53Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 53 Old 09-21-2019, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
LK970/LK990 questions

I've been reading through thousands of posts from the LK970/990 threads and my head is spinning; it's so hard to extract much usable information from the endless calibration arguments... Can anyone who knows this stuff parse it for me and/or point me towards the answers to these questions:

1. Why is the LK990 brighter?
2. Are the color wheels identical?
3. Do both have Smarteco/dynamic dimming implemented in the same way?
4. Why is contrast better on LK990?
5. Is the HDR support on the LK990 worth the $$ considering the limited gamut and color tracking?
6. What are "Dave's Settings" for the LK970/LK990 and where can i find them?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 09-21-2019, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 77
3. LK970 doesn't have Smarteco or dynamic dimming
4. Native contrast is the same, about 1000:1. LK990 has dynamic dimming, so dynamic contrast about 4000:1.
Bytehoven likes this.

JVC DLA-RS500
post #3 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 490 Post(s)
Quoted: 6916 Post(s)
Liked: 6619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarota View Post
I've been reading through thousands of posts from the LK970/990 threads and my head is spinning; it's so hard to extract much usable information from the endless calibration arguments... Can anyone who knows this stuff parse it for me and/or point me towards the answers to these questions:

5. Is the HDR support on the LK990 worth the $$ considering the limited gamut and color tracking?
1. The 990 is not brighter, not at all, in fact, its Brilliant Colour and lack of being able to calibrate it results in maybe 3000lm or so with a half decent calibration, with brilliant colour off, which results in much more accurate colour, the unit I had here was knocked back to around 2000lm. The users I spoke to mentioned the 970 was actually brighter since it seems to be free of the brilliant colour bugs.

3. No, You wont have any sense of dimming with a 970, except the automatic power control thing, but that's never (ever) been proven to actually raise contrast despite subjective assertions (there is no data proving it does), so you would be stuck with 1000:1 at best.

4. The 990 has real laser dimming implementation, but this is only available in full brightness mode, so any manual brightness settings wont be able to be used in this mode, but this takes the native contrast from ~1000:1 to 5000:1, it is a noticable difference to when its off, the projector seemed broken to me without dimming active. The LK970 does not have this feature which is a big con for the 970.

5. I've spent time with the LK990 as I am sure you read by now. If I had to buy one, I would buy the 970 though because the HDR modes are ordinary in the 990 and when enabled the colour temperature takes a hit (brilliant colour bug) which means you would probably want to bypass it anyway with a good tone mapping solution so the in built HDR mode would end up irrelevant.

The other thing with the LK990 is if you wanted to use SDR BT2020 you cannot fundamentally because BT2020 is only available when an HDR flag is present. the projector wont allow you to select colour spaces in SDR mode. The Panasonic UHD players best feature is its HDR Tone Mapping, which requires an SDR Power Gamma to operate, and this is not possible in tandem with BT2020 due to the HDR Flag being the only way to get the projector into BT2020 mode. So you would be stuck with Rec709 if you want HDR Tone mapping.

If they were to fix this what they need to allow is the selection of colour spaces when fed an SDR signal. Right now you CAN change the colour spaces, but only when the projector is fed an HDR flag, which is a contradiction because if you dont have a BT2020 flag present either, the projector WONT go into HDR mode. Thats a massive contradiction.

The LK970 suffers none of those issues.

The last thing, is make sure you are not susceptible to DLP rainbows. I would highly recommend going to view one somewhere.

OR, look at one of the other LED DLP units. Why are you so set on the 970/990?

*Edited for clarity in neat point form.
ARROW-AV likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves

Last edited by Javs; 09-22-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 03:18 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 4111 Post(s)
Liked: 6641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I've spent time with the LK990 as I am sure you read by now. I would not buy either for multiple reasons. If I had to, I would buy the 970 though because the HDR modes are rubbish in the 990, and you would probably want to bypass it anyway with a good tone mapping solution so the in built HDR mode would be irrelevant.

