post #1 of 19 Old 07-17-2019, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Open Box JVC DLA-X590R

Hi folks.

I found an open box JVC DLA-X590R at my local Best Buy Magnolia. Haven't seen it yet (going tomorrow to demo it) but the sales guys said it was a demo model and only has a few hundred hours on the lamp. They are going to check the number of lamp hours and get back to me tonight. Price is $1800.00 which seems reasonable, and they claim it comes with full JVC warranty. Never bought an open box before, so not sure what to expect.

Now I was all set to replace my ageing Epson 1080UB with a newer 5050UB or 6050UB, but now I'm torn and tempted by this JVC unit, especially at the price point. I have done a lot of research on the 790R version, but as most of you know that model is out of production as well, and just as hard to come by. What are the major differences between the 590R and 790R? And would I be impressed by the 590R? I have never seen a JVC unit in person before, but again will be able to demo this unit tomorrow in person. Plus they have the newer JVC units as well as the Epson 6050UB so I can compare those as well.

I have a dedicated theater room with no windows and 106" diagonal 16:9 screen. Projector would be firing from a back room through an aperture just about 20 feet away. A quick search online for throw distance calculator shows this should work. What about source material, etc.? I plan to use a UHD Blu-ray as well as a Roku Ultra for 4K sources. But what is all the talk I hear about tone mapping, etc.? Is this a major issue with the JVC units for HDR material?

Thanks,
-D
NormP likes this.

Last edited by DMILANI; 07-17-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-17-2019, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I was dead set on getting a 5050ub. I went with the x790r and was able to compare it to a friend's 5050 in his dedicated room on a 133" screen. To me the differences were pretty big. Colors were deeper, black levels were much better and the image had a very 3d like feel. The Epson still did very well but I now understand the hype when it comes to JVC. If I was able to get a 5900 that cheap I would have scooped it up in a second.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 Old 07-17-2019, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMILANI View Post
Hi folks.

I found an open box JVC DLA-X590R at my local Best Buy Magnolia. Haven't seen it yet (going tomorrow to demo it) but the sales guys said it was a demo model and only has a few hundred hours on the lamp. They are going to check the number of lamp hours and get back to me tonight. Price is $1800.00 which seems reasonable, and they claim it comes with full JVC warranty. Never bought an open box before, so not sure what to expect.

Now I was all set to replace my ageing Epson 1080UB with a newer 5050UB or 6050UB, but now I'm torn and tempted by this JVC unit, especially at the price point. I have done a lot of research on the 790R version, but as most of you know that model is out of production as well, and just as hard to come by. What are the major differences between the 590R and 790R? And would I be impressed by the 590R? I have never seen a JVC unit in person before, but again will be able to demo this unit tomorrow in person. Plus they have the newer JVC units as well as the Epson 6050UB so I can compare those as well.

I have a dedicated theater room with no windows and 106" diagonal 16:9 screen. Projector would be firing from a back room through an aperture just about 20 feet away. A quick search online for throw distance calculator shows this should work. What about source material, etc.? I plan to use a UHD Blu-ray as well as a Roku Ultra for 4K sources. But what is all the talk I hear about tone mapping, etc.? Is this a major issue with the JVC units for HDR material?

Thanks,

-D
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ojector-review

I own the 6050 and for that price and with a full manufacturer's warranty I would definitely have gone with your deal until I can afford the true 4K JVC projector that I really want. You will not be disappointed at all. That is a fantastic deal especially given you're going to get the manufacturer's warranty.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 07-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krbass View Post
I was dead set on getting a 5050ub. I went with the x790r and was able to compare it to a friend's 5050 in his dedicated room on a 133" screen. To me the differences were pretty big. Colors were deeper, black levels were much better and the image had a very 3d like feel. The Epson still did very well but I now understand the hype when it comes to JVC. If I was able to get a 5900 that cheap I would have scooped it up in a second.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
As much as I hate to say it I would definitely agree with this assessment at that price point. I love my 6050 and I think it throws a great image and it does have more lumens so I think it does a better job with HDR but you can pair your JVC with a Panasonic 820 or 9000 that will significantly improve the performance of HDR

post #5 of 19 Old 07-17-2019, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi folks.

Thanks,

-D
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

I thought I remembered a similar discussion thread a while back on AVS Forum I don't know if this will come through and Tapatalk I think it should the consensus back then was the 5040 verse the 590r and pretty much everyone went with the 590r

post #6 of 19 Old 07-17-2019, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi folks.

Thanks,

-D
At that price I wouldn't wait somebody else might get it out from underneath of you I would go down there tonight honestly

post #7 of 19 Old 07-17-2019, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
which best buy is it at ?
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 07-17-2019, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys. They are tagging it with my name to hold it before I arrive tomorrow. Hopefully it’s still there :-).

