Smaller HT need 'Short Throw'? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By DunMunro
  • 1 Post By DaveyMac

post #1 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Smaller HT need 'Short Throw'?

I just got a home that has a HT built in it. Literally my dream come true. It already has some older Epson installed. As you can see room is quite small so projector does not have a far distance to screen. Current screen is 100" but I'm thinking I might make it bigger since it clearly could be. I have a A/V company coming out to give me advice. But they often have agendas... so....

You guys that know a lot more about this than me, here are my questions:

What would be the best projector for a room like this? I'm used to a very well calibrated LG OLED 65"... so I def want the projector I get to be a VERY good 4K picture.

Room completely closes so maybe crazy high lumens aren't as important? Any suggestions on lowest priced projector that will give me HDR, Dolby Vision, 4K?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
I just got a home that has a HT built in it. Literally my dream come true. It already has some older Epson installed. As you can see room is quite small so projector does not have a far distance to screen. Current screen is 100" but I'm thinking I might make it bigger since it clearly could be. I have a A/V company coming out to give me advice. But they often have agendas... so....

You guys that know a lot more about this than me, here are my questions:

What would be the best projector for a room like this? I'm used to a very well calibrated LG OLED 65"... so I def want the projector I get to be a VERY good 4K picture.

Room completely closes so maybe crazy high lumens aren't as important? Any suggestions on lowest priced projector that will give me HDR, Dolby Vision, 4K?
Spoiler!
You may want to add throw distance and budget.

No projectors support DV.

Last edited by willieconway; 06-17-2019 at 03:34 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 274
The key dimensions are distance from back wall to the screen and ceiling height. It is hard to comment without that data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm very interested in this thread as well. I'm building a 16'x13' HT, and have been looking at the JVC NX5 / X790. I've been reading all of the recent threads debating the two

However, when throw distance is going to be max 14' for a 120~130" screen, it seems like we're not in the sweet spot for projector characteristics.

Taking the JVCs as example, will the short throw mean too bright an image and reduced contrast, or would all of the various settings and DI make this irrelevant (or prioritize the x790 for its advanced features -- unfortunately the N7 is a cost too far for me). Curious if I'm even close in my thought process. Even more curious if you think there are other projectors that are better suited to these type of room setups!
post #5 of 11 Old 06-17-2019, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

I find a 143in screen actually too small for 4K content when sitting at ~12ft. More lumens is always better for 4K HDR PJs. Also using a fixed screen is a bad idea IMHO, as it become a limiting factor if one decides to change PJs. A painted wall allows more freedom in using multiple PJs.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
I find a 143in screen actually too small for 4K content when sitting at ~12ft. More lumens is always better for 4K HDR PJs. Also using a fixed screen is a bad idea IMHO, as it become a limiting factor if one decides to change PJs. A painted wall allows more freedom in using multiple PJs.
Judging by OPs pictures, he and I would be challenged to get >140" with typical projector throws, wouldn't we? I used ProjectorCentral calculator on a few of the models I was looking at, and I top out around 135" at 14' throw.

Would UST be an interesting option for this situation? We could likely get up to 150" 16x9, but I don't know how great their image is when compared to normal projectors when in a HT dark room. The brightness would certainly be improved.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackbus View Post
Judging by OPs pictures, he and I would be challenged to get >140" with typical projector throws, wouldn't we? I used ProjectorCentral calculator on a few of the models I was looking at, and I top out around 135" at 14' throw.

Would UST be an interesting option for this situation? We could likely get up to 150" 16x9, but I don't know how great their image is when compared to normal projectors when in a HT dark room. The brightness would certainly be improved.
Assuming 14ft, an Epson HC5050 (IE, a direct replacement for the OP's existing unit) would give a 143in 16x9 image according the Projector Central calculator. There are a number of shorter throw, designs available that would put 143in or larger images on the screen at 14ft. For example the BenQ LK953, which would work well with a lower gain grey screen but there would be compromises in other areas.
DaveyMac likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Assuming 14ft, an Epson HC5050 (IE, a direct replacement for the OP's existing unit) would give a 143in 16x9 image according the Projector Central calculator. There are a number of shorter throw, designs available that would put 143in or larger images on the screen at 14ft. For example the BenQ LK953, which would work well with a lower gain grey screen but there would be compromises in other areas.
I measured and the lens of current 1080 Epson projector is 12.5 feet from screen. Seating area is 9 feet from screen. And screen measures 91" across.

