Advice please. JVC NX5 / NX7 for small room (10' x 11.5') - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Advice please. JVC NX5 / NX7 for small room (10' x 11.5')

Hi, I am new to projectors and I have a few questions for you pros..

This will be my first home theater and my first projector purchase. I am building a light controlled dedicated home theater. Due to its small size (10.0' width x 11.5' length x 9' height), I have considered a UST (LG HU85LA), but decided to get a regular projector for better PQ and black level, although I need to build a special shelf for the projector outside the room.

I am looking at either JVC NX5 or NX7. My throw distance is 11'-6" and it will be placed on a shelf at 7'-6" height. See attached diagrams.

1. Lens Shift: According to projector throw distance calculator, I think I should be able to get up to 110" diagonal in 16:9 or 112" diagonal in 2.35:1. At this throw distance, will I be able to project the image on the center of screen using the projector's vertical lens shift? The center of screen will b at 4' high and the projector is at 7.5' high?

2. Screen Aspect Ratio: I am thinking to go with 100" diagonal 2.35:1 screen. Do I need an anamorphic lens? Can I just use JVC's lens memory function to zoom function to fill the screen? I plan to use curtains to cover the black bars on the sides for 16:9 contents, but how visible the black projections outside the screen at the top and bottom when you zoom in for 2.35:1 contents?

3. For 100" 2.35:1 screen in a dedicated light controlled home theater with 11.5' throw distance, which projector should I get between NX5 or NX7. Also any recommendation which screen I should get?

Thank you so much!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HT Room Design AVS3001.pdf (294.2 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 603
If you can afford the RS2000/N7, I say get the best projector. The screen ratio depends on the material you are going to watch on it. I game, watch TV, sports, and movies, so i will use 16:9 more often. I would say get a 100in screen because you don't want to max out your throw
post #3 of 5 Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12541 Post(s)
Liked: 10154
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsandrewl View Post
Hi, I am new to projectors and I have a few questions for you pros..

This will be my first home theater and my first projector purchase. I am building a light controlled dedicated home theater. Due to its small size (10.0' width x 11.5' length x 9' height), I have considered a UST (LG HU85LA), but decided to get a regular projector for better PQ and black level, although I need to build a special shelf for the projector outside the room.

I am looking at either JVC NX5 or NX7. My throw distance is 11'-6" and it will be placed on a shelf at 7'-6" height. See attached diagrams.

1. Lens Shift: According to projector throw distance calculator, I think I should be able to get up to 110" diagonal in 16:9 or 112" diagonal in 2.35:1. At this throw distance, will I be able to project the image on the center of screen using the projector's vertical lens shift? The center of screen will b at 4' high and the projector is at 7.5' high?

2. Screen Aspect Ratio: I am thinking to go with 100" diagonal 2.35:1 screen. Do I need an anamorphic lens? Can I just use JVC's lens memory function to zoom function to fill the screen? I plan to use curtains to cover the black bars on the sides for 16:9 contents, but how visible the black projections outside the screen at the top and bottom when you zoom in for 2.35:1 contents?

3. For 100" 2.35:1 screen in a dedicated light controlled home theater with 11.5' throw distance, which projector should I get between NX5 or NX7. Also any recommendation which screen I should get?

Thank you so much!
RS2000. As for screen, are you going solid or AT? What will you be watching on the projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you both for the replies. I will be watching mostly movies in this room, so I prefer 2/35:1. AT means acoustically transparent? If so, no. I will be getting a regular screen, a fixed frame screen.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Don't forget to take into account the length of the projector when calculating possible screen size. Projection calculators, including JVC's, use the lens position, not the back of the projector. It's a big box, almost 20", so it's not negligible.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP