doesn't have to render as many pixels) AND a razor sharp picture. And with the 9060 you also have the benefit of an LED light engine so that you don't have to feel as guilty about marathon gaming sessions taking a toll on your lamp.

Of course, this assumes that the 9060 will accept a 2716x1528 input. And it also assumes your game of choice will allow you to play at this oddball resolution. (Generally doable with PC games... not so much of consoles are your thing) If any 9060 owners (or even 990 owners) can try feeding their projector a 2716x1528 signal, that would be very helpful. And if somebody with the proper equipment can test the lag at this resolution vs 4K, that would be even better.

I am DanLW.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...103-danlw.html
post #17 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 06:25 AM

I think the HT9060 doesn't support 18Gbit, so you can't get a 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 signal. Or at least that how it seemed to work when I was testing one, unless the HDMI ports are different and I was using the wrong one.

Upgrades coming soon!
post #18 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked: 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Sony 295 is probably best 4K gaming projector.
Unfortunately, the lack of fade to black on loading screens ruins the 295 for me.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #19 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlw2 View Post
One possible advantage the HT9060 might have is if the pixel shifting can be turned off. From the manual, it looks like it is possible, but I have yet to see it confirmed by an owner.

The reason this could be an advantage is the projector's native resolution is 2716x1528. So while it is not true 4K, it is finer than 1080, and depending on your screen size, it could work well. The big advantage with this resolution is that instead of pushing 8M pixels, you are pushing 4M pixels. (For reference, 1080p is 2M pixels) This means you will have higher framerates (since the GPU doesn't have to render as many pixels) AND a razor sharp picture. And with the 9060 you also have the benefit of an LED light engine so that you don't have to feel as guilty about marathon gaming sessions taking a toll on your lamp.

Of course, this assumes that the 9060 will accept a 2716x1528 input. And it also assumes your game of choice will allow you to play at this oddball resolution. (Generally doable with PC games... not so much of consoles are your thing) If any 9060 owners (or even 990 owners) can try feeding their projector a 2716x1528 signal, that would be very helpful. And if somebody with the proper equipment can test the lag at this resolution vs 4K, that would be even better.
All the BenQs have a 'silent mode' that disables the XPR pixel shift.

The native DMD resolution of 2716x1528 is non-standard so from what I understand the projector simply scales the incoming 1080p or 4K signal (i.e. there is no source that will output a 2716x1528 image and the projector won't accept it even if there was). No idea how well it does this so maybe an owner can chime in. On the .47 DMDs (4 way shift) this is a bit simpler as the native resolution is just 1080p. So on the HT5550, for example, the projector would simply output the 1080p source image or, if fed a 4K source, scale the image down to 1080p.

post #20 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think the HT9060 doesn't support 18Gbit, so you can't get a 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 signal. Or at least that how it seemed to work when I was testing one, unless the HDMI ports are different and I was using the wrong one.

I'd be very surprised if that was the case. AFAIK, all DLP 4K PJs support 18Gbit HDMI and 4K 60hz 4:4:4.
post #21 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Specific low-latency input lag for JVC DLA-RS2000?

Hi folks, I am trying to find what exactly the input lag *is* on low latency mode for the JVC DLA-RS2000? I don't see it on the official specs or even this AVSForum post. Has anyone come across this or measured it?

Also, for what it's worth, I have an earlier JVC x7500 (the first with their low latency mode), and found it fine for gaming personally. Think that one measured around 40 ms? Suspect it will be good enough for most people except for the twitchiest of games, but obviously people have different sensitivities.

Will be looking to sell the x7500 in near future if anyone is interested. Drop me a line!
post #22 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrignaud View Post
Hi folks, I am trying to find what exactly the input lag *is* on low latency mode for the JVC DLA-RS2000? I don't see it on the official specs or even this AVSForum post. Has anyone come across this or measured it?

Also, for what it's worth, I have an earlier JVC x7500 (the first with their low latency mode), and found it fine for gaming personally. Think that one measured around 40 ms? Suspect it will be good enough for most people except for the twitchiest of games, but obviously people have different sensitivities.

Will be looking to sell the x7500 in near future if anyone is interested. Drop me a line!

The NX are about 40ms. Low latency doesn’t change it either.

Upgrades coming soon!
post #23 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
cool
post #24 of 26 Old 05-15-2019, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Awesome. Thanks for sharing!
post #25 of 26 Old 05-15-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:

Spot on. Per JVC training video they have they quote 37ms.

Lind Family HT
HT - RS2000/VW695ES - ST130 - Emotiva RMF-1 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 1008ti- Dual SVS PB16-Ultra's - Lumagen Radiance Pro
post #26 of 26 Old 05-16-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Guess Ill weigh with my "non-purist" opinions (I know, useless).

I have an NX5 that is used primarily for gaming. Hardware-wise, you name it, I have it. Every major console from the NES (yep, have played the original Mario Bros on it...looked, a bit odd), to a gaming PC superior to most. I however, do not play competitive shooters on it. So far, it has been spectacular with the only noticeable lag coming with Forza (for me anyway)and it was VERY minor. Red Dead 2 on XB1X was great, Days Gone on PS4P has been great as well. Odyssey on the PC has been sublime also. Haven't done any actual measuring because......its been great so, don't need to. Anyway, thats my .02.

Have a Forza vid here....will add more when I can get the camera better "dialed in":

Last edited by Kyle_Gates; 05-16-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page