You wont have any sense of dimming though with a 970, except the power control thing, but that's never (ever) been proven to actually raise contrast (where is the data?), so you would be stuck with 1000:1 at best.

The 990 is not brighter, not at all, in fact, its Brilliant Colour and lack of being able to calibrate it results in maybe 3000lm or so with a half decent calibration, with brilliant colour off, which results in much more accurate colour, the unit I had here was knocked back to around 2000lm. The users I spoke to mentioned the 970 was actually brighter.

The last thing, is make sure you are not susceptible to DLP rainbows. I would highly recommend going to view one somewhere.

OR, look at one of the other LED DLP units. Why are you so set on the 970/990?
I think an issue highlighted here is the inability to calibrate the projector to achieve reference color performance; and additionally that you lose significant light output in the process if you attempt to do so.

However, over 3000 lumens with a half decent calibration IS in fact significantly brighter than all of the existing JVC and SONY projectors and puts it about on par with the SONY 5000ES which retails for over 60,000 bucks. This plus the fact it has a laser light engine is the appeal for some folks; those who don't mind the particular weaknesses / negatives of this projector (as I have said, no projector is perfect)

I am not sure it is a great idea starting yet another thread on these BenQ projectors as this splits and spreads the ongoing discussion across multiple threads...

So here's a copy of my impartial and unbiased view regarding this projector which I posted in the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
For the avoidance of doubt I should reiterate my own impartial and unbiased perspective regarding the BenQ LK990, which is as per follows...

No projector is perfect and all have their strengths / positives and weaknesses / negatives. The BenQ LK990 has many strengths / positives plus a few weaknesses / negatives. The same applies to the SONY and JVC projectors. In this particular instance the strengths / positives include (but are not limited to): (1) Laser light engine; (2) 6000 lumens peak light output; (3) DLP technology video chipset / panel, which has many advantages and superior aspects over LCoS (which includes JVC's D-ILA and SONY's SXRD video chipsets / panels); (4) Value for money, with respect to points (1) and (2); and the main weaknesses / negatives are: (1) DLP technology video chipset / panel that is only circa 800:1 native ON/OFF contrast performance; (2) RBE due to being single chip DLP; and (3) Color performance / Gamuts coverage.

With respect to video performance above 5% ADL this projector delivers excellent performance; but its performance with respect to low ADL content is poor as compared with other home theater projectors, including both SONY and JVC.

So IMO this projector is not the best choice for dedicated blacked out environments wherein someone's particular personal preference is for a good black floor and low ADL contrast performance; but with respect to white rooms and/or high levels of enviromental light in conjunction with ALR screens and/or where the black floor and low ADL performance is considered to be acceptable and your desire is for very high light output with laser light engine, then you won't find another projector that's offers this with such a level of performance at such a low price. Furthermore, with respect to projectors that incorporate this particular Texas Instruments 0.67" 4M Pixel Shift Single Chip DLP chipset / video panel, this projector without a doubt offers the best performance versus value for money

Quote:
Here is a tip, pay attention to the actual data posted (I posted a lot of it), and not the sensationalist subjective waffling with no evidence given
Seconded! And thank you for taking the time to do so

This is an Audio Visual SCIENCE Forum after all, so seriously folks, just pay attention to the SCIENCE, and ignore all of the bickering and subjective arguments that are devoid of any scientific substantiation.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 09-22-2019 at 03:23 AM.
post #5 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think an issue highlighted here is the inability to calibrate the projector to achieve reference color performance; and additionally that you lose significant light output in the process if you attempt to do so.

However, over 3000 lumens with a half decent calibration IS in fact significantly brighter than all of the existing JVC and SONY projectors and puts it about on par with the SONY 5000ES which retails for over 60,000 bucks. This plus the fact it has a laser light engine is the appeal for some folks; those who don't mind the particular weaknesses / negatives of this projector (as I have said, no projector is perfect)
Did you get to see the 990 Nigel?

