JVC Announces Major HDR Update for 4K D-ILA Projectors - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 854Likes

post #751 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Factory reset might be a good idea! I’m about 45 min east of the Berkshires, I’ll just wait and see...
I did the Factory Reset last night and was able to get back access to CMD while in Frame Adapt and the PJ is auto-switching between HDR and non-HDR perfectly. However, I'm still seeing the flicker on start-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Sorry to read you're having challenges with the update. I hope you're able find an easy solution to restore you previous performance, while adding in the DTM benefits.

If JVC happens to read your report here, maybe they can consult with your point of contact, to help get you setup?

[Fingers Crossed]
I hope so. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikemi View Post
Hi Aztar,

I’m pretty sure after updating to f/w 3.10 I also am experiencing the first issue you mentioned—- flickering light on screen before dila logo appears—- not sure it’s related to the di doing anything— I’m newbie with all this so can’t tell exactly. Interested to hear what jvc tells you about this.

Ron
Hi, Ron. I presume you own an NX7 too? What's supposed to happen when turning the projector on is that on start-up, the PJ (regardless of lamp setting) starts in high lamp/high fan and then you might hear a faint iris noise depending on aperture setting as it drops to low lamp, and then the D-ILA logo appears.

Right after updating to FW 3.10, when I started the PJ out of its dormant mode, I noticed the DILA logo itself flicker and thought it was just a one-time thing --and it was for the logo flicker itself. Then the following day, on re-start, that's when I was seeing the flickering in between start-up and logo.

Yes, so I'm still waiting to hear back from JVC. What I'd like to know is what's causing the anomaly and what are its consequences, if any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Yep, DTM is NOT a "Gimmick" ...... its a "NECESSITY"
When Woofer speaks, I listen. If Woofer says it's a necessity, I say it's a necessity.

IF you have time and have the PJs one hand, could you share a comparison of your RS4500 vs. NX9 with DTM? I'm confident DTM will make a noticeable difference.
smitty likes this.
post #753 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 2138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitus4K View Post
Yes! Solid work, my first admirer!

I'm not following you, do you mean the 1080p by 'bluray'?

I thought people prefered the 1080p, and - as for the UHD, I think Scorsese achieved what he wanted with the film in this format.

It's dark, it's gritty, it's shady, mysterious, often times scary, I see no reason to have HDR pop out like a mad man in this presentation.

They probably did what they ought to do, cleaned it up, improved sharpness and textures, adjusted colors, and presented the story as he always wanted.

I've read mixed reviews on this release, and I think the majority of the reviewers and/or people, compare it to other releases which are completely different stories.

What if Scorsese changed his mind on the film and came out unsatisfied with the 1080p release?

This movie in particular is often refered to one of the best movies of all time, I want to have a firm belief that this didn't pass through as 'garbage'.

I am probably in for a massive hate on this one as well, but at times I think people are rushed when it comes to deciding what's right and wrong.

You probably need a very dark room to be amazed with this release.

You guys need to start putting your lamps in 'High' mode!

At times I have a grin on my face when writing these posts, I must admit, I love discussions, no need to flame up on me, I hope you see my jokes.
You make some valid points that very few people know what the directors intention is in regards to color palette, lighting and cinematography. We don't know if any version looked as he intended. We don't know a director makes any changes in the remastering from VHS to DVD to Bluray to UHD . With all that being said, Goodfellas, regardless of intent is a not a prime example of what to expect from a UHD release in terms of resolution, HDR and fine details. It is also like you chose the worst possible example of HDR usage and then decided to use that to test out DTM. But maybe that is how you roll. Start with worst and move to best to analyze all the data points along the way. I am not a JVC owner so I have no stake in the results . I have a 6050 but have a friend who has an NX7. I have seen about 10 hours of content with the DTM firmware update. It definitely is a big improvement over the static tone mapping. Both he and I have triple black velvet on the ceiling back to MLP and on the sidewalls back to MLP, 12 ft for me 15 ft for him. No light whatsoever. Basement home theaters. It is not the room degrading the picture quality. I have a Seymour Glacier white screen and he has a studiotek 100. Goodfellas may be what Scorsese intended and it is a fantastic movie but the viewing experience in any and all formats leaves a lot to be desired to put it nicely.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
You make some valid points that very few people know what the directors intention is in regards to color palette, lighting and cinematography. We don't know if any version looked as he intended.
Lots reference material regarding Scorsese cinematography choices. With Goodfellas, think Public Enemy meets Scarface.

