JVC N5, 540 or Sony 295 for darkish living room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By m0j0
  • 1 Post By 12GAGE
  • 1 Post By Mike Garrett
  • 1 Post By 12GAGE
  • 1 Post By 12GAGE

post #1 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 14
JVC N5, 540 or Sony 295 for darkish living room

107 inch 16:9 screen 12.3 seeting distance
Netflix 4K from chromecast. No tonemapping. No bluray 4k.
Darkish living room with mostly brown surfaces.
Pure white screen no gain.

Have rs420 now, but starts to see banding issue. And i have to use frameinterpolation/CMD/whatever its called.

Priority from earlier projectors like 420, hw40es and different good dlp prior to that, in order: Contrast, Darkness, Brightness, Motionhandling/noise/engine stuff, perciewed sharpness, panel resolution.

Really liked the Reality creation of earlier Sony.
Dont use dynamic iris.

Projector must be white, so n7 not relevant.

I had no problem with getting good HDR on the 420 by just changing some basic tonemapping in the 420 setup. I only use Netflix so it seems to me that makes it more simple.

How is the contrast and black on the Sony vs my current 420 (without using di)?

What pj do you think i should get and why?

Is it correctly understood i can use same mounting for the n5 as the 540 (420)?

Last edited by krumme; 05-26-2019 at 04:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 361
I understand the new JVC's are really good, including the N5, but I haven't seen them in person so can't really speak to them. I do have a Sony 695ES, which would be very similar to the 295, and I have to say that I have been impressed with it so far. I use my 695 with a Panasonic 820, including watching 4k blu rays and watching Netflix and the 820 handles all the tone mapping amazingly well on this projector. The 695 does everything well, including contrast, black levels, motion handling, noise reduction/sharpness, upscaling, etc. and has fantastic full 4k resolution. I believe what everyone will recommend to you is that at retail prices, you are better off going with the new JVCs, but if you can get a deal on a 295 or 695 used, you should definitely consider it.
krumme likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 381
In my opinion, these are all good options. The N5 is probably a has a bit more calm image vs. the 540. It is a solid unit with good native contrast and good color control. I have always been more partial to sony’s Image though. I think it has been more stable with better motion resolution than JVC in general. With the latest generation I would probably go for the N5 and it’s better black level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krumme View Post

Have rs420 now, but starts to see banding issue. And i have to use frameinterpolation/CMD/whatever its called.

Priority from earlier projectors like 420, hw40es and different good dlp prior to that, in order: Contrast, Darkness, Brightness, Motionhandling/noise/engine stuff, perciewed sharpness, panel resolution.

Dont use dynamic iris.

I had no problem with getting good HDR on the 420 by just changing some basic tonemapping in the 420 setup. I only use Netflix so it seems to me that makes it more simple.

krumme likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 11651 Post(s)
Liked: 9213
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Dont use dynamic iris.

You listed 4K streaming. Any 4K HDR streaming is tone mapping. Depends on your budget. The RS1000 is the best of the three, but most expensive. The 295 gets you a well rounded projector, for less money than the 1000. The 540 may be hard to find these days, but it will have the best black level. 540 throws an excellent streaming image, but you will have to deal with some lag.
krumme likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
You listed 4K streaming. Any 4K HDR streaming is tone mapping. Depends on your budget. The RS1000 is the best of the three, but most expensive. The 295 gets you a well rounded projector, for less money than the 1000. The 540 may be hard to find these days, but it will have the best black level. 540 throws an excellent streaming image, but you will have to deal with some lag.
Ahh ok - thank you. I will only use streaming. I ask because i dont know if the quality of the netflix 4k streaming is enough to show 4k benefit vs eshift5 at my seeting distance of 12.3 at a 107 screen?
post #6 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
I understand the new JVC's are really good, including the N5, but I haven't seen them in person so can't really speak to them. I do have a Sony 695ES, which would be very similar to the 295, and I have to say that I have been impressed with it so far. I use my 695 with a Panasonic 820, including watching 4k blu rays and watching Netflix and the 820 handles all the tone mapping amazingly well on this projector. The 695 does everything well, including contrast, black levels, motion handling, noise reduction/sharpness, upscaling, etc. and has fantastic full 4k resolution. I believe what everyone will recommend to you is that at retail prices, you are better off going with the new JVCs, but if you can get a deal on a 295 or 695 used, you should definitely consider it.
Thanx. Do youu use some of the contrast enhancing features of the Sony?

I am in EU and the 540 is 4000 euro. The 295 is 4700 and the n5 is approx 6000 euro.

To get a dead do I just call the dealers?
post #7 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
In my opinion, these are all good options. The N5 is probably a has a bit more calm image vs. the 540. It is a solid unit with good native contrast and good color control. I have always been more partial to sony’s Image though. I think it has been more stable with better motion resolution than JVC in general. With the latest generation I would probably go for the N5 and it’s better black level.
Ok. Where can I find teat that shows the contrast of the n5 vs the 295?
To me it looks like the measured contrast is more or less the same. Beats me how Sony got there.
I am sure the n5 is sharper but I am also quite sure I cant see it.
I understand what you mean by a calm picture and I really value that too but in my experience black and contrast always pops to my head.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

The JVC’s will be king of the black and contrast area. Sound and Vision magazine (review online) tested a 295 and got 4,500:1 native contrast. Not sure if the NX5 has review numbers out there but in the same setup I would guess the NX5 would be in the 15k:1 range native. Seeing an NX5 I would think it would around that or higher.

Quote:
Quote:
Ok. Where can I find teat that shows the contrast of the n5 vs the 295?
To me it looks like the measured contrast is more or less the same. Beats me how Sony got there.
I am sure the n5 is sharper but I am also quite sure I cant see it.
I understand what you mean by a calm picture and I really value that too but in my experience black and contrast always pops to my head.
krumme likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
The JVC’s will be king of the black and contrast area. Sound and Vision magazine (review online) tested a 295 and got 4,500:1 native contrast. Not sure if the NX5 has review numbers out there but in the same setup I would guess the NX5 would be in the 15k:1 range native. Seeing an NX5 I would think it would around that or higher.

I think my nx5 measured around 20,000 to 24,000 native depending on the mode.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok. That means my current rs420 is about the same as the nx5 or what? And the Sony is a third. If so that definitively rule out the Sony. I will not settle for less contrast than my current projector 4k laser whatnot.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 11651 Post(s)
Liked: 9213
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Ok. That means my current rs420 is about the same as the nx5 or what? And the Sony is a third. If so that definitively rule out the Sony. I will not settle for less contrast than my current projector 4k laser whatnot.
Yes contrast on the NX5 and the RS420 should pretty much be the same.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Thanx. Do youu use some of the contrast enhancing features of the Sony?

I am in EU and the 540 is 4000 euro. The 295 is 4700 and the n5 is approx 6000 euro.

To get a dead do I just call the dealers?

I do typically use dynamic contrast on medium, but sometimes switch to high or low depending on the source. I am no expert, but I believe the 695es/570es can hold it's own with regard to contrast against the N5 for sure, and possibly even the N7 with both units calibrated. Black levels may be a step down, but again, if you can get the 695es/570es for several thousand less than the N7, I would say go for it. I got mine used (it was about 3 months old with a couple hundred hours on it)and have been very happy with it.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-26-2019, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Not surprised at all. To me the NX5 is a steal. From my viewing the native black looked to be very good. Black level reminded me of my Sony VW1100 if not slightly better. I am glad to see the measured out that high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Quote:

I think my nx5 measured around 20,000 to 24,000 native depending on the mode.
ultra 150 pilot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page