JVC NX-7 a worthwhile upgrade? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Bit off track but.......Yeah i DONT see why the Panasonic players are put on such a high pedastal ... i have the UB9000 and it has been gathering dust for ages now.

I use MadVR for DTM , but with the advent of JVC,s new DTM ....IMO the "old" Oppo 203 that i still have performs better than the UB9000 in many area,s !

Panasonic UB820 and UB9000 are highly overated..
I have no interest in a HTPC, so MadVr is out of the question. I'm also not spending thousands on a Lumagen or Envy and likely won't be upgrading my RS440 for another year. I have found the 820 to have hands down the best tone mapping (SDR/2020 2.4 gamma) versus Arve curves or let alone what Oppo was able to do. So, no, it's far from overrated for some people. Sometimes you need to think outside of your own situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I have no interest in a HTPC, so MadVr is out of the question. I'm also not spending thousands on a Lumagen or Envy and likely won't be upgrading my RS440 for another year. I have found the 820 to have hands down the best tone mapping (SDR/2020 2.4 gamma) versus Arve curves or let alone what Oppo was able to do. So, no, it's far from overrated for some people. Sometimes you need to think outside of your own situation.
So given you used to have an Epson LS10000, would the smart play be to add a Panasonic to my current system or a projector upgrade? My hesitation about buying the Panasonic is I’m about 50/50 UHD disc use vs mkv/streaming.

Realistically, how many hours of bulb use before I’ll actually notice a change in brightness or color?
post #33 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Bit off track but.......Yeah i DONT see why the Panasonic players are put on such a high pedastal ... i have the UB9000 and it has been gathering dust for ages now.

I use MadVR for DTM , but with the advent of JVC,s new DTM ....IMO the "old" Oppo 203 that i still have performs better than the UB9000 in many area,s !

Panasonic UB820 and UB9000 are highly overated..
I stream all my content through Plex and use a Nvidia shield and love the ease of it.

However, I am interested in MadVR for the dynamic tone mapping. Other then a newer projector or Lumagen there is just no other way to get that feature.

MadVR could be the cheapest solution if it’s as good as everyone says. But then I loose the ease of use with the shield. Real world problems you know?!?! Lol

I use static curves and for a majority of the movies it looks fantastic and then you get some that do not. I want to see if MadVR fixes that issue with DTM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
I stream all my content through Plex and use a Nvidia shield and love the ease of it.

However, I am interested in MadVR for the dynamic tone mapping. Other then a newer projector or Lumagen there is just no other way to get that feature.

MadVR could be the cheapest solution if it’s as good as everyone says. But then I loose the ease of use with the shield. Real world problems you know?!?! Lol

I use static curves and for a majority of the movies it looks fantastic and then you get some that do not. I want to see if MadVR fixes that issue with DTM.
In my set-up, I'm only watching discs which is also probably an advantage for the 820 with SDR/2020. I have yet to find a UHD BD look 'odd' (too dark, too clipped, etc.). Occasionally, a Disney/MCU title might require a 1-2 click bump up with the lumiance slider, but 95% of the time with my 820 it's set and forget.
Craig Peer and coxy2416 like this.
post #35 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccondo1 View Post
So given you used to have an Epson LS10000, would the smart play be to add a Panasonic to my current system or a projector upgrade? My hesitation about buying the Panasonic is I’m about 50/50 UHD disc use vs mkv/streaming.

Realistically, how many hours of bulb use before I’ll actually notice a change in brightness or color?
I cannot speak to streaming, but for discs, I think the 820 would be the best option with the LS10000 outside of MadVr and Lumagen.
post #36 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
In my opinion, there is no contest between the LS10000 and NX7. The LS10000 is a very good projector (I used to own one), but the JVC is in another league especially for sharpness, tone mapping, and contrast. It's also brighter, much better lens, better grey uniformity, and obviously native 4K.

As far as lamps vs laser; the latest JVC lamps are very stable and we know laser still drifts and isn't the panacea we hoped it would be (so far anyway).
I guess what I am asking is, when accounting for expense, if you were in my position would you a) buy a JVC NX7 or b) delay purchasing a new projector and buy the Panasonic for the tone mapping abilities?

I suspect the new projector is going to yield the most change based my my viewing habits and I think I’ll get 29 FL instead of 20.
post #37 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccondo1 View Post
I guess what I am asking is, when accounting for expense, if you were in my position would you a) buy a JVC NX7 or b) delay purchasing a new projector and buy the Panasonic for the tone mapping abilities?

I suspect the new projector is going to yield the most change based my my viewing habits and I think I’ll get 29 FL instead of 20.
I cannot speak for your financial budget. I mean going with the NX7 is going to give a big upgrade here, but at more money. I guess it just depends on what you want to do. I will say, if you keep your LS10000, the 820 will help a lot (at least on discs - I don't stream, so I cannot help there). But the NX7 will give the biggest change/improvement overall by a long shot (assuming you have a decently dark room).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page