Also an interesting topic... Marty sees RED.

https://filmmakermagazine.com/95481-.../#.XbLzXewpA1J

https://www.indiewire.com/2015/09/wa...orsese-260196/

Quote:
Just as silent movies were rarely silent, black-and-white films were not often simply black and white. In the silent era, the techniques of tinting and toning were commonly used to add a dash of color to the grayscale images.

The tinting process involved bathing the black-and-white print in a colored dye, thus adding one extra color to the footage. (The white parts of the image took on that hue). Toning was a more complicated matter, employing one of several possible chemical processes to convert the black-and-white silver image to another (metallic) element to change the color. (1)

Both methods resulted in a colored print that broke the monotony of straightforward black-and-white footage. The use of these colors became codified: blue was used to indicate moonlit night scenes, orangish hues evoked the light of a lamp or a candle.

The advent of color rendered these techniques obsolete. But Scorsese has resurrected tinting and toning, or the visual impact of these techniques, throughout his directing career. An impressive number of his films feature shots or entire scenes that are drenched in a single color. The color palette is reduced to one hue, resulting in startlingly monochrome visuals. But in Scorsese’s movies, not all colors are created equal: red is his color of choice.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191025-085453_Chrome.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	2632008  

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - Vertex2 - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton

Last edited by Bytehoven; 10-25-2019 at 06:13 AM.
post #755 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
You make some valid points that very few people know what the directors intention is in regards to color palette, lighting and cinematography. We don't know if any version looked as he intended. We don't know a director makes any changes in the remastering from VHS to DVD to Bluray to UHD . With all that being said, Goodfellas, regardless of intent is a not a prime example of what to expect from a UHD release in terms of resolution, HDR and fine details. It is also like you chose the worst possible example of HDR usage and then decided to use that to test out DTM. But maybe that is how you roll. Start with worst and move to best to analyze all the data points along the way. I am not a JVC owner so I have no stake in the results . I have a 6050 but have a friend who has an NX7. I have seen about 10 hours of content with the DTM firmware update. It definitely is a big improvement over the static tone mapping. Both he and I have triple black velvet on the ceiling back to MLP and on the sidewalls back to MLP, 12 ft for me 15 ft for him. No light whatsoever. Basement home theaters. It is not the room degrading the picture quality. I have a Seymour Glacier white screen and he has a studiotek 100. Goodfellas may be what Scorsese intended and it is a fantastic movie but the viewing experience in any and all formats leaves a lot to be desired to put it nicely.

Goodfellas looks terrific on UHD. I think people get the wrong idea of what UHD is. It's not just about blistering highlights, it's about contrast, correct colours, more faithful presentation etc. Goodfellas on UHD is the best it's ever going to look and how it was intended. People seem to think that UHDs should be squeaky clean and digital looking like a new movie but that couldn't be further from the truth.
Bytehoven, DavidHir and jbarteli like this.

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
post #756 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
Goodfellas looks terrific on UHD. I think people get the wrong idea of what UHD is. It's not just about blistering highlights, it's about contrast, correct colours, more faithful presentation etc. Goodfellas on UHD is the best it's ever going to look and how it was intended. People seem to think that UHDs should be squeaky clean and digital looking like a new movie but that couldn't be further from the truth.
2-0 to me!

I'm curious though, what would the addition of JVC's DTM bring to the final image of 'Goodfellas'?

Anyone able to test?
Bytehoven likes this.
post #757 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
I agree it is the best it has ever looked. Do you have a source that the UHD version looks exactly as Scorsese intended? I understand HDR is about dynamic range. Some older movies shine in this format without being bright: Braveheart, Black Hawk Down, Interstellar, Saving Private Ryan and the Matrix. It is entirely possible for the movie to finally be as the director intended and it still only be visually appealing to a very small percentage of people. Some directors, including Scorsese, actually enjoy people debating about all of this and do love thumbing their nose at new technology. Christopher Nolan comes to mind for refusing to accept that newer audio formats could improve his original audio tracks. It is their artwork and they are in control of how it is presented. Doesn't make them right.

