Anyone Own The Benq LK953ST? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 Old 05-15-2019, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Anyone Own The Benq LK953ST (SHORT THROW)?

ave been wanting to take the 4k laser plunge but needed a short throw, tried the dell s718ql ultra short throw but wasn't happy with it for many reasons so i returned it - recently purchased the benq lk953st which should arrive by the end of the week.

for the life of me i couldn't find a 4k laser short throw before i purchased the dell, it seemed that my only choices were ultra short throw or a standard distance throw (which i can't use), but i doubled my efforts when i returned the dell and came across the lk953st which, as far as i can tell, is the only 4k laser short throw available.

anyway, while i've been waiting for the lk953st to arrive i've done some additional reading and was a bit disappointed to discover that the lk953st features a 0.47 chip rather than a 0.66 chip (albeit it's the dlp470te chip as opposed to the dlp470tp), in fact i was a bit surprised given the lk953st's price point, i.e. it's not exactly an economy pj.

but after some more research i'm not at all worried about the 0.47 vs 0.66 chip, according to a projector central article i stumbled across there doesn't seem to be any real world, perceivable difference between the two, apparently it's a pj's contrast capability that wins the day in terms of perceivable sharpness - add to this, the dell ultra short throw i recently returned featured a 0.66 chip and i wasn't particularly wowed by it.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/4k-...htm?page=Intro

looking at the specs of a few benq "installation" lk models, mined from benq, projector central, and a couple of other sources, this is what i came up with.. interestingly, the texas instruments website states that the dlp470te "chipset is in a larger package (compared to the dlp470tp) which enables it to withstand the heat generated by brightness levels up to 4,000 lumens"... but according to the following projectorreview.com review of the lk953st, it actually produced more than benq's 5k stated lumens, and texas instrument's stated 4k lumens, projectorreview.com measured it at 6,100 lumens:

https://www.projectorreviews.com/ben...w-performance/



anyway, looking forward to receiving the lk953st, i'll report back with my thoughts, altho i'm a relative projector newbie.

Last edited by aeneas01; 06-01-2019 at 07:52 PM.
aeneas01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 49 Old 05-16-2019, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 111
my lk953st arrived today, absolutely dwarfs the benq ht1085st it will replace (pictured), thought i had everything ready to go once it arrived, including a long 4k hdmi run, but as it turns out i'm going to need a different mount, not sure how i didn't see that coming, so another day or so before i can play with it, alas...



aeneas01 is offline  
post #3 of 49 Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TimHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just ran across this projector as well. Interested to hear your report and pics.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
TimHuey is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 49 Old 05-17-2019, 08:18 AM
Member
 
mystigiandoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I am also very interested to hear your thoughts on it, do you have any calibration equipment, I haven't seen anything about how much of the color spectrum it covers or contrast numbers. Regardless in my room I could have this mounted above and in front of the seating which would be great!
mystigiandoll is online now  
post #5 of 49 Old 05-17-2019, 08:57 AM
Member
 
YumMasterYum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
+1 to hearing thoughts! Looking to upgrade my screen size with a short throw 4k projector
YumMasterYum is online now  
post #6 of 49 Old 05-17-2019, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystigiandoll View Post
I am also very interested to hear your thoughts on it, do you have any calibration equipment, I haven't seen anything about how much of the color spectrum it covers or contrast numbers. Regardless in my room I could have this mounted above and in front of the seating which would be great!
As per post 1, it covers 95% of Rec709.

It certainly looks like it has great potential for home theatre use.
DunMunro is online now  
post #7 of 49 Old 05-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Member
 
mystigiandoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
As per post 1, it covers 95% of Rec709.

