JVC Announces Major HDR Update for 4K D-ILA Projectors - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 485Likes

post #331 of 575 Old 10-09-2019, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
cloud gradients as in posteurisation/banding effect ? check that mpc is switched off ? this was a problem with even older JVC... I particularly remember the wonder woman scene on the beach and through the smoke on my x7000... am pretty sure even posted a picture of it on this forum to be advised to switch off MPC... likely impacting the same here.
No its not the MPC, I have all those settings to OFF. I mean that the gradients make the frame adapt go a bit crazy, adjusting the light level up and down (which is the light output for the whole of the picture). Kind of hard to explain but I hope you understand how I mean. It just looked weird and not right.
alebonau likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 575 Old 10-09-2019, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1899 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
Wasn't that CMD?
I think would be right there too ! I got that off too ! was a long time ago turned it off when first saw impact... really shouldn't be seeing gradients banding posterisation in first place

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #333 of 575 Old 10-09-2019, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
No its not the MPC, I have all those settings to OFF. I mean that the gradients make the frame adapt go a bit crazy, adjusting the light level up and down (which is the light output for the whole of the picture). Kind of hard to explain but I hope you understand how I mean. It just looked weird and not right.
CMD ? motion control ?

shouldn't be seeing gradients in first place ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 575 Old 10-09-2019, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
CMD ? motion control ?

shouldn't be seeing gradients in first place ?
I am describing the gradient part wrong and yes I mean MPC (too early in the morning here ) I dont mean posterization gradients, but more like all the different light and grey shifts in the cloud and sky area. Seemed to make the frame adapt go a bit crazy in those scenes. I am curious if other get the same result in these scenes, with the setting on HDR level High and frame by frame mode.
alebonau likes this.
post #335 of 575 Old 10-09-2019, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am describing the gradient part wrong and yes I mean MPC (too early in the morning here ) I dont mean posterization gradients, but more like all the different light and grey shifts in the cloud and sky area. Seemed to make the frame adapt go a bit crazy in those scenes. I am curious if other get the same result in these scenes, with the setting on HDR level High and frame by frame mode.
ah I see ... no worries ....

I see what mean...quite a bit of dynamic range in the picture ? perhaps as you say scene by scene is better choice here and high maybe just too much good thing

I cant wait to watch the movie myself ... been while since seen it
Drem and Craig Peer like this.

post #336 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The following remark is mentioned on the firmware update version 3.1:

The "Pin cushion correction" function cannot be used after executing this upgrade.
If you continue to use "Pin cushion correction" function please use "v2.10" firmware.

Can you please explain what Pin cushion is?
post #337 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5235 Post(s)
Liked: 3405
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRP-600M View Post

The "Pin cushion correction" function cannot be used after executing this upgrade.
If you continue to use "Pin cushion correction" function please use "v2.10" firmware.

It's that horrible digital correction for not having your screen plumb on the wall. No one should ever use pincushion or keystone.
Pincushion is that effect where say the middle of the screen is closer to the lens than the edges so it sort of looks like a fluffed pillow.
alebonau likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #338 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
It's that horrible digital correction for not having your screen plumb on the wall. No one should ever use pincushion or keystone.
Pincushion is that effect where say the middle of the screen is closer to the lens than the edges so it sort of looks like a fluffed pillow.
Thanks.
How that could happan?
post #339 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Thanks.
How that could happan?
It could also happen if you have a curved screen. For most users it should not be necessary.
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #340 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Thanks.

How that could happan?
It your wall framing wasn't true then hanging drywall accentuates the unevenness. Two sheets of drywall butting up against each other right at dead center of the center of you screen ,with tape and spackle making the seam protrude out further from the wall, would exaggerate the unevenness of the wall. That is why a true wall is very important. Especially right where the screen will be hung.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #341 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12543 Post(s)
Liked: 10160
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post

Pincushion correction is like keystone correction in a projector. A feature that should not be used. But its purpose is for those that have a horizontal expansion lens, a flat screen and a shorter throw. The shorter the throw, the worse the pincushion gets. Pincushion correction was designed to correct the curvature in the image. But like keystone, it comes at a cost. The correct way to correct for pincushion with a horizontal expansion lens is to use a curved screen.

Also you can get pincushion in an image due to a defect in the lens. Many people have posted pictures of their projector image, where the bottom of the image bows up some in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 8.56.13 AM.png
Views:	27
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	2626164  
post #342 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
It could also happen if you have a curved screen. For most users it should not be necessary.
A curved screen without an A-lens gives you barrel distortion. You are correct with a curved screen and an A-lens, unless the curve is perfect, you will end up with either a little bit of pincushion or barrel distortion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 9.04.50 AM.png
Views:	28
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	2626170  

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 10-10-2019 at 07:10 AM.
post #343 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 539
What if you really need a little bit of keystone adj in your environment? Is keystone still supported with the 3.1 firmware?

