• 1 Post By Mike Garrett

post #1 of 8 Old 07-20-2019, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
LCC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Next Projector Advice

I know everyone hates these threads, but am in bit of a pickle. I thought I would get the NX5 or Nx7. I have been in the thread reading and am seeing a lot about the 17:9 vs 16:9 aspect ratio and also some of the current issues. Admittedly I don't know enough about it to really understand if this is a big deal. So let me throw out what I have, and ask for opinions. The projector is the last piece I am upgrading.

I have a dedicated bat cave. All walls and ceilings and floor are black/very dark. I have a 16:9 120" dragonfly 4k Ultra White screen. Seating distance is 11 feet. The theater is used for sports and movies. I currently have a Sony vpl-hw40es. Have an Oppo 203 and Apple 4K TV as sources. I get killer deals on JVCs. Wondering if The extra money for the NX5 or NX7 is worth it over something like the LX-UH1. Or any other eshift model out there given current set up and uses. Downsides to 17:9 NXs given I have a 16:9 screen?

Thanks for indulging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-20-2019, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 12030 Post(s)
Liked: 9553
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCC View Post
I know everyone hates these threads, but am in bit of a pickle. I thought I would get the NX5 or Nx7. I have been in the thread reading and am seeing a lot about the 17:9 vs 16:9 aspect ratio and also some of the current issues. Admittedly I don't know enough about it to really understand if this is a big deal. So let me throw out what I have, and ask for opinions. The projector is the last piece I am upgrading.

I have a dedicated bat cave. All walls and ceilings and floor are black/very dark. I have a 16:9 120" dragonfly 4k Ultra White screen. Seating distance is 11 feet. The theater is used for sports and movies. I currently have a Sony vpl-hw40es. Have an Oppo 203 and Apple 4K TV as sources. I get killer deals on JVCs. Wondering if The extra money for the NX5 or NX7 is worth it over something like the LX-UH1. Or any other eshift model out there given current set up and uses. Downsides to 17:9 NXs given I have a 16:9 screen?

Thanks for indulging.
No question, the RS1000/NX5 and RS2000/NX7 are worth it over the UH1 for movies. With your screen size, you will be able to use the DCI P3 filter in the NX7, so if you have the budget, that would be my first recommendation.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-06-2019, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
LCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
No question, the RS1000/NX5 and RS2000/NX7 are worth it over the UH1 for movies. With your screen size, you will be able to use the DCI P3 filter in the NX7, so if you have the budget, that would be my first recommendation.
Dealer is holding an NX5 and NX7 for me. Trying to pick up this afternoon. Is the DCI P3 filter really worth the price difference? Any other glaring advantages to the NX7?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-06-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Dealer is holding an NX5 and NX7 for me. Trying to pick up this afternoon. Is the DCI P3 filter really worth the price difference? Any other glaring advantages to the NX7?
The NX7 has higher native contrast and the DCI P3 color filter. Most on AVSF felt the NX7 was worth the difference, but if your screen is large and low gain, you may not want to lose the 10% of light output to use the filter.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-06-2019, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
LCC

Quote:
The NX7 has higher native contrast and the DCI P3 color filter. Most on AVSF felt the NX7 was worth the difference, but if your screen is large and low gain, you may not want to lose the 10% of light output to use the filter.
Great. Thanks. It's a 120" Dragonfly 16:9 4K Ultrawhite in a completely light controlled room. Great screen, just not a ton out there about them. Got it through a dealer.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-06-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Great. Thanks. It's a 120" Dragonfly 16:9 4K Ultrawhite in a completely light controlled room. Great screen, just not a ton out there about them. Got it through a dealer.
You should be able to use the filter with that screen, at least for a while.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-06-2019, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
LCC

Quote:
You should be able to use the filter with that screen, at least for a while.
OK. I'm curious. What does for a while mean with a smiley face ha ha???
post #8 of 8 Old 08-06-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
OK. I'm curious. What does for a while mean with a smiley face ha ha???
Nobody can use the filter for the full life of a lamp. At some point, the image gets too dim.
Jive Turkey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page