is 700 Hours high use for a projector? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AveryN

post #1 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
is 700 Hours high use for a projector?

I'm building out my theater in my new house. I have a guy who has a JVC DLA-X990 as a 'demo' unit with 700 hours that will come with a 3 year warranty. He is a retailer for JVC. I can also buy a new, full warranty DLA-X790R for $4000 (last one available from an authorized JVC dealer... probably gone after today).

Would you be hesitant to buy a projector with 700 hours? Given this, would the 990 or 790 be a better option?

Edit: I forgot to mention the price on the used 990.... $4,800. What would you do?

Thanks!

Last edited by AveryN; 07-05-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Adding price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6621 Post(s)
Liked: 7698
Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryN View Post
I'm building out my theater in my new house. I have a guy who has a JVC DLA-X990 as a 'demo' unit with 700 hours that will come with a 3 year warranty. He is a retailer for JVC. I can also buy a new, full warranty DLA-X790R for $4000 (last one available from an authorized JVC dealer... probably gone after today).

Would you be hesitant to buy a projector with 700 hours? Given this, would the 990 or 790 be a better option?

Thanks!
If the price is right, with a 3 year warranty, I'd say 700 hours is no problem. See if he will sell you a spare lamp at a reduced cost as part of the deal.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:

Thanks!
I would think of the projector with 700 hours on it as a quality car that you bought that has 30,000 miles on it. You just let somebody test drive it for a couple of years and let them eat the depreciation and then you get to enjoy it for another 5 to 7 years without having to pay full price. Then again I am a guy who loves buying used cars. I don't know what the price you're getting for the x990 is but that is a pretty amazing projector.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention the price on the used 990.... $4,800. What would you do?
post #5 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention the price on the used 990.... $4,800. What would you do?
MSRP when first brought to market was around $8K. I personally would go with the used 990 especially since you are being provided a warranty. Have you considered any of the new True 4k JVC projectors?

post #6 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks -- my original planned budget was around $3500, so I'm looking to spend the cost of a new true 4k JVC. The sales guy I spoke to about the 790 indicated that the best pricing they historically gave on the 990 was about $6,000. That makes me think that the $4,800 is a bit high on a used 990 with 700 hrs.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
The real answer is will you be allowed to demo / see it before you buy?

If yes, then it might be worth it, check the lens carefully and look for bright corners. This stuff is still somewhat of a gamble with how good of a sample you get. If it's a bad sample, then $4800 is a total rip-off. However, even if it is a good sample, I probably just get the newer JVC rather than risk it, but depends.

$4,800 is a bit high for a used 990.

Edit
Personally, I'd offer no more than $4000 for the used 990, and that is ONLY if I can see it, otherwise the 790 is basically the same projector and you have better odds of getting a good sample with a new JVC rather than used. Used projectors (including 'supposed' floor models) are often ones that were returned or ones that had an issue that the dealer decided to keep from a return to use as a floor model. I know this because I have seen several b-stock and returned JVC's, and many many of them had lens issues. So be very careful buying used JVC's, as people love to flood the used market with bad samples. It's almost more dangerous to buy a used JVC from a dealer than an individual believe it or not.

700 hours is nothing for a JVC, they generally last 15k hours or more. I know several people that put 10k to 15k hours on it, I am approaching 10k hours on an older one myself.

If it were an LCD, I would say 50 hours is too much

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #8 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
The real answer is will you be allowed to demo / see it before you buy?

If yes, then it might be worth it, check the lens carefully and look for bright corners. This stuff is still somewhat of a gamble with how good of a sample you get. If it's a bad sample, then $4800 is a total rip-off. However, even if it is a good sample, I probably just get the newer JVC rather than risk it, but depends.

$4,800 is a bit high for a used 990.

Personally, I'd offer no more than $4000 for the used 990, otherwise the 790 is basically the same projector.

700 hours is nothing for a JVC, they generally last 15k hours or more. I know several people that put 10k to 15k hours on it, I am approaching 10k hours on an older one myself.

If it were an LCD, I would say 50 hours is too much
+1

Everything that @coderguy said.

post #9 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts. This guy builds home theaters and is a general contractor, and I'm hiring him as a consultant in building out my theater. He had this installed in his personal theater in his home theater and invited us over to see his theater and watch some movie snippets. He's pretty particular about his setup, so I don't think he would have it as a sub-par unit... he doesn't have a retail storefront. Unfortunately, I wasn't looking for any defects at that time, and don't have an eye trained to spot them. It was pretty darn awesome, from my layman's perspective, though I'd think that of other lesser products too.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts. This guy builds home theaters and is a general contractor, and I'm hiring him as a consultant in building out my theater. He had this installed in his personal theater in his home theater and invited us over to see his theater and watch some movie snippets. He's pretty particular about his setup, so I don't think he would have it as a sub-par unit... he doesn't have a retail storefront. Unfortunately, I wasn't looking for any defects at that time, and don't have an eye trained to spot them. It was pretty darn awesome, from my layman's perspective, though I'd think that of other lesser products too.
I would think that if you are hiring him as a consultant in your home theater build and he is a general contractor that he would not want you to be dissatisfied with your projector. Since it sounds like you have already been to his house for a viewing even if he is no longer using his projector maybe you can ask him to reinstall it so you can examine it more closely.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page