Anyone have their ceiling mounted projectors plugged into a UPS? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mattztt

post #1 of 13 Old 05-23-2019, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Fox

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone have their ceiling mounted projectors plugged into a UPS?

My outlet is in the ceiling right behind my mount at the moment I just have a small surge protector (single outlet) , the last several days we've gotten several < 1 s brownouts which is frustrating. (not even all devices lose power, but some do). I was looking at UPS (uninterruptible power supply) surge protectors with the battery backups, I'd need 2-3 to cover all my devices/locations but I'm not sure what to do about the projector the ones I find all seem to be too large to put up there I was curious if something exists that would be useful?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-23-2019, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 354
My UPS is in my rack and I run a short extension cord from it to an "inlet" (opposite of an outlet - see below) in the wall next to it. That is connected with a run of 12/2 Romex in my wall to the outlet in the attic where my projector is plugged in.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61H6I92ku+L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	2570862  
Craig Peer likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-23-2019, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
Fox

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was considering something like that I need to get a 4k cable installed maybe I'll have them pull an extension cord through with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-23-2019, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I was considering something like that I need to get a 4k cable installed maybe I'll have them pull an extension cord through with it.
Be aware that it's against code to run low voltage and high voltage in the same conduit and additionally if you run a signal cable parallel to a power cable you can get RF interference in the signal. A fiber optic HDMI cable may protect against this if you don't have any choice.

Additionally, some electricians as well as some inspectors are skeptical of the power inlet. It's an unusual fixtures and there's disagreement about whether it's use is is consistent with the NEC. I ran the wire myself and just covered the box with a blank plate for inspection and then installed my inlet afterwards.

Running a plain extension cord through the wall would definitely be against code as most extension cords are not rated for in-wall use.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-23-2019, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 79
As an outlet it's fine according to a custom cable company I talked to. Try to get a double male cable and it's against whatever safety standard they go by. If you could do a double male power cable then you could just use a standard female socket. They charge a hefty premium for that male outlet over a female one.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 Old 05-23-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6611 Post(s)
Liked: 7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
Be aware that it's against code to run low voltage and high voltage in the same conduit and additionally if you run a signal cable parallel to a power cable you can get RF interference in the signal. A fiber optic HDMI cable may protect against this if you don't have any choice.

Additionally, some electricians as well as some inspectors are skeptical of the power inlet. It's an unusual fixtures and there's disagreement about whether it's use is is consistent with the NEC. I ran the wire myself and just covered the box with a blank plate for inspection and then installed my inlet afterwards.

Running a plain extension cord through the wall would definitely be against code as most extension cords are not rated for in-wall use.
I too use an extension cord from my Panamax M1500-UPS-PFP through a port in the wall into my projector closet. For in wall / ceiling, one could just use Romex and put a plug on the UPS end to plug into the power conditioner, and an outlet on the projector end. Or a box with a extension cord " pigtail " on the UPS end. That should satisfy code.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-23-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 413
no. but my cabinet sitting projector is plugged into a UPS as is the DVR, Receiver and all goodies.. UPS = no missed anything :-)

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #8 of 13 Old 05-24-2019, 04:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Is there such a thing as a power cord or extension cord that is rated for in wall use?

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #9 of 13 Old 05-25-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Is there such a thing as a power cord or extension cord that is rated for in wall use?
There is no cord that is allowed by code to even be passed thru a hole in a wall (room to room) let alone run inside a wall.

The proper way is to use an inlet in the equipment area where many things will be plugged into the battery backup power conditioner and an outlet on the end closest to the projector. These two things will be wired together with romex in compliance with code. A short pig tail is then used to plug into the conditioned power and the inlet.

If you want to run an extension cord it would be allowed in a wire raceway that is 100% accessible for the whole length. This is what I did for my projector power. I built an open wire raceway from my equipment to my projector and it holds my extension from the power conditioner and also my communication cables for the signals to the projector.

Bud
post #10 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 01:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I am using a Furman F1500 UPS with my projector
post #11 of 13 Old 07-04-2019, 10:36 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Is their any problem with using a home made extension cable using Romex and running that through the wall to a projector? I have not done it, but during a hurricane several years ago here in the Houston area when we lost power for a few days, I made up a couple of Romex extension cords to run to a gas generator on the back porch to power up a few things in the house.

John Dixon
post #12 of 13 Old 07-04-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-NUT-99 View Post
Is their any problem with using a home made extension cable using Romex and running that through the wall to a projector? I have not done it, but during a hurricane several years ago here in the Houston area when we lost power for a few days, I made up a couple of Romex extension cords to run to a gas generator on the back porch to power up a few things in the house.
It would work, but would not be to code. In a pinch putting a hardware store plug on the end of some romex and running it to your neighbors house to keep your furnace going in a blizzard is what people do. Something like a projector is a thought out installation and the cost of an inlet to do it right is a small cost. I would take it one step more and label the inlet and outlet covers so there was no mistake in the future what it was.

Someone posted above using two outlets and then making a male/male patch cord to power the outlet. That would in no way be to code and the patch cord is an electrocution waiting to happen not to mention if it got plugged into a live outlet powered off the other side of the 240v circuit. The male end is on the non power side for a reason.

Bud
post #13 of 13 Old 07-05-2019, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
My outlet is in the ceiling right behind my mount at the moment I just have a small surge protector (single outlet) , the last several days we've gotten several < 1 s brownouts which is frustrating. (not even all devices lose power, but some do). I was looking at UPS (uninterruptible power supply) surge protectors with the battery backups, I'd need 2-3 to cover all my devices/locations but I'm not sure what to do about the projector the ones I find all seem to be too large to put up there I was curious if something exists that would be useful?
Can the UPS pass the correct code to the PJ to tell it to shut down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page