Where's the usual CEDIA new products thread? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101Likes

post #61 of 182 Old 09-04-2019, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
The ZK750 could be very interesting especially if Optoma axed the color wheel and instead went with laser cycling / green phosphor like LG did on their RB laser projectors.

Also worth noting Optoma projectors street price are at deep discount.
Does that reduce RBE?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 182 Old 09-04-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
I know it's a smaller panel than the LCOS projectors, and just a single panel, but if it's a real 3000lm then it's interesting from an engineering viewpoint that they've managed to tame the laser engine's size (and presumably heat) from the beast of the RS4500.
The specs. for single chip DLP projectors frequently use "white lumens" with the projector operating in the brightest possible mode. For home theater use where we want accurate color and proper color saturation levels, color lumens, as used for LCoS and 3LCD projectors, is a more interesting spec. Of course lumens when the projector is properly calibrated is the best spec. of all, but you usually get that only after the production models have made their way into the hands of the reviewers.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #63 of 182 Old 09-04-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk View Post
Does that reduce RBE?
Yes but it also reduces uncalibrated brightness given same # lasers. Most likely this optoma has a rgby equiv color wheel given target market.

Last edited by Ruined; 09-04-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 182 Old 09-05-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Any word out of EPSON yet at IFA?
post #65 of 182 Old 09-05-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
Any word out of EPSON yet at IFA?

Checked today, no IFA press releases or announcements from Epson, yet, only JVC. I guess tomorrow we all know more.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #66 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kraine has the latest EPSON news:

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...-et-eh-tw6800/

TW7000 and TW7100 (both 4K E-shift) replace the previous models TW6700 and TW6800.

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...courte-focale/

Two UST projectors with laser but apparently none of the four features Frame Interpolation for 4K UHD program content.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #67 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Kraine has the latest EPSON news:

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...-et-eh-tw6800/

TW7000 and TW7100 (both 4K E-shift) replace the previous models TW6700 and TW6800.

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...courte-focale/

Two UST projectors with laser but apparently none of the four features Frame Interpolation for 4K UHD program content.

AHHHH Damn!! I was really hoping for 4K laser.
Spizz likes this.
post #68 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
I was really hoping for 4K laser.

These were just the latest news, IFA is still in the warm up phase. And just because it's not at IFA doesn't imply it won't be at CEDIA.

post #69 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Talking

Quote:
These were just the latest news, IFA is still in the warm up phase. And just because it's not at IFA doesn't imply it won't be at CEDIA.
Ok, so keep my hopes up is what you are telling me!
post #70 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No, I'm just suggesting it's too early to jump to premature conclusions.

Now 3 hours into IFA (I'll go on Monday) and still no eyewitness report on the JVC DLP laser projector...

post #71 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, I'm just suggesting it's too early to jump to premature conclusions.

"too early" as in "unless we get an update" and here is the update:

In the German HiFi-Forum Kraine stated several minutes ago that there'd be no EPSON front projector with laser and native 4K resolution this year.

To be certain I asked him whether that perhaps only applied to IFA but not CEDIA and he replied that this information also applied to CEDIA.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

post #72 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
"too early" as in "unless we get an update" and here is the update:

In the German HiFi-Forum Kraine stated several minutes ago that there'd be no EPSON front projector with laser and native 4K resolution this year.

To be certain I asked him whether that perhaps only applied to IFA but not CEDIA and he replied that this information also applied to CEDIA.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
The news seems even worse in that Epson does not have a real 4K native resolution at all.
They new units seem to be psudo 4k again. There also does not seem to be anything new from Sony. The JVC firmware upgrade seems to be the biggest news.
The problem seems to be that the front projector market is very small and the cost to put out a new product is very high.

Last edited by rwestley; 09-06-2019 at 08:27 AM.
post #73 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
The JVC firmware upgrade seems to be the biggest news.

Indeed, have never seen one of the German AV-reviewers to get that excited before...

