Projector for 'good' HDR on a 170" AT CIH - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeahrens

post #1 of 23 Old 09-04-2019, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Projector for 'good' HDR on a 170" AT CIH

My theater is coming up on 10 years old and is in need of a new tech refresh. It's an under garage dedicated theater, 23x'16'x9'. It is all matte black fabric lined including the ceiling, so I have full control over ambient light, so it's completely dark as one would want. I would like to keep the existing screen, a Seymour AT (their original fabric I think around a 1.1 gain?) that is 170" at 2.35/1. I've been using a panasonic 3k with powered zoom for managing CIH (and a custom motorized masking system for sides) and the biggest issue I have is with image brightness as you would expect and lack of 3D support.

The theater is 99% movie, 0% TV and 1% gaming -- I have a dedicated gaming section in the basement with an LG oled and 7.2.4 atmos denon/triad setup, so the theater is only used during 4v4 or 8v8 parties I sometimes but rarely do at my place and I'm not concerned with input lag or delay in the theater. I'm focused purely on movies for the theater. To break down genre, it's 60% action, 20% drama, 10% documentary and 10% animated.

I'm torn on 3D support, there's a few movies I've wanted to see in 3D and haven't been able to. I do have a son now so I foresee 3D becoming something that would be good to have as an option. I will say too that I try to stick mainly to IMAX and XD theaters for 3D since I don't enjoy the half brightness 3D setups that many theaters do.

I have 2 viewing positions, first row at 10' and second at 17'. I have less than average vision so I prefer the closer 'in your face' viewing position and contrast is slightly more important to me than purely resolution. My wife and guests do notice pixels with this large of a screen and 1080P source. This is why I'm looking at a new projector as the market seems about there.

I've spent a number of hours going over specs and reviews of the 5050UB, 695, 295, NX7, and 690. BenQ was a 'presentation projector' in my mind in the past but I might need to look at those based on what I've seen referenced. I was looking to spend about $4k but it seems some sub $3k projectors are actually pretty descent for brightness while over $5k the value of performance goes up pretty fast but brightness does not. However due to a connection at Sony I can get those for a hard to pass cost if they just had better brightness.

--

So now to my main question. What can really be expected with HDR and projectors? I've tried finding articles talking about what is realistic with projectors and where things are and going but it doesn't seem to exist. Trying to find out what projectors can do HDR well wasn't successful either, I haven't seen anyone report results of pre or post calibration for say '120 nits measured on XYZ" screen with X gain' vs '45nits with HDR turned off'. OLED is amazing with 600+nit but getting any high HDR number on a projector seems like a long shot if wanting to stay under $5k-$6k or even $50k. Is everyone just ignoring high nits on large screens like a 170" since getting enough lumens from a projector to do that is very expensive or comes at the cost of contrast or blacks?

For me, I'm really only picking up UHD movies now. I also got a big shock and didn't realize at first that I had HDR turned off when I watched a few movies on an OLED tv so when I rewatched them in HDR I was floored at how much I was missing out on without high nits for HDR. This makes me wonder what I can get out of a projector for HDR. It looks like HDR on projectors is just a no-go or consolation prize. So with a 170" screen, where should I be focusing for projectors?

Thoughts?

Last edited by distoga; 09-04-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-04-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by distoga View Post
My theater is coming up on 10 years old and is in need of a new tech refresh. It's an under garage dedicated theater, 23x'16'x9'. It is all matte black fabric lined including the ceiling, so I have full control over ambient light, so it's completely dark as one would want. I would like to keep the existing screen, a Seymour AT (their original fabric I think around a 1.1 gain?) that is 170" at 2.35/1. I've been using a panasonic 3k with powered zoom for managing CIH (and a custom motorized masking system for sides) and the biggest issue I have is with image brightness as you would expect and lack of 3D support.

The theater is 99% movie, 0% TV and 1% gaming -- I have a dedicated gaming section in the basement with an LG oled and 7.2.4 atmos denon/triad setup, so the theater is only used during 4v4 or 8v8 parties I sometimes but rarely do at my place and I'm not concerned with input lag or delay in the theater. I'm focused purely on movies for the theater. To break down genre, it's 60% action, 20% drama, 10% documentary and 10% animated.

I'm torn on 3D support, there's a few movies I've wanted to see in 3D and haven't been able to. I do have a son now so I foresee 3D becoming something that would be good to have as an option. I will say too that I try to stick mainly to IMAX and XD theaters for 3D since I don't enjoy the half brightness 3D setups that many theaters do.