It certainly looks like it has great potential for home theatre use.
Ah ha, not sure how i missed that being it was right in front of my face but when I was checking specs elsewhere I assumed it did not do 3D which apparently it does!
mystigiandoll is online now  
post #8 of 49 Old 05-17-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TimHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystigiandoll View Post
Ah ha, not sure how i missed that being it was right in front of my face but when I was checking specs elsewhere I assumed it did not do 3D which apparently it does!
Yeah was super excited to see the 3D capability as well.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
TimHuey is online now  
post #9 of 49 Old 05-17-2019, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 111
as mentioned above, will have to wait for the new mount to arrive before i can install / set it up correctly, but i couldn't resist at least plugging it in in an effort to get a first impression... here's what it looked like out of the box, without touching any settings, the chain is pc > vertex (hd fury) > lumagen pro > projector... so it's a shot of my in-progress ht desktop, icons expanded because of the change is rez...

altho the room looks pitch black, it really isn't, there's a little bit of ambient light and, frankly, the camera doesn't do the colors / image justice, in person it looks like a giant led flat screen, ha ha, razor sharp and vibrant.

the screen is a 145" wide (not diag) 2.39:1, carl's flexi-white, the plan is to paint it a light rejecting gray per mississippiman's alr paint formula, prob is i haven't pulled the trigger yet because i just haven't been bowled over by any light rejection screens i've seen, painted ot alr fabric, they just mess with the whites and colors too much for my taste, altho they certainly do help in ambient light.

anyway this thing is bright and colorful out of the box, haven't paid any attention to the blacks yet (altho i've never been one to hand-wring over "black floors" and the like), i'm pretty excited about dialing it in once the mount arrives and i can center it on the screen, will post shots of vids when i get a chance.

i did play with the manual horizontal and vertical shifts a bit given i've never had a pj that offered these features, both directions work very well and really open up the possibilities in terms of positioning flexibility, altho i have to say i found the dials a bit clunky/plasticy, was expecting more of a precision dial feel i guess, but the feel is far from that, and rather than stop when the max is reached, the dials can still be turned but "skip" giving you the sensation that you've stripped the thread, kinda weird... but, again, they work perfectly well and do what what they're intended to do.

i made note of the physical dimensions of the unit before i purchased it, but wasn't fully prepared for what those measurements would look like in person, it absolutely dwarfs the benq ht1085st it will replace, but it's relatively light, much lighter than the dell s718ql ust that i returned (which was built like a sherman tank), which will make the overhead install much easier.

speaking of the dell, i first thought that the ust nature of the unit would allow for easy / flexible installation, just center it close to the screen and voila, but that wasn't my experience at all, instead i found it to be very tough to position just right, it was a pain, and i also found the large size of it very distracting in front of and close to the screen, above or below (especially above)... of course this can be mitigated by a custom credenza or the like if positioned below the screen... the dell also has a blinding white, then blue, splash screen (that lasts far too long and can't be turned off or adjusted in the settings) when turning on, when switching sources, and when auto switching between hdr/sdr modes, in fact that alone became a deal breaker for me, while the onscreen menu was all but worthless in terms of setting options, i was left with the impression that the unit was definitely a presentation pj trying to be positioned as a ht pj.

i get none of that from the lk953st (even tho benq describes it, and lists it, along with their other lk models, as an "installation pj), it feels like a ht pj, especially when you start to mine through it's familiar onscreen menu options that include ht-type settings, and it does not suffer from any of the horrid splash screen issues that the dell suffers from... also, i've decided that i'm just not ready for a giant box positioned directly in front of my screen a la ust, a preference thing no doubt, much prefer the overhead install for my particular environment.

btw, benq has been great, just got off the phone with one of their tech guys who just returned from installing a few lt953st at the carnegie observatory in pasadena, said everyone loved the pj's, and were blown away by the image brightness / quality in ambient light, told me i was going to love it... asked him about rec 709 coverage and he confirmed 95%, same as the lk952 and lk970, mentioned that the lk990 was a bit lower... he also told me that the lk models were great for ht use and, i quote, "they're jvc and sony killers, everyone in the industry knows it..." ha ha... of course after hearing this i had to mention the avs forum, which he knew quite well, and tell him about the black level debates, and he laughingly admitted that the lk's probably wouldn't match jvc / sony blacks, altho the lk blacks were impressive given the technology, and that a lot more went into producing a great image than black levels, made sense to me.