And of course, there's JVC's DLP 4K XPR laser projector...

post #74 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 2255
Quote:
The news seems even worse in that Epson does not have a real 4K native resolution at all.
They new units seem to be psudo 4k again. There also does not seem to be anything new from Sony. The JVC firmware upgrade seems to be the biggest news.
The problem seems to be that the front projector market is very small and the cost to put out a new product is very high.
Yes and Epson has generally been about relatively lower cost. It's still expensive enough to release a native 4K lamp based unit let alone laser.
rwestley likes this.
post #75 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

It does seem to be a MUCH smaller market. I can count on one hand the number of people I actually know that own a projector. TV's....different story. I would also argue the difference we are talking about between the psudo 4K and actual 4K is pretty small. It doesn't make it non-existent, it's just minimal. What you have are people who enjoy watching content and people who enjoy measuring content and this forum is more of the latter. If I pause the movie and walk closer to the screen there's no question there's more fine detail in the "true" 4k. I don't watch movies like that, but it doesn't mean it's not there. You will pay, literally, thousands more for the privilege of doing so which is where you get to make a choice. Epson has a great product for the money that isn't for movie pause and measurers. For those that want the latest and greatest specs you have other choices that will allow you to win the side by side pause and compare battle. I don't mind being a little behind in the super duper resolution battle but a lot ahead in the bank account. Others don't like the idea of an inferior image and will happily pay the premium. There's no right or wrong here and it's all personal preference. What I like about Epson is that they have found that dollar for performance sweet spot for my taste. There are those that would say if I buy the 6050 I'm buying a minor increase for thousands more over lets say a $1,000 1080p projector. Everyone has their spot where it makes sense to them which is why, for me, I've been very pleased with Epson projectors.
Deja Vu, Mojito and rjmcinnis like this.
post #76 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 10:58 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 3573
Yeah, it must be a VERY small market relatively speaking. I dont know a single person in my normal every day life that has a HT, much less a projector. Between work, gym and my friends, that's quite a few people.
Deja Vu and Hawkmarket like this.
post #77 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
It does seem to be a MUCH smaller market. I can count on one hand the number of people I actually know that own a projector. TV's....different story. I would also argue the difference we are talking about between the psudo 4K and actual 4K is pretty small. It doesn't make it non-existent, it's just minimal. What you have are people who enjoy watching content and people who enjoy measuring content and this forum is more of the latter. If I pause the movie and walk closer to the screen there's no question there's more fine detail in the "true" 4k. I don't watch movies like that, but it doesn't mean it's not there. You will pay, literally, thousands more for the privilege of doing so which is where you get to make a choice. Epson has a great product for the money that isn't for movie pause and measurers. For those that want the latest and greatest specs you have other choices that will allow you to win the side by side pause and compare battle. I don't mind being a little behind in the super duper resolution battle but a lot ahead in the bank account. Others don't like the idea of an inferior image and will happily pay the premium. There's no right or wrong here and it's all personal preference. What I like about Epson is that they have found that dollar for performance sweet spot for my taste. There are those that would say if I buy the 6050 I'm buying a minor increase for thousands more over lets say a $1,000 1080p projector. Everyone has their spot where it makes sense to them which is why, for me, I've been very pleased with Epson projectors.
Finally, a post that makes complete sense to me.

I own true 4K devices and faux 4K devices. It's very hard for me to see a resolution difference between the two from my normal sitting distance. Black levels, well that's a different story. I'll take improved contrast over a bump in resolution any day, especially when the difference between faux 4K and true 4K is difficult for me to discern, even on a good day.

I would have thought that improved lumens would mean something especially with HDR but no one seems to care.

Also, this laser projector offers 3D and high lumens (4,000 max -- is that correct? What about calibrated lumens?), which should make for some pretty spectacular 3D.

Supposedly what we have is: a high lumen laser projector with HDR and 3D capabilities and really good contrast. The downside is that it's not native 4K, which means nothing to me since I can't tell the difference between native 4K and faux 4K from my normal sitting distance anyway (I really have to get close to the screen to see a difference and since I don't sit that close I don't care).