I have 2 viewing positions, first row at 10' and second at 17'. I have less than average vision so I prefer the closer 'in your face' viewing position and contrast is slightly more important to me than purely resolution. My wife and guests do notice pixels with this large of a screen and 1080P source. This is why I'm looking at a new projector as the market seems about there.

I've spent a number of hours going over specs and reviews of the 5050UB, 695, 295, NX7, and 690. BenQ was a 'presentation projector' in my mind in the past but I might need to look at those based on what I've seen referenced. I was looking to spend about $4k but it seems some sub $3k projectors are actually pretty descent for brightness while over $5k the value of performance goes up pretty fast but brightness does not. However due to a connection at Sony I can get those for a hard to pass cost if they just had better brightness.

--

So now to my main question. What can really be expected with HDR and projectors? I've tried finding articles talking about what is realistic with projectors and where things are and going but it doesn't seem to exist. Trying to find out what projectors can do HDR well wasn't successful either, I haven't seen anyone report results of pre or post calibration for say '120 nits measured on XYZ" screen with X gain' vs '45nits with HDR turned off'. OLED is amazing with 600+nit but getting any high HDR number on a projector seems like a long shot if wanting to stay under $5k-$6k or even $50k. Is everyone just ignoring high nits on large screens like a 170" since getting enough lumens from a projector to do that is very expensive or comes at the cost of contrast or blacks?

For me, I'm really only picking up UHD movies now. I also got a big shock and didn't realize at first that I had HDR turned off when I watched a few movies on an OLED tv so when I rewatched them in HDR I was floored at how much I was missing out on without high nits for HDR. This makes me wonder what I can get out of a projector for HDR. It looks like HDR on projectors is just a no-go or consolation prize. So with a 170" screen, where should I be focusing for projectors?

Thoughts?
Epson is supposed to introduce a new laser native 4K Home Theater projector at IFA on Friday. I would keep an eye out for that. The Theo UHZ65 is another projector that claims very good HDR performance. I and others remain a bit skeptical about it outperforming the JVC NX7 and even my Epson 6050 for that matter but it is an interesting option if the comparison videos are truthful and accurate.

As you know at 170 inches you really need a light cannon for great HDR performance probably something between 3500 and 5000 lumens for that size screen depending on room conditions throw distance etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 Old 09-04-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
The closest I can come to that is forum member @SteveFred .

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...er-duex-6.html

His setup:
BENQ LK970, 180"(195.4" Diagonal) Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD W/UH480 lens

Could probably PM him or post in his theater thread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-04-2019, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 110
You could run dual PJ's for a great HDR image. How about dual Epson 5040's for less than $3k (refurb deal)? That would give you 1000-2000 lumens (CALIBRATED lumens) depending on your color mode in medium lamp mode (way more in high lamp mode if you need it!).

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-04-2019, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
The closest I can come to that is forum member @SteveFred .

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...er-duex-6.html

His setup:
BENQ LK970, 180"(195.4" Diagonal) Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD W/UH480 lens

Could probably PM him or post in his theater thread.

The LK970 is a great projector for SDR (It uses REC709, It does not do HDR BT2020, the LK990 does, but I have no experience with that one) on a bigger screen and the refurbished ones from BenQ direct site are at a great price. I run MadVR through an HTPC and also had it calibrated by a couple of friend with 3DLUT. The lumens are perfect for my 180" wide screen I think calibrated I am running 30 FtL or about 3000 lumens. So if you plan on getting an LK970, I would run it through some type tone mapping (MadVR, Lumagan, etc)

New Theater pics
Theater Thread
BENQ LK970, 180"(195.4" Diagonal) Wide curved Seymour 2.37:1 XD W/UH480 lens/Marantz 8802A/Outlaw Amps 7900/5000, 7.2.4 set up / 8 - MT110SR's / Dual T-18's/HTPC/MadVR
post #6 of 23 Old 09-04-2019, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFred View Post
The LK970 is a great projector for SDR (It uses REC709, It does not do HDR BT2020, the LK990 does, but I have no experience with that one) on a bigger screen and the refurbished ones from BenQ direct site are at a great price. I run MadVR through an HTPC and also had it calibrated by a couple of friend with 3DLUT. The lumens are perfect for my 180" wide screen I think calibrated I am running 30 FtL or about 3000 lumens. So if you plan on getting an LK970, I would run it through some type tone mapping (MadVR, Lumagan, etc)
Ideally 50 foot lamberts are recommended for HDR. The Lumagen HDR tone mapping can significantly reduce that number and provide a great HDR image. Keep in mind that @SteveFred setup achieves that 30 foot lamberts using an older anamorphic lens to increase the brightness to the screen. Those two pieces of gear when purchased new, anamorphic lens and video processor, add between $10k and $12k to your home theater setup. Not saying it isn't worth it just something to consider.

