Finding a projector for 10’ throw distance - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Finding a projector for 10’ throw distance

I’m building a home cinema in a small room where I have about 10’ distance between the tip of the lens and the screen wall. I’d ideally like a 130” scope screen, which means I’d have to use a projector with about a 1:1 throw ratio.

1) I can easily find the throw ratio of any given pj, but is there a list or calculator to do the opposite? Eg given a screen size and throw distance, list all projector models that would fit?

2) I read some posts about using a mirror to increase throw distance. Is this feasible for projectors with lens shift without introducing any keystone issues? Ideally I’d use a projector that uses lense shift and not use keystone correction at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Finding a projector for 10’ throw distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
I’m building a home cinema in a small room where I have about 10’ distance between the tip of the lens and the screen wall. I’d ideally like a 130” scope screen, which means I’d have to use a projector with about a 1:1 throw ratio.

1) I can easily find the throw ratio of any given pj, but is there a list or calculator to do the opposite? Eg given a screen size and throw distance, list all projector models that would fit?

2) I read some posts about using a mirror to increase throw distance. Is this feasible for projectors with lens shift without introducing any keystone issues? Ideally I’d use a projector that uses lense shift and not use keystone correction at all.

In order to use a scope screen you would need a projector with lens memory. Unfortunately, I don’t think there are any projectors with that short of a throw that have lens memory. For some reason only high end projectors have lens memory, and I don’t think any high end projector has that short of a throw. Your best bet imo, is to get a budget projector with a shorter throw and a 16:9 screen. You’ll have to live with letterboxes.

You can use the projector calculator at projectorcentral to find the best fit.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...ulator-pro.cfm

Last edited by bix26; 10-05-2019 at 02:50 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I was going to suggest an anamorphic lens, but I believe they require more distance too. (believe I was at the edge at 15. 5 feet on a similar size screen)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 603
For short throw, maybe look at the BenQ HT3550, though you might want to go with a smaller screen to get better brightness.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
For short throw, maybe look at the BenQ HT3550, though you might want to go with a smaller screen to get better brightness.
That’s an interesting one, it seems to just fit. Unfortunately the much better HT5550 requires a lot bigger throw. How come it seems shorter throw seems to combine with lower budget projectors. I would think that it would be possible to achieve similar throw in higher end projectors too?
post #6 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
That’s an interesting one, it seems to just fit. Unfortunately the much better HT5550 requires a lot bigger throw. How come it seems shorter throw seems to combine with lower budget projectors. I would think that it would be possible to achieve similar throw in higher end projectors too?
That’s a fair question. Don’t know why really.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

There are some higher end UST (Ultra Short Throw) projectors. The LG HU85LA, also the Optoma P1 (no reviews yet, and just started shipping. UST’s are kind of a new segment here in the US. They’ve been very popular in Europe and Asia where buildings tend to be much smaller. There are some good imported options, although the warranty support are not as good.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

These UST’s require specific screens and placement options are very limited (no zoom, no shift).

It seems this new LG HU7LA also has a 1.0 throw ratio but that’s theory as no one has seen the model yet: https://www.whathifi.com/news/cedia-...d-4k-projector

post #9 of 10 Old 10-06-2019, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

But what about using a mirror. Would that work?

post #10 of 10 Old 10-06-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
These UST’s require specific screens and placement options are very limited (no zoom, no shift).

It seems this new LG HU7LA also has a 1.0 throw ratio but that’s theory as no one has seen the model yet: https://www.whathifi.com/news/cedia-...d-4k-projector

They don’t require a specific screen. In a dedicated theater space without ambient light a regular white screen would work just like any other projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page