anyway, will post again once it's installed.



aeneas01 is offline  
post #10 of 49 Old 05-17-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TimHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Very Nice, THanks for the pics and the report from the installer. The projector is a little pricey for my budget so that might limit me to a painted screen as well. Although I do like Screen Innovations motorized adjustable ratio screen, just need it to come down to under $2K, maybe Black Friday deal or a coupon.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
TimHuey is online now  
post #11 of 49 Old 05-17-2019, 03:00 PM
Member
 
mystigiandoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks for the report aeneas01! I know one of the main contentions with the LK990 is the lockout of color options depending on settings whereas the LK970 seems to not have the same limitations, curious where this one falls.
mystigiandoll is online now  
post #12 of 49 Old 05-19-2019, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 111
mounted my projector (altho i'm not happy with the mount, will change it soon) which gave me a chance to center everything and play around with some settings... below are a few pictures, 4k hdr rips, my apologies for the below average photo quality, which doesn't do the actual quality of the projected images justice, what can i say, lousy camera on my phone!

one thing i discovered while mining through the projector's settings is that you can select different color gamuts including bt.2020, dci-p3, which i found odd given the projector is rated at 95% of rec 709... whatever the case, each of these choices definitely changes the image color, dci-p3 worked best for most of the hdr vids i watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystigiandoll
Thanks for the report aeneas01! I know one of the main contentions with the LK990 is the lockout of color options depending on settings whereas the LK970 seems to not have the same limitations, curious where this one falls.
i don't recall being locked out of a lot color settings, even with an hdr signal, for example, under the "picture" setting, brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness plus a host of advance options are unlocked when the pj receives an hdr signal.... i know that my lumagen pro locks out some settings when it receives a 4k signal, for example darbee can't be used as well as a few other settings.

anyway, this thing is a keeper, i won't be sending it back, the difference between this and my 1080p benq short throw is night and day, altho i really did thoroughly enjoy my1080p projector.... one of the things that's great about the lk953st (and other laser pjs?) is that skin tones are so much more natural compared to my 1080p, which often produced blotchy, overly ruddy looks, especially in faces... this pj also excels when it comes to live tv, including sports, so much better than my 1080p.

btw, i have a question for any of you that use an htpc... when i set windows 10 to hdr (lock it in for everything as opposed to just turning it on when i watch hdr vids), my lg oled looks absolutely fantastic but the projector's desktop (and everything but hdr vids) looks washed out.... i know this is a common prob / complaint, but i'm wondering why my oled doesn't get washed out too? i was hoping that i could fix this with my vertex and/or lumagen but no love, and when i take both out of the chain and hook my htpc directly up to the pj it's the same thing... to be clear, this isn't a pj prob, it's a prob lots of folks experience, was just wondering why the prob doesn't show up with my oled?






DunMunro likes this.
aeneas01 is offline  
post #13 of 49 Old 05-20-2019, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 280
This sounds like a very interesting projector. On the lamp based BenQ 4K projectors, that were similarly restricted to ~95% of REC709, changing the colour space changed the way that the projector remapped the source colours to Rec709.
DunMunro is online now  
post #14 of 49 Old 05-24-2019, 08:29 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
....... he also told me that the lk models were great for ht use and, i quote, "they're jvc and sony killers, everyone in the industry knows it..." ha ha... of course after hearing this i had to mention the avs forum, which he knew quite well, and tell him about the black level debates, and he laughingly admitted that the lk's probably wouldn't match jvc / sony blacks, altho the lk blacks were impressive given the technology, and that a lot more went into producing a great image than black levels, made sense to me.......

