Anyone Own The Benq LK953ST? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 06-07-2019, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 34
BenQ LK952 is here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1E550F26-E6B6-4D82-BF67-6B06E969CEF0_1559945732205.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	2577208   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB52B51C-CCDC-4C60-AEFB-593EEF905172_1559945757329.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	2577210  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 06-07-2019, 03:44 PM

So far I'm very very impressed with it's 4K HDR performance (Games and Movies). This is not scientific but here are a few short videos I took with my iphone. The TV below is my LG 65" OLED C8 for comparison.

post #33 of 49 Old 06-07-2019, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Thanks plasmaowner, was the laser mode in eco, normal or smart eco? Looking forward to more thoughts and impressions!! Thank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 06-08-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Great videos and great idea..I need to watch them on my hdr oled. HUGE difference in that last video inferno scene. Thanks for taking the time.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #35 of 49 Old 06-08-2019, 09:54 AM

Ya the bumblebee title screen you can really see the contrast difference, that’s why I’m curious about the output mode, cause there was not 100,000:1 contrast haha.
post #36 of 49 Old 06-08-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystigiandoll View Post
Thanks plasmaowner, was the laser mode in eco, normal or smart eco? Looking forward to more thoughts and impressions!! Thank!
That was in eco mode. It looks STUNNING in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
Great videos and great idea..I need to watch them on my hdr oled. HUGE difference in that last video inferno scene. Thanks for taking the time.
Yes there is a huge different in the second video. no match to the oled with it's much better blacks. The black floor on all the LK projectors are really really horrible (just the honest truth).

But I just wanted to show just how bright and great this projector does with 4K HDR, IMO it's just as impressive as my OLED beside the black floor. The contrast is really good and this thing is ULTRA sharp.

So here are my professional thoughts, okay average Joe thoughts

First the things I don't like. It's sorta loud, and I can see it being distracting for some. It's about 5 or six feet from my seating and I can hear it easily.
NO 3D!!! I'm a bit bummed that it doesn't do 3D. Yes it has the button for it on the remote but it doesn't do anything and there's nothing for it in the menus.
I wish there were more settings for tweaking the projector,. It has all your basic setting that you would normally find but not many advanced settings.
Motion isn't that great (sometimes). In some content the panning is a little jerky and there are no settings in the projector to address this.
Finally the blacks. I have been following the LK970/990 threads for months now, I've read every comment and have to be completely honest. The black floor is TERRIBLE. Plain and simple, see second video above.

Okay things I love.

The brightness is incredible!!!!!!! Colors are rich, contrast is excellent, image is extremely sharp! Did I say it's bright? I'm projecting on a Dalite 2.8 HP 159" screen and IT'S A TORCH. It's so bright that I can't watch it in normal mode at night. I'm actually considering selling my screen for a normal 1.1 white screen. It's just as bright as my OLED. I kid you not. It really is like having a 159 inch TV, it's truly unbelievable in that regard and exactly what I wanted.

4K HDR looks INCREDIBLE. I'm using a Nvidia shield for streaming my Plex library and not using any other equipment, so no hdfury vertex/linker needed. Standard HD looks great too and the 4K up conversion works really well. Colors are really good out the box. I haven't done any tweaking

GAMES!!!! OMG I've been playing Forza 7 in 4K HDR 60FPS and my mind is blown. Again it looks like I'm playing on a 159" HDR TV. NO LAG that I can detect. Halo 5, SC6, GOW4, Assassins Creed Origins, Injustice all play and look incredible with no perceived lag.

Finally thoughts...

With all that said I don't have a dedicated theater and If I did I would not buy this projector for it. In a completely black theater I believe there are better options more suited for that environment. Mixed content looks great on this projector but when things get dark things get ugly fast. Blacks are horrendous and it sticks out like a sore thumb guys (see second video).
post #37 of 49 Old 06-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaowner View Post
That was in eco mode. It looks STUNNING in person

With all that said I don't have a dedicated theater and If I did I would not buy this projector for it. In a completely black theater I believe there are better options more suited for that environment. Mixed content looks great on this projector but when things get dark things get ugly fast. Blacks are horrendous and it sticks out like a sore thumb guys (see second video).
I'll bet it would look a whole lot better on a low gain grey screen. Most high lumen PJs would struggle on such a high gain screen.
post #38 of 49 Old 06-08-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
I'll bet it would look a whole lot better on a low gain grey screen. Most high lumen PJs would struggle on such a high gain screen.
Yeah I'm seriously considering getting one soon. I love my HP screen but hate the placement limitations.
post #39 of 49 Old 06-08-2019, 11:28 AM

