Opinions needed on Marantz vp-15s1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-07-2019, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Opinions needed on Marantz vp-15s1

Hello Forum Members,
Looking for opinions on weather not the Marantz VP-15s1 can still compete with the "advanced" or modern technological projectors. Im absolutely crazy about sharpness and the absence of video noise or minimization thereof. Thinking about getting one but not sure if I want to pull the trigger. Here are some general parameters of my situation.

130" 2.0 gain silver screen(custom made) in a full light controlled room with Dark matte floors, walls and ceiling shooting from 17.5' away. Would the Marantz VP-15s1 have enough mustard to provide a sharp detailed picture on that screen? thanks

Any thoughts, comments etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-07-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by orunmila4 View Post
Hello Forum Members,

Looking for opinions on weather not the Marantz VP-15s1 can still compete with the "advanced" or modern technological projectors. Im absolutely crazy about sharpness and the absence of video noise or minimization thereof. Thinking about getting one but not sure if I want to pull the trigger. Here are some general parameters of my situation.

130" 2.0 gain silver screen(custom made) in a full light controlled room with Dark matte floors, walls and ceiling shooting from 17.5' away. Would the Marantz VP-15s1 have enough mustard to provide a sharp detailed picture on that screen? thanks

You are referring to the 2007 projector correct? I would say ask the seller to demonstrate the projector for you. 12 years of use can degrade image quality. From what I remember it was an excellent projector at the time .

It is possible it still throws a really sharp image. Technology has increased exponentially since 2007. Value would be between $500 and $800 at this point depending upon lamp hours and projector condition. For that kind of money you can find a new 3000+ lumens 1080P projector with much better contrast . The lens would still be better in the older projector which has a tremendous impact on image quality. Lumens on the Marantz brand new was about 1000.

I bought my first projector in 2008 an Epson 6500UB with 1600 lumens. I hooked it up within the last six months . Still threw a pretty nice image. So I won't say the Marantz should automatically be disregarded. The Marantz was a much more high end projector at the time of release than my Epson.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 10-07-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I have a PD8150 which is about as bright as that .. maybe a bit brighter, I forget the spec on the Marantz. I have always wanted the marantz for that massive lens, or at lease I have wanted to see one in person. I am not sure how well it will do on a 130" screen even with a gain of 2. Lamps are very expensive, I do recall that from my research in the past... Not sure what you are looking to pay for it, but I would not go much over $500. These old machines are only worth what people are willing pay and with 4K out, the really old high end stuff has lost it's appeal to anyone not intimately familiar with them. For instance I have 4 PD8150 3 work, one does not plus a pile of parts.. So I am committed to the old tech, I have no want or need to upgrade, just enjoy the image and know if the machine dies, I can swap out the bad part or the entire machine. I am using a 120" discontinued HP2.8 Gain screen with my lamp on low and have more than enough light with the projector and setting in the optimum location. On a standard utility gain screen of the same size I don't think it would cut the mustard on high lamp.. Sorry not giving you a definitive answer, buying used old tech is a crap shoot, have to be willing to kiss you money good bye as it could fail 2 days after you buy it. If you good with that type of gamble, go for it, you could end up very happy.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-08-2019, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Hello Forum Members,

My thoughts are: demo a BENQ 9060 if sharpness is your thing.
Refurbished units are sometimes available at a huge discount.
Although the Marantz is an amazing unit, old tech is what it is. One repair can turn the whole equation into a white elephant.
Sharpness and clarity on the BENQ is astounding. Good luck!
post #5 of 6 Old 10-08-2019, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCyclops View Post
My thoughts are: demo a BENQ 9060 if sharpness is your thing.
Refurbished units are sometimes available at a huge discount.
Although the Marantz is an amazing unit, old tech is what it is. One repair can turn the whole equation into a white elephant.
Sharpness and clarity on the BENQ is astounding. Good luck!
Hello members ,
Thanks for responses I greatly appreciate them. I currently have the infocus x10 which I actually enjoy. Very sharp and absent of video noise with most sources. As stated, I love sharpness and the recommendation that Dr. Cyclops gave me seems fantastic.

Having knowledge of my current projector would I be significantly upgrading by purchasing the Marantz? Or would it be prudent to wait a bit until I find a deal on the Benq or any other insanely sharp projector? Thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 10-08-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 12562 Post(s)
Liked: 10174
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Hello members ,
Thanks for responses I greatly appreciate them. I currently have the infocus x10 which I actually enjoy. Very sharp and absent of video noise with most sources. As stated, I love sharpness and the recommendation that Dr. Cyclops gave me seems fantastic.

Having knowledge of my current projector would I be significantly upgrading by purchasing the Marantz? Or would it be prudent to wait a bit until I find a deal on the Benq or any other insanely sharp projector? Thanks
Compared to the Marantz, you would be surprised at how sharp the Sony and JVC projectors are, though the BenQ 9060 will be a little sharper, but overall image advantage, would go to the LCOS projectors, due to their higher contrast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page