Do you think Epson HC5050 good for this? And could I get bigger screen you think?
post #9 of 11 Old 06-21-2019, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
I measured and the lens of current 1080 Epson projector is 12.5 feet from screen. Seating area is 9 feet from screen. And screen measures 91" across.

Do you think Epson HC5050 good for this? And could I get bigger screen you think?
An Epson HC5050 will throw a 111in wide by 63in high (128in diagonal) image at 12.5ft according to Projector Central's calculator.

An Optoma UHD51ALV would throw a 124w x 70inH (142in diag) at 12.5ft (note: must be mounted inverted, probably from the ceiling)

A BenQ LK953ST would throw an image too large to be accommodated at 12.5ft. At 10ft (ceiling mounted) it could throw a 148inW by83inH (170in) image

The Optoma 4K550ST would throw a 148inW by 83inH (170in) image at 9.66ft (ceiling mounted). (Edit: this projector has a very restricted colour gamut = 75% of Rec.709)

I think the HC5050 would work well, although I only have experience with the HC5040, and it should have no problem with brightness on a 128in screen.

Last edited by DunMunro; 06-21-2019 at 01:02 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-22-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2015 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
@DaveyMac , First off congrats on the new house and the added bonus of it coming with a really nice HT. I have a few general comments on the room first. I really like how the room is oriented with a single long row and a closer seating distance for all. I am a person that finds immersion level very important and even more important than viewing angle, it is also more social and you are not dealing with risers and screen size limitation due to seeing over heads in front of you. So in that regard you have a great start. Your RLC speakers are nicely done in wall and the center is low enough to let you change screen sizes without doing too much. That’s another plus to what you have now. The room color is also perfect the carpet is ok also. I would strongly advise you to think about going darker on the ceiling as it will have a huge effect on your PQ going forward with new projectors. I understand the design idea behind the bright white trim and wall plates, door etc. but I would find them distracting also with the lights out.

Now about screen size and eventually a projector that supports the size and method of presentation you eventually end up with. I say presentation because with a 16:9 projector that they all are. It doesn’t mean motion pictures and all the rest of the streaming media we consume these days is intended to be shown as large as it can be on a 16:9 screen like you would with a TV you are used to. Projectors have the ability to zoom and change image size so you can do things like classic film presentation that use CIH (constant image height. Or you might want to embrace the IMAX movement in movies with movies like Aquaman or Dunkirk changing ARs between scope and IMAX and there is even a new standard coming out for the home market called IMAX Enhanced. An IMAX movie may be 1.89:1 and a flat movie may be 1.85:1 but they are not intended to be shown at the same immersion level. Likewise scope you have been watching for years under immersive on TV with black letterbox bars now can be shown correctly wider than a regular flat movie.

We don’t know what your likes are for immersion now and I will tell you 99% of people that just get into FP find within a couple months they wish they had went more immersive. Some people are fine with CIW (constant image width) like TV, but IMO once you see you can watch a movie like Dunkirk at IMAX like immersion levels you will be hooked by that aspect of FP. Some people watch streaming or even regular TV in their theaters we do every night, and no way is that content intended to be scope or IMAX immersive.

So before you jump into projector shopping take some time and think about presentation. There is a CIH forum with a lot of information also. The folks there don’t care much for the movement to IMAX but there is information there on alternate presentation methods.

One last question what is behind the wall behind the projector? If it is a room that the projector could be located in it is very effective way to add throw length and get the projector noise out of the theater.

Bud
post #11 of 11 Old 06-24-2019, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post

One last question what is behind the wall behind the projector? If it is a room that the projector could be located in it is very effective way to add throw length and get the projector noise out of the theater.
Sincere thanks for all the great info. I had A/V place come out and we've settled on Epson 5050, he's really trying to sell me 6050 but I just don't see what I'm getting for a grand more.

We are replacing screen with 120" (91" now).

Adding Atmos, two should be plenty for such a small room and then I don't have to screw around with external Amp on my NAD 758 V3.

I ordered more F18 Sealed Subs from Seaton so I will have two in front and three behind mlp = 5 sealed 18's , i'm thining that should be pretty good on bass. It's already good with just two I have hooked up.

** In answer to your question, there is a bar (liquor, part of house) behind wall with projector so I need to leave it there.

I'm going to raise height of front speaker as it's on the floor. And lower rears (way too high - like 6 feet in the air).

Thanks again!
bud16415 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page