3000 lumens would be good if you could calibrate truly half decent. IMO it wasn't. I guess ignoring measurements it seemed ok until you compared it to a machine with an actual calibrated image and full colour volume for its given white level.

What you think Nigel, is this colour luminance half decent? These are the rec709 results in brightest mode brilliant colour on.

http://imgur.com/a/5Qo1Xo9

With brilliant colour off though at a shade over 2000lm IIRC the results where quite good and what I would definitely call acceptable.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
ARROW-AV likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #6 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
3. LK970 doesn't have Smarteco or dynamic dimming
4. Native contrast is the same, about 1000:1. LK990 has dynamic dimming, so dynamic contrast about 4000:1.
thanks for this MDesigns
Bytehoven likes this.
post #7 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Here is a tip, pay attention to the actual data posted (I posted a lot of it), and not the sensationalist subjective waffling with no evidence given
This is exactly the kind of stuff those threads are full of... the actual data is always embedded in odd characterizations and pointless arguments that have nothing to do with me or my questions. It's exhausting to read through. I'm just looking for information JAV, not opinions, recommendations or unsolicited advice based on previous posts.

If members could answer in point form for each question for like MDesigns did, that would be highly appreciated. Makes it much easier for someone to see the information clearly later. thanks
Bytehoven and Archibald1 like this.
post #8 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked: 3389
If you care about color accuracy, you'll want the LK970. It doesn't have this brilliant color bug where you only get the brightness rated with brilliant color enabled and lose half of the lumens with it disabled. If you care about better black performance and don't care about color accuracy, you can do better with the 990 as the 970 has almost zero dynamic dimming system.

My friend has an LK970 on a 185" 16x9 screen and loves it. It was dave harper's old LK970 so we didnt' calibrated it assuming Dave did, but I don't think he did to be honest. In either case, my friend loves it for TV, Games and Movies. He runs games in high laser and all tv/movies on eco mode laser. It was very bright on that 185" screen. Eco mode on his 185" was comparable to my RS4500 on mid laser on my 135".
ARROW-AV likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #9 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
Quote:

thanks
5. I would say no since the color gamut would be around Rec 709 in either case.
Bytehoven, ARROW-AV and Archibald1 like this.
post #10 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is exactly the kind of stuff those threads are full of... the actual data is always embedded in odd characterizations and pointless arguments that have nothing to do with me or my questions. It's exhausting to read through. I'm just looking for information JAV, not opinions, recommendations or unsolicited advice based on previous posts.

If members could answer in point form for each question for like MDesigns did, that would be highly appreciated. Makes it much easier for someone to see the information clearly later. thanks
Did you read the rest of my post or did you stop only at the first paragraph?

Not only did I answer many of your questions, I gave you even more information you haven't even thought of.

By the way, some of those issues would not be known as common knowledge if I had not mentioned them in those other threads, so be careful for what you are asking, real data or fluff opinions ??

Hmm...

ARROW-AV likes this.

-
post #11 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 05:34 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Did you get to see the 990 Nigel?
Yes

Quote:
3000 lumens would be good if you could calibrate truly half decent. IMO it wasn't. I guess ignoring measurements it seemed ok until you compared it to a machine with an actual calibrated image and full colour volume for its given white level.

What you think Nigel, is this colour luminance half decent? These are the rec709 results in brightest mode brilliant colour on.

http://imgur.com/a/5Qo1Xo9

With brilliant colour off though at a shade over 2000lm IIRC the results where quite good and what I would definitely call acceptable.
No that is not decent and I agree; which is why I have listed Color performance and Gamuts coverage as one of its weaknesses / negatives

If someone wants good colour performance then this definitely is not the right choice of projector.

The fact of the matter is that these BenQ projectors are not designed specifically for use with home theater, they are first and foremost business projectors which BenQ decided to try to sell into the Home Theater market; hence these performance anomalies.