If you get around to it I would love to hear your impressions on smart eco on that same Bumblebee scene to see if you notice anything different or any jarring dimming and if it helps the blacks at all. My theater is dedicated and all black but I have such a large screen that it's just a bit beyond what the 'standard' home theater projectors can do.
post #40 of 49 Old 06-08-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystigiandoll View Post
If you get around to it I would love to hear your impressions on smart eco on that same Bumblebee scene to see if you notice anything different or any jarring dimming and if it helps the blacks at all. My theater is dedicated and all black but I have such a large screen that it's just a bit beyond what the 'standard' home theater projectors can do.
Both of those videos are in eco mode actually but I will check again tonight just to be sure.
post #41 of 49 Old 06-08-2019, 08:12 PM

Ya I would think there would be a smart eco mode that does a bit of dynamic dimming but I guess I am not totally sure what options the LK952 has.
post #42 of 49 Old 06-10-2019, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
No 3d... Ugh! Back to searching for a short throw
post #43 of 49 Old 06-10-2019, 01:44 PM

Yeah no 3d really does suck.

I've been really enjoying this projector for the past few days now and after watching many many different types of content I'm extremely impressed! I may have spoken too soon about not getting this in a dedicated theater, the perceived blacks on mixed content looks great IMHO, but went the image is mostly dark that's when you really notice how bad the blacks are, it looks more like muddy grey. But on everything else it look great, so clear and so much detail in the picture it's like looking through a window. It's a very very clear picture.

I can't emphasize how bright this projector is. It's extremely bright and I'm sure it could light up a 200 inch screen with ease. I'll post another video in a minute of daytime viewing.
post #44 of 49 Old 06-10-2019, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 85
yeah, i just double checked and the lk990 seems to be the only lk that does 3d, fortunately i'm not a 3d guy..

@plasmaowner , glad to see you got yours and that you like it... in the past you had asked me why i used a vertex with my lk953st, no special reason, i just happened to have it left over from when i needed the vertex to manage two different resolutions (4k and 1080p displays) so that my system wouldn't default to the lowest res, now i'm just using the vertex as a 4k splitter.

btw, do you happen to have your lk connected to a pc? after using my lk for a bit i started to panic when i tried to watch some of my 4k hdr rips, they just didn't look very impressive at all, so my first impressions was that perhaps the hdr capability of this pj was extremely overrated.

then i streamed some of the 4k hdr clips on youtube, and some of the 4k hdr clips i had downloaded in the past and just wow, just wow, they were absolutely spectacular! i then went through my 4k hdr rip library and discovered that the quality of a lot of my rips just sucked, it wasn't the pj's fault it was mine, given i admittedly am very new to ripping and tried many different approaches (dvdfab, makemkv, etc.) and grew impatient with the time it took and attempted to speed up the process with different "recommended" rip tweaks which, apparently, led to lousy transfers.

anyway, i agree with everything you've said, including the blacks, altho the "poor" blacks really don't bother me much at all given the crispness and colors of the image... one thing that did surprise me, what i didn't anticipate when buying a 4k hdr tv and pj, is how great my non-hdr bluray rips look, absolutely fantastic!
post #45 of 49 Old 06-12-2019, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

well i spoke too soon, before having a chance to spend much time with this pj and test a lot of different sources - the out of the box / first impression was great, fantastic actually, but as i've spent more and more time with the pj it has continued to lose its luster, so much so that i will be sending back this week, while still within the 30-day window.

first, i discovered that it actually doesn't do that great in ambient light imo, not for something that's advertised as a "presentation" projector geared for ambient light environments... sure, it's much brighter and fares better than a typical ht pj in ambient light, but i expected it to perform head and shoulders above the 1080p short throw pj it replaced, using the same screen, but it really didn't... i suppose an alr screen would have helped the cause, but i thought that in the exact same environment, using the exact same screen, it would have easily outperformed my previous short throw, it simply didn't imo.