Tristan Jones
post #758 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=Vitus4K;58730478]2-0 to me!

I'm curious though, what would the addition of JVC's DTM bring to the final image of 'Goodfellas'?

Anyone able to test?

Two reviewers who didn't like the UHD version and one who absolutely loved it. All subjective opinions based upon our own biases, mine included, of how we feel a film should look.

[/quote

Vitus4K

https://www.avsforum.com/goodfellas-...lu-ray-review/

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/GoodF...lu-ray/161258/

http://whysoblu.com/goodfellas-4k-uhd-blu-ray-review/

Tristan Jones

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 10-25-2019 at 06:34 AM.
post #759 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2411 Post(s)
Liked: 1693
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74 View Post
I agree with you. I find it interesting that people that 5 years ago would say that blooming contrast is not "the directors intent", now can take blooming contrast that hide detail, beacuse the picture will have more "pop".
Odd I've only seen DTM fix blooming contrast on titles like The Meg and Aquaman in the demos. Which material is blooming to remove detail? If you look at the owners thread people were tweaking static tone mapping if they encountered the phenomenon you describe. Now they don't really have to.

Have you seen the DTM firmware?

Last edited by jeahrens; 10-25-2019 at 07:01 AM.
post #760 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
I did the Factory Reset last night and was able to get back access to CMD while in Frame Adapt and the PJ is auto-switching between HDR and non-HDR perfectly. However, I'm still seeing the flicker on start-up.

I hope so. Thanks!

Hi, Ron. I presume you own an NX7 too? What's supposed to happen when turning the projector on is that on start-up, the PJ (regardless of lamp setting) starts in high lamp/high fan and then you might hear a faint iris noise depending on aperture setting as it drops to low lamp, and then the D-ILA logo appears.

Right after updating to FW 3.10, when I started the PJ out of its dormant mode, I noticed the DILA logo itself flicker and thought it was just a one-time thing --and it was for the logo flicker itself. Then the following day, on re-start, that's when I was seeing the flickering in between start-up and logo.

Yes, so I'm still waiting to hear back from JVC. What I'd like to know is what's causing the anomaly and what are its consequences, if any.
They probably just tweaked the startup sequence, but it never hurts to be sure. I'll be honest I'm usually doing other things while the room starts up and haven't paid attention to what the projector is doing before it's fully on.

I figured you were probably using the filter. If the color still feels a bit off, try adding a little saturation. I was surprised on The Martian what just a few clicks did. I've viewed the title several times, so I'm fairly sure I'm not going into crazy over saturated territory with the change.

post #761 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 6564 Post(s)
Liked: 4717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Is this the only symptom? If so, then who cares?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #762 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74 View Post
I agree with you. I find it interesting that people that 5 years ago would say that blooming contrast is not "the directors intent", now can take blooming contrast that hide detail, because the picture will have more "pop".
Disagree. I know of know one who is doing that, at least not those who frequent this forum. If you take time to check in on the MadVR DTM development thread you will find a maniacal devotion to video fidelity and accuracy.
David Mathews and Craig Peer like this.
post #763 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2885 Post(s)
Liked: 2856
Curious: How do the latest JVC UHD projectors stack up to the old RS600 (which I own), in terms of contrast and how much better UHD looks on them?

Thanks.
post #764 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Curious: How do the latest JVC UHD projectors stack up to the old RS600 (which I own), in terms of contrast and how much better UHD looks on them?

Thanks.
Contrast on the NX7/9 (RS2000/3000) is going to be close enough that you should be satisified. UHD with the DTM firmware is much improved over the RSxxx e-shift.
Tom Bley and R Harkness like this.

post #765 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
Contrast on the NX7/9 (RS2000/3000) is going to be close enough that you should be satisified. UHD with the DTM firmware is much improved over the RSxxx e-shift.
I have the X790 and have thought about upgrading to the RS2000 but also wonder if I would be satisfied with the contrast. I have a feeling I’d be disappointed as the contrast levels are 40% less.