However, this is currently the only long throw laser projector with over 3000 lumens usable light output that costs less than 10,000 bucks so I can see how this might appeal to some people. However, such folks will also need to be willing to accept its weaknesses / negatives, which includes not only the poor colour performance, but also the poor black floor and low ADL content performance, and Rainbow Effect (RBE). Wherein, personally any one of these and I am out, but that's me; others might not find RBE to be distracting, and might be willing to accept the inaccurate colour performance and poor black floor and low ADL content performance in favour of the laser light engine and higher light output. IMO I really don't see this projector having any place in blacked out home theater environments, but in white rooms where there is a lot of environmental light, used in conjunction with an ALR screen, which will be screwing up the colour performance anyway.

That said, even in this application IMO there are better choices, where in fact I would recommend that folks check out some of the new ultra short throw projectors, such the LG HU85LA which retails for $5,999 MSRP and which sports a DUAL Red and Blue laser light engine, without any colour wheel, so no RBE. Coupled with a good ALR screen these can produce a nice looking image in white room / high environmental light applications

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 09-22-2019 at 05:47 AM.
post #12 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not only did I answer many of your questions, I gave you even more information you haven't even thought of.

By the way, some of those issues would not be known as common knowledge if I had not mentioned them in those other threads, so be careful for what you are asking, real data or fluff opinions ??

Hmm...

I read it all, but it's all mixed with information I didn't ask for, and in the form of a rant... I'd prefer point form direct answers, don't need any "by the ways", warnings or you telling me what I should be thinking of. Thanks for your reply, but not interested. please stop spamming this thread.
Bytehoven likes this.
post #13 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
Quote:
I gave [him] even more information
I saw that. But I took it as though ccarota already narrowed down his choices to those two and wanted clarification. I just don't have personal experience with the LKs like I do with the other BenQs.
Bytehoven and ccarota like this.
post #14 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 05:45 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:

Hmm...
Quote:
I read it all, but it's all mixed with information I didn't ask for, and in the form of a rant... I'd prefer point form direct answers, don't need any "by the ways", warnings or you telling me what I should be thinking of. Thanks for your reply, but not interested. please stop spamming this thread.
WOW!

@Javs is one of the very few people who has been properly positively contributing actual decent impartial scientifically substantiated useful information regarding these projectors. That's one serious attitude malfunction you have there...

OK I'm outta here... Unsubscribed... BYE!

Willie and Javs like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 09-22-2019 at 05:51 AM.
post #15 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
I saw that. But I took it as though ccarota already narrowed down his choices to those two and wanted clarification. I just don't have personal experience with the LKs like I do with the other BenQs.
This is exactly right.

I am susceptible to RBEs, so my backup would be the HT9060/HT9050. i know the setup would be different as they are not as bright. If you have experience with those projectors Aztar, I have started a another thread about getting the HT9050 to perform close to HT9060. Cost is a factor as the HT9050 is so much cheaper. Thread here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...questions.html
post #16 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
WOW!

@Javs is one of the very few people who has been properly positively contributing actual decent impartial scientifically substantiated useful information regarding these projectors. That's one serious attitude malfunction you have there...

OK I'm outta here... Unsubscribed... BYE!

Arrow, you actually went back and edited your post to add the exact kind personal attack I'm trying to avoid... There is nothing wrong with me, I'm just trying avoid this kind of toxicity and focus on technical information, as the moderators and other members expect.

As for your own contribution, you haven't directly answered any of the questions I posted, but you've written more than anyone, and then threw some kind of tantrum when you left. This kind of behavior lowers the quality and accessibility of the information readers are looking for, please stop.
Bytehoven likes this.
post #17 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 07:42 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Arrow, you actually went back and edited your post to add the exact kind personal attack I'm trying to avoid... There is nothing wrong with me, I'm just trying avoid this kind of toxicity and focus on technical information, as the moderators and other members expect.