You better get ready to duck the slings and arrows about to come your way for making such a blasphemous statement like that!
Dave Harper is offline  
post #15 of 49 Old 05-24-2019, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
This sounds like a very interesting projector. On the lamp based BenQ 4K projectors, that were similarly restricted to ~95% of REC709, changing the colour space changed the way that the projector remapped the source colours to Rec709.
gotchya, that makes sense....

i was pulled away from setting up / dialing in my pj but have been back at it for a couple of days and, frankly, i'm about to loose my marbles given all of the possible setting combinations involved in my setup, i just can't figure out the best approach, especially in terms of watching my hdr ripped library.

my chain is htpc > vertex > lumagen pro > pj (the vertex acts as a 4k splitter that also feeds my 4k tv).

i read that a good approach would be to feed the lumagen pro raw hdr metadata and let the lumagen do the hdr tone mapping, and just turn off the windows 10 hdr feature (toggle), but i couldn't get potplayer + madvr to pass the data, is there another way to do it?

i thought i was good to go with the plex desktop app, the hdr logo lit up on my hdr tv when i streamed an hdr rip and atmos passed through beautifully, but i then read that plex's mpv player doesn't pass through hdr, that it does subpar tone mapping, and that i should use mpc-hc + madvr, but i wasn't thrilled with the plex add-on for kodi, nor could i get the mpc-hc + madvr to work smoothly (apparently too much for my nuc8i7)... moreover, with the plex desktop app, i couldn't really tell exactly what was going on, was plex and/or mvp handling the hdr tone mapping when when i selected an hdr rip to play (fullscreen), or was windows 10's hdr mode kicking in? if the latter, does did it override mpv player's tone mapping?

can you tell i'm new to this stuff?

anyway, i just want to be able to play my hdr rips and watch some streaming services in hdr, at the best quality as possible given my equipment, doesn't seem like that much to ask, but what a friggin' journey it's been! what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper
You better get ready to duck the slings and arrows about to come your way for making such a blasphemous statement like that!
i wasn't the one that made that statement, was just passing along what i was told, poor form to kill the messenger, no?
aeneas01 is offline  
post #16 of 49 Old 05-24-2019, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,717
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5493
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
gotchya, that makes sense....

i was pulled away from setting up / dialing in my pj but have been back at it for a couple of days and, frankly, i'm about to loose my marbles given all of the possible setting combinations involved in my setup, i just can't figure out the best approach, especially in terms of watching my hdr ripped library.

my chain is htpc > vertex > lumagen pro > pj (the vertex acts as a 4k splitter that also feeds my 4k tv).

i read that a good approach would be to feed the lumagen pro raw hdr metadata and let the lumagen do the hdr tone mapping, and just turn off the windows 10 hdr feature (toggle), but i couldn't get potplayer + madvr to pass the data, is there another way to do it?

i thought i was good to go with the plex desktop app, the hdr logo lit up on my hdr tv when i streamed an hdr rip and atmos passed through beautifully, but i then read that plex's mpv player doesn't pass through hdr, that it does subpar tone mapping, and that i should use mpc-hc + madvr, but i wasn't thrilled with the plex add-on for kodi, nor could i get the mpc-hc + madvr to work smoothly (apparently too much for my nuc8i7)... moreover, with the plex desktop app, i couldn't really tell exactly what was going on, was plex and/or mvp handling the hdr tone mapping when when i selected an hdr rip to play (fullscreen), or was windows 10's hdr mode kicking in? if the latter, does did it override mpv player's tone mapping?

can you tell i'm new to this stuff?

anyway, i just want to be able to play my hdr rips and watch some streaming services in hdr, at the best quality as possible given my equipment, doesn't seem like that much to ask, but what a friggin' journey it's been! what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger, right?
Hi, what format are you primarily working with for the HD rips, MKV, ISO or BDMV folders? Is your lumagen the latest version that can dynamic tone mapping? If mainly MKV you may want to consider picking up an inexpensive 4K media player like the Nvidia Shield. These can play back the UHD MKV's with full HDR passthrough + ATMOS/DTS-X sound -> Lumagen Pro DTM ->Projector.

