Has anyone compared the Sony HW55ES to the HW65ES? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-20-2019, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Has anyone compared the Sony HW55ES to the HW65ES?

I currently have a Sony HW55ES that I am still extremely happy with but I like to look forward to the next upgrade. I tend to upgrade every couple years or so. I usually buy a used projector that is a generation or two newer than the one I have. I am still considering a JVC but since I have been so happy with the HW55ES I am considering the HW65ES. I had the Sony HW40ES before the HW55ES. In my opinion the HW55ES was a huge upgrade from the HW40ES. I am not ready to make the leap to 4K yet. I am going to wait a bit longer for it to mature.

Is the HW65ES a big enough upgrade to justify the cost and hassle?

I am looking at JVC as well mainly because I really miss having power zoom and focus. Although the lens has barely moved on the HW55ES. I only need to adjust it every few months or so and that is when I clean it anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-20-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5447 Post(s)
Liked: 5844
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
I currently have a Sony HW55ES that I am still extremely happy with but I like to look forward to the next upgrade. I tend to upgrade every couple years or so. I usually buy a used projector that is a generation or two newer than the one I have. I am still considering a JVC but since I have been so happy with the HW55ES I am considering the HW65ES. I had the Sony HW40ES before the HW55ES. In my opinion the HW55ES was a huge upgrade from the HW40ES. I am not ready to make the leap to 4K yet. I am going to wait a bit longer for it to mature.

Is the HW65ES a big enough upgrade to justify the cost and hassle?

I am looking at JVC as well mainly because I really miss having power zoom and focus. Although the lens has barely moved on the HW55ES. I only need to adjust it every few months or so and that is when I clean it anyway.
Hi, I've had the HW30,40,45,50, 55 & 65 here in my HT. There was very little, if anything different between the HW65 vs the HW55. same lumen output in low and high lamp, same color calibration controls, etc. They also measured the same native contrast ~6:000:1.

If you're looking at JVC, even the baseline RS400 from ~2016 would be a great upgrade to the HW55. It's nearly as bright in low lamp as the Sony is in high lamp. the lamps are stable and last a long time. Combined with a Panasonic UB820 UHD player, you'll get to experience some of the excellent looking UHD HDR movies out there. Keep an eye on the classified section of the forum.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-20-2019, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

delete

Last edited by beekermartin; 06-21-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-21-2019, 10:01 AM

@beekermartin - something happened to your post where the characters were jumbled but was able to read it on phone. To answer your question, the baseline JVC to start looking at is the RS400 (also called the X5000, same projector). This was a major shift for JVC to a much brighter projector than previous models and it also has full 18GB HDMI bandwidth which took other projector manufacturers a few years to catch up to. Follow up releases (RS420/RS440) had advances like lower lag time for gaming and better HDR curves for UHD content. Even with the later models, it's best to pick up the Panasonic UB820 for UHD HDR discs. It has built in tone mapping that can make setting up HDR relatively 'set it and forget it'.

take a look in classifieds, there are a few good opportunities:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-front-projector/

RS440 + mount + 3D transmitter, low hours @ ~700
RS400 + brand new bulb included + low hours @ 600

either one of those + the UB820 is going to be a major upgrade over the HW55, even with regular BD content since the UB820 does a great job scaling to UHD resolution.

for your AVR, the UB820 has 2 outputs. 1 for video, 1 for audio. you can use the old 1080P rated cable for audio and run a monoprice certified premium cable from UHD player -> projector. These are very inexpensive and guaranteed to work all the way up to 4K/60.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-21-2019, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

My phone post was unreadable so I deleted it. Some sort of glitch.

Since the HW65ES isn't much, if at all, of an upgrade I will look at JVC. What model is the furthest back you would consider? I know some years had 4K compatibility and lamp fluctuation issues.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-21-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
My phone post was unreadable so I deleted it. Some sort of glitch.

Since the HW65ES isn't much, if at all, of an upgrade I will look at JVC. What model is the furthest back you would consider? I know some years had 4K compatibility and lamp fluctuation issues.
Check the post above, let me know if you have any questions.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-21-2019, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
@beekermartin - something happened to your post where the characters were jumbled but was able to read it on phone. To answer your question, the baseline JVC to start looking at is the RS400 (also called the X5000, same projector). This was a major shift for JVC to a much brighter projector than previous models and it also has full 18GB HDMI bandwidth which took other projector manufacturers a few years to catch up to. Follow up releases (RS420/RS440) had advances like lower lag time for gaming and better HDR curves for UHD content. Even with the later models, it's best to pick up the Panasonic UB820 for UHD HDR discs. It has built in tone mapping that can make setting up HDR relatively 'set it and forget it'.

take a look in classifieds, there are a few good opportunities:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-front-projector/

RS440 + mount + 3D transmitter, low hours @ ~700
RS400 + brand new bulb included + low hours @ 600

either one of those + the UB820 is going to be a major upgrade over the HW55, even with regular BD content since the UB820 does a great job scaling to UHD resolution.

for your AVR, the UB820 has 2 outputs. 1 for video, 1 for audio. you can use the old 1080P rated cable for audio and run a monoprice certified premium cable from UHD player -> projector. These are very inexpensive and guaranteed to work all the way up to 4K/60.
I saw your response after I had posted again.

Thank you for the recommendation. I will do some research and keep my eyes open.

Running a new HDMI cable up to my projector will require a lot of sheet rock repairs. When I ran the HDMI and power cables up to my projector I didn't run them in conduit. I am kicking myself for that now. I doubt my current HDMI cable will work with 4K but you never know. It was the thickest HDMI cable made by Monoprice back in the mid 2000's. I doubt it will work though. My original projector was 720p. It handles 1080p/60 without any issues but full 4K requires a lot more bandwith. I have also considered upgrading my Marantz 8801 but it still works perfectly and sounds great.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-21-2019, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Do you do any gaming on the projector by chance? If so I would personally stick with the Sony line just because the input lag is so much better. Even the lower lag JVCs (like my RS2000) have noticeably higher lag than my old HW40ES (and I assume it is similar to the 55/65 in that regard).
post #9 of 9 Old 06-21-2019, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinEric View Post
Do you do any gaming on the projector by chance? If so I would personally stick with the Sony line just because the input lag is so much better. Even the lower lag JVCs (like my RS2000) have noticeably higher lag than my old HW40ES (and I assume it is similar to the 55/65 in that regard).
I don't do any serious gaming on my projector as of now. I play a few games on it with a Wii sometimes but nothing serious. I have a gaming PC and ultrawide monitor for gaming. I have tried gaming on my projector but I prefer a gaming monitor for higher refresh rates and G-sync.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page