As for your own contribution, you haven't directly answered any of the questions I posted, but you've written more than anyone, and then threw some kind of tantrum when you left. This kind of behavior lowers the quality and accessibility of the information readers are looking for, please stop.
Oh dear

You say you wish to focus on technical information and avoid 'toxicity' and attacks, but proceed to extremely rudely and wholly unwarrantedly attack @Javs who has taken the time to answer many of your questions including pertinent technical information out of a genuine desire to help you. Furthermore, I myself, having noted your statement that you had been reading through thousands of posts from the LK970/990 threads and were finding it hard to extract much usable information from the endless calibration arguments, helpfully posted an impartial and unbiased balanced view and technical information summary for you, again out of a genuine desire to help you; and for what it's worth I was about to make a post answering all of your questions for you as well... But you proceed to not only rudely attack @Javs but me as well! The fact of the matter is that both @Javs and I have been trying to help you and this is how you choose to behave? I don't "throw tantrums" but thank you for the attack. And @Javs doesn't "spam threads" or "rant" either. Word of advice, if you want people "who knows this stuff" to help you then don't be rude, insult them and inappropriately attack them for no reason! Good day to you sir!

Not just unsubscribed, but also welcome to my ignore list

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 09-22-2019 at 04:24 PM.
post #18 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 46
This needs to be rolled into the other freak out threads of the LK970 and LK990. I honestly dont know what's wrong with some people and the LK970/990 its like it killed their grandmother or something.

Honestly the characteristics and stats of the projector place it in a category that has very few members. Normal testing and number for projectors no where near this ones capabilities may not apply in a non comparative side by side subjective view many like to do with projectors much less powerful than this.

Like was said before, this projector isnt meant for a man cave it's marketed and designed for a well lit family room or normal living room. To place it in man cave you waste its capabilities and make try to do something much better suited to a different less powerful projector. If you have the environment this projector is designed for then the other projectors would be unusable and a disappointment.

Like was said many times if you view this projector by itself in the environment it was designed for I doubt you would be able to tell the aquamarine is more aqua than marine. You would just see a very bright picture with brown cows and blue skies and green grass. It may not be the exact green if you paused the picture, zoomed 100 percent held up a reference chart and pulled out your $10000 colorameter and said "AH HAAAA see that, the green is pastel not neon" or whatever shade it's slightly off by.

Go see the projector and ignore the most of the over the top colorameter rantings. It's in a different class and those stats arent showing what you are looking for and arent as relevant in this arena. We almost need a different type of measurement at this level.
Bytehoven likes this.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.

Last edited by TimHuey; 09-22-2019 at 08:40 AM.
post #19 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
This needs to be rolled into the other freak out threads of the LK970 and LK990. I honestly dont know what's wrong with some people and the LK970/990 its like it killed their grandmother or something.
This is true, funny, and sad all at once... I started this thread to be separate from that, but it’s seems impossible to escape.

The opportunity to test one in Toronto is non existent, so I think I will just get the LK970 refurb direct from BenQ and if the RBEs are too severe, return and exchange for a HT9050. The value of those two models at those prices is just too hard to pass up. If neither work, I have 15 days to return and just keep looking. All the other 0.66 laser/led choices are much more expensive and all have their compromises, so I really hope it works out.
Bytehoven likes this.
post #20 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 394
I think this is your best option. In my opinion you need to see if the unit works for you in your environment. If it does,then all the other opinions are just noise. If it doesn't try something else. Everybody has an opinion, I have had my 970 over a year and would not trade it for anything else in my environment. I agree that in a dedicated room there are better choices depending on your priorities.

Quote:
This is true, funny, and sad all at once... I started this thread to be separate from that, but it’s seems impossible to escape.

