JVC Announces Major HDR Update for 4K D-ILA Projectors - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 842Likes

post #31 of 1013 Old 09-06-2019, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
I got his point. Sorry you missed mine. So only owners of a JVC true 4K projector are allowed to read the owners thread or the firmware update? I have this crazy notion that I was able to consume whatever content I want, how I want, when I want and where I want because I am a grown man. I wasn't aware that had changed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
You can consume whatever content you want, never said you couldn't. I was just saying that the firmware is really only relevant to Owners of the actual hardware. Just a firmware update doesn't really help non-owners.

So the information should be placed in the first post of the Owner's Thread where it is easy to find along with all the other projector information. That way owners and non-owners can go to one place and get all the latest information on the new projectors.

Not trying to irritate you. Just stating that I agree with Mike and I hope Nigel will add the firmware info to the first post of the Owner's Thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1013 Old 09-06-2019, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12710 Post(s)
Liked: 10331
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I got his point. Sorry you missed mine. So only owners of a JVC true 4K projector are allowed to read the owners thread or the firmware update? I have this crazy notion that I was able to consume whatever content I want, how I want, when I want and where I want because I am a grown man. I wasn't aware that had changed.

Not following. Anybody that is interested in the projector could look at the first post and learn all about the projector. Specs, calibration, features, firmware updates, measured results and more.
post #33 of 1013 Old 09-06-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I think the madVR Envy is finally going to be introduced at CEDIA. It has to be amazing after all the hype behind it. Still wonder what the price point will be. Are we talking hundreds , thousands or ten thousand? Should know soon.

You can strike hundreds. I would leave the other two for speculation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 1013 Old 09-06-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
You can consume whatever content you want, never said you couldn't. I was just saying that the firmware is really only relevant to Owners of the actual hardware. Just a firmware update doesn't really help non-owners.

So the information should be placed in the first post of the Owner's Thread where it is easy to find along with all the other projector information. That way owners and non-owners can go to one place and get all the latest information on the new projectors.

Not trying to irritate you. Just stating that I agree with Mike and I hope Nigel will add the firmware info to the first post of the Owner's Thread.
I am sure Nigel will add, but it might not happen until after CEDIA.
post #35 of 1013 Old 09-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Let's hold that eulogy for a couple days. We don't know what the Epson projector is going to do tomorrow. I know it's probably not going to come true but maybe JVC did this because they know the new Epson projector is going to have Dynamic tone mapping, a laser with 3000 lumens and Native 4K all for $8,000

Isn't Epson's projector the EH-LS500? Or is there something else yet to be announced?

I haven't found an english language source, but I have found this and similar articles:

https://www.epson.com.tr/insights/ar...ifa-da-tanitti

Basically it is a 3LCD 4000 lumen ultra short throw laser projector... 4K enhancement. This may interest some people, but I need a traditional projector with lens memory since I run CIH... I was really hoping for a LS11000.

I am DanLW.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...103-danlw.html
post #36 of 1013 Old 09-06-2019, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlw2 View Post
Isn't Epson's projector the EH-LS500? Or is there something else yet to be announced?

I haven't found an english language source, but I have found this and similar articles:

https://www.epson.com.tr/insights/ar...ifa-da-tanitti

Basically it is a 3LCD 4000 lumen ultra short throw laser projector... 4K enhancement. This may interest some people, but I need a traditional projector with lens memory since I run CIH... I was really hoping for a LS11000.
Yes I was led to believe a pseudo replacement for the 10500 was to be unveiled. Very perplexed and disappointed

post #37 of 1013 Old 09-06-2019, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
You can strike hundreds. I would leave the other two for speculation.
Come on man!!! Said in my worst Chris Berman impersonation.

post #38 of 1013 Old 09-06-2019, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post

I will accept your apology, even as poorly as you crafted it. You definitely had an elitist tone in your reply and even in this reply. Why wouldn't prospective owners be just as interested in the firmware update as current owners? Trying to mention Nigel and his business like I am not aware of him and his contributions to the owner's thread certainly seemed like you were trying to big boy me. Telling me I missed the point? Know your audience and your delivery. You could have chosen to try to persuade me to see things from your perspective by empathizing first, and then eloquently stating your reasons for why you hoped Nigel would link this post to the first page on the owners thread. Instead of making an ally you chose to rub another the wrong way not once, but twice. And why? Not sure myself. But I have wasted far too much energy on this negativity. Godspeed.