The Nuc8i7 isn't going to be powerful enough for the MadVR dynamic tone mapping with the built in Intel iris graphics. My current HTPC is an I9 9900K / 1080Ti, it does an excellent job handling MadVR but it's a monster of a PC. The main requirement is the graphics card, GTX1060 as a baseline or higher.
zombie10k is online now  
post #17 of 49 Old 05-24-2019, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Hi, what format are you primarily working with for the HD rips, MKV, ISO or BDMV folders? Is your lumagen the latest version that can dynamic tone mapping? If mainly MKV you may want to consider picking up an inexpensive 4K media player like the Nvidia Shield. These can play back the UHD MKV's with full HDR passthrough + ATMOS/DTS-X sound -> Lumagen Pro DTM ->Projector.

The Nuc8i7 isn't going to be powerful enough for the MadVR dynamic tone mapping with the built in Intel iris graphics. My current HTPC is an I9 9900K / 1080Ti, it does an excellent job handling MadVR but it's a monster of a PC. The main requirement is the graphics card, GTX1060 as a baseline or higher.
hey, thank you so much for your reply...

> my backed up hdr library is almost exclusively mkv, and just a handful of iso.

> i thought i had researched the heck out of the nuc8i7 and found that it would have no prob handling my hdr files, with a madvr + one of their recommended players, and madvr's hdr passthrough option (to the lumagen)... but i can't seem to get madvr passthrough to work with any of the recommended players, was told that it was probably a driver issue and given a link, which led to more links, 99% of which discussed nvidia driver issues... in short, couldn't find any concrete intel driver solutions.

> i actually started with a shield tv pro, still have it, but i just didn't like the android tv environment / gui, even rooted it so that i could install non-tv apps and get a better gui experience (i've since reset it to stock as i was going to just sell it)... while using it i discovered that it had its own set of playing back and streaming issues as well... for example, i was told that you couldn't get the plex to passthrough raw hdr metadata even with a shield, that the mpv player still came into play and did it's own tone mapping thing... and if iirc the shield can't pass atmos for netflix, and another service too.... but if the shield can indeed play back my library better than the nuc, i'd certainly be up for swapping it in.
aeneas01 is offline  
post #18 of 49 Old 05-24-2019, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,717
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5493
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
hey, thank you so much for your reply...

> my backed up hdr library is almost exclusively mkv, and just a handful of iso.

> i thought i had researched the heck out of the nuc8i7 and found that it would have no prob handling my hdr files, with a madvr + one of their recommended players, and madvr's hdr passthrough option (to the lumagen)... but i can't seem to get madvr passthrough to work with any of the recommended players, was told that it was probably a driver issue and given a link, which led to more links, 99% of which discussed nvidia driver issues... in short, couldn't find any concrete intel driver solutions.

> i actually started with a shield tv pro, still have it, but i just didn't like the android tv environment / gui, even rooted it so that i could install non-tv apps and get a better gui experience (i've since reset it to stock as i was going to just sell it)... while using it i discovered that it had its own set of playing back and streaming issues as well... for example, i was told that you couldn't get the plex to passthrough raw hdr metadata even with a shield, that the mpv player still came into play and did it's own tone mapping thing... and if iirc the shield can't pass atmos for netflix, and another service too.... but if the shield can indeed play back my library better than the nuc, i'd certainly be up for swapping it in.
In my setup, mpc-hc + madvr + HDR passthrough works ok with the Nvidia card. I wonder if you are running into a limitation of the intel graphics set or drivers.

If you still have the Shield, I would update it to latest version and give it a go. Kodi is running at 18.2 and UHD MKV's work with no issues passing through HDR + metadata. it's not doing any kind of tone mapping, it's just straight pass through. At least give it a try with the Lumagen pro DTM and see if you can get a good baseline.

you are correct the shield doesn't have ATMOS support for Netflix. It's odd they chose specific hardware for it, Apple TV, Xbox One, Windows 10 PC and it's been verified on the Panasonic UB820 UHD player as well.

