AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Focus and pixel alignment issue on JVC RS35: disappointing (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3096904-focus-pixel-alignment-issue-jvc-rs35-disappointing.html)

jimmyp1974 10-18-2019 03:25 AM

Focus and pixel alignment issue on JVC RS35: disappointing

Hi everyone I am here again to post my disappointment about pixel alignment and focus of a JVC RS35 pre-owned that I just bought. I owned a RS25 in perfect condition great picture quality but not perfect focus. A friend of mine bought a HD990 and I was impressed by its perfect focus and alignment. I had the opportunity to get a RS35 and I was expecting the same result. Unfortunately even with some tweaking the alignment is not perfect as well as the focus. It looks closer to my ex 25 than my friend’s HD990. I am disappointed and willing to return it. I am wondering, am I unlucky or it may happen that even the 35 can show pixel alignment and focus issues? Thank you very much

markmon1 10-18-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyp1974 (Post 58699428)
Hi everyone I am here again to post my disappointment about pixel alignment and focus of a JVC RS35 pre-owned that I just bought. I owned a RS25 in perfect condition great picture quality but not perfect focus. A friend of mine bought a HD990 and I was impressed by its perfect focus and alignment. I had the opportunity to get a RS35 and I was expecting the same result. Unfortunately even with some tweaking the alignment is not perfect as well as the focus. It looks closer to my ex 25 than my friend’s HD990. I am disappointed and willing to return it. I am wondering, am I unlucky or it may happen that even the 35 can show pixel alignment and focus issues? Thank you very much

Have you turned off all digital adjustments such as keystone, pincushion etc? I'd start with alignment and align it to the center. Then display a pixel pattern at 1080p and focus to that. You should be able to see the pixel grid in the white background on your screen. Also, if that thing has eshift, turn it off for focusing (although I think this is prior to eshift days).

jimmyp1974 10-18-2019 06:40 AM

Thank you for your message. Yes all the digital adjustments set off. No e-shift. I tried to tweak with pixel alignment option like always did with other JVCs. No way to get to the perfect alignment like on my friend’s unit that I required only a step of horizontal blue to come to a beautiful perfection. Mine is not and I would like to understand if it is an unfortunate case or it may (rarely) happen with RS35/HD990 units

zombie10k 10-18-2019 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyp1974 (Post 58699428)

Hi, yes it's very possible you have a less than perfect copy of the RS35 even though it was supposed to have hand picked parts. The same thing happened across the RS6x0 line (also sold with concept of hand picked parts). Some of them had focus issues, not great out of the box convergence, etc.

if you are looking for a A+ sample there is going to be some luck and lottery involved. If you get a nice overall quality projector, keep it and try to resist temptation to find something better.

jimmyp1974 10-18-2019 06:54 AM

Dear Zombie 10k I am now so frustrated because I sold my RS25 which was perfect for being a 25 a really good unit close to a ‘perfect’ 35. When I saw my friend’s 990 I thought that I could upgrade...I found this online one owner lamp brand new no scratches so basically a perfect unit at least according to the owner’s opinion. Unfortunately the focus is not perfect...and that ‘more’ that I was looking comparing to my 25 is now gone. I feel quite frustrated and tempted of course to return it and look for a better unit

zombie10k 10-18-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyp1974 (Post 58699746)
Dear Zombie 10k I am now so frustrated because I sold my RS25 which was perfect for being a 25 a really good unit close to a ‘perfect’ 35. When I saw my friend’s 990 I thought that I could upgrade...I found this online one owner lamp brand new no scratches so basically a perfect unit at least according to the owner’s opinion. Unfortunately the focus is not perfect...and that ‘more’ that I was looking comparing to my 25 is now gone. I feel quite frustrated and tempted of course to return it and look for a better unit

Hi, yes sorry to hear. I made a rule years ago, never sell a currently great projector without knowing for certain that the replacement is going to be of the same quality or better. Murphy's law will strike (whatever can go wrong, will go wrong) and you may end up with a less than stellar copy and regret selling the other projector.

good luck in your pursuit of an A+ copy, it's not always easy to find one.

Craig Peer 10-18-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombie10k (Post 58700916)
Hi, yes sorry to hear. I made a rule years ago, never sell a currently great projector without knowing for certain that the replacement is going to be of the same quality or better. Murphy's law will strike (whatever can go wrong, will go wrong) and you may end up with a less than stellar copy and regret selling the other projector.

good luck in your pursuit of an A+ copy, it's not always easy to find one.

Crap, this means if I even contemplate a replacement for my RS4500, I'll need to buy it and test it prior to selling my RS4500 ! :eek: :D

zombie10k 10-18-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Peer (Post 58700986)
Crap, this means if I even contemplate a replacement for my RS4500, I'll need to buy it and test it prior to selling my RS4500 ! :eek: :D

if your current model is awesome, you know the answer is yes!!

I've seen projectors that look like they were built on a Friday 10 mins before happy hour and those that were built by angels with a heavy case of OCD :D

Craig Peer 10-18-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombie10k (Post 58701142)
if your current model is awesome, you know the answer is yes!!

I've seen projectors that look like they were built on a Friday 10 mins before happy hour and those that were built by angels with a heavy case of OCD :D

Mine was touched by the Angels ! ;)

jimmyp1974 10-18-2019 01:02 PM

I think I am going to put on sale my 35

jimmyp1974 10-18-2019 01:08 PM

I feel quite upset actually 😬

zombie10k 10-18-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyp1974 (Post 58701432)
I think I am going to put on sale my 35

Hi, think you got some very good advice in your post a few weeks ago. several people warned to be careful swapping a known good projector for one you didn't have a guarantee was as good copy. Too late to get the RS25 back?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...ce-please.html

jimmyp1974 10-18-2019 03:02 PM

I don’t think I can do it. My only good thought is that the 25 is now with a good guy and his nice family. I was happy to sold it to him. I would only find a perfect 35/990 unit. Is that so complicated? 🙂

jimmyp1974 10-18-2019 04:12 PM

Does Anyone know where to find a used 35/990 in good conditions?