post #39 of 1013 Old 09-07-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Well, I'm quite interested to hear from others how well this performs as it might help sway me more towards the JVC units.
matted and krholmberg like this.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #40 of 1013 Old 09-07-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
I will accept your apology, even as poorly as you crafted it. You definitely had an elitist tone in your reply and even in this reply. Why wouldn't prospective owners be just as interested in the firmware update as current owners? Trying to mention Nigel and his business like I am not aware of him and his contributions to the owner's thread certainly seemed like you were trying to big boy me. Telling me I missed the point? Know your audience and your delivery. You could have chosen to try to persuade me to see things from your perspective by empathizing first, and then eloquently stating your reasons for why you hoped Nigel would link this post to the first page on the owners thread. Instead of making an ally you chose to rub another the wrong way not once, but twice. And why? Not sure myself. But I have wasted far too much energy on this negativity. Godspeed.

You really seem to be irritated with the notion that the owner's thread has always provided all information needed for the product, which includes firmware update information. That's why it's the owner's thread. However, if you want to follow a separate thread for firmware updates, that's great. You'll be the only one following it, while the rest will be in the correct thread.
post #41 of 1013 Old 09-07-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan View Post
Well, I'm quite interested to hear from others how well this performs as it might help sway me more towards the JVC units.
Measuring HDR frame by frame should be a huge positive for these projectors. I cannot think of a reason it would not provide a positive experience. I have been using Madvr DTM for 2 months and it's great to not tone map the entire movie at the highest nit that the movie provides in one frame. I probably will not use it for majority of material I watch, for I use Madvr but I wonder how it works for gaming.
post #42 of 1013 Old 09-07-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Realistically, unless Mark posts a review of the firmware here, or someone collates posts from elsewhere, all of the analysis will be in the owners' thread in 4-7 weeks time when it gets released. I don't think there's anything high and mighty about this, just pragmatism as that is where the owners who will be installing the firmware will be discussing it. Maybe we'll get some IFA and CEDIA impressions here, but so far the only post with a short impression from IFA was posted in the owners' thread here.
seanbryan, Craig Peer and GregCh like this.
post #43 of 1013 Old 09-07-2019, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
I wonder why this is only for 4k pj's.

Eshift pj's that accept 4k input would benefit just as much, right?
Sure any manufacturer could add the benefits, but we know Epson is one of those manufacturers who doesn't really care what the people say (remember how long they denied those psu 5040 failures?).

I run an Epson 5040 and use MadVR which is probably vastly superior to this new jvc processing update and its definitely better than anything Epson would implement its self.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
markmon1 likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #44 of 1013 Old 09-07-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
I wonder why this is only for 4k pj's.

Eshift pj's that accept 4k input would benefit just as much, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinEric View Post
Maybe their processing capabilities aren't up to the task, or just a matter of development resources? Not sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Sure any manufacturer could add the benefits, but we know Epson is one of those manufacturers who doesn't really care what the people say (remember how long they denied those psu 5040 failures?).

I run an Epson 5040 and use MadVR which is probably vastly superior to this new jvc processing update and its definitely better than anything Epson would implement its self.
Ekki Schmidt did a tear down on his site, and the new JVCs have a very large/expensive (considering the price of the RS1000/NX5) FPGA, somewhat comparable to the Lumagen Radiance Pro. I'd assume the likes of CMD (which supports 4k60) is implemented here too, where earlier models required a trip to the factory to update even though those models had RS232 updatable firmware.
post #45 of 1013 Old 09-07-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
Realistically, unless Mark posts a review of the firmware here, or someone collates posts from elsewhere, all of the analysis will be in the owners' thread in 4-7 weeks time when it gets released. I don't think there's anything high and mighty about this, just pragmatism as that is where the owners who will be installing the firmware will be discussing it. Maybe we'll get some IFA and CEDIA impressions here, but so far the only post with a short impression from IFA was posted in the owners' thread here.
I totally understand the pragmatism and get it why owners would prefer the central location of information. I was objecting to the way that preference was stated. You stated it eloquently. I appreciate you doing so. Thank you.

post #46 of 1013 Old 09-07-2019, 09:23 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 363 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Ok let’s move on guys...