Keep us posted on your progress.
zombie10k is online now  
post #19 of 49 Old 05-25-2019, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
In my setup, mpc-hc + madvr + HDR passthrough works ok with the Nvidia card. I wonder if you are running into a limitation of the intel graphics set or drivers.

If you still have the Shield, I would update it to latest version and give it a go. Kodi is running at 18.2 and UHD MKV's work with no issues passing through HDR + metadata. it's not doing any kind of tone mapping, it's just straight pass through. At least give it a try with the Lumagen pro DTM and see if you can get a good baseline.

you are correct the shield doesn't have ATMOS support for Netflix. It's odd they chose specific hardware for it, Apple TV, Xbox One, Windows 10 PC and it's been verified on the Panasonic UB820 UHD player as well.

Keep us posted on your progress.
thank you again for your very helpful reply....

yes, my lumagen pro has the latest firmware + dynamic tone mapping...

for hdr passthrough do you recommend that i go with kodi, kodi + plex-kodi-connect, or the plex android app? or are there even more alternatives (have been out of the android loop for a while)? thanks again.

edit: is there a way to cast my hdr files from my pc to a chromecast ultra connected to the lumagen in a manner that will send the lumagen the raw hdr metadata?

Last edited by aeneas01; 05-25-2019 at 01:19 AM.
aeneas01 is offline  
post #20 of 49 Old 05-25-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,717
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5493
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
thank you again for your very helpful reply....

yes, my lumagen pro has the latest firmware + dynamic tone mapping...

for hdr passthrough do you recommend that i go with kodi, kodi + plex-kodi-connect, or the plex android app? or are there even more alternatives (have been out of the android loop for a while)? thanks again.

edit: is there a way to cast my hdr files from my pc to a chromecast ultra connected to the lumagen in a manner that will send the lumagen the raw hdr metadata?

I would just use straight Kodi, with the latest Shield update it's running Kodi 18.2. I have it connected to my Synology NAS with ~50TB of storage and it works great with UHD MKV's and passing HDR.

I have not heard of the chromecast being able to stream UHD content with the hdr metadata. The Shield definitely can, they updated it a few months ago and I verified it with the Vertex that the metadata was matching mediainfo on the file.
zombie10k is online now  
post #21 of 49 Old 05-26-2019, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I would just use straight Kodi, with the latest Shield update it's running Kodi 18.2. I have it connected to my Synology NAS with ~50TB of storage and it works great with UHD MKV's and passing HDR.

I have not heard of the chromecast being able to stream UHD content with the hdr metadata. The Shield definitely can, they updated it a few months ago and I verified it with the Vertex that the metadata was matching mediainfo on the file.
just blew the dust off my shield tv pro and ran the update, some very nice changes imo in terms of customizing the home screen, which was one of my biggest gripes when i last visited the shield... for example i'm not a gamer, but in the past the shield gui screamed gaming and wouldn't let you hide a lot of the gaming related stuff, and it seemed to push a lot of other products as well that you couldn't really hide.... anyway, much better now.

so kodi and not spmc? and kodi definitely over plex (because i'm assuming plex plays with hdr tone mapping even using the shield as opposed to passing through the hdr metadata?).

thanks again.
aeneas01 is offline  
post #22 of 49 Old 06-01-2019, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I would just use straight Kodi, with the latest Shield update it's running Kodi 18.2. I have it connected to my Synology NAS with ~50TB of storage and it works great with UHD MKV's and passing HDR.
well shield + kodi definitely passes through hdr, pro is it's kind of clunky on my end, when i choose an hdr file from within kodi the screen goes black for 30+ secs, and again goes black for 30+ secs when i close the file... during the "blackout" the file is streaming, so i miss the into logos (pixar, disney, universal, etc.), no big deal, but it's not very elegant... also, kodi seems a bit laggy after i close an hdr file... do you see any of these symptoms?
aeneas01 is offline  
post #23 of 49 Old 06-01-2019, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 111
not the highest quality video, but i'm posting it just to give folks an idea of how bright the projector is, how it does in ambient light with a white screen... sure wish i had a bunch of uninterrupted time to commit to getting everything set up once and for all, but that hasn't been the case, still not dialed in, keep getting pulled away!


