Upgrade from Sony VPL-HW40es? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Reddig
  • 1 Post By 73shark
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-21-2019, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Upgrade from Sony VPL-HW40es?

Hello I am trying to make the leap into 4K without breaking the bank. My budget is $4k pre tax and I wanted to know if the Epson 6050 ub would be a proper upgrade from my 1080p Sony VPL-HW40ES? I watch movies and play streamed pc games and console games. This is a dedicated theater room 16x16 fully light controlled. My concerns are that the Epson isn’t native 4K. Do I gain that much more jumping to say the Sony 695es? Should I wait one more year in hopes the higher end tech will make it down into the mid range?

Thanks all,
Rockman
Rockman0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 10-21-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,695
Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12674 Post(s)
Liked: 10303
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman0 View Post
Hello I am trying to make the leap into 4K without breaking the bank. My budget is $4k pre tax and I wanted to know if the Epson 6050 ub would be a proper upgrade from my 1080p Sony VPL-HW40ES? I watch movies and play streamed pc games and console games. This is a dedicated theater room 16x16 fully light controlled. My concerns are that the Epson isn’t native 4K. Do I gain that much more jumping to say the Sony 695es? Should I wait one more year in hopes the higher end tech will make it down into the mid range?

Thanks all,
Rockman
If your budget is 4K or less, then not much available in true native 4K. For slightly above your budget, you can get the Sony VW295. Though I will say the Epson 6050 is a good option, as is the JVC RS540, even though they are E-shift projectors.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 10-23-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #3 of 7 Old 10-22-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
73shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KC, MO area
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I also have a Sony VPL-HW40ES and will be interested in following what you come up with. Like you I don't think I'm interested in e-shift or faux-K. Of course then if we wait a few years, we can get 8K.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
73shark is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 10-23-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,695
Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12674 Post(s)
Liked: 10303
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I also have a Sony VPL-HW40ES and will be interested in following what you come up with. Like you I don't think I'm interested in e-shift or faux-K. Of course then if we wait a few years, we can get 8K.
Will be a long time before we actually have 8k content, so waiting on 8K just does not sound like the thing to do. What is your budget?
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #5 of 7 Old 10-23-2019, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central U.S.
Posts: 2,948
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
I upgraded from a Sony 40ES to a JVC RS540 and the difference was nothing short of spectacular. Are they still available tho?
Bytehoven likes this.

JBL Pro/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Roku
Reddig is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 10-23-2019, 11:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
73shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KC, MO area
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Will be a long time before we actually have 8k content, so waiting on 8K just does not sound like the thing to do. What is your budget?
I was joking. I'm in no hurry to upgrade since my Sony provides a great picture.
Archibald1 likes this.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
73shark is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 11-12-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 25,125
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 2261
A couple posts were deleted: Per the owners, when discussing prices in the Tech forums, it's MSRP only.


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...als-forum.html

We have a deals forum to discuss sales or street prices.
rboster is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off