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #344 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
What if you really need a little bit of keystone adj in your environment? Is keystone still supported with the 3.1 firmware?
If it was there before, then yes, it will still be there.
bwillcox likes this.
post #345 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 1229
Quote:
I am really amazed what the new frame adapt does to the picture. But from my brief testing yesterday I have a concern. In some scenes, seemed to be always with cloud gradients in the background. The Light level in the scene goes up and down a bit to much, with the frame adaption adjusting. I dont know how to better explain this. I can give some example scenes, however I dont have the exact h and m mark right now..

Thor Ragnarok - when Thor meets grandmaster the first time, sitting tied in the chair. The scene with grand master sitting between the two ladies arguing.

Wonderwoman - on the beach, when she dragged the pilot out of the water and says "youre a man.."

Star Wars Last Jedi - when Luke and Rey are on the cliff talking about the force, and he tickles her with the feather.

Watch these scenes, with HDR level on high, and frame by frame mode. Things get better with HDR level at medium or low, but then I think the picture seems more dull. Changing to scene by scene also makes things better, seeing the frame adaption not constantly adjusting.

Like I said this was initial testing, I will try more tonight to see if I can find a setting without issues.

Skickat från min SM-G973F via Tapatalk
I would try switching to scene by scene instead of frame by frame.

This is just a guess, but I would assume some of the DTM algorithm is looking for highlights, which will always have gradients as opposed to just solid patches of one color. A lens flare or a bright light in a dark scene is an extreme gradient, where a bright wall color is far more consistent, so it would ignore a gentle gradient more than it would a more extreme gradient. Once it determines there are highlights in a scene it will apply an appropriate tone map to make those highlights pop more. But what if the background was all gradients, like in this case with a lot of clouds on a bright sky? The tone mapping would be constantly adjusting to keep the peaks from crushing, and the result would be the tone map constantly changing, if this is adjusting frame by frame. I would also guess that scene by scene averages more frames to ease up on the constant changes, and allow for the scenes like this to be more stable.

It's speculation, but it would seem that frame by frame will only work if there aren't any extreme frames like this where you have dark parts of the screen and a heavy gradient bright backdrop, or vice versa, a dark scene with lots of shadows and some very bright lights that are changing (like a torch in a cave scene).

The more people use this, the more it will become clear which mode is best. I switched to scene by scene and didn't notice much of a difference so I left it, figuring that in some cases it might be best. My goal is to have a "set it and forget it" mode, so whatever works best most of the time is what I will end up leaving on..
Drem, bwillcox, rwestley and 1 others like this.
post #346 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2083 Post(s)
Liked: 1388
I installed it last night. I'm using frame by frame, wide color (BT2020 filter) and medium (high looked a bit washed out on my 130" scope screen). MPC settings off. Iris Auto-1 and apeture -3 (still no noticeable yellowing). High lamp.

Watched clips from Blade Runner, Blade Runner 2049, Avengers: IW, and Avengers:EG. All of the content looked the best it ever has. The Disney titles with no metadata saw the most improvement. No odd fluctuations in the clips I watched.

This firmware is the real deal. I feel like it's going to be a must have feature going forward and the other manufacturers competing at these price points will need to catch up here quickly. Very well done JVC.
smitty, Drem, cemo62 and 2 others like this.

post #347 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
I installed it last night. I'm using frame by frame, wide color (BT2020 filter) and medium (high looked a bit washed out on my 130" scope screen). MPC settings off. Iris Auto-1 and apeture -3 (still no noticeable yellowing). High lamp.

Watched clips from Blade Runner, Blade Runner 2049, Avengers: IW, and Avengers:EG. All of the content looked the best it ever has. The Disney titles with no metadata saw the most improvement. No odd fluctuations in the clips I watched.

This firmware is the real deal. I feel like it's going to be a must have feature going forward and the other manufacturers competing at these price points will need to catch up here quickly. Very well done JVC.
Thank you for that feedback especially about the discs that didn't have any metadata to begin with if you don't mind me asking what bluray player are you using and if you are using a Panasonic do you have the optimizer on or off or you just passing the signal through without having the Panasonic do any processing at all

post #348 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
No, you can not use pin cushion adjustment after the 3.1 update because that memory space is now being used by frame adapt HDR function. However, there is almost never a need to use the pin cushion adjustment as in most cases it can be remedied by proper orientation of the projector or screen.
post #349 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
No, you can not use pin cushion adjustment after the 3.1 update because that memory space is now being used by frame adapt HDR function. However, there is almost never a need to use the pin cushion adjustment as in most cases it can be remedied by proper orientation of the projector or screen.
Well, I wasn't asking about pin cushion adjustment. My question was specifically about keystone adjustment, and Mike already answered it.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #350 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Thank you for that feedback especially about the discs that didn't have any metadata to begin with if you don't mind me asking what bluray player are you using and if you are using a Panasonic do you have the optimizer on or off or you just passing the signal through without having the Panasonic do any processing at all