So sounds like the 590X is a good option. How do I verify what they said about the warranty? I want to make sure I’m covered.

Thanks.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-17-2019, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. They are tagging it with my name to hold it before I arrive tomorrow. Hopefully it’s still there :-).

So sounds like the 590X is a good option. How do I verify what they said about the warranty? I want to make sure I’m covered.

Thanks.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/buying-...oc=0&acampID=0

post #10 of 19 Old 07-18-2019, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I know BB is going to push their Geek Squad extended warranty, but I would supposedly get the full 3 year JVC warranty with this open box unit. How good is the JVC warranty? Is it advanced replacement for all 3 years? If so, is it worth getting the BB warranty (I think BB warranty will be about $300.00).

Any experience with the JVC warranty? I haven't been able to find the details of the JVC warranty online - can someone post a link please?

Thanks,
-Dino
post #11 of 19 Old 07-18-2019, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I know BB is going to push their Geek Squad extended warranty, but I would supposedly get the full 3 year JVC warranty with this open box unit. How good is the JVC warranty? Is it advanced replacement for all 3 years? If so, is it worth getting the BB warranty (I think BB warranty will be about $300.00).

Any experience with the JVC warranty? I haven't been able to find the details of the JVC warranty online - can someone post a link please?

Thanks,

-Dino
Mack warranty is a company that has been in business for a long time definitely stand behind their warranty. And should be significantly cheaper than Best Buy Geek Squad.

http://www.mackcam.com/about-us/history/

post #12 of 19 Old 07-18-2019, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, I've actually used Mack before on previous projectors.

I guess I was wondering with such a long manufacturer's warranty (3-years with advanced replacement, I believe) if adding a third party extended warranty is even worth it, especially considering the relatively low $1800 price tag. I probably won't go over 4 years on an extended anyway, so I believe I would really only be paying for that 4th year since most extended warranties start after the manufacturer's ends.

-D
post #13 of 19 Old 07-18-2019, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Also, can you purchase Mack warranties directly from their site? Looks like you need to find a "dealer". I can't remember where I purchased these before, thanks.

Any suggestions?
post #14 of 19 Old 07-18-2019, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Also, can you purchase Mack warranties directly from their site? Looks like you need to find a "dealer". I can't remember where I purchased these before, thanks.

Any suggestions?
You would need to reach out to Mack. you have to call them to find a dealer. When you speak with them on the phone they should be able to tell you more about their warranty for projectors but my understanding is that there warranty actually starts the day after the warranty for the manufacture stops which is what makes them unique because most warranties do not work that way for places like SquareTrade and even Best Buy Geek Squad. I'll say it really depends on how long you plan on keeping a projector you seem to keep them for a while in that case an extended warranty could make sense especially because I think it will only cost you about $150.

post #15 of 19 Old 07-18-2019, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the info!
post #16 of 19 Old 07-18-2019, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I just picked up the JVC 590R floor model, and it looks great! It did have around 500 hours on the lamp, which is a little more than I wanted, but if nothing else the projector/lamp has been through its infant mortality phase already :-)

Lens and chassis are perfect (no scratches) and the image quality was superb, especially dark scenes. I also confirmed with JVC this morning (before I went to BB) that the full 3-year warranty would be available to me, so I didn't even bother getting the extended warranty, but I have 15 days to add it if I want.

I just want to thank everyone that helped me on this thread. For $1800.00 I couldn't let this one get away. Now to spend time this weekend setting it up and taking a closer look. Again, I have 15 days to return it if I find any issues.

Regards,
-D
Molon_Labe and Mocs123 like this.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-18-2019, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I just picked up the JVC 590R floor model, and it looks great! It did have around 500 hours on the lamp, which is a little more than I wanted, but if nothing else the projector/lamp has been through its infant mortality phase already :-)

Lens and chassis are perfect (no scratches) and the image quality was superb, especially dark scenes. I also confirmed with JVC this morning (before I went to BB) that the full 3-year warranty would be available to me, so I didn't even bother getting the extended warranty, but I have 15 days to add it if I want.

I just want to thank everyone that helped me on this thread. For $1800.00 I couldn't let this one get away. Now to spend time this weekend setting it up and taking a closer look. Again, I have 15 days to return it if I find any issues.

Regards,

-D
You have made a wise decision that will only look Smarter with time.

post #18 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Initial impressions at home are that convergence and focus across the entire screen is very good. I watched some 4K material and it looked excellent but I haven’t done any tweaking to display settings yet. I still have work to do but so far I’m loving it!
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #19 of 19 Old 07-19-2019, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Initial impressions at home are that convergence and focus across the entire screen is very good. I watched some 4K material and it looked excellent but I haven’t done any tweaking to display settings yet. I still have work to do but so far I’m loving it!
That is great news to hear

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page