post #7 of 23 Old 09-04-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2572 Post(s)
Liked: 2253
If you're considering DLP, I would take a look at the upcoming JVC JVC LX-NZ3 which will have 3000 lumens, laser, and auto tone mapping which is likely to be superior to what DLPs in this price class will offer.
post #8 of 23 Old 09-04-2019, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
If you're considering DLP, I would take a look at the upcoming JVC JVC LX-NZ3 which will have 3000 lumens, laser, and auto tone mapping which is likely to be superior to what DLPs in this price class will offer.
It does have some good specs. At the MSRP under $3700 I have some serious doubts about the lens quality especially given the rather small footprint of the projector and the fact that JVC marketing seems to be slanting towards the portability of said projector.

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2019/consu...3_release.html

post #9 of 23 Old 09-05-2019, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I had a dlp in the past, 3x with rgbw color wheel, I think it was an epson but may be wrong as it was over 10 years ago. I didn't keep it very long because I am sensitive to the rainbow effect. I know theaters are still using dlp and I haven't seen the rainbow effect in them for many years like I used to maybe 6-8 years ago, but my guess is they are running wheel speeds higher now than what is common for home dlp projectors?

The two projector idea is interesting, but I'm not sure I'm up for ongoing calibration and alignment...

I've had an anamorphic lens and slide setup years ago as well, but my wife was not a fan of it as it was manual and I sold it when I got the panny. I think that's about a 20% boost in brightness? That would help some if I went back to that but cost wise I might opt for a LK990 or 970 to get more lumens vs running an anamorphic lens again due to the higher cost of the setup and I'd need one that's motorized.

New question, for those with larger screens like my 170", are most people not focusing on HDR? If people aren't focusing on HDR what do they find the more important factors to pay attention to or best value projectors for large screens? I see some people focusing on contrast ratio, blacks, ambient light control (not an issue for me). Have people moved away from Brightness as the key factor for projectors on larger screens?
post #10 of 23 Old 09-05-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had a dlp in the past, 3x with rgbw color wheel, I think it was an epson but may be wrong as it was over 10 years ago. I didn't keep it very long because I am sensitive to the rainbow effect. I know theaters are still using dlp and I haven't seen the rainbow effect in them for many years like I used to maybe 6-8 years ago, but my guess is they are running wheel speeds higher now than what is common for home dlp projectors?

The two projector idea is interesting, but I'm not sure I'm up for ongoing calibration and alignment...

I've had an anamorphic lens and slide setup years ago as well, but my wife was not a fan of it as it was manual and I sold it when I got the panny. I think that's about a 20% boost in brightness? That would help some if I went back to that but cost wise I might opt for a LK990 or 970 to get more lumens vs running an anamorphic lens again due to the higher cost of the setup and I'd need one that's motorized.

New question, for those with larger screens like my 170", are most people not focusing on HDR? If people aren't focusing on HDR what do they find the more important factors to pay attention to or best value projectors for large screens? I see some people focusing on contrast ratio, blacks, ambient light control (not an issue for me). Have people moved away from Brightness as the key factor for projectors on larger screens?
Unfortunately there's a lot working against you here. HDR wants a lot of light which is directly at odds with such a huge screen. You are almost going to have to have an anamorphic lens and you'll still need something with a ton of light to make it work. I really don't know of a good solution under $10k. The DLP option is the closest I can come up with. But rainbows are a risk. Sony has a 5000 lumen laser projector, but that's way out of this price range. You might be able to get a decently bright picture with an Epson 5050 + lens with its highest bulb and picture mode. But the color accuracy won't be great. And as the bulb ages you'll definitely notice a drop off.

Stacking projectors is rarely endorsed by most calibrators, so you're probably wise to avoid it. I think the precision needed is just to hard to get right and maintain.

post #11 of 23 Old 09-05-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately there's a lot working against you here. HDR wants a lot of light which is directly at odds with such a huge screen. You are almost going to have to have an anamorphic lens and you'll still need something with a ton of light to make it work. I really don't know of a good solution under $10k. The DLP option is the closest I can come up with. But rainbows are a risk. Sony has a 5000 lumen laser projector, but that's way out of this price range. You might be able to get a decently bright picture with an Epson 5050 + lens with its highest bulb and picture mode. But the color accuracy won't be great. And as the bulb ages you'll definitely notice a drop off.

