Older High End DLP LED - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 33 Old 11-27-2019, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I have zero desire to argue with you, but out of the slim chance that someone reads that drivel and would believe it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I would not invest that kind of expense into tech this old, but to each their own.
So dollar for dollar I should instead invest into a $1,000 modern budget projector, 500:1 native contrast, 80% rec709 gamut, budget lenses, 50% uniformity, 60% color brightness, compared to the .95 dmd, no color wheel, 180%+ rec709 gamut, high quality lens, led spectrum, and very good dynamic contrast. Im supposed to take anything you say seriously why?

Quote:
If you are viewing with lights on, then contrast doesn't matter, only brightness matters.
I have it setup so no direct light hits the screen but ambient room light is increased for comfortable viewing. Between the screen and room treatments, contrast is maintained and the only negative is an elevated black level(with 2 300lumen lamps on), but nothing like a white screen in a white room with lights on. I'd say black levels are similar to most budget va tvs like samsungs with 5k native contrast. The observations about the rs45s black levels increasing during brighter scenes also applies when the lights are on. And no the typical increased brightness to fight direct light doesn't apply. Plus it's not like I never watch movies with the lights out... Honestly...

Quote:
You're splitting hairs on contrast, for the most part, DLP contrast is DLP contrast.
im no expert, but that doesnt seem to be factual either, even native dlp contrast ranges from 500 to 5000(granted only 300 led lumens for 5k native), and the best dynamic dlp systems provide the best contrast in the world albeit for 6 figures, but if you can get 10,000:1 dynamic at 1% apl on a $1000 used dlp machine then your statement is entirely false.

Last edited by bdht; 11-27-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 11-27-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
I have zero desire to argue with you, but out of the slim chance that someone reads that drivel and would believe it...

So dollar for dollar I should instead invest into a $1,000 modern budget projector, 500:1 native contrast, 80% rec709 gamut, budget lenses, 50% uniformity, 60% color brightness, compared to the .95 dmd, no color wheel, 180%+ rec709 gamut, high quality lens, led spectrum, and very good dynamic contrast. Im supposed to take anything you say seriously why?

I have it setup so no direct light hits the screen but ambient room light is increased for comfortable viewing. Between the screen and room treatments, contrast is maintained and the only negative is an elevated black level(with 2 300lumen lamps on), but nothing like a white screen in a white room with lights on. I'd say black levels are similar to most budget va tvs like samsungs with 5k native contrast. The observations about the rs45s black levels increasing during brighter scenes also applies when the lights are on. And no the typical increased brightness to fight direct light doesn't apply. Plus it's not like I never watch movies with the lights out... Honestly...

im no expert, but that doesnt seem to be factual either, even native dlp contrast ranges from 500 to 5000(granted only 300 led lumens for 5k native), and the best dynamic dlp systems provide the best contrast in the world albeit for 5 figures, but if you can get 10,000:1 dynamic at 1% apl on a $1000 used dlp machine then your statement is entirely false.
It doesn't take much light to ruin ANSI contrast first of all, very very little. The best dynamic projectors in the world are nothing like normal DLP's, that is different tech entirely.
I didn't say there was no improvement between different DLP's, but dynamic contrast does not apply across the board anyhow, it's limited to some degree.
Not sure why you are getting all upset, I am just giving you my personal opinion, maybe you'd like it better than other projectors, but I don't think most would.

I would be looking at a used JVC, but that's just me. There is no big benefit to bright scenes for DLP over a JVC, you're comparing the RS-45 which has inherent issues with bright scenes that not all JVC's have to that same degree. That is not a good comparison, and even with an RS-45, when properly setup, the difference isn't that big between a DLP and itself with bright scenes. This is not just my opinion, but this has been tested hundreds of times in this forum. So before calling me out and saying I am spewing drivel, you're basically claiming so is everyone else. The difference is motion resolution more than anything else, so if you just want the best motion resolution, then perhaps you are making the best decision for yourself.

I did not say you should invest in a modern budget DLP, but my understanding was that you were buying used anyhow, so there are a lot of options on the table if looking at used projectors.

I don't want to go into all those APL measurements, but 99% of them are not accurate or not interpreted correctly, it's very difficult to interpret data that accurately when talking about such specifics (especially as it applies to actual viewing conditions). Most people in here are not data scientists, and there is a lot of misinterpretation of the data, that's all I'm going to say.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 11-27-2019 at 01:38 PM.
post #33 of 33 Old 11-27-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post

im no expert, but that doesnt seem to be factual either, even native dlp contrast ranges from 500 to 5000(granted only 300 led lumens for 5k native), and the best dynamic dlp systems provide the best contrast in the world albeit for 5 figures, but if you can get 10,000:1 dynamic at 1% apl on a $1000 used dlp machine then your statement is entirely false.
There are almost NO DLP's that provide 5000:1 Native contrast, there were some very old .95" DLP's that provided around 3000:1 to 5000:1, but those are ancient. Some people did measure 5000:1 to 8000:1 Native way way back in the day, but those measurements were never verified by multiple people, and we all know how inaccurate measurements in this stuff can be, especially back in the old days. There was only one projector I know of under $5000 that even provided around 2500+:1 Native on/off, that was the Mitsubishi hc4000. The Runcos back when they came out, most of them were going for $5000+. The other projectors (some Sim2's and similar) you are thinking of were well over $20,000, and that doesn't even count really, and again measurements were not confirmed. Even the Runco LS-5 was only measured at around 2500:1 to maybe 3000:1 depending whom you believe. Dynamic is higher, but dynamic contrast has BIG limitations in real-world viewing unless a projector is hitting 10,000:1 Native from the start.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 11-27-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page