6Likes

post #31 of 36 Old 10-07-2019, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by reek852 View Post
The HD Fury Linker is used so the projector can receive HDR. Then I input Dave Harper's settings to fix the image quality. Contrast and black level improve to my eyes, sometimes the image looks like 3D. I use smart eco mode otherwise I feel the image is too bright, I have a 92 inch gray screen. If I feel the need to adjust the settings while watching a film I use a combination of the blu ray player and the projector.
I've been looking into the HDFury, and it seems that they only do only HDR to SDR when downconverting to 1080p. I don't want to re-upconvert again through the PJ, that is not optimal, so I contacted them directly about it, and they confirmed that none of their products can do 4K HDR to SDR, instead pointing me toward the Lumagen Radiance Pro (7000 USD?!?) and the Oppo203 ($1000).

The Panasonic UB9000 and UB820 can both do this (I demoed the HT8050 on the UB9000), not from any sources but from UHD Blu-rays it plays, and possibly the streaming apps it comes with (Neflix, Amazon). I was planning on using my Xbox One X for UHD Blu-ray playback, I'm thinking that the 820 or even 420 (if I can confirm the HDS-SDR conversion and controls are identical to the 820) would be a better solution.

UPDATE: after some research, the only difference i could find from the 820 (besides having a different chasis, build-in power supply, quieter operation and more audio features/physical connections on the back) is that the 820 supports Dolby Vision... I actually prefer HDR10 and since the UHD blu-rays support HDR10 as well, I don't think it matters. I also checked the menus between the two, and unlike the UB450, the 420 seem to have all of the advanced calibration tools that the 820 has. I got one a UB420 last night, and will do my testing with it when the HT9050 arrives.

Last edited by ccarota; 10-08-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 10-10-2019, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarota View Post
I've been looking into the HDFury, and it seems that they only do only HDR to SDR when downconverting to 1080p. I don't want to re-upconvert again through the PJ, that is not optimal, so I contacted them directly about it, and they confirmed that none of their products can do 4K HDR to SDR, instead pointing me toward the Lumagen Radiance Pro (7000 USD?!?) and the Oppo203 ($1000).

The Panasonic UB9000 and UB820 can both do this (I demoed the HT8050 on the UB9000), not from any sources but from UHD Blu-rays it plays, and possibly the streaming apps it comes with (Neflix, Amazon). I was planning on using my Xbox One X for UHD Blu-ray playback, I'm thinking that the 820 or even 420 (if I can confirm the HDS-SDR conversion and controls are identical to the 820) would be a better solution.

UPDATE: after some research, the only difference i could find from the 820 (besides having a different chasis, build-in power supply, quieter operation and more audio features/physical connections on the back) is that the 820 supports Dolby Vision... I actually prefer HDR10 and since the UHD blu-rays support HDR10 as well, I don't think it matters. I also checked the menus between the two, and unlike the UB450, the 420 seem to have all of the advanced calibration tools that the 820 has. I got one a UB420 last night, and will do my testing with it when the HT9050 arrives.
HDFury Linker(or others) are not used to do the HDR-SDR tone mapping, they are used to trick the source to send HDR signal with non HDR-compatible projectors. Then the settings in the projector are used to manipulate the image to look "correct" "Dave's style".

I also have the 420. I believe the only difference is lack of Dolby Vision, which makes no difference with projectors.

JVC DLA-RS500
post #33 of 36 Old 10-10-2019, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
Quote:

HDFury Linker(or others) are not used to do the HDR-SDR tone mapping, they are used to trick the source to send HDR signal with non HDR-compatible projectors. Then the settings in the projector are used to manipulate the image to look "correct" "Dave's style".

I also have the 420. I believe the only difference is lack of Dolby Vision, which makes no difference with projectors.
MDesigns please help me understand... feeding the HT9050 an HDR signal results in mismapped colours and tones, as I’ve seen. The HDFury linker can take a UHD HDR signal and feed it to the HT9050 without remapping tones or colours in the signal, just removing the flag or altering the metadata in someway? The HT9050 handles that signal differently, but how? Should the Linker be used in between the UB420 and the HT9050, and if so why?

Last edited by ccarota; 10-10-2019 at 06:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 10-10-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
MDesigns please help me understand... feeding the HT9050 an HDR signal results in mismapped colours and tones, as I’ve seen. The HDFury linker can take a UHD HDR signal and feed it to the HT9050 without remapping tones or colours in the signal, just removing the flag or altering the metadata in someway? The HT9050 handles that signal differently, but how? Should the Linker be used in between the UB420 and the HT9050, and if so why?
You should not be able to feed the 9050 HDR signal without hdfury. The projector tells the source that it can't display hdr, so the source does not send hdr. This is where hdfury comes handy. You can program it to tell the source that it can do anything you want, so the source will send full hdr. Hdfury doesn't have to do anything but that. Yes the colors are wrong, but then you use extreme gamma and color settings in the projector to make it look what you like. That is what Dave did with the LK970 and liked it. I might try that if I had the 9050 and hdfury, but you probably get better results with sending SDR2020 from the UB420.

I have a JVC RS500, and I am using the linker between the AVR and projector. I am using it to strip the HDR metadata, so the projector doesn't jump to bad stock gamma curve. This projector does HDR, but does it badly, I get better results with a custom gamma curve and use it only when streaming. With discs I am using UB420 with SDR2020.

JVC DLA-RS500
post #35 of 36 Old 10-10-2019, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
You should not be able to feed the 9050 HDR signal without hdfury. The projector tells the source that it can't display hdr, so the source does not send hdr. This is where hdfury comes handy. You can program it to tell the source that it can do anything you want, so the source will send full hdr. Hdfury doesn't have to do anything but that. Yes the colors are wrong, but then you use extreme gamma and color settings in the projector to make it look what you like. That is what Dave did with the LK970 and liked it. I might try that if I had the 9050 and hdfury, but you probably get better results with sending SDR2020 from the UB420.

I have a JVC RS500, and I am using the linker between the AVR and projector. I am using it to strip the HDR metadata, so the projector doesn't jump to bad stock gamma curve. This projector does HDR, but does it badly, I get better results with a custom gamma curve and use it only when streaming. With discs I am using UB420 with SDR2020.
Thanks MDesigns, this makes more sense to me now.. I think I may get the HDFury linker to compare the HDR signal from the UB420 through the linker (with Daves settings) to the remapped SDR signal coming directly from the UB420.

Can you guys confirm this is the product you are using:

https://www.amazon.ca/HDFury-127330-...tronics&sr=1-1

Last edited by ccarota; 10-10-2019 at 10:32 AM.
post #36 of 36 Old 10-10-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks MDesigns, this makes more sense to me now.. I think I may get the HDFury linker to compare the HDR signal from the UB420 through the linker (with Daves settings) to the remapped SDR signal coming directly from the UB420.

Can you guys confirm this is the product you are using:

https://www.amazon.ca/HDFury-127330-...tronics&sr=1-1
Yes I think it is the same. I ordered mine straight from HDFury: https://www.hdfury.com/product/linke...600mhz-scaler/

There are also new more expensive models that can do the same and much more, like Vertex2.

JVC DLA-RS500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page