A few short years ago a high contrast laser 3D (and HDR) projector that can be placed right in front of the screen would have been unheard of at any price. Now it garners just a "ho-hum". Really?
ProjectionHead likes this.
post #78 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
There also does not seem to be anything new from Sony. The JVC firmware upgrade seems to be the biggest news.
Sony also announced a firmware upgrade at IFA for their Laser VPL-VW760ES where they added dynamic laser dimming in combination with a dynamic iris. Should make owners happy. Posted by Arrow-AV here-

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...l#post58521546

Last edited by Spizz; 09-06-2019 at 05:09 PM.
post #79 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5378 Post(s)
Liked: 5710
5 year warranty or 12,000 hours coverage on the Epson UST laser is a great offering from the manufacturer.

UST's are really taking off over the last year. This one looks like it's competing with the new Optoma P1.

I think they are cool and thinking of getting one to use as a TV replacement in a bedroom.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #80 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Yeah, it must be a VERY small market relatively speaking. I dont know a single person in my normal every day life that has a HT, much less a projector. Between work, gym and my friends, that's quite a few people.
Yeah, at least two anyway.
Toe likes this.
post #81 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6986 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
All of my friends come to watch movies at my house. They don't need a theater. They do however bring wine !
Toe and Frank714 like this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #82 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
All of my friends come to watch movies at my house. They don't need a theater. They do however bring wine !
You know Craig, you almost make California sound civilized.

Now if it weren't for all the people, taxes, earthquakes, government regulations, air pollution, water pollution, drought, mud slides, tsunamis, traffic, high real-estate prices, loonies, vagrants, gangs, sharks, and big foots, it might be a decent place to live.
post #83 of 182 Old 09-06-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
You know Craig, you almost make California sound civilized.

Now if it weren't for all the people, taxes, earthquakes, government regulations, air pollution, water pollution, drought, mud slides, tsunamis, traffic, high real-estate prices, loonies, vagrants, gangs, sharks, and big foots, it might be a decent place to live.

Not much I’ve been able to do about that. You just have to enjoy time with your friends and family. Tonight it’s Moon on 4K,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LondonBenji likes this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #84 of 182 Old 09-07-2019, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 300
I copied this post from a German Forum:
"Well, now I have the IFA yet to wait and the decision for a 4K projector will be very simple

DLP = Nope, because not 4K native
LCD = Nope, because not 4K natively
Sony LCOS = Nope, because irreparable contrast loss on all non-laser devices
JVC DLP = Nope, because not 4K native
JVC LCOS = Yep It will certainly be with me an N5 or N7.

I am almost glad that the manufacturers make it so easy"
spyboy, Mojito and Mike Johnson 3 like this.
post #85 of 182 Old 09-07-2019, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
"Well, now I have the IFA yet to wait and the decision for a 4K projector will be very simple

Your right not a ton of choice. Very surprise Epson will do another year without a native 4k

But I am really glad that JVC will do dynamic tone map. If it append to be close to what the Radiance Pro can do, all JVC owners will be astonishing. And I guess that will make JVC a lot sale in the upcoming year.

Instead of a new model, JVC this year choose to go with a new firmware. It shows a lot of respect for their early adopter costumers.
post #86 of 182 Old 09-07-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:

It’s almost like they have the market cornered so much that they can raise prices

post #87 of 182 Old 09-07-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
It’s almost like they have the market cornered so much that they can raise prices

They are raising prices on the RS2000. Better buy one before October 1st !

post #88 of 182 Old 09-07-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Any ideas of U.S. availability of the Epson LS-500?
post #89 of 182 Old 09-07-2019, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12541 Post(s)
Liked: 10154
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmatheny11 View Post
Any ideas of U.S. availability of the Epson LS-500?
Still available.
post #90 of 182 Old 09-07-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post

Still available.
I don't get it...

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links