For all other aspects I am sure I’d be more then satisfied.
R Harkness likes this.
post #766 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 09:27 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 7505 Post(s)
Liked: 7538
Quote:
HDR and 4K....its all about that. Resolution change adds to picture quality but not as much as you would think, in fact there will be those who do not even see the change. 4K for most adds a crisper, cleaner, and more depth perception to a image.
R Harkness likes this.
post #767 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
I have the X790 and have thought about upgrading to the RS2000 but also wonder if I would be satisfied with the contrast. I have a feeling I’d be disappointed as the contrast levels are 40% less.

I thought the same thing... go find an owner that will allow you a demo or find a retailer that has one properly set up and see for yourself. You will NOT be disappointed!
post #768 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

A fair amount of the disparity has to do with the more aggressive iris in the e-shift series. The flipside is the DI in the new models shows no pumping artifacts. I've mentioned this before but when watching Alita:Battle Angel on a friend's calibrated RS540 and following up with Blade Runner on the NX7 there was no area where the NX7 felt lacking in contrast and both films have a lot of dark scenes to compare (both titles were on UHD disc).
Craig Peer and Mike Johnson 3 like this.

post #769 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
Quote:
I have the X790 and have thought about upgrading to the RS2000 but also wonder if I would be satisfied with the contrast. I have a feeling I’️d be disappointed as the contrast levels are 40% less.

For all other aspects I am sure I’️d be more then satisfied.
I thought the same thing... go find an owner that will allow you a demo or find a retailer that has one properly set up and see for yourself. You will NOT be disappointed!
We are in agreement there. I have seen the RS2000 & 3000 and the picture quality of both are better then my X790.

I have a velvet pit surrounding my screen and it’s the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen that I am more worried about. With the X790 they can get pretty dark. Not sure the RS2000 will be near as good.
post #770 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
I have the X790 and have thought about upgrading to the RS2000 but also wonder if I would be satisfied with the contrast. I have a feeling I’️d be disappointed as the contrast levels are 40% less.

A fair amount of the disparity has to do with the more aggressive iris in the e-shift series. The flipside is the DI in the new models shows no pumping artifacts. I've mentioned this before but when watching Alita:Battle Angel on a friend's calibrated RS540 and following up with Blade Runner on the NX7 there was no area where the NX7 felt lacking in contrast and both films have a lot of dark scenes to compare (both titles were on UHD disc).
This is one thing I do need to revisit with the RS2000 and that is the DI. I do not use it on my X790 as the pumping on HDR material is terrible.

If the DI on the RS2000 works properly in HDR then it would probably be closer then I think.
post #771 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
HDR and 4K....its all about that. Resolution change adds to picture quality but not as much as you would think, in fact there will be those who do not even see the change. 4K for most adds a crisper, cleaner, and more depth perception to a image.
As you said, 4K just adds for a crisper, calmer image with more depth. For myself 4K over eShift was easy to see. The hard part is that you can’t un-see it. Lol

Now when you watch an eShift projector you know the picture isn’t quite as sharp as it can be.
R Harkness, Willie and Craig Peer like this.
post #772 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is one thing I do need to revisit with the RS2000 and that is the DI. I do not use it on my X790 as the pumping on HDR material is terrible.

If the DI on the RS2000 works properly in HDR then it would probably be closer then I think.
I used an HDFury Linker to enable the DI on my RS520. I did see pumping. The NX7 DI has been invisible in action (but less aggressive). I can't comment much on the black bars as my scope screen eliminates them. However with the 1.78:1/1.85:1 material I have watched the unused area of the 1.9:1 panel is pretty darn dark and not distracting.
coxy2416 likes this.

post #773 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 13798 Post(s)
Liked: 11450
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

And yet everybody, there have been many, that has upgraded from an RS540/X790 has not found this to be an issue.
post #774 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Quote:

And yet everybody, there have been many, that has upgraded from an RS540/X790 has not found this to be an issue.
That’s what I have gathered from the forum as well. Very tempting!
post #775 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2885 Post(s)
Liked: 2856
Thanks for the replies.