Stacking projectors is rarely endorsed by most calibrators, so you're probably wise to avoid it. I think the precision needed is just to hard to get right and maintain.
I know Epson makes some large venue projectors, up to 300 inches diagonally, that do 4k enhancement. The G7500U is such a projector. 6500 lumens . I can't speak at all to the picture quality. They start at under $5K. Some do not come with a lens. You pick your lens and buy it separately.

post #12 of 23 Old 09-05-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unfortunately my experience with business class projectors is that you are sacrificing contrast, color accuracy and any sort of calibration controls for lumens. They put out a TON of light and look fine showing a Powerpoint, but they usually don't look great when asked to do movie duty.

post #13 of 23 Old 09-05-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately my experience with business class projectors is that you are sacrificing contrast, color accuracy and any sort of calibration controls for lumens. They put out a TON of light and look fine showing a Powerpoint, but they usually don't look great when asked to do movie duty.
That has been my experience as well.

post #14 of 23 Old 09-05-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:

--

Thoughts?
These are some screen shots of my UHD50 on a ~145in low gain grey painted screen:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58441162

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58340808

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58387974

The HDR effect and better colour is readily apparent and very much nicer to watch than the SDR version of the same film and 4K sharpness and detail is exquisite, especially for films mastered in 4K. It seems to me that the apparent brightness of a projector in a darkened room is probably similar to a TV in a lit room.

The UHD50 (via firmware update)/UHD51A are BD 3D ready. The UHD51ALV is a high brightness version and may be replaced by the UHD52ALV in a few months. I'm not really suggesting that these might meet your needs but it might be worth setting one up in your theatre so you can take a look at one to decide if the brightness and resolution is want you want.

This is 1080P but it is HDR ready:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...tor-Review.htm

and is very bright.

Last edited by DunMunro; 09-05-2019 at 12:15 PM.
post #15 of 23 Old 09-05-2019, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12522 Post(s)
Liked: 10133
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
You could run dual PJ's for a great HDR image. How about dual Epson 5040's for less than $3k (refurb deal)? That would give you 1000-2000 lumens (CALIBRATED lumens) depending on your color mode in medium lamp mode (way more in high lamp mode if you need it!).
With DCI P3 filter in place on the 540, you do not get very much brightness. Stacked 5040 calibrated with DCI P3 filter are not brighter than a single RS2000 with DCI P3 filter.
post #16 of 23 Old 09-05-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
With DCI P3 filter in place on the 540, you do not get very much brightness. Stacked 5040 calibrated with DCI P3 filter are not brighter than a single RS2000 with DCI P3 filter.
Not that I think stacking is a good idea, but the 5040 still pulls off decent HDR without the filter in place. Just less color coverage. Either way I still wouldn't advise stacking as I haven't seen any calibrator or installer endorse it lately.

post #17 of 23 Old 09-05-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Ideally 50 foot lamberts are recommended for HDR. The Lumagen HDR tone mapping can significantly reduce that number and provide a great HDR image. Keep in mind that @SteveFred setup achieves that 30 foot lamberts using an older anamorphic lens to increase the brightness to the screen. Those two pieces of gear when purchased new, anamorphic lens and video processor, add between $10k and $12k to your home theater setup. Not saying it isn't worth it just something to consider.

Yes DTM reduces the needed brightness for good HDR considerably and with JVC's announcement of firmware adding DTM to the 1000, 2000 and 3000, people will be able to do larger screens. Not 180" wide low gain, but larger than before.
post #18 of 23 Old 09-05-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yes DTM reduces the needed brightness for good HDR considerably and with JVC's announcement of firmware adding DTM to the 1000, 2000 and 3000, people will be able to do larger screens. Not 180" wide low gain, but larger than before.
Thank you Mike it's an honor to be quoted by you honestly. For those not familiar DTM stands for dynamic tone mapping. Mike is referring to JVC announcement of a firmware update in November for the 4K native projectors for JVC adding Dynamic tone mapping instead of just auto tone mapping based which is based upon metadata from the disc. it is pretty amazing they are able to do this via a firmware update. So for people like the original poster who are looking for a larger screen without adding a lumagen Pro or even an anamorphic lens great HDR sounds like it's just right around the corner for the native 4K projectors from JVC after this firmware update.

post #19 of 23 Old 09-05-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Not that I think stacking is a good idea, but the 5040 still pulls off decent HDR without the filter in place. Just less color coverage. Either way I still wouldn't advise stacking as I haven't seen any calibrator or installer endorse it lately.
Correct. I was pointing out that you could not use the filter. I agree about the stacking. I would change the fabric to Severtson microperf go with an RS2000 and DCR lens. That combination at short throw should be able to get you 25/26FL. With JVC's new DTM you should get pretty good HDR down to around 18FL. In 2 or 3 years, when hopefully we have brighter laser options, replace the projector. The BenQ LK have good brightness, but sounds like the poster will have a problem with RBE with those.
post #20 of 23 Old 09-10-2019, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info, it's making me rethink trying to focus on great HDR on a large screen for now. Considering things like tone mapping seem to be in infancy for most projector manufacturers, I'm debating on waiting in general for another year. I did look into Epsons G series with 6k+ lumens but only the 7905 seemed to have an /okay/ review and it's 3 years old. Epsons new G series are all $10k+ and out of my budget.

