Sub-$10k projector for this new theater - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #61 of 71 Old 06-27-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Hi, Mike. I also think your numbers are too low. I'm not sure how your're getting to 1520 lumens.

We also should not make the mistake of disregarding all of Markmon's post/analysis just because of a slip of the tongue on the BenQ's lumen output. He's right. If the BenQ is in Smarteco, the LED life will be extended.
Also worth noting also that the BenQ ht9060 will perceptually appear brighter than lamp projectors that measure the same due to led HK effect.

So you get high sustained [email protected], minimal hit w/p3 mode , and HK effect. Adds up to an impactful HDR experience even after thousands of hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 06-27-2019, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Two things :

1. My theater footprint (pre framing, acoustic treatment etc) will be 21’ long by 15’ wide. Just starting the layout phase, but I am aiming for two rows of 4 recliner seatings (riser for second row). hopefully the back row will be 24” off the rear wall. I haven’t calculated exactly, but I would estimate viewing distance if front row of about 10’feet. I would like 45-50’ horizontal viewing angle front row, so I’ll have to find a proper online calculator to figure out my screen size. I thought 110” diagonal would be good, but based on responses here probably need larger.

2. Seymour screen excellence. Isn’t B/M gain the important number ? Enlightor Bright and Neo are 1.1 and 1.0 respectively. Un B/M gain are the lower numbers I saw quoted (1.0, 0.8). What’s the difference ? Google was no help !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You haven't mentioned ceiling height and that's key factor as well.

I'd suggest that you paint the screen wall a light grey or white and leave the maximum possible space for your screen. Setup your projector and then experiment with screen sizes by projecting onto the wall. You can then order your screen with confidence that it's size you want.*

Here's an article about screen gain:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...reens_gain.htm
and another:
https://www.projectorsourcecanada.ca...EN%20GAIN.html

but I'm not sure that screen gain is being accurately described:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Jg6...20gain&f=false

*There are various paint formulations designed to give painted screens higher and lower gain characteristics, if you decide not to go with a screen. Not having a traditional fixed screen has a lot of advantages, not to mention the potentially reduced cost.
post #63 of 71 Old 06-27-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I think it comes down to a few things...

1. How long does he intend to keep the PJ?
2. How often will he use the PJ?
3. How well will the room as typically used preserve the PJs native contrast?
4. Does he want to deal with bulbs dimming, needing replacement and often recalibration for a top quality image (or that even matters to him)?
5. How much of a hard core gamer is he?

If the room has 100% light control with dark walls/floor/ceiling, he values gaming and doesn't mind replacing bulbs and recalibrating the PJ, the JVC is the easy winner.

If there is ambient light, bright walls, he doesn't want to deal with recalibration, he plans to keep it for a long time and gaming lag isn't a big deal, then the BENQ is the easy winner.

Of course most of life falls in the middle somewhere so it just depends on his preferences.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Krister
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 71 Old 06-27-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11803 Post(s)
Liked: 9343
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg View Post

4. Does he want to deal with bulbs dimming, needing replacement and often recalibration for a top quality image (or that even matters to him)?

If the room has 100% light control with dark walls/floor/ceiling, he values gaming and doesn't mind replacing bulbs and recalibrating the PJ, the JVC is the easy winner.

If there is ambient light, bright walls, he doesn't want to deal with recalibration, he plans to keep it for a long time and gaming lag isn't a big deal, then the BENQ is the easy winner.

Of course most of life falls in the middle somewhere so it just depends on his preferences.

I would be very surprised if you can calibrate an LED projector once and have it last the life of the projector or even, lets say, 5,000 hours. At one time that was the thought process regarding laser projectors and that was found to be, not true. Yes calibration should last a lot longer, but I am pretty sure it will not be a calibrate it once type display. I don't know of anybody that has checked this, so would be interesting to see results.
krholmberg likes this.
post #65 of 71 Old 06-27-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Woohoo!! Is everyone ready for the 4TH?!!! The weather's been fine too in my neck of the woods!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I would be very surprised if you can calibrate an LED projector once and have it last the life of the projector or even, lets say, 5,000 hours. At one time that was the thought process regarding laser projectors and that was found to be, not true. Yes calibration should last a lot longer, but I am pretty sure it will not be a calibrate it once type display. I don't know of anybody that has checked this, so would be interesting to see results.

Right. Yes, I agree.
post #66 of 71 Old 06-27-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:

...some good points, indeed.

Quote:
Let's not get carried away now. The HT9060 still would look better with more light control and darker colored walls. It still can do c. 5,000:1 dynamic contrast down low and about/over 500:1 ANSI and you don't want to completely lose that.
post #67 of 71 Old 06-27-2019, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
...some good points, indeed.

Let's not get carried away now. The HT9060 still would look better with more light control and darker colored walls. It still can do c. 5,000:1 dynamic contrast down low and about/over 500:1 ANSI and you don't want to completely lose that.
All I meant is the higher on/off contrast of the JVC relative to the BENQ will be negated if the room isn't set up to maximize contrast. If one of the biggest selling points of the JVC is negated, then the main selling points of the BENQ become more relevent. Of course all PJs benefit from a properly set up room. In his case, I think if he has the ability to maximize contrast and low lag is important, the JVC is the better option. If he cannot control contrast well and lag isn't a big deal, then the BENQ is the better option.

Krister
post #68 of 71 Old 06-27-2019, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
That's a very good point. If the BENQ only needs to be calibrated once every 2500 hours that's still way better than a bulb. Think about how much the output of a bulb changes over the first 500 hours. It's hard to keep up on that unless you do it yourself... and that's a lot of effort even for the die hard. Only having to recalibrate every 2500-5000hrs would be a huge luxury.

Krister
post #69 of 71 Old 06-28-2019, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11803 Post(s)
Liked: 9343
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
All I meant is the higher on/off contrast of the JVC relative to the BENQ will be negated if the room isn't set up to maximize contrast. If one of the biggest selling points of the JVC is negated, then the main selling points of the BENQ become more relevent. Of course all PJs benefit from a properly set up room. In his case, I think if he has the ability to maximize contrast and low lag is important, the JVC is the better option. If he cannot control contrast well and lag isn't a big deal, then the BENQ is the better option.

I think you know this, but a higher contrast projector will always have a contrast advantage in every room. The advantage just increases as the room gets better. But, yes, higher contrast is less of a factor, as the room gets more and more ambient light.
post #70 of 71 Old 06-28-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1314
Quote:
That's a very good point. If the BENQ only needs to be calibrated once every 2500 hours that's still way better than a bulb. Think about how much the output of a bulb changes over the first 500 hours. It's hard to keep up on that unless you do it yourself... and that's a lot of effort even for the die hard. Only having to recalibrate every 2500-5000hrs would be a huge luxury.
I never have to calibrate my older JVC, except when I feel like it, usually every 3 lamps. The lamps don't vary the calibrations that much, since I have 4 custom calibrations I just pick one. More important is the gamma looking right than the color being perfect for my setup, the gamma will make everything look washed out, color being slightly off isn't optimal, but at least everything doesn't look all washed out.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #71 of 71 Old 07-05-2019, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I hate to say this. But after reviewing these 70 posts and pretty scientific AB comparisons. The JVC wins. The Sony has 10 ms better input lag but that is it. Auto tone mapping makes a huge difference in movie watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page