Last edited by aeneas01; 06-01-2019 at 01:51 PM.
aeneas01 is offline  
post #24 of 49 Old 06-01-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,717
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5493
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
well shield + kodi definitely passes through hdr, pro is it's kind of clunky on my end, when i choose an hdr file from within kodi the screen goes black for 30+ secs, and again goes black for 30+ secs when i close the file... during the "blackout" the file is streaming, so i miss the into logos (pixar, disney, universal, etc.), no big deal, but it's not very elegant... also, kodi seems a bit laggy after i close an hdr file... do you see any of these symptoms?
That seems like an excessively long sync time. The JVC I'm using takes about 12-13 seconds to sync with UHD HDR content and the shield. I didn't see any lag after exiting the movie. . What resolution do you have the Shield set to by default? Ideally it should be native UHD res 3840x2160 so it doesn't have to jump back to 1080P for the Kodi GUI.

Did you try the Shield directly to the projector without the lumagen and see how long it takes to sync?
zombie10k is online now  
post #25 of 49 Old 06-01-2019, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
That seems like an excessively long sync time. The JVC I'm using takes about 12-13 seconds to sync with UHD HDR content and the shield. I didn't see any lag after exiting the movie. . What resolution do you have the Shield set to by default? Ideally it should be native UHD res 3840x2160 so it doesn't have to jump back to 1080P for the Kodi GUI.

Did you try the Shield directly to the projector without the lumagen and see how long it takes to sync?
yes, that was my first thought, the lumagen, so i tried it both ways, identical results... re shield res, i started with native and then tried about a half dozen more, nothing made a difference... i'm wondering if i have my kodi settings right? what are your kodi settings, and are you using 18.2? thanks again!
aeneas01 is offline  
post #26 of 49 Old 06-06-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TimHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Any more owners or calibrators of this projector want to come forward with some reviews. It's such a new projector looks like we only have one owner present. Would love to hear some side by side reviews against other projectors.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
TimHuey is online now  
post #27 of 49 Old 06-06-2019, 12:38 PM
Member
 
mystigiandoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 37
@Ruined Do you know anything about this or what to expect, is it basically a LK990? I am also really interested in some measurements, native contrast, any sort of smart eco or DI and how well that works along with how much of Rec709 it covers.
mystigiandoll is online now  
post #28 of 49 Old 06-06-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TimHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
One spec sheet I read said it only covered 95% of rec 709 where some projectors now days are above 100% and and implementing P3. That was a little disappointing. I'd like to see it side by side with a wider color gamut projector.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.

Last edited by TimHuey; 06-06-2019 at 10:29 PM.
TimHuey is online now  
post #29 of 49 Old 06-06-2019, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystigiandoll View Post
@Ruined Do you know anything about this or what to expect, is it basically a LK990? I am also really interested in some measurements, native contrast, any sort of smart eco or DI and how well that works along with how much of Rec709 it covers.
I haven't seen one, but AFAIK, it is similar to the Acer VL7860 in terms of weight and dimensions. and about 1/2 the weight of a LK990.
DunMunro is online now  
post #30 of 49 Old 06-07-2019, 06:56 AM
Member
 
mystigiandoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Problem with color space beyond rec 709 is that DLP's usually need a filter in front to achieve P3 which cuts the light drastically so for my usage which is a large screen its just one of the sacrifices that i'm willing to make. I am more curious how it actually calibrates and how close it actually gets to 709. Projector Reviews never posted any measurements, I wonder if they took any?

aeneas01 are you using it smart eco mode? Is that the only mode that does Dynamic Contrast?
mystigiandoll is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off