I looked at the projectors mentioned here and when I had narrowed things down, I realized most commented on didn't have lens memory. I didn't realize that lens memory isn't common on most $3k-$6k projectors. The BenQ 5550 is out, Sony 295 is out (This was a good contender for price), and pretty much all optoma since they are manual zoom. And an unfortunate point as well is that a laser based projector would be nice for not losing lumens as fast, but I never found one that had lens memory and at/under $5k.

There are some high lumen 1080p projectors, but that really tosses the idea of HDR out. I never found one that supported 18gb bandwidth as needed for 4k/60, so unless a player can reduce a 4k/60 UHD source to 1080p/60 and still maintain 2020 and other UHD color gamuts? I couldn't find a 1080p projector that did, anyone know of some... that also have lens memory?

I'm still hoping I can expand my list of projectors, which is currently is frontlined by a 5050UB (Would have been the 295 if it had lens memory), 695 (due to a contact for an insane price), or a nx5 (that would _really_ push the budget and wife for lack of a good street price/contacct).
post #21 of 23 Old 09-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Thanks for all the info, it's making me rethink trying to focus on great HDR on a large screen for now. Considering things like tone mapping seem to be in infancy for most projector manufacturers, I'm debating on waiting in general for another year. I did look into Epsons G series with 6k+ lumens but only the 7905 seemed to have an /okay/ review and it's 3 years old. Epsons new G series are all $10k+ and out of my budget.

I looked at the projectors mentioned here and when I had narrowed things down, I realized most commented on didn't have lens memory. I didn't realize that lens memory isn't common on most $3k-$6k projectors. The BenQ 5550 is out, Sony 295 is out (This was a good contender for price), and pretty much all optoma since they are manual zoom. And an unfortunate point as well is that a laser based projector would be nice for not losing lumens as fast, but I never found one that had lens memory and at/under $5k.

There are some high lumen 1080p projectors, but that really tosses the idea of HDR out. I never found one that supported 18gb bandwidth as needed for 4k/60, so unless a player can reduce a 4k/60 UHD source to 1080p/60 and still maintain 2020 and other UHD color gamuts? I couldn't find a 1080p projector that did, anyone know of some... that also have lens memory?

I'm still hoping I can expand my list of projectors, which is currently is frontlined by a 5050UB (Would have been the 295 if it had lens memory), 695 (due to a contact for an insane price), or a nx5 (that would _really_ push the budget and wife for lack of a good street price/contacct).
I can relate a bit. I'm running a 5040 on a 150" and I keep waiting for a higher lumen alternative to be announced, but it seems like I'll be waiting 2-3 years or so for a solid alternative at a decent price point for good hdr to be available.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #22 of 23 Old 09-10-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
or a nx5 (that would _really_ push the budget and wife for lack of a good street price/contacct).
Contact Mike Garrett posting in this thread. I'd be seriously shocked if he couldn't beat the Sony pricing with the NX5. Feature and performance wise the 2 are close, add in the upcoming JVC firmware that will deliver frame by frame tonemapping and the NX5 is a clear winner IMO.
skylarlove1999 likes this.

post #23 of 23 Old 09-10-2019, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 113
A potential cheaper temporary solution is to look at the new Epson 3700 replacement that will ( I think) be announced this week. It's supposed to have the e-shift and HDR and will throw a very bright image. I don't know after the filter what it will do but with that projector you are trading lumens for black level which in today's world what you have to do on a 170" screen without spending thousands extra. I've had a 5030 and now 3700 on my 150" screen and the extra lumens far outweighs the benefits of black level the 5030 gave me. To reiterate, this is a temporary fix and in no way will be even close to the image of the JVC's etc. but just something to consider to buy time. My guess is you're at the very least going to get a color accurate 2,000 plus lumens and with HDR it's anyone's guess at this point. I'd at least keep it on the radar if nothing else scratches your itch. Keep in mind every time I think I''m going to wait until the technology comes along in the projector world another compromise reveals itself worth waiting another year or two for. It's never ending.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page