Need some guidance - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-17-2019, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some guidance

Hey guys! I’ve some questions for you. Well, a specific question really. I need some guidance on what projector is going to be best for my needs.

A quick background is that I prefer the best picture possible, and this won’t be an exception. i.e. I finally gave my Elite Pro-151 to a buddy of mine and upgraded to an A1E. Now that I am working on another project, I would like to chase the same black levels and detail in a projector (or as close as I can, respectively), but have a ton of restrictions. The problem is that I am absolutely limited in the placement of both the projector and screen. I am also limited on the size as well. These are the absolute limitations:

Projector must be:
<24”W
<8.5”H
<11”D preferred. I could extend it, but would not prefer to, if possible.

The lens to screen distance is 6 feet, but can only be adjusted outwards to 7 feet, if necessary.

The screen size is 80” (diagonally) This has no room to grow, so even if the lens to screen distance were increased from 6’ to 7’, the screen size itself could not be increased.

So, these are the parameters for which I am bound. I am new to projectors, and have only begun to research and realize that I need a short throw, but not too short, and have quickly begun to realize I’m a bit in over my head.

Was humbly hoping my fellow AVS members could help point me in the best direction for the best quality given my situation. &#x1f642;

Kind regards,

-Kenneth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-17-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 12044 Post(s)
Liked: 9576
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth M View Post
Hey guys! I’ve some questions for you. Well, a specific question really. I need some guidance on what projector is going to be best for my needs.

A quick background is that I prefer the best picture possible, and this won’t be an exception. i.e. I finally gave my Elite Pro-151 to a buddy of mine and upgraded to an A1E. Now that I am working on another project, I would like to chase the same black levels and detail in a projector (or as close as I can, respectively), but have a ton of restrictions. The problem is that I am absolutely limited in the placement of both the projector and screen. I am also limited on the size as well. These are the absolute limitations:

Projector must be:
<24”W
<8.5”H
<11”D preferred. I could extend it, but would not prefer to, if possible.

The lens to screen distance is 6 feet, but can only be adjusted outwards to 7 feet, if necessary.

The screen size is 80” (diagonally) This has no room to grow, so even if the lens to screen distance were increased from 6’ to 7’, the screen size itself could not be increased.

So, these are the parameters for which I am bound. I am new to projectors, and have only begun to research and realize that I need a short throw, but not too short, and have quickly begun to realize I’m a bit in over my head.

Was humbly hoping my fellow AVS members could help point me in the best direction for the best quality given my situation. &#x1f642;

Kind regards,

-Kenneth
11" deep max and only 80" in size? Stick with a flat panel.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-17-2019, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

I can’t. Unfortunately, a flat panel will not work for the area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-17-2019, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

So if the depth of the projector can be increased, what would my options be?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-18-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
So if the depth of the projector can be increased, what would my options be?
"I finally gave my Elite Pro-151 to a buddy of mine and upgraded to an A1E. Now that I am working on another project, I would like to chase the same black levels and detail in a projector."

Chasing good black levels, means JVC and JVC does not make a projector that meets your requirements.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-18-2019, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the heads up, Mike! At least I know the manufacturer for which I need to keep an eye on. Much appreciated. After a ton of research I decided that a benq ht3550 will serve me until someone does something significantly better! Just hope I actually want to use it after I install it.....hope it’s not too disappointing.

Again, thanks for your help.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-19-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the heads up, Mike! At least I know the manufacturer for which I need to keep an eye on. Much appreciated. After a ton of research I decided that a benq ht3550 will serve me until someone does something significantly better! Just hope I actually want to use it after I install it.....hope it’s not too disappointing.

Again, thanks for your help.
These new DLP's are an E-shift type of projector, though using a larger chip than the JVC projectors, but these DLP's only have around 1,000:1 native contrast. Even though they are an E-shift type of device, they are very sharp, image wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page