Very Odd HDMI or Projector to Receiver Issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-04-2019, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,929
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Very Odd HDMI or Projector to Receiver Issue

Edit - Now (mostly) Resolved

My issue was self-resolved, I will leave this here in case anyone else comes across this. Very important to check your receiver video settings when setting up a new projector, because it may be adding CA looking halos around HTPC text due to Chroma conversion issues (and my Denon avr-x3400h doesn't seem to take any setting correctly - whether RGB, YcBcRc422, or 444 color). It looks similar to a CA or convergence error even when it is NOT actually that issue. I fixed the problem by turning Video processing OFF and setting the receiver to game mode to minimize lag and reduce processing. The side effect is that I lost my volume osd.

------------------------------------------

Resolved Issue

My Denon receiver was adding a 'CA LIKE' effect to text on my HTPC. Taking the receiver out of the equation 100% eliminates the issue. Pictures are below. Receiver is a Denon avr-x3400h. I added this receiver just a few months ago, but I guess I hadn't used my HTPC that much until lately so I didn't really notice it.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 06-07-2019 at 12:23 AM.
coderguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 06-04-2019, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,929
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Images of the Chroma Issue below...

Denon Receiver adding outline around Small HTPC Text
(the blue & yellow looks like a camera error, but it's not)


Without Receiver (Direct Nvidia to Projector)


Both images are exaggerated as is usual with a cheap camera, but it makes the point.
I can see the error from seating distance, text looks perfectly sharp when removing the Denon.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 06-07-2019 at 12:27 AM.
coderguy is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 06-04-2019, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,929
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Well I did fix the issue by turning the video conversion off, but the side effect is that I will no longer get the VOLUME OSD when I change the volume. The menus still work as far as osd since it re-handshakes and now only applies processing while you are in the menu.

That's very weird that anytime I enable the volume osd I get the halo around HTPC text. Wow, I'm at a loss of words unless my receiver is 'mildly defective'. However, even if it is, I'm not sending it back for that, I'll just live without the volume osd rather than live with a halo.

My Onkyo nr-676 doesn't have that issue, maybe should have stuck with the Onkyo despite the slightly harsher trebles and vocals.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 06-04-2019 at 11:21 PM.
coderguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 06-05-2019, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,241
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4418 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Well I did fix the issue by turning the video conversion off, but the side effect is that I will no longer get the VOLUME OSD when I change the volume. The menus still work as far as osd since it re-handshakes and now only applies processing while you are in the menu.

That's very weird that anytime I enable the volume osd I get the halo around HTPC text. Wow, I'm at a loss of words unless my receiver is 'mildly defective'. However, even if it is, I'm not sending it back for that, I'll just live without the volume osd rather than live with a halo.

My Onkyo nr-676 doesn't have that issue, maybe should have stuck with the Onkyo despite the slightly harsher trebles and vocals.
Is there a network API you can use? Then perhaps you can control receiver volume and display it in your own HUD inside windows. This is the approach I'd be taking at least. I suspect you may be capable of it as well.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is online now  
post #5 of 9 Old 06-05-2019, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,929
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
There are options, but all I have to do is turn my head to the right to see the volume on the receiver, but I am pretty lazy.
However, I still watch movies mostly on Bluray and Roku and not on MadVR.
So we'll see...

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 06-06-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,681
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6557 Post(s)
Liked: 7581
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
There are options, but all I have to do is turn my head to the right to see the volume on the receiver, but I am pretty lazy.
However, I still watch movies mostly on Bluray and Roku and not on MadVR.
So we'll see...
I decided to run video directly to my RS4500 from my Lumagen and bypass my Denon entirely. So that's what I do - just turn around and set the volume at the beginning of the movie. Easy enough. I moved my X8500 to eye level. No question now whether the receiver is affecting the picture.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #7 of 9 Old 06-07-2019, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,929
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
The problem is a Chroma error but this just shouldn't be happening with a Vanilla 1080p NVIDIA > Receiver > Projector setup. The receiver is trying to force convert the Chroma regardless of whether I send it RGB, 422, or 444 color from the NVIDIA Card.

I mean this issue makes zero sense overall, this is something that should have been resolved by 2010, not on a 2018 Denon receiver.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 06-07-2019, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
talon95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,504
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
The problem is a Chroma error but this just shouldn't be happening with a Vanilla 1080p NVIDIA > Receiver > Projector setup. The receiver is trying to force convert the Chroma regardless of whether I send it RGB, 422, or 444 color from the NVIDIA Card.

I mean this issue makes zero sense overall, this is something that should have been resolved by 2010, not on a 2018 Denon receiver.

I have it off on my older Denon too (x2200 I think). For 4k HDR, I could never get anything but a pink colored image. Kinda annoying.
talon95 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 06-07-2019, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,984
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
I have it off on my older Denon too (x2200 I think). For 4k HDR, I could never get anything but a pink colored image. Kinda annoying.
When you think about what HDMI was supposed to be, a convenient and high bandwidth combined AV interface designed to reduce the number of cables required, then it makes it laughable that there are so many issues with it and that so many choose (or have) to do separate connections to avoid any video issues.

HDCP is the spawn of the devil as well....

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Archibald1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off