second, after first being very impressed with its hdr capability, mainly because it was a novelty seeing a pj capable of hdr, i became less and less impressed... some hdr content looked very good, but it simply lacked hdr "pop", even in perfectly dark rooms, which i attribute to its contrast limitations, there's simply not enough variance between blacks and whites to achieve the hdr "pop" as far as i could tell, which is painfully evident when simultaneously watching an hdr flatscreen... to be fair, i didn't expect this pj to be the equivalent of a 165" hdr flatscreen, but i did expected better than what i saw... moreover it's very picky when it comes hdr content imo, some stuff looks good while other stuff looks barely 1080p, whereas hdr panels (at least the ones i've owned) seem to make almost all hdr content look great.

there was also something going on with its tone mapping and upscaling capabilities imo... for example, if i turned on windows 10 hdr and also enabled hdr on the pj, sdr stuff (such as the pc desktop, browsers, etc.) looked pretty awful, in so many ways - however if i fed the same sdr stuff to my panel, that automatically kicked into hdr when it saw that windows 10 hdr was activated, everything looked absolutely spectacular, my desktop, browser, both sdr and hdr looked fantastic... even my lumagen pro couldn't really help the cause, when given tone mapping duties.

full disclosure, i didn't try the pj with my oppo uhd-203 and 4k hdr discs because, frankly, i'm done with discs, instead i ran it through what would be my primary use, i.e. my ripped library that includes a lot of 4k hdr rips, 4k hdr streaming (netflix, prime, youtube, etc.), and live tv (mostly sports), and imo it just didn't blow the doors off, it was ok, even very nice at times depending on the content, but nothing that would warrant the price tag imo, especially given that i usually got a beautiful image from my 1080p short throw + lumagen... anyway, the search continues.
post #46 of 49 Old 06-12-2019, 01:45 PM

I'm sorry to hear that aeneas01. I'm still blown away by mine. Games/4K HDR/Bluray/Netflix all looks incredible. Mine is extremely bright and I run it in economy mode now day and night. I've compared mine directly against my OLED TV several times now and I find it incredible that I basically have a 159" 4K TV now. It looks just as good, well minus the blacks and overall color/contrast.

The only thing I wish is it did 3D. I have over 100 titles.
post #47 of 49 Old 06-12-2019, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that aeneas01. I'm still blown away by mine. Games/4K HDR/Bluray/Netflix all looks incredible. Mine is extremely bright and I run it in economy mode now day and night. I've compared mine directly against my OLED TV several times now and I find it incredible that I basically have a 159" 4K TV now. It looks just as good, well minus the blacks and overall color/contrast.

There's lots of high lumen 1080P 3D capable projectors available, quite inexpensively.
post #48 of 49 Old 06-12-2019, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

i think it's awesome that you're enjoying your purchase so much, hopefully i'll eventually find something that i'll be equally happy with!

while our projectors are very similar, yours has a different lens, i wonder how much of a difference that makes in what we're seeing.... re settings, i really couldn't tell the difference between "normal" and "eco" modes, they were equally bright to my eye, while "eco" mode didn't offer dynamic contrast as far as i could tell (which was asked about earlier in this thread), moreover i found the "dimming" setting to be a real head-scratcher and couldn't understand when anyone would possibly use it given that it darkened the image so much.

re the hdr setting, the manual describes it as "delivers high dynamic range effects..." and to my eye that's exactly what it was, a stab at making an image "look like" hdr, the same sort of thing as trying to make an sdr image look hdr as my oled does when it doesn't see an hdr signal, i.e. it kinda looks hdr until you see real hdr.

i will say that this projector rocked with pixar-style animated movies, and my guess is that it probably rocks with gaming graphics (i'm not a gamer so i didn't check it out)... but, to be fair, my benq 1080p rocked with pixar-like animated movies too, and while the lk953st was better, it wasn't 6 times the cost better.

anyway, at least i have a nice little projector credit to play with thanks to benq's great return policy, in fact i went ahead and ordered the xiaomi mijia 4k projector and a 160" pet alr screen which combined cost about 60% of what i paid for the lk953st. so there's that.

i just wish i had the room to use a standard throw pj, i would have so many more options, but unfortunately i'm limited to short throw or ust.
post #49 of 49 Old 06-13-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Could be the lens but seems unlikely, i would put money on screen and room dynamics and personal observation variance. Hell, we have people viewing the exact same projector room set up and disagreeing so adamantly they come to verbal blows. Just means I have to see for myself...grrrrrrr.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page