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #47 of 1013 Old 09-07-2019, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 69
OK... i have some news from IFA 2019.

Thats new FW is still in beta, but have amazing proress but there is still some usk...

1)on BETA firmware you can´t calibrate color profil (color temparature and els)
2)thats improvement is on setup GAMA, so you will choice there new improvement instead HDR(PQ)
3)this will not fix DIY problem, but JVC works on it...

this info i have directly from JVC Peter Hess
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3881.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2612290  
Spizz, Tom Bley, Drem and 5 others like this.
post #48 of 1013 Old 09-07-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddle View Post

Thats new FW is still in beta, but have amazing proress but there is still some usk...

2)thats improvement is on setup GAMA, so you will choice there new improvement instead HDR(PQ)

Thank you for the update. Very kind of you to take the time to post.

post #49 of 1013 Old 09-08-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

So from what I understand, JVC is working on fixing the yellowing when the Dynamic Iris is on?
post #50 of 1013 Old 09-08-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:

Further to this HDR Frame Adapt in action on the JVC NX7, beta firmware as per above at IFA 2019-

https://www.areadvd.de/tests/xxl-spe...o-auf-der-ifa/
riddle likes this.
post #51 of 1013 Old 09-08-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Will HDR Frame Adapt handle disc that doesn't have MaxCLL/FALL ???

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #52 of 1013 Old 09-08-2019, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I wonder if this dynamic tone mapping will effect input lag for HDR gaming???
post #53 of 1013 Old 09-09-2019, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post
So from what I understand, JVC is working on fixing the yellowing when the Dynamic Iris is on?

Yes, they worked on this.. Peter Hess is directly from JVC Germany
jh901 likes this.
post #54 of 1013 Old 09-09-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Will HDR Frame Adapt handle disc that doesn't have MaxCLL/FALL ???
Yes, because HDR Frame adapt does not rely on that data at all.
Bruce N and jh901 like this.
post #55 of 1013 Old 09-09-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 298
MadVR Envy and Lumagen external video processors have calibration tools in addition to DTM. Even leaving those aside, and forgetting about 4K for a moment, we must keep in mind that standard Blu-ray remains dominant as far as content. No one who has anything approaching a decent film collection will have more 4K programming than Blu for years to come. It is essential for many of us to have ever better processing for all of this content. I am absolutely certain that the best "mastered" Blu will continue to impress.

So, hopefully JVC will somewhat keep up with what the external processors can do.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
post #56 of 1013 Old 09-10-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yes, because HDR Frame adapt does not rely on that data at all.

Just seeing this news - pretty cool to have them working on this HDR update - wow if pull it off -
so Mike - they just ignore the MaxCLL/FALL data ?
Most media players have issues getting proper data off rips so be extra bonus
if don't have to go back to discs to get this benefit-

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #57 of 1013 Old 09-10-2019, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 12
does jvc make a native 4k/3d short throw laser projector?
post #58 of 1013 Old 09-10-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
Just seeing this news - pretty cool to have them working on this HDR update - wow if pull it off -
so Mike - they just ignore the MaxCLL/FALL data ?
Most media players have issues getting proper data off rips so be extra bonus
if don't have to go back to discs to get this benefit-
Correct. This will work with all HDR sources, with or without the metadata, since metadata is not used.
GPBURNS likes this.
post #59 of 1013 Old 09-10-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodof View Post
does jvc make a native 4k/3d short throw laser projector?
No. Only LCOS short throw laser is made by Sony. This is the only short throw with good native contrast.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/projector/vpl-vz1000es
post #60 of 1013 Old 09-10-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
From the article @Spizz linked above:

Quote:
Other enhancements included in the upgrade: The image settings can be made via a redesigned, clearer interface. In addition, the anamorphic lenses of the DCR series will be supported by Panamorph for the 16: 9 mode. The new free firmware version 3.10 for the JVC DLA-NX9B, DLA-N7B and DLA-N5B / W projectors will be available from November 2019 and will be made available for download on the global JVC support website.
So if this update gives both the much needed "Anamorphic D" mode as well as frame by frame HDR Tone Mapping, this will check off my remaining boxes and give me an early Christmas gift as well as relieve me of the desire to get a Lumagen or the upcoming Envy.

What an incredible surprise, I just hope it comes out before the end of the year and delivers in full...
smitty and coxy2416 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page