1Likes
  • 1 Post By Archibald1

post #1 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony VW760ES or JVC NX9BE?

I am upgrading from a Sony VW550ES, and these are the two choices available to me in India. While doing a comparison, it was not clear whether the Sony accepts a 4K 60Hz 12 bit signal at 4:4:4 whereas it seems the JVC can. It is probably a theoretical point at best, but since I am spending a good chunk of money, may as well go for a better spec. The JVC also seems to have a better lens, somewhat like the 870ES.

Also, the 760ES is now end of life and the local guys cant tell me when the 870ES will come.

The flip side is that all my remote macros will remain unchanged with the Sony, and since it is end of life I can probably get a good price.

I mostly watch NF/PV. My equipment per signature.

Does any one have an opinion? And is anyone able to confirm the signal question?

Thanks

Trinnov into Dan D'Agostino Momentum into Wilson Alexx. Anthem 525 and Monitor Audio for Surrounds and Ceiling. Paradigm Sub 2. Sony VPL-VW550ES throwing on a Screen Research 123" screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankar_v View Post
I am upgrading from a Sony VW550ES, and these are the two choices available to me in India. While doing a comparison, it was not clear whether the Sony accepts a 4K 60Hz 12 bit signal at 4:4:4 whereas it seems the JVC can. It is probably a theoretical point at best, but since I am spending a good chunk of money, may as well go for a better spec. The JVC also seems to have a better lens, somewhat like the 870ES.

Also, the 760ES is now end of life and the local guys cant tell me when the 870ES will come.

The flip side is that all my remote macros will remain unchanged with the Sony, and since it is end of life I can probably get a good price.

I mostly watch NF/PV. My equipment per signature.

Does any one have an opinion? And is anyone able to confirm the signal question?

Thanks
Hi.
The Sony most certainly does accept 4K 50/60hz 12bit at the maximum chroma level permitted by HDMI 2.0 which is at 4:2:2. The JVC will be no different.
They can both accept 4K 4:4:4 12bit up to 30hz.

The lens on the NX9 will be superior to the 760, but the lenses on the 760 are not rubbish as they may seem to be portrayed by some on here.
They are very good lenses, but they are simply not *as* good as the 870/NX9 items.

Whilst the NX9 (and 870) have reference quality optics, one must not overlook the inherent stability and colour volume of the laser on the 760. It makes for a much better viewing experience, especially if you are sensitive to micro flicker that bulbs produce.

The 760 is not yet end of life but it is expected that it will be superseded by a new model around October/November time this year. Remember also the 760 comes with 3 years warranty as standard.

You can wait and wait to buy tech and end up never getting anything. So I wouldn't worry about buying either of these now as they are both superb units that will not fail to impress.

Have fun choosing!
JohnnyWilkinson likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 05-20-2019 at 04:06 AM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 7 Old 05-19-2019, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi.
The Sony most certainly does accept 4K 50/60hz 12bit at the maximum chroma level permitted by HDMI 2.0 which is at 4:2:2. The JVC will be no different.
They can both accept 4K 4:4:4 12bit up to 30hz.

The lens on the NX9 will be superior to the 760, but the lenses on the 760 are not rubbish as they may seem to be portrayed by some on here.
They are very good lenses, but they are simply not *as* good as the 870/NX9 items.

Whilst the NX9 (and 870) have reference quality optics, one must not overlook the inherent stability and colour volume of the laser on the 760. It makes for a much better viewing experience, especially if you are sensitive to micro flicker that bulbs produce.

The 760 is not yet end of life but it is expected that it will be superseded by a new model around October/November time this year. Remember also the 760 comes with 3 years warranty as standard.

You can wait and wait to by tech and end up never getting anything. So I wouldn't worry about buying either of these now as they are both superb units that will not fail to impress.

Have fun choosing!
Thank you very much for an immediate and comprehensive reply

Regards

Trinnov into Dan D'Agostino Momentum into Wilson Alexx. Anthem 525 and Monitor Audio for Surrounds and Ceiling. Paradigm Sub 2. Sony VPL-VW550ES throwing on a Screen Research 123" screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-20-2019, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you very much for an immediate and comprehensive reply

Regards
You are most welcome.

It is a nice dilemma to be in for you!

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-20-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 11652 Post(s)
Liked: 9215
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
I would read the results of the shootout between the RS3000 and the VW995, keeping in mind that the 760 is not quite as good of a projector as the 995. In this shootout, both projectors were calibrated by Kris Deering, so a level playing field. Read what the viewers had to say along with what Kris had to say. Start with post 125. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57979442

From the shootout, as far as color:
"The JVCs had the best color reproduction / saturation, with subtle shadings that were missing from the two Sonys. Both JVCs looked almost identical in this regard, which is not surprising when you look at the numbers:

JVC DLA-RS3000 and DLA-RS2000 (tie): measured at 99.8% of the P3 / DCI color gamut, color filter in place.

The Sony VPL-VW995ES: measured at 90% of the P3 / DCI color gamut.

The VPL-VW695ES: measured slightly lower at 89% of the P3 / DCI color gamut."

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 05-20-2019 at 06:22 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-20-2019, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I would read the results of the shootout between the RS3000 and the VW995, keeping in mind that the 760 is not quite as good of a projector as the 995. In this shootout, both projectors were calibrated by Kris Deering, so a level playing field. Read what the viewers had to say along with what Kris had to say. Start with post 125. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57979442

From the shootout, as far as color:
"The JVCs had the best color reproduction / saturation, with subtle shadings that were missing from the two Sonys. Both JVCs looked almost identical in this regard, which is not surprising when you look at the numbers:

JVC DLA-RS3000 and DLA-RS2000 (tie): measured at 99.8% of the P3 / DCI color gamut, color filter in place.

The Sony VPL-VW995ES: measured at 90% of the P3 / DCI color gamut.

The VPL-VW695ES: measured slightly lower at 89% of the P3 / DCI color gamut."
Thank you.

I have in the end decided in favour of the JVC. Mainly because it seems to ahve a better lens, but also because the Sony is apparantly being replaced by a new version in fall.

Regards

post #7 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you.

I have in the end decided in favour of the JVC. Mainly because it seems to ahve a better lens, but also because the Sony is apparantly being replaced by a new version in fall.

Regards
That is by no means certain, but historically they replace a model every two years, so it is highly likely.

The NX9 indeed has a much superior lens to the 760, so in that decision you are on to a winner.

Nice choice. Enjoy it.

Stephen Hawking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page