Theo Z65 (Upgraded Optoma UHZ65) Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 105 Old 11-25-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,490
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Here's what TVSpro (Ted) stated:



"...And then the 3rd thing we do is we are able to reduce the reflections inside the light box somewhat so that our black level is even significantly lower than a normal unmodified Optoma...."







In all optical systems if you reduce internal reflections and prevent stray reflections from striking the focal plane, you will increase contrast.
I'm curious then why they wouldn't allow Kris to take any measurements of contrast if indeed the Theo modifications changes the measured contrast of the UHZ65.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
skylarlove1999 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 105 Old 11-25-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,404
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2780 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Here's what TVSpro (Ted) stated:

"...And then the 3rd thing we do is we are able to reduce the reflections inside the light box somewhat so that our black level is even significantly lower than a normal unmodified Optoma...."

In all optical systems if you reduce internal reflections and prevent stray reflections from striking the focal plane, you will increase contrast.

Thanks, Dun. I got it; you were drawing an inference based on what was said.


Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
I'm curious then why they wouldn't allow Kris to take any measurements of contrast if indeed the Theo modifications changes the measured contrast of the UHZ65.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

How do we know that they didn't allow him to measure? If in fact Kris did not measure, I'm now wondering why Kris said the native contrast offered up by the Theo was not improved over the UHZ65's... I guess probably because that's what normally happens with using filters.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #93 of 105 Old 11-25-2019, 02:47 PM
Senior Member
 
jherring69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PE Canada
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Plus he compared watching it to watching an old VHS tape

Display: Optoma UHZ65 - Screen: DIY 114" AT Spandex (White over Black)
Receiver: Marantz SR7011 - Speakers: 7.4.4 All Paradigm with 4 DIY 15" Subs
Sources: Odroid N2 - CoreElec, Roku Premiere+, Fire Cube 2019, PS4 Pro
jherring69 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 105 Old 11-25-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,490
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post
Plus he compared watching it to watching an old VHS tape
Kris was an invited guest and acted accordingly. He did give his unbiased opinion but in very professional way. I would imagine the JVC excelled over the Theo Lite in most image quality areas. Kris didn't feel a need to insult someone in their own home.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Craig Peer likes this.
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #95 of 105 Old 11-25-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,404
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2780 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post
Plus he compared watching it to watching an old VHS tape
I think that might have just been hyperbole pertaining to what was actually being seen in a scene from The Revenant.

Of all the XPR DLPs, even the base UHZ65 is still one of my favorites. Certainly differences between the Theo and the NX7 were present but it seems the filter on the Theo did bring improvements to the UHZ65.

Are you thinking of sending yours in for the mod, Jherring69?
Aztar35 is offline  
post #96 of 105 Old 11-25-2019, 08:08 PM
Senior Member
 
jherring69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PE Canada
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
I think that might have just been hyperbole pertaining to what was actually being seen in a scene from The Revenant.

Of all the XPR DLPs, even the base UHZ65 is still one of my favorites. Certainly differences between the Theo and the NX7 were present but it seems the filter on the Theo did bring improvements to the UHZ65.

Are you thinking of sending yours in for the mod, Jherring69?
The Mod is only available for the US and I'm in Canada. I would like to be able to see one though

I have only watched parts of the video so I don't know if Kris calibrated the Theo or not? Some contrast measurements would have been nice as well.

From reading some of his posts over the years, he kind of gives off the impression that he is the only person that knows how to do any of these things right.

I know that most everyone around these parts loves Kris, but comparing the Optoma to watching a VHS tape was a bit ridiculous.

It was nice to see the man behind the myth though . Thanks to all involved with the video.

Display: Optoma UHZ65 - Screen: DIY 114" AT Spandex (White over Black)
Receiver: Marantz SR7011 - Speakers: 7.4.4 All Paradigm with 4 DIY 15" Subs
Sources: Odroid N2 - CoreElec, Roku Premiere+, Fire Cube 2019, PS4 Pro
jherring69 is online now  
post #97 of 105 Old 11-25-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,490
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post
The Mod is only available for the US and I'm in Canada. I would like to be able to see one though



I have only watched parts of the video so I don't know if Kris calibrated the Theo or not? Some contrast measurements would have been nice as well.



From reading some of his posts over the years, he kind of gives off the impression that he is the only person that knows how to do any of these things right.



I know that most everyone around these parts loves Kris, but comparing the Optoma to watching a VHS tape was a bit ridiculous.



It was nice to see the man behind the myth though . Thanks to all involved with the video.
Kris was forbidden from touching Theo. LOL

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
jherring69 likes this.
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #98 of 105 Old 11-25-2019, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 12,122
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 2173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post
Plus he compared watching it to watching an old VHS tape
I knew as soon as I read that some would take that comment out of context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
I think that might have just been hyperbole pertaining to what was actually being seen in a scene from The Revenant.
I believe you are spot on. Unfortunately, Kris will probably have to come back and clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post
The Mod is only available for the US and I'm in Canada. I would like to be able to see one though

I have only watched parts of the video so I don't know if Kris calibrated the Theo or not? Some contrast measurements would have been nice as well.