Panasonic UB820 with the Optimizer OFF. The only thing I have the Panasonic doing picture wise is 1 tick of high frequency sharpness being added.

post #351 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Panasonic UB820 with the Optimizer OFF. The only thing I have the Panasonic doing picture wise is 1 tick of high frequency sharpness being added.
Thank you for the quick reply. have you tried feeding any content to the projector with the optimizer on just for comparison purposes?

post #352 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
In using the Oppo UHD-205 and the new 3.1 FW, what would the Oppo settings need to be to simply allow the RS3000 to take care of everything for DTM?
post #353 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4471 View Post
In using the Oppo UHD-205 and the new 3.1 FW, what would the Oppo settings need to be to simply allow the RS3000 to take care of everything for DTM?
Source Direct
cemo62 likes this.
post #354 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. have you tried feeding any content to the projector with the optimizer on just for comparison purposes?

Briefly. At first I couldn't figure out how to get the optimizer off. Accessing the optimizer while playing Blade Runner would allow me to change settings in the Optimizer but not turn it off. After stopping playback I was able to get the menu up to turn it off. The brief time I was feeding DTM material tonemapped to 500 nits it looked fine, but turning the optimizer off seemed to produce more pronounced highlights and greater depth. But that was just on that one small sequence and not a very thorough evaluation. Still from my memory of recently watching Blade Runner all the clips did seem to exhibit more depth, color pop and brighter highlights with DTM and the optimizer off. I may play with it more this weekend. I'll certainly be keeping my eyes on the various threads to see what others discover.

Last edited by jeahrens; 10-10-2019 at 02:30 PM.
post #355 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
Source Direct

I have the Cambridge CXUHD. I just switched from “Auto” to “Source Direct”. I don’t see much difference on a scene I have paused on Captain Marvel. Is there supposed to be a significant difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #356 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th601 View Post
I have the Cambridge CXUHD. I just switched from “Auto” to “Source Direct”. I don’t see much difference on a scene I have paused on Captain Marvel. Is there supposed to be a significant difference?

If you weren't doing any sort of tonemapping in the player, then no it wouldn't. Players like the Oppo or Panasonic UB420/820/9000 can provide their own static tonemapping which would impact what this new firmware is doing. So the suggestion on the Oppo to enable source direct would ensure all of this is bypassed. But if your player doesn't have that feature (or it's not enabled) you won't see a significant difference (likely none at all) switching from auto to direct.
Th601 likes this.

post #357 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
If you weren't doing any sort of tonemapping in the player, then no it wouldn't. Players like the Oppo or Panasonic UB420/820/9000 can provide their own static tonemapping which would impact what this new firmware is doing. So the suggestion on the Oppo to enable source direct would ensure all of this is bypassed. But if your player doesn't have that feature (or it's not enabled) you won't see a significant difference (likely none at all) switching from auto to direct.

Oh ok. I don’t think my player has a tone mapping feature. Do you think I should leave the Output Resolution on Source Direct or Auto in my player? Or does it really not matter?

post #358 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Briefly. At first I couldn't figure out how to get the optimizer off. Accessing the optimizer while playing Blade Runner would allow me to change settings in the Optimizer but not turn it off. After stopping playback I was able to get the menu up to turn it off. The brief time I was feeding DTM material tonemapped to 500 nits it looked fine, but turning the optimizer off seemed to produce more pronounced highlights and greater depth. But that was just on that one small sequence and not a very thorough evaluation. Still from my memory of recently watching Blade Runner all the clips did seem to exhibit more depth, color pop and brighter highlights with DTM and the optimizer off. I may play with it more this weekend. I'll certainly be keeping my eyes on the various threads to see what others discover.
Thank you for that very detailed explanation of what you witnessed with optimizer on versus optimizer off. I would imagine with all the brightest parts and darkest parts of the film being sent to the projector in its original form the DTM algorithm has more information to optimize the image itself, which should lead to better specular highlights and more shadow detail.

post #359 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th601 View Post
Oh ok. I don’t think my player has a tone mapping feature. Do you think I should leave the Output Resolution on Source Direct or Auto in my player? Or does it really not matter?

If the player has a good upscaling chip in it, might want to use it to handle Blu Ray 2K -> 4K scaling. I know the UB820 I have does a better job with scaling than the Sony UHD player I used before it or the NX7 does. Since you aren't tonemapping anything the best advice is to A/B compare things and see what looks best to your eyes. I would guess the Cambridge player has a very nice scaler in it that you'll prefer.
Th601 likes this.

post #360 of 575 Old 10-10-2019, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4471 View Post
if unsure where player is at, just do a factory reset on it... really easily done through the oppo menu. you will actually have output set on auto for resolution ... but it will mean there is no tone mapping happening in the player. if you run source direct the jvc will have to do upscaling as well. so depends what you want. myself i rather leave player to the upscaling ....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page