The opportunity to test one in Toronto is non existent, so I think I will just get the LK970 refurb direct from BenQ and if the RBEs are too severe, return and exchange for a HT9050. The value of those two models at those prices is just too hard to pass up. If neither work, I have 15 days to return and just keep looking. All the other 0.66 laser/led choices are much more expensive and all have their compromises, so I really hope it works out.
Bytehoven likes this.
post #21 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post

If you cant go to the projector then bring the projector to you! But be gentle cause if you dont like it and have to send it back, one of your fellow AVS posters like me will likely end up with it. I'm not quite ready to jump but will be in the next 30 days most likely.
Bytehoven likes this.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #22 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 15
From what i read, the LK990 is a beefed up version of its lesser brother.

A bit heavier and brighter (capable of supporting a larger max. screen size), a bit larger DMD panel (capable of withstanding a more powerful laser beam), packed with more movie related features (HDR) and more power hungry.

LK970 is still a capable unit, but is seems to be marketed towards a difference niche of proffesional applications (simulators, prescision medical stuff and 24/7 operation).

What you ask about color wheel is difficult to answer. Apart from missing official data on thw matter, things are different than other more common, lamp based single-chip DLPs. The way these laser units work is entirely different, using double color wheel systems that from what i understand cater for different laser beams.

In short, if it were about the usual rainbow effect, due to a lamp based color wheel, I could suggest to look for a 5x or 6x speed color wheel and be done with it. Especially with 6x speeds, rainbow effects are basically non-existent. But we aren't talking conventional, lamp based stuff here.

Best thing to do is demo any of the two if possible. I know this is going to be pretty hard considering the rarity of the beast.

Another thing to do is to ask Benq directly for some info on that matter. It'd be interesting to see what they have to offer.
Bytehoven likes this.
post #23 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1079
Quote:

Thanks for your post. Welcome to the forums. Good luck with your projector search.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - Panasonic UB820 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
post #24 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 2222
A good friend of mine purchased the LK970 off me to replace his Sony 760ES.... he is very happy with the Lk970,s performance, he accepts it shortcommings ( ALL projectors have shortcommings) and just enjoys the image.

He doesnt read or post on forums because he is only concerned with the how he either likes or dislikes a product.
post #25 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I answered 4 of your questions directly. Read the post properly. Don't call my post a rant.

In all seriousness, these are not going to work at all for you if you are susceptible to RBE. It was almost nauseating for me, I saw them every single second and it almost made me feel ill at first. It took getting used to for about 10 minutes every time I powered the unit on.

You also mentioned in the other thread you value colour gamut over contrast? Again, these dont even do 100% of Rec709, so I dont know why you are considering these.

Quote:
This exactly what I've found, especially at direct pricing. 4k Sharpness and wide color are more important to me than native contrast, as long as its at an acceptable level, which I know is different for everybody.
Sounds like you should be buying the 9060. That can do 100% of DCI P3. Not to mention supposedly very good dimming system.

What size screen and what gain are you trying to light up?
ARROW-AV likes this.

-
post #26 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

@Javs please leave me alone. For the final time, I’m not interested in your unsolicited recommendations or advice. How many ways can I say this? Back off

This is very discouraging... it’s the first day I’ve spent writing here and I feel super attacked. Some people are great but then it feels a kindergarten for mad scientists. Are all the AVS forums like this?

It’s so hard to read through hundreds of pages, thousands of posts, all intermixed with weird conflicts like this... I won’t participate and facilitate it. I doubt whether I should have posted at all.
post #27 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Javs please leave me alone. For the final time, I’m not interested in your unsolicited recommendations or advice. How many ways can I say this? Back off

This is very discouraging... it’s the first day I’ve spent writing here and I feel super attacked. Some people are great but then it feels a kindergarten for mad scientists. Are all the AVS forums like this?

It’s so hard to read through hundreds of pages, thousands of posts, all intermixed with weird conflicts like this... I won’t participate and facilitate it. I doubt whether I should have posted at all.
Sorry you feel attacked, but that comment confuses me, please point out to me to where I attacked you?

Let me ask you, who called who's post a rant? Isn't that the only attack here? Add to that, the mad scientist, kindergarten references, it actually goes on...