It was mostly out of curiosity because at this point, and for the foreseeable future, I won't have the money necessary to upgrade my projector (too much of it has been going back in to 2 channel music system purchases).

My plan is to, soon I hope, finally re-wire to be able to get a UHD signal all the way to my projector successfully (unfortunately I had some issues even with the Ruipro cable). Then I'll make the choice between inserting the Panny UHD player or Oppo UHD player. I've been saying this to myself for years now, but I actually had a company come to my place who can do the set up for me, and I'll be finding out the cost soon enough.
post #776 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
Thank you for the links to those reviews.
I own both the UB820 & UB420, having amassed well over 800 hours of CD and video disc spinning. I have yet to experience any audio wow/flutter or video judder, noise or other anomalies from either of these players. Both of them currently fit the bill as stellar spinners, irrespective of their (flimsier?) transports.
docrog,

No-Worries my pleasure .............

Let me add this, as long as the end-user is happy with whatever gear they have that's really all that counts.

It would be a sad, boring world if all of us had the exact same gear ...............

Terry
post #777 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 13798 Post(s)
Liked: 11450
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

It was mostly out of curiosity because at this point, and for the foreseeable future, I won't have the money necessary to upgrade my projector (too much of it has been going back in to 2 channel music system purchases).

My plan is to, soon I hope, finally re-wire to be able to get a UHD signal all the way to my projector successfully (unfortunately I had some issues even with the Ruipro cable). Then I'll make the choice between inserting the Panny UHD player or Oppo UHD player. I've been saying this to myself for years now, but I actually had a company come to my place who can do the set up for me, and I'll be finding out the cost soon enough.
If you had problems with the Rupro cable, then I would be looking at your equipment? Were you trying to use both video outputs on your processor? I know of several cases of using both outputs, causing dropouts or just not working at all.
post #778 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They probably just tweaked the startup sequence, but it never hurts to be sure. I'll be honest I'm usually doing other things while the room starts up and haven't paid attention to what the projector is doing before it's fully on.

I figured you were probably using the filter. If the color still feels a bit off, try adding a little saturation. I was surprised on The Martian what just a few clicks did. I've viewed the title several times, so I'm fairly sure I'm not going into crazy over saturated territory with the change.
Happy Friday, everybody!
My colors were fine after the Factory Reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Is this the only symptom? If so, then who cares?
Yeah...and last I turned it on, it's only one split-second flash before the logo comes on now, which is really nothing. I wonder if having the projector connected to a particular source during the FW update has something to do with this issue. I might just re-install the update without the projector connected to any particular (HDMI cable) source signal.

Also, Lorenzo got back to me with some pointers on how proper color source matching; and I'm still communicating trying to get info on this start-up flash issue.

Still, after the Factory Reset and re-inserting my calibration tweaks, this NX7 looks phenomenal with whatever I've thrown at it!
Bytehoven and jeahrens like this.
post #779 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitus4K View Post
Everything less than 10,000 nits is a compromise.
And any theater with a budget for a projector under about a couple million dollars is a compromise. This is as much a fact as your statement since you can't get 10k nits in a screen over 85" for less (if at all) and since that is WAY too small for a home cinema, it is safe to say that ALL home theaters are a compromise. That makes your statement redundant at best, irrelevant at worst.

We all strive for "the best that we can get within our budgets" and anything that improves things within our budget as much as DTM does is not a gimmick, it is a game changer.

I run a 150" wide screen, and everyone with a larger screen like mine knows from experience that HDR has been a challenge at this size of screen. When I started with an Epson 5040 projector, HDR was unwatchable because, as you have pointed out, 10k nits was not acheivable. Sure, if I had $60k I could go to a Sony 5000es and get a couple hundred nits, but that is still a far cry from 10k nits even though with the minimal amount of tone mapping in the 5000es, HDR would be pretty decent. But when I tried a custom luminance curve on my cheap Epson projector, it made some HDR movies not only watchable, but an improvement over SDR. This opened my eyes to the possibility that tone mapping could make HDR a reality on larger screens even without 10k nits or even with less than a hundred nits. Upgrading to the JVC RS2000 with adjustable tone mapping was a major increase in functionality and truly a game changer. Nobody else could compete on my screen size for less than $60k in a single unit, and at best other brands could only compete with the addition of a processor that costs $5k or more by itself. I could now watch ANY HDR content and the quality was drastically better than when using a static luminance curve that was dialed in for one type of movie.