From reading some of his posts over the years, he kind of gives off the impression that he is the only person that knows how to do any of these things right.

I know that most everyone around these parts loves Kris, but comparing the Optoma to watching a VHS tape was a bit ridiculous.

It was nice to see the man behind the myth though . Thanks to all involved with the video.
And he has earned that respect over a long period of time in this industry. Kris and Darinp are probably the two most knowledgeable people I have met on this forum in regards to video science. There is a reason he is well regarded not only on this forum, but in the industry and that is because he knows what he is talking about.

As far as the impression, I don't consider that accurate either.
Craig Peer likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is online now  
post #99 of 105 Old 12-07-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Thanks, Dun. I got it; you were drawing an inference based on what was said.





How do we know that they didn't allow him to measure? If in fact Kris did not measure, I'm now wondering why Kris said the native contrast offered up by the Theo was not improved over the UHZ65's... I guess probably because that's what normally happens with using filters.

Part 2 of the TVSpro blog shows some black level comparisons between the Theo and the UHZ65:

https://www.tvspecialists.com/jvc-dl...ering-part-ii/
Aztar35 likes this.
DunMunro is offline  
post #100 of 105 Old 12-08-2019, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,858
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring69 View Post
Plus he compared watching it to watching an old VHS tape
I would have expected at least S-VHS or Beta quality.

Certainly sounds interesting enough to re-test one's sensitivity to RBE and what better HDR DTM could provide the Theo.
jherring69 likes this.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - Vertex2 - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton

Last edited by Bytehoven; 12-08-2019 at 04:55 AM.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #101 of 105 Old 12-08-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,404
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2780 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
I would have expected at least S-VHS or Beta quality.

Certainly sounds interesting enough to re-test one's sensitivity to RBE and what better HDR DTM could provide the Theo.

I was looking at part two of the TVS comparison and noticed that in the photos, the Theo showed shadow detail in darker areas more like the NX7 did than like the base UHZ65. I remember when I had the UHZ65, there was plenty of detail in dark scenes (making them look like they were filmed in daylight but with a filter). It seems that's just the way the UHZ maps.

Recall also that when we ran the UHZ65 with the NX7 at Brian's, the dark scenes in Alita viewed through the UHZ65 had significantly more information displayed in them. I kind of like that. Now, whether that's the director's intent that all that dark scene info be shown is of course a different story.

So, now, judging from those photos in TVS' comparison, I think the Theo has those darker areas track more conventionally.
jherring69 likes this.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #102 of 105 Old 12-08-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,858
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
I was looking at part two of the TVS comparison and noticed that in the photos, the Theo showed shadow detail in darker areas more like the NX7 did than like the base UHZ65. I remember when I had the UHZ65, there was plenty of detail in dark scenes (making them look like they were filmed in daylight but with a filter). It seems that's just the way the UHZ maps.

Recall also that when we ran the UHZ65 with the NX7 at Brian's, the dark scenes in Alita viewed through the UHZ65 had significantly more information displayed in them. I kind of like that. Now, whether that's the director's intent that all that dark scene info be shown is of course a different story.

So, now, judging from those photos in TVS' comparison, I think the Theo has those darker areas track more conventionally.
Director's Intent... I am curious just how far afield of any Director's intent some of these wonderful developments might be. A faithful Dolby Vision presentation may be the best standard to consider as a reference, although some/many may feel other mapping techniques superior to even the best DV presentation.

It is unfortunate there was no opportunity to observe how much the Theo performance improved with a Lumagen, because the cost/value of a Theo/Lumagen combination, might tip some scales. Certainly Theo/MadVR as well.
jherring69 likes this.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - Vertex2 - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Bytehoven is offline  
post #103 of 105 Old 12-08-2019, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have both the original version TheoZ65 and the Oppo-203 and have been reading up on the Vertex2 LLDV "hack". May try it for myself.
LaserMan207 is offline  
post #104 of 105 Old 01-14-2020, 12:40 PM
Newbie
 
norcis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserMan207 View Post
I have both the original version TheoZ65 and the Oppo-203 and have been reading up on the Vertex2 LLDV "hack". May try it for myself.
Have you tried it?

I missed opportunity getting new Sony VPL VW760ES with good discount, but I prefer laser light source so UHZ65 is on my list. I won't be able to send it for upgrade as I'm in EU, how do you thing original UHZ65 compares to similar price range models like BenQ W5700 and TW9400 (aka 6050UB)?
norcis is offline  
post #105 of 105 Old 01-16-2020, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Haven't tried the vertex hack yet, my PC broke down and I'm in the process of building a new one.
LaserMan207 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off