Food for thought... I will leave it at that since you seem hurt for no reason whatsoever.

Peace.
markmon1 and ARROW-AV like this.

-
post #28 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

You're not gonna get a more detailed answer than Jav's. He's done extensive tests on the LK990.

So here's his responses formatted to your liking:

• Lk990 is not brighter, not at all, in fact, its Brilliant Colour and lack of being able to calibrate it results in maybe 3000lm or so with a half decent calibration, with brilliant colour off, which results in much more accurate colour, the unit I had here was knocked back to around 2000lm. The users I spoke to mentioned the 970 was actually brighter.

• You wont have any sense of dimming though with a 970, except the power control thing, but that's never (ever) been proven to actually raise contrast (where is the data?), so you would be stuck with 1000:1 at best.

• I've spent time with the LK990 as I am sure you read by now. I would not buy either for multiple reasons. If I had to, I would buy the 970 though because the HDR modes are rubbish in the 990, and you would probably want to bypass it anyway with a good tone mapping solution so the in built HDR mode would be irrelevant.

And my response:

Pretty sure it is. I saw RBE with LK970, so you might want to demo it first before committing to a purchase.

I don't think this has been proven.

Don't know what's the latest one for the LK970, but here's a link:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57478486
As for the LK990, I think Dave said that a lot of options are disabled in HDR mode and he's not satisfied enough with his settings yet.

Keep in mind that you will still have to further calibrate Dave's settings. That's what other users like Tnaik has done.

Due to LK990's limitation, you are better off getting LK970 + Lumagen for 3DLUT and HDR processing.
ARROW-AV likes this.

Last edited by Waikis; 09-22-2019 at 06:18 PM.
post #29 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikis View Post
Quote:
@Javs please leave me alone. For the final time, I’️m not interested in your unsolicited recommendations or advice. How many ways can I say this? Back off

This is very discouraging... it’️s the first day I’️ve spent writing here and I feel super attacked. Some people are great but then it feels a kindergarten for mad scientists. Are all the AVS forums like this?

It’️s so hard to read through hundreds of pages, thousands of posts, all intermixed with weird conflicts like this... I won’️t participate and facilitate it. I doubt whether I should have posted at all.
You're not gonna get a more detailed answer than Jav's. He's done extensive tests on the LK990.

So here's his responses formatted to your liking:

• Lk990 is not brighter, not at all, in fact, its Brilliant Colour and lack of being able to calibrate it results in maybe 3000lm or so with a half decent calibration, with brilliant colour off, which results in much more accurate colour, the unit I had here was knocked back to around 2000lm. The users I spoke to mentioned the 970 was actually brighter.

• You wont have any sense of dimming though with a 970, except the power control thing, but that's never (ever) been proven to actually raise contrast (where is the data?), so you would be stuck with 1000:1 at best.

• I've spent time with the LK990 as I am sure you read by now. I would not buy either for multiple reasons. If I had to, I would buy the 970 though because the HDR modes are rubbish in the 990, and you would probably want to bypass it anyway with a good tone mapping solution so the in built HDR mode would be irrelevant.

And my response:

Pretty sure it is. I saw RBE with LK970, so you might want to demo it first before committing to a purchase.

I don't think this has been proven.

Don't know what's the latest one for the LK970, but here's a link:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57478486
As for the LK990, I think Dave said that a lot of options are disabled in HDR mode.

Keep in mind that you will still have further calibrate Dave's settings. That's what other users like Tnaik has done.

Due to LK990's limitation, you are better off getting LK970 + Lumagen for 3DLUT and HDR processing.
Thank you for translateting. I’m going to reorganize everything I’ve been learning into another post so someone will be able to find it whiteout wading through all this. Will follow up with my findings when and if I actually get one of these beasts.

Last edited by ccarota; 09-22-2019 at 05:31 PM.
post #30 of 53 Old 09-22-2019, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

@Javs stop harrasing me, I’m starting a new thread or moving to another one, just leave me alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page