JVC RS440U’s or Epson 6050 ub dilema - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 07-02-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
At the time if I could have got a few deal on an x7900 I would have probably have got it but even with the best price I find the difference was £1650 ($2080) and frankly I question if it’s worth it.
In a fully treated room as you indicate, it likely would be. Though it would lack the dual iris solution of its siblings the almost 4 fold increase in native contrast would impossible not to see.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 07-02-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1314
The big advantage for contrast to the higher series is mostly on really muddy (think horror like) dark scenes, and a bit less pumping with the DI. Both those issues are reduced regardless of the room treatments. There is some advantage to space scenes and even brighter mixed scenes, but it's not as drastic.

Contrary to popular belief, you can actually see the difference of Native Contrast easier in an untreated room than a treated room. This is because the white walls reflect light increasing the white and black the same, so it's essentially an exponential effect that's easy to see, but even if you brightness match you can still see it.

Of course that only applies to looking at an all black image. When you start looking at actual mixed images (everything we watch), the intrascene contrast suffers from the untreated room, so unless you are watching really 'muddy horror' movies where it's almost pitch black, or watching a fully black image, the two projectors will only look different in very specific content in an untreated room.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 07-02-2019 at 01:20 PM.
post #33 of 40 Old 07-02-2019, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
In a fully treated room as you indicate, it likely would be. Though it would lack the dual iris solution of its siblings the almost 4 fold increase in native contrast would impossible not to see.
Gordon actually felt the money would be better spent on a secondhand Lumagen than the JVC and after seeing what difference adding the Lumagen into mix made I would have to agree.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Radiator)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 07-02-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Gordon actually felt the money would be better spent on a secondhand Lumagen than the JVC and after seeing what difference adding the Lumagen into mix made I would have to agree.
I should have answered that better with more detail. The pricing difference on the outgoing e-shift JVCs vs the 5050 should've been less than $1000 USD (probably closer to $500-700). If the best deal you could find on the entry level JVC e-shift was a $2000 USD premium then it wasn't worth it. That's more than the street price difference between the NX5 and 5050 here in the States.

post #35 of 40 Old 07-02-2019, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
I should have answered that better with more detail. The pricing difference on the outgoing e-shift JVCs vs the 5050 should've been less than $1000 USD (probably closer to $500-700). If the best deal you could find on the entry level JVC e-shift was a $2000 USD premium then it wasn't worth it. That's more than the street price difference between the NX5 and 5050 here in the States.
I can understand why stateside JVC has such a vice like grip on you guys, over here they are quite expensive compared to most including Sony.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Radiator)
post #36 of 40 Old 07-08-2019, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi Today finally I was to see both projectors. I have put my findings under more appropriate threat please go and see since it may be useful to some.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/#/topics/3064260
post #37 of 40 Old 07-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilema View Post
Hi Today finally I was to see both projectors. I have put my findings under more appropriate threat please go and see since it may be useful to some.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/#/topics/3064260?page=7
That doesn't seem to be a valid URL.
post #38 of 40 Old 07-09-2019, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Works. Scroll down.
post #39 of 40 Old 07-09-2019, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Works. Scroll down.
It shows the forum master topics index and not a link to a topic or specific post.
post #40 of 40 Old 07-10-2019, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Quote:
Works. Scroll down.
It shows the forum master topics index and not a link to a topic or specific post.
Ok then I paste my final conclusion;

I finally went to one of the best dealers in my city. They didn’t have R440 anymore so they showed me RS540 and TW9400 (6050ub).
We have compared few movies only UHD. It was in dedicated room, dark everything no ambient light. 120 inch frame grey screen. (3m wide)
So I have spent 3+ hours looking at picture from both projectors. JVC was new straight from the box as well as TW9400. JVC was in the default HDR mode high lamp slightly tuned by the dealer guys who were definitely JVC fans. I noticed they put some dark details setting quite far right.
Epson I had the remote so it was in natural mode high lamp HDR at 2or 3 slightly decreased brightness setting to improve blacks I liked stepping down one click on the Color temperature on some movies.
Results: JVC has Better blacks but only in dark scenes. While blacks are better same time there was less shadow details on JVC what bothered me. However night sky on Life of Pi looked much better on JVC. The day scenes though looked better on Epson due to better brightness of whites and colours. Epson picture was much more 3D I had impression the action is happening next to me. On JVC it was darker and I wasn’t as much part of the action.
Colors onJVC were much more natural but Epson colors were more vibrant, live.
On mixed scenes the contrast of Epson was fantastic. HDR bright parts of picture were very strong while dark parts were really dark. JVC was much flatter on these type of scenes due to luck of power to make bright parts of the screen coming out as it was the case for other projector. On these scenes blacks were not better on JVC and more or less in pair with TW9400. What I Have noticed the solder cups from Billy Lyns Long Halftime Walk on the cementary scene on JVC were a bit greenish not entirely black while on Epson they were definitely black nothing else. Generally I felt a bit of green thing in JVC.
Sharpness perceived from viewing distance was similar basically very good. Close to the screen on Epson you see pixels but no noise. OnJVC you see no pixels but very visible noise -like little ants running on the screen;-). I was told it is normal. However final effect is similar. Both equally sharp and very good.
Fan noise was similar however while on JVC was constantly the same on Epson it was generally quieter as projector makes it quieter based on actual brightness of the on screen scene. Since there are not many full brightness scenes fan was quieter than JVC most of the time. But not silent.
I believe Epson had generally noisier picture than JVC. JVC paused images were cleaner. But while on movie it was not much visible.
So based on my review I prefer Epson due its much much better HDR experience to me. Also better brightness gives to me more pleasure in watching than better blacks in dark scenes. Colors of Epson are also great but different than JVC. I think this is some taste thing.
Oh and I was expecting really great blacks from JVC based on all of these great reviews on that point. Like inky blacks. Then forget it. This is far from OLED blacks. Better than Epson by maybe 2 gamma clicks but it is still dark grey. Not really black. And only on dark scenes.
Bottom line even if equally priced to me I would choose Epson. Ideal would be Epson TW9400 with JVC black level. That would be a dream machine to me.
So instead of reading of tonnes of internet like I did before the best is to spend some good time with projectors and assess based on personal taste.
After today I know I will exchange my older Panny 8000 to Epson and I will power up my 150 inch screen with very nice pop HDR.
DunMunro and Luminated67 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP