Finding a projector for 10’ throw distance - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Finding a projector for 10’ throw distance

I’m building a home cinema in a small room where I have about 10’ distance between the tip of the lens and the screen wall. I’d ideally like a 130” scope screen, which means I’d have to use a projector with about a 1:1 throw ratio.

1) I can easily find the throw ratio of any given pj, but is there a list or calculator to do the opposite? Eg given a screen size and throw distance, list all projector models that would fit?

2) I read some posts about using a mirror to increase throw distance. Is this feasible for projectors with lens shift without introducing any keystone issues? Ideally I’d use a projector that uses lense shift and not use keystone correction at all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ijansch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Finding a projector for 10’ throw distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
I’m building a home cinema in a small room where I have about 10’ distance between the tip of the lens and the screen wall. I’d ideally like a 130” scope screen, which means I’d have to use a projector with about a 1:1 throw ratio.

1) I can easily find the throw ratio of any given pj, but is there a list or calculator to do the opposite? Eg given a screen size and throw distance, list all projector models that would fit?

2) I read some posts about using a mirror to increase throw distance. Is this feasible for projectors with lens shift without introducing any keystone issues? Ideally I’d use a projector that uses lense shift and not use keystone correction at all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


In order to use a scope screen you would need a projector with lens memory. Unfortunately, I don’t think there are any projectors with that short of a throw that have lens memory. For some reason only high end projectors have lens memory, and I don’t think any high end projector has that short of a throw. Your best bet imo, is to get a budget projector with a shorter throw and a 16:9 screen. You’ll have to live with letterboxes.

You can use the projector calculator at projectorcentral to find the best fit.


https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...ulator-pro.cfm

Last edited by bix26; 10-05-2019 at 02:50 AM.
bix26 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
armstrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: sarnia, ontario, Canuckland
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I was going to suggest an anamorphic lens, but I believe they require more distance too. (believe I was at the edge at 15. 5 feet on a similar size screen)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
armstrr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 603
For short throw, maybe look at the BenQ HT3550, though you might want to go with a smaller screen to get better brightness.
m0j0 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
For short throw, maybe look at the BenQ HT3550, though you might want to go with a smaller screen to get better brightness.
That’s an interesting one, it seems to just fit. Unfortunately the much better HT5550 requires a lot bigger throw. How come it seems shorter throw seems to combine with lower budget projectors. I would think that it would be possible to achieve similar throw in higher end projectors too?
ijansch is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
That’s an interesting one, it seems to just fit. Unfortunately the much better HT5550 requires a lot bigger throw. How come it seems shorter throw seems to combine with lower budget projectors. I would think that it would be possible to achieve similar throw in higher end projectors too?
That’s a fair question. Don’t know why really.
m0j0 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
That’s an interesting one, it seems to just fit. Unfortunately the much better HT5550 requires a lot bigger throw. How come it seems shorter throw seems to combine with lower budget projectors. I would think that it would be possible to achieve similar throw in higher end projectors too?


There are some higher end UST (Ultra Short Throw) projectors. The LG HU85LA, also the Optoma P1 (no reviews yet, and just started shipping. UST’s are kind of a new segment here in the US. They’ve been very popular in Europe and Asia where buildings tend to be much smaller. There are some good imported options, although the warranty support are not as good.
bix26 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 2
These UST’s require specific screens and placement options are very limited (no zoom, no shift).

It seems this new LG HU7LA also has a 1.0 throw ratio but that’s theory as no one has seen the model yet: https://www.whathifi.com/news/cedia-...d-4k-projector


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ijansch is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 10-06-2019, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 2
But what about using a mirror. Would that work?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ijansch is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 10-06-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
These UST’s require specific screens and placement options are very limited (no zoom, no shift).

It seems this new LG HU7LA also has a 1.0 throw ratio but that’s theory as no one has seen the model yet: https://www.whathifi.com/news/cedia-...d-4k-projector


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


They don’t require a specific screen. In a dedicated theater space without ambient light a regular white screen would work just like any other projector.
bix26 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off