best projector for non light controlled living room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TimHuey

post #1 of 4 Old 10-14-2019, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
best projector for non light controlled living room

Hey there good projector people. I'm looking to upgrade my SONY VPLHW55ES from 2013. I love the idea of a laser projector but it seems like all of the best new laser beams are UST, which won't work for my room. Projector sits about 13' from a 120" Stuart Firehawk electric screen. We typically only watch the projector at night but would love to have enough umph to watch during the twilight hours. I have no delusions of being able to watch it during the day, I just would like an upgrade from what I have. Budget -5k or so. Epson, JVC, sony? So many details in the specs I'm finding it difficult to know which one to go for. Would love to hear some of your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-14-2019, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by todicon View Post
Hey there good projector people. I'm looking to upgrade my SONY VPLHW55ES from 2013. I love the idea of a laser projector but it seems like all of the best new laser beams are UST, which won't work for my room. Projector sits about 13' from a 120" Stuart Firehawk electric screen. We typically only watch the projector at night but would love to have enough umph to watch during the twilight hours. I have no delusions of being able to watch it during the day, I just would like an upgrade from what I have. Budget -5k or so. Epson, JVC, sony? So many details in the specs I'm finding it difficult to know which one to go for. Would love to hear some of your opinions.
I'm looking for the same thing. Options include the Epson 5050, Optoma UHZ65, and there are probably a Benq or two that might work. The JVC LX-NZ3 was just announced, and has 3k lumens with a laser DLP engine and is priced less than $4k, so I'm interested in the reviews on that one. The Epson is a great projector for SDR in a living room environment, but for HDR it would be nice to have a bit more power.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-14-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Nice article at ProjectorCentral regarding your question....

https://www.projectorcentral.com/sim...tor-lumens.htm

For a non direct sunlit room watching movies on a 150" scope 1.3 gain ALR screen I am looking at needing a 4100 lumen calibrated output for HDR content and >90% P3. I would also like it under $5000k please and thank you.

I haven't found the beast but the Benq LK990 and 970 were looking to be the closest contenders so far.
Bytehoven likes this.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-15-2019, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My current Sony has 1700 lumens and it works fairly well. I don't think I need anything over 3k because I never watch it during daylight hours. The JVC looks interesting, I'll be curious to read the reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page