In fact, the only thing that could make it better was more lumens or tone mapping that analyzed each frame and adjusted accordingly. And when JVC did that FOR FREE, it was once again a "game changer".

See, the "game" is home theaters with sub-million dollar budgets and screens larger than 90", and in this game, only ONE sub $20k projector line can provide the best possible HDR with any HDMI source and with a WIDE margin in quality over the competition, and that means the competition will have to change their game to compete in the future. You CAN have good HDR with 50-100 nits. And it's not really a compromise if it is the best you can get. Sure, you can get a Sony 4k, or even a faux-K projector for less and add a multi-thousand dollar processor to achieve this, but they have done it in the projector for less money, and that is a massive win.

The game will continue to change, usually in small increments, but it will still change significantly over time LONG before we get to 10k nit large displays. For me, the next step is better upscaling while retaining the simplicity of a single source for ALL my content, from 480 all the way up to 4k HDR, without having to spend thousands on a processor and still manually switch modes in my single source device. The new nVidia Shield Pro does that. It has an AI upscaler that will offer a massive improvement over the current upscaling, making it so I don't have to manually change the resolution and use an external processor to improve the upscaling and while an external upscaler might still be slightly better, I will be above the bar I set for myself. This one doesn't "change the game" because most people are satisfied with mediocre upscaling, and the competition doesn't seem to care about having the best all around media player on the market so they won't change their game to compete. But for me it is huge because it saves me a bucketload of money and the hassle of changing resolutions for each type of media for a mere couple hundred dollars. That isn't a gimmick either, even if it isn't a game changer.

If your bar is set impossibly high, that is your prerogative, but to tell everyone else that they are below the standard even when they are already within a hair of the best you can possibly get is just unproductive. I would put my theater display up against any high end LCD TV, and feel it is almost as good as OLED, and since you can't get a 150" wide OLED in a 2.39:1 format for under $20k, that is good enough for me. I have no desire to spend $60k for a marginal improvement, or $200k for a 2-3% improvement, any sooner than I would spend a couple million for a 5-10% improvement. YMMV...
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #780 of 1014 Old 10-25-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Now when you watch an eShift projector you know the picture isn’t quite as sharp as it can be.
Hi, Coxy. I've had a few JVC e-shifters, including the X990. The native contrast numbers are not far off between the X990 and the NX7, and regardless don't tell the whole story.

My X990 at open aperture DI off came in at around 36K:1 in D6500 temp and over 42K:1 in high bright. My NX7, aperture full open, at D6500 color temp came in 31,949:1 but I didn't measure it in high bright.

As far as the NX7's DI goes, mine doesn't flinch when it comes to artifacts. I even had to check it to make sure it was operating, and it was. You can see black levels go deeper but can't see it transitioning where I recall with my X990, I could see pumping on credits.

But here's the whole story. I wouldn't say the last generation of shifters weren't sharp. Mine had a fantastic lens, I thought. The thing with them is that given their larger pixel size, their images can appear coarse and less precise at times; and for someone like me who was accustomed to single chip DLPs, that wasn't always pleasant. In fact, that's why I liked the 4K Sonys so much... because they looked more like DLPs with how their panels responded re: motion and their finer pixels.

Enter the NX7, especially now with DTM, it's a must see. I have mine in a light-controlled room and its combination of color, contrast, and clarity make for remarkable imagery. Motion handling is some of the best I've seen from Lcos technology. Moreover, the perception of contrast is on par with the X990 if not better on the NX7 depsite the numbers. How can that be? I would say it has to do with the smaller pixel gaps in the native series. Imagine looking at a night sky through a window shrouded by a thick mesh screen as opposed to one mated to a screen composed of the finest/thinnest threads.

Lastly, if it's black bars that have you in a tizzy, go for a scope screen or try the Craig Peer two-screen approach.
Spizz, woofer, Craig Peer and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page