Projector recommendations for Newbie - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-06-2019, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Projector recommendations for Newbie

I am nearing my home theater and looking at which projector to put in.
I am hoping that someone here can help recommend a projector that fits my needs with a price tag of $8,000 or less.
I looked at the Sony VPLVW385ES and it looks like a great unit however I am wondering if I can get better value with some other make or model.

The two main criteria that I have are a motorized lens setting and 4K HDR and of course a great picture quality.

Any suggestions to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-06-2019, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F View Post
I am nearing my home theater and looking at which projector to put in.
I am hoping that someone here can help recommend a projector that fits my needs with a price tag of $8,000 or less.
I looked at the Sony VPLVW385ES and it looks like a great unit however I am wondering if I can get better value with some other make or model.

The two main criteria that I have are a motorized lens setting and 4K HDR and of course a great picture quality.

Any suggestions to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
JVC NX7/RS2000 would be my first choice with that budget. True 4K. Brilliant HDR Auto Tone Mapping. What size screen? What screen material? What will be your throw distance? How far back will be you main seating position? Room lighting and ambient light reflections issues?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 Old 07-06-2019, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
JVC NX7/RS2000 would be my first choice with that budget. True 4K. Brilliant HDR Auto Tone Mapping. What size screen? What screen material? What will be your throw distance? How far back will be you main seating position? Room lighting and ambient light reflections Jq issues?

Thank you. for answering.

I will doing a 120 inch AT screen. I have yet to choose the brand.
The main seating position will be 8 feet back with a second row behind. The room can be completely dark or any kind of light as all lighting is dimmed. (New house build).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 01:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:

The main seating position will be 8 feet back with a second row behind. The room can be completely dark or any kind of light as all lighting is dimmed. (New house build).
When you say the room can be completely dark are you treating the walls/ceiling with some form of velvet and the floor with black carpet. Point I’m trying to make is you are throwing serious money into a projector and without treating the room you won’t get remotely close to said projector’s true potential.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Radiator)

Last edited by Luminated67; 07-07-2019 at 04:01 AM.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
When you say the room can be completely dark are you treating the walls/ceiling with some form of velvet and the floor with black carpet. Point I’m trying to make is you are throwing serious money into a projector and without treating the room you won’t get remotely close to said projector’s true potential.
I agree that room reflections back onto the screen should be minimized as much as possible either by addressing the room or the screen. There are some really great ambient light reducing screens. They will affect color accuracy slightly but can significantly increase contrast and black level performance that is being negatively affect by reflection from painted walls and ceilings. Your screen size should be compatible with the JVC NX7 mentioned earlier. Anything over 135 inches for a 16×9 screen and I might have some reservations about the lumens output of the JVC. That is when the room reflections could really require a gray screen to improve contrast and black level performance.

post #6 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11803 Post(s)
Liked: 9343
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

With 8' viewing distance, I would go with RS2000 and Any of these screens: Seymour UF, Screen Excellence NEO or DreamScreen V6. I would also make sure the room has dark walls and ceiling. Does not have to be black velvet, but you want to minimize the reflections as much as possible.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
With 8' viewing distance, I would go with RS2000 and Any of these screens: Seymour UF, Screen Excellence NEO or DreamScreen V6. I would also make sure the room has dark walls and ceiling. Does not have to be black velvet, but you want to minimize the reflections as much as possible.
+1

I would listen to Mike. When it comes to AV he is always one of the smartest guys in the room.

post #8 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I found ceiling to have the greatest affect on contrast, I’m sure there are non-reflective paints out there but probably way more expensive than velvet.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Radiator)

Last edited by Luminated67; 07-07-2019 at 07:47 AM.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I’m also trying to get some recommendations for projector setups. I’m not sure my room is suitable for anything crazy high end. It’s just a 600sqft bonus room above the garage. Has 3 windows which I can do my best to black out for daytime use. Room has carpet and white walls(can paint darker if need be). Planned on using a Sonos surround sound system if possible. Mostly used for movies and football games.

What are yalls thoughts on projectors and screens?
post #10 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11803 Post(s)
Liked: 9343
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I found ceiling to have the greatest affect on contrast, I’m sure there are non-reflective paints out there but probably way more expensive than velvet.
It depends on what is closest, ceiling or side walls. In my family room setup, the 17' high white ceiling does not hurt the image too much. But if the room had an 8' white ceiling that was only a few inches from the screen, then it would have a huge effect on the image.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsas7536 View Post
I’m also trying to get some recommendations for projector setups. I’m not sure my room is suitable for anything crazy high end. It’s just a 600sqft bonus room above the garage. Has 3 windows which I can do my best to black out for daytime use. Room has carpet and white walls(can paint darker if need be). Planned on using a Sonos surround sound system if possible. Mostly used for movies and football games.

What’s the high of ceiling, does the room have walls the same height as the ceiling.

I’m guessing the fact it’s a bonus room means you can do your walls and ceiling any colour, ideally black velvet is used because of its non-reflective nature but if you don’t really want to go down the path then maybe an ambient light reflecting screen would be a better option, though they are costly.

post #12 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 379
If you like Sony, keep an eye out for a used 695ES, it’s very comparable to a JVC NX7, though if you are buying new, the NX7 would be the smarter buy.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsas7536 View Post
I’️m also trying to get some recommendations for projector setups. I’️m not sure my room is suitable for anything crazy high end. It’️s just a 600sqft bonus room above the garage. Has 3 windows which I can do my best to black out for daytime use. Room has carpet and white walls(can paint darker if need be). Planned on using a Sonos surround sound system if possible. Mostly used for movies and football games.

What’️s the high of ceiling, does the room have walls the same height as the ceiling.

I’️m guessing the fact it’️s a bonus room means you can do your walls and ceiling any colour, ideally black velvet is used because of its non-reflective nature but if you don’️t really want to go down the path then maybe an ambient light reflecting screen would be a better option, though they are costly.

My ceilings in that room are 9FT.
post #14 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Don't forget about Sony's contrast degradation problem Rsas.

Just in case you missed it.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...4k-panels.html

Last edited by JeffR1; 07-07-2019 at 05:38 PM.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am doing a stretch fabric star ceiling. The material will be a black matt finish and I am told is not reflective. I have yet to choose a carpet but will be a darker color but not black.

I am also going to do fabric walls with sound panels for acoustics as I plan on an atmos sound system.

The couches are a dark gray but have yet to choose the wall fabric.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks I will look at the RS2000
post #17 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Don't forget about Sony's contrast degradation problem Rsas.

Just in case you missed it.

The thread was started in 2015. I take it that they haven't resolved the issue yet?
post #18 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The thread was started in 2015. I take it that they haven't resolved the issue yet?
Read from page 72 and onward.

In my opinion, no, it hasn't been resolved yet.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...panels-72.html
post #19 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Read from page 72 and onward.

In my opinion, no, it hasn't been resolved yet.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...panels-72.html
I read through the other post but there doesn’t seem to be any clear ruling on whether this is still an issue or not, as some with 385es’s with lots of hours on them have posted that they have not experienced the problem. I have a 695es with about 300 hours and so far, no problems as well.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
I read through the other post but there doesn’t seem to be any clear ruling on whether this is still an issue or not, as some with 385es’s with lots of hours on them have posted that they have not experienced the problem. I have a 695es with about 300 hours and so far, no problems as well.
I just thought it best to bring this up so the OP can make an informed decision.

If your 695es is doing well, then that's great, I know I was told Sony did take steps in quality control, so maybe it solved the problem.
post #21 of 21 Old 07-07-2019, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
If you like Sony, keep an eye out for a used 695ES, it’s very comparable to a JVC NX7, though if you are buying new, the NX7 would be the smarter buy.
695ES is only priced compatible to